Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Of the three great actresses in "The First Lady," who will win all the awards?

Make your predictions now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141May 19, 2022 1:44 PM

Gillian Anderson neither looks nor sounds even remotely like Eleanor Roosevelt.

by Anonymousreply 1April 9, 2022 3:34 AM

None. Looks bad.

by Anonymousreply 2April 9, 2022 3:37 AM

I think the show will be average at best and won't get any Emmy odds. I like Viola Davis, but she was the wrong choice for Michelle Obama. In this picture that shows comparison to the real Obamas, O.T. Fagbenle looks ok as Barack, but Viola looks awkward as fuck as Michelle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 9, 2022 3:58 AM

lol at this other comparsion pic in the link below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 9, 2022 4:00 AM

What, no Jackie On Assistance?

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2022 4:19 AM

If the shows gets renewed for a second season, maybe Jackie on Assistance will be featured. If the show gets a second season, they should feature Nancy Cunt Reagan and focus a little bit on how Nancy got advice from psychics and astrologers especially Jeane Dixon.

by Anonymousreply 6April 9, 2022 4:29 AM

I want to see Babs floor the accelerator and flatten her unfaithful beau.

by Anonymousreply 7April 9, 2022 4:34 AM

I think we should capitalize the O in Jackie On assistance.

by Anonymousreply 8April 9, 2022 4:35 AM

R7 I think you mean Laura Pickles Bush.

by Anonymousreply 9April 9, 2022 4:36 AM

Of course you’re right. I should never post while succumbing to my melatonin.

by Anonymousreply 10April 9, 2022 4:42 AM

That 'Jackie On Assistance' shit was never funny, just yet another meme that Aspie Dlers run into the ground.

by Anonymousreply 11April 9, 2022 4:49 AM

Here's a picture of teenage Laura Bush. Which young brunette actress would perfect for the role as a psycho teen Laura?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 9, 2022 4:49 AM

I think Michelle P. has the best chance to stand out. To surprise.

We've seen Eleanor a million times in a million shows/bios and Michelle Obama is, well, Michelle Obama. Known by everyone on the planet.

Betty Ford, for people under 50, is just a name of a famous drunk clinic. So much room for Michelle P to shine.

by Anonymousreply 13April 9, 2022 5:43 AM

I agree about Michelle, although she looks too skinny.

Viola as Michelle Obama is laughable. It looks so awkward.

by Anonymousreply 14April 9, 2022 6:28 AM

Betty Ford has the best story: an intelligent woman, a former dancer, who really did not want to be First Lady and refused to change herself and play the perfect subservient wife like her predecessor Pat Nixon. Her husband Gerald Ford was surprised being First Lady was hard on her, and didn't even really notice that she got so drunk she would pass out most nights (his daughter Susan had to bring it to his attention).

Betty got such extensive plastic surgery after leaving the White House that later in life she was nearly unrecognizable. She made a HUGE impact as First Lady given her outspokenness about abortion and pre-marital sex.

by Anonymousreply 15April 9, 2022 6:34 AM

Betty Ford was a trailblazer in introducing breast cancer awareness into the public discourse.

by Anonymousreply 16April 9, 2022 6:47 AM

Viola will guilt trip all the voters constantly and badger them into voting for her. She can talk about how she has suffered even more than Michelle Obama.

by Anonymousreply 17April 9, 2022 6:50 AM

It's a Showtime show so while some may get nominations, they'll lose to someone from a HBO show.

by Anonymousreply 18April 9, 2022 6:58 AM

[quote] Viola as Michelle Obama is laughable. It looks so awkward.

Michelle Obama has warm traits in her smile, facial features, and mannerisms. Viola doesn't really have those traits and I think that's why she looks very awkward and laughable. Regina King might have been a better casting. BET did a dream casting of an Obama biopic and King was their pic for Michelle, but some of their dream cast picks were pretty laughable especially one of the suggestions for Obama. They did have a good dream casting pick for Mitt Romney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 9, 2022 11:44 AM

R17 lol that made me laugh. Viola Davis has an entitled fanbase who will probably whine up a storm if she doesn't get an Emmy nomination or if some critics pan her performance.

