Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Woody Allen should go to the next Oscars and just sit and stare at everyone

It would be delicious!

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2022 5:00 AM

Woody Allen will be 87, what else would he do?

by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2022 8:19 PM

Mouth “Mia is a bitch” silently!

by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2022 8:23 PM

The only time he's been to the oscars was in 2002 when he made a speech in tribute to New York after 9/11. I don't think he would show up now.

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2022 8:25 PM

Woody could go with the Baldwinitó familia and bring Roman Polanski on an IPad via FaceTime.

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2022 8:51 PM

You have to be invited to go don't you? Or if you're a member of AMPAS you get invited no matter what? I know the rules have been different due to the pandemic

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2022 9:25 PM

Will Smith should show up.

Now THAT would be delicious.

by Anonymousreply 6April 9, 2022 1:02 AM

Bump. I'm watching "Deconstructing Harry" for the first time. Jesus, is it vulgar. Woody must have been incredibly horny making this film. It's more overtly sex-obsessed than anything of his I've ever seen, with the addition of words like "fuck" and "cunt" which he didn't really use in his earlier movies that I can recall. This was 1997, when he was in his 60s. I'm not