Not surprising--Viola is already on the prediction lists of the Gold Derby experts and editors. Michelle Pfeiffer and Gillian Anderson are on some of the prediction lists. I have to give credit to the experts or editors who boldly have Lily James for Pam&Tommy on their lists. That wasn't an Emmy worthy mini-series, but Lily managed to portray Pam Anderson well in a way that didn't come off as awkward or weird. I doubt she'll get nomination though. But, it was a casting choice that did pay off performance wise.

Gold Derby editors and experts often go with the "pure name recognition" picks even though they know some of the performances aren't award worthy. But, sometimes their predictions never pan out. I remember for two or three years, there were some experts and editors who kept predicting Rita Moreno getting a nomination for that awful One Day At A Time reboot. She sucked in that show and never got an Emmy nomination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 9, 2022 12:20 PM

Are they gonna bring up Steven Ford?

by Anonymousreply 21April 9, 2022 12:26 PM

Pfeiffer’s the one getting all the praise in early reviews.

by Anonymousreply 22April 9, 2022 12:43 PM

I'm going with Michelle Pfeiffer because in the previews it seems like she's the one who's really just being open and free with her role. She's letting loose and going for it. I could very well be proven wrong when this airs, though.

Gillian looks nothing like Roosevelt. Nothing. It's distracting. Not even remotely close to Roosevelt in height or anything. She looks like a pioneer wife on the prairie. Distracting I tell you.

Viola is good casting in theory because she is a self made lady who is scandal free. Love her or hate her she truly did grow up in abject poverty and got in good with the world of academics to escape it. The thing with her in the previews is that it seems like she's trying a bit too hard, but like with Michelle Pfeiffer my opinion might be proven wrong when this airs.

I feel like I'm contradicting myself a bit but I guess I feel like Michelle Pfeiffer is going to go for it with this in a way the other two actresses won't. A fair amount of people might not remember Betty Ford. She really did raise a bit of heck in the White House a wee bit.

I'll stop rambling now.

by Anonymousreply 23April 9, 2022 12:58 PM

Absolutely loved Betty Ford

by Anonymousreply 24April 9, 2022 1:06 PM

Michelle should win. Viola will win.

If she doesn’t Jada Pinkett will get herself banned from the Emmys for 10 years also.

by Anonymousreply 25April 9, 2022 1:15 PM

Julianne looks and acts like she's playing Gillian Anderson playing Eleanor Roosevelt.

by Anonymousreply 26April 9, 2022 1:18 PM

Why is Viola Davis getting seniority billing over the other two who were stars long before her?

by Anonymousreply 27April 9, 2022 1:31 PM

From the Hollywood Reporter review.

[quote] But too many of the cast fall back on physical mimicry rather than emotional embodiment, perhaps because, faced with such blandly written characters, the actors don’t have much else to go on. At some point, it becomes more distracting to see how hard Davis is working to move her mouth like Obama’s than it probably would have been to simply accept that Michelle Obama looks like Viola Davis in this universe. Likewise, Fagbenle and Sutherland’s vocal impressions of Barack Obama and FDR, respectively, never stop feeling like just that — impressions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 9, 2022 1:41 PM

[quote]Michelle should win. Viola will win.

Well, sometimes Viola loses. I had a laugh that night last year when she lost to me.

by Anonymousreply 29April 9, 2022 2:15 PM

Michelle should have got a movie focusing just on Betty Ford.

by Anonymousreply 30April 9, 2022 2:18 PM

I hope Laverne Cox plays Michelle! So cool!

by Anonymousreply 31April 9, 2022 2:26 PM

I saw a clip of Michelle and she seemed really stiff and awkward. From fillers, her face has no lines so she looks like an alien. This POS is not winning any awards.

by Anonymousreply 32April 9, 2022 2:29 PM

Vivian Vance as Mamie Eisenhower

by Anonymousreply 33April 9, 2022 2:31 PM

Who would have been better casting for Eleanor Roosevelt? I can’t think of anyone who looks anything like her.

by Anonymousreply 34April 9, 2022 2:55 PM

Cynthia Nixon (with false teeth) actually made a good Eleanor Roosevelt a few years ago in "Warm Springs."

by Anonymousreply 35April 9, 2022 4:48 PM

Cynthia Nixon should always wear false teeth because her real ones are golden brown like a Wendy’s French fry

by Anonymousreply 36April 9, 2022 9:41 PM

When does this air?

by Anonymousreply 37April 9, 2022 10:25 PM

R37 Next Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 38April 9, 2022 11:25 PM

Uh oh. Viola is already throwing shade at Gillian Anderson's portrayal of Roosevelt. She knows not to mess with Michelle Pfeiffer because Michelle will cut a bitch with one look and no words spoken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 11, 2022 12:24 AM

[QUOTE] Of the three great actresses in "The First Lady," who will win all the awards?

They would dare give any to a non-POC actress?

What year are you living in? 1992?

by Anonymousreply 40April 11, 2022 12:32 AM

Helen Lawson is Helen Herron Taft: Forgotten First Lady

"You won't forget this performance! Not since those high kicks at the Kennedy Center Honors has Lawson so dominated an all-star cast!" [italic]Variety[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 41April 11, 2022 12:34 AM

[quote]Viola is already throwing shade at Gillian Anderson's portrayal of Roosevelt.

Viola is a smug cunt.

by Anonymousreply 42April 11, 2022 2:04 AM

R42 She says (to paraphrase) it was not like she was playing someone who had been dead for 100 years and she gestured toward Gillian a bit when she said it. Knives draw. Shade thrown. This is goofy escapism for me, man.

by Anonymousreply 43April 11, 2022 4:59 PM

First episode is already out on the Showtime app. First episode was ok, but not great.

by Anonymousreply 44April 17, 2022 10:47 PM

Shit series trashed in reviews. Nobody is winning anything except a raspberry.

by Anonymousreply 45April 17, 2022 11:18 PM

It looks like they put some kind of prosthetics on Viola to make her look more like Michelle O, but it fails.

I admit I loved the campy scenes of Ellen Burstyn as meddling Sara Roosvelet bitching out with Gillian's Eleanor. Kiefer Sutherland is awkward as FDR.

by Anonymousreply 46April 17, 2022 11:24 PM

Just from the clips I’ve seen Viola is the most successful. Michelle is too pretty to play Betty and I don’t give a fuck about Eleanor or Gillian.

by Anonymousreply 47April 17, 2022 11:48 PM

Gillian is the phoniest of phonies.

by Anonymousreply 48April 17, 2022 11:48 PM

Does Eleanor Roosevelt eat pussy in this?

by Anonymousreply 49April 18, 2022 12:09 AM

R27 Because she's the one with an oscar.

by Anonymousreply 50April 18, 2022 12:13 AM

Was the academy forced to give Viola an Oscar ? For what role ?

by Anonymousreply 51April 18, 2022 12:15 AM

Viola because she is black.

by Anonymousreply 52April 18, 2022 12:34 AM

Social media isn't happy with Viola's portrayal of Michelle.

It would be hilarious if she gets shut out and Julia Roberts gets a nod for that Gaslit series.

by Anonymousreply 53April 19, 2022 3:21 AM

[quote] I don’t give a fuck about Eleanor

then you're stupid and boorish.

by Anonymousreply 54April 19, 2022 3:30 AM

If Viola Davis wins it will be based on her other work because she sucks in this show

by Anonymousreply 55April 19, 2022 3:33 AM

Twitter consensus is that’s Viola and Gillian are both ridiculous so Michelle Pfeiffer wins in a walkover. Plus she gets to be drunk in character.

by Anonymousreply 56April 19, 2022 6:47 AM

This will prompt the Razzies to start giving worst awards for TV as well as movies.

by Anonymousreply 57April 19, 2022 6:52 AM

I want to see Laura Bush played by Amy Sedaris in the next season.

by Anonymousreply 58April 19, 2022 7:03 AM

Only if they reenact the auto accident, R58.

by Anonymousreply 59April 19, 2022 11:13 AM

Pfeiffer looks fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 60April 19, 2022 11:15 AM

Who does me?

by Anonymousreply 61April 19, 2022 2:31 PM

Caitlyn Jenner, r61.

by Anonymousreply 62April 19, 2022 3:10 PM

Everyone, Melanoma.

by Anonymousreply 63April 19, 2022 5:23 PM

Telling from the very short clips that were posted, I would prefer Kate Mulgrew.

by Anonymousreply 64April 19, 2022 8:16 PM

[quote] Just from the clips I’ve seen Viola is the most successful.

This didn't age well.

Whoever directed Viola had it in for her, or they were too intimidated by her to tell her that looked and acted ridiculously.

by Anonymousreply 65April 19, 2022 11:21 PM

Eleanor Roosevelt needs to be retired as a part. Jane Alexander did it fifty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 66April 19, 2022 11:36 PM

Now there's a part for G. She can use her singing voice and spare us all her Norma.

by Anonymousreply 67April 19, 2022 11:37 PM

Pfeiffer shines in this. They should have just done a series about Betty Ford, someone who’s been overlooked through the years. We know about Eleanor and doing Michelle Obama already is a tad premature.

by Anonymousreply 68April 19, 2022 11:57 PM

Isn’t Viola the producer? No one was going to tell her shit.

by Anonymousreply 69April 19, 2022 11:57 PM

I agree that Michelle Pfeiffer is doing the best job, at least so far. I also agree that Viola Davis was miscast in this. Maybe she'll be better in the upcoming episodes. I'm skeptical, though.

by Anonymousreply 70April 20, 2022 12:09 AM

Glenn Close is OLD Eleanor at the U.N.

by Anonymousreply 71April 20, 2022 12:53 AM

I quite like it. I like the Ford story best because it's least known. The Obama story is more credible than I expected.

by Anonymousreply 72April 20, 2022 2:13 AM

[quote] Isn’t Viola the producer? No one was going to tell her shit.

Yup, she's a producer on the show. I agree, no one was going to tell her shit and I doubt anyone in pre-production had the balls to tell her about considering other actresses for the Michelle role.

by Anonymousreply 73April 20, 2022 2:58 AM

Bai Ling IS Melania.

by Anonymousreply 74April 20, 2022 6:53 PM

I wish Michelle would really get buzz, it’s sad that in her distinguished career she’s only ever won ONE golden globe and nothing else. An Emmy would help

by Anonymousreply 75April 20, 2022 9:51 PM

If am not familiar with Eleanor Roosevelt (Aussie here) will Anderson’s performance be as odd/of- putting to me the way Davis’ is?

by Anonymousreply 76April 22, 2022 4:48 AM

They should edit out the Gillian and Viola parts and make it solely about Pfeiffer's storyline as Betty Ford.

by Anonymousreply 77April 22, 2022 12:22 PM

Gillian was just Margaret Thatcher

Bitch, no!

by Anonymousreply 78April 22, 2022 3:41 PM

R77 I'm watching episode 2 now and the Betty Ford parts are the only decent parts. Gillian Anderson isn't great at Eleanor Roosevelt, but I did like the scene of ER talking to a man standing on a free meal line. Very kind and touching scene.

by Anonymousreply 79April 24, 2022 4:40 PM

Since she's short, and her grooming for the role is so much tidier and severe than the real Eleanor Roosevelt (who always looked bedraggled, bless her) ever affected, Gillian Anderson actually looks far more like the pretty and well-coiffed Lou Hoover than as her frowsy successor as First Lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 24, 2022 4:58 PM

And [italic] I [/italic] narrated ER in the revered Ken Burns documentary The Roosevelts... still unspooling regularly on PBS stations across this great country. Well, in the parts of this country where people watch PBS, which by definition makes them great.

Dear Gillian, she seems to be following me like G, only with a shot at coming close.

by Anonymousreply 81April 24, 2022 5:05 PM

If only the M and G jokes improved with time, rather than rotted from them...

by Anonymousreply 82April 24, 2022 5:08 PM

The M and G bullshit has never been funny. Hopefully the dementia-addled OCD queen who posts that garbage will die soon.

by Anonymousreply 83April 24, 2022 6:59 PM

You seem like a really nice person, R83, and I imagine you could write a book on how to use measured reason to convince.

by Anonymousreply 84April 24, 2022 7:14 PM

r84 the M/G poster is an unfunny asshole.

by Anonymousreply 85April 24, 2022 7:35 PM

R85, the M/G poster is loads of different people, you big dope. It's a DL thing, like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 86April 25, 2022 12:34 AM

And nothing any of them post is worse than hoping someone dies over an innocuous post. Maybe have a little think, R85.

by Anonymousreply 87April 25, 2022 12:35 AM

r87 it's tired, tired shit that's never been funny. One of the many tics of Aspielounge.

by Anonymousreply 88April 25, 2022 12:37 AM

The M/G quotes are lame because there isn't an M vs. G feud so they seem futile and pointless. It's not like the Olivia de Havilland vs. Joan Fontaine jokes which ARE funny because there is a true backstory which those jokes work from.

by Anonymousreply 89April 25, 2022 2:20 AM

I wouldn't doubt it if Glen Close has some envy towards Meryl and other actresses who have least an Oscar or two on their mantle.

by Anonymousreply 90April 25, 2022 3:27 AM

[quote] They should edit out the Gillian and Viola parts and make it solely about Pfeiffer's storyline as Betty Ford

The Betty Ford parts of the show are the best so far. Gillian wasn't that bad in episode 2 imo.

by Anonymousreply 91April 25, 2022 3:40 AM

Gillian and Viola are HORRIBLE. Especially Viola. They don't need to try and imitate each of the First Lady's mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 92April 25, 2022 4:45 AM

Olivia Colman would be good as Eleanor Roosevelt, although I don;t know if she can do a good American accent. She would get the warmth and the good humor and the awkwardness.

by Anonymousreply 93April 25, 2022 4:46 AM

[quote] Olivia Colman would be good as Eleanor Roosevelt, although I don;t know if she can do a good American accent. She would get the warmth and the good humor and the awkwardness.

I just saw her in Murder On The Orient Express and can say I’ve had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 94April 25, 2022 5:55 AM

Don't suggest any American historical figure roles for the horse woman Colman. She needs to stay in her lane and leave American actresses alone. I'm still bitter by her mere existence.

by Anonymousreply 95April 25, 2022 12:46 PM

That M/G shit is not funny and never has been.

by Anonymousreply 96April 25, 2022 1:54 PM

To me Eleanor Roosevelt has been completely overdone by this point. There's been more than forty first ladies. That's not slim pickings.

by Anonymousreply 97April 25, 2022 2:05 PM

Time Magazine said Viola's biggest flaw in the role is she brings no warmth to her character.

by Anonymousreply 98April 25, 2022 2:13 PM

R98 I agree, for the most part on that. I did think the scene of Michelle and her mother in episode 2 was warm and sweet. Overall, she still sucks in the role.

by Anonymousreply 99April 25, 2022 2:43 PM

Brooke Shields could do a mean Melania.

by Anonymousreply 100April 25, 2022 3:29 PM

R90, she has a strong jaw and an unforgettable singing voice. She is... memorable.

by Anonymousreply 101April 25, 2022 4:11 PM

If they make a single edit of the Betty Ford segments with Michelle, they could release it as a standalone feature film and get her Oscar buzz.

by Anonymousreply 102April 25, 2022 4:33 PM

r12, she looks like Selena Gomez!

by Anonymousreply 103April 25, 2022 4:55 PM

R40 They won't. They cannot give someone else an award and not Davis, too.

by Anonymousreply 104April 25, 2022 6:45 PM

Viola ain't winning shit for this Michelle mess.

by Anonymousreply 105April 25, 2022 10:57 PM

CCH Pounder would’ve been a great Michelle Obama.

by Anonymousreply 106April 26, 2022 2:32 AM

I just don't understand how Viola can be THIS bad.

It's like I'm watching a horrible community college one act play written and performed by some Lea Michelle type.

by Anonymousreply 107April 26, 2022 8:01 AM

Viola’s occasional Southern blaccent doesn’t sound like Michelle’s Chicago tones at all.

And Laura Bush wasn’t an idiot. I find it hard to believes she would deposit Michelle Obama in front of a slave painting during the White House tour.

by Anonymousreply 108April 26, 2022 9:03 AM

[quote] And Laura Bush wasn’t an idiot. I find it hard to believes she would deposit Michelle Obama in front of a slave painting during the White House tour.

I thought that scene was so cringeworthy and total BS.

by Anonymousreply 109April 26, 2022 8:21 PM

Third episode is basically flashback episode of the first ladies. The actress who plays younger Michelle Obama seem to have a bit more warmth than Viola's portrayal of older Michelle.

Eliza Scanlan was sort of charming as a young Eleanor.

by Anonymousreply 110May 1, 2022 4:15 PM

OP, you lost me at "three great actresses."

by Anonymousreply 111May 1, 2022 4:22 PM

[quote]I admit I loved the campy scenes of Ellen Burstyn as meddling Sara Roosvelet bitching out with Gillian's Eleanor. Kiefer Sutherland is awkward as FDR.

I read this as "Ellen Barkin" at first - and went "whaaaat?"

Now I want to see Ellen Barkin as Sara Roosevelt. "Cut the shit, Eleanor."

by Anonymousreply 112May 1, 2022 4:36 PM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 113May 4, 2022 4:55 AM

Vivian Vance as Mamie Eisenhower.

by Anonymousreply 114May 4, 2022 7:25 AM

R111, Pfeiffer is a great actress. No one in their right mind would state otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 115May 10, 2022 6:25 PM

My first though of actress upon looking at this pic is Kathy Bates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 10, 2022 6:31 PM

Have they shown Eleanor doing some muff diving yet?

by Anonymousreply 117May 10, 2022 9:43 PM

The other problem with this show is that is not directed by an American. The body language of the guy doing Nixon’s characteristic wave when departing Marine 1 was pure SNL.

You can hear Viola Davis really working hard on the vocal cadences but it is entirely unnatural.

The whole thing is entirely unnatural.

by Anonymousreply 118May 14, 2022 7:26 AM

The key thing is that Michelle was never a hysterical, angry black woman, she was unjustly characterised that way. Whereas Viola is an emotional, angry black woman.

by Anonymousreply 119May 14, 2022 7:28 AM

R39, Someone once told me I had “Michelle Pfeiffer’s eyes” and now I understand- I show all my emotion with them, it’s truly my best blessing and when I’m angry- my worst curse at times!

by Anonymousreply 120May 14, 2022 7:40 AM

[quote]I thought that scene was so cringeworthy and total BS.

Especially since they had so effectively choreographed the moment with the reactions by the black staff, as the Obamas arrived. It was an impressive bit of directing and then the anvil falling on the art tour.

Plus I never bought that Laura Bush would have hung such modern art anywhere in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 121May 14, 2022 2:12 PM

Michelle Pfeiffer is a triumph in this thing... I don't know when I've enjoyed a performance of her's more... she's doing well playing the fun part of Betty Ford... you get why she was so liberal and forward thinking... she had a light heart oftentimes.

by Anonymousreply 122May 14, 2022 2:13 PM

I loved the scene of drunk Betty dancing to Coconut by Harry Nilsson. I wonder if there are gifs online somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 123May 16, 2022 2:13 AM

You mean Razzies right?

by Anonymousreply 124May 16, 2022 2:19 AM

There should a TV version of the Razzies. Viola deserves all the dragging she's been getting. I think she expected this to be some kind of slam dunk role for her. But, she's shitty in the role.

by Anonymousreply 125May 16, 2022 3:00 AM

If Viola is nominated for her horrible performance, the Emmys lose any credibility they were latching onto.

by Anonymousreply 126May 16, 2022 3:15 AM

Emmy voters in the past have given "pure name recognition" type nominations in the past for not so great performances. It wouldn't be too surprising if they did that for Viola. But, I think there's a good chance she won't get nominated, a lot of reviews didn't praise Viola, many viewers have mocked her, and the show isn't getting a lot of attention like other limited series have been getting or received. Also, her whiny comments about the critics who call out her shit performance might have soured some Emmy voters on her.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ellen Burstyn gets shut out of supporting actress category. She's been good as Sara Delano Roosevelt. But, the show is under the radar. It's also another example of how not every limited series on cable or a streaming service becomes a huge critical hit.

by Anonymousreply 127May 16, 2022 3:05 PM

Ellen Burstyn gets an Emmy nomination every time she farts - and why not, she’s great. Voters love her. Remember that time she was nominated for Mrs Harris, for 2 lines and 14 seconds (yes, SECONDS) of screen time?

by Anonymousreply 128May 16, 2022 3:49 PM

Ellen Burstyn should've won the Oscar for Requiem For A Dream, that was an incredible, heartbreaking performance. Instead, Julia Roberts won. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 129May 16, 2022 4:59 PM

I'm only watching the Betty Ford parts now. The Michelle parts suck and as others have said we've already seen Eleanor Roosevelt's story 1000 times, and with better actresses.

Perhaps this whole show should've just been Michelle as Betty.

by Anonymousreply 130May 17, 2022 1:49 AM

It makes more sense to used "Obama" than "Michelle" considering Pfeiffer's involvement in the series.

by Anonymousreply 131May 17, 2022 1:52 AM

*use

by Anonymousreply 132May 17, 2022 1:52 AM

MP is amazing. A terrific performance.

by Anonymousreply 133May 17, 2022 11:56 PM

I wonder if Betty Ford knew how many gaylings blew their wads in the early 80’s fantasizing what Andy & Paul were doing together on Y&R.

by Anonymousreply 134May 19, 2022 5:44 AM

I can’t wait until they do the sadistic bitch Mamie Eisenhower trying to induce a miscarriage in a very pregnant Jackie Kennedy with a marathon tour of the White House, making sure Jackie was on her feet the entire time. It was a furious Dwight’s intercession that foiled his wife’s diabolical plot.

by Anonymousreply 135May 19, 2022 5:58 AM

Three?

by Anonymousreply 136May 19, 2022 6:16 AM

Jackie had already given birth. She was still recovering.

by Anonymousreply 137May 19, 2022 6:16 AM

Man, if Michelle Pfeiffer didn't win the Emmy with last episode's ending scene, I don't know what will. Perfection.

No more Viola. No more Gillian. All Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 138May 19, 2022 8:42 AM

Viola is awful in this series. That mouth thing must piss Michelle off.

by Anonymousreply 139May 19, 2022 10:09 AM

I'm not hating on Viola like a lot of people are but I get the basis for their complaints. She does seem to throw herself around physically in the walk, no matter what happens. It's like she's shouldering her way through a crowd.

by Anonymousreply 140May 19, 2022 11:18 AM

I have to wonder how Viola prepared for the role. She flops at most of Michelle Obama's mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 141May 19, 2022 1:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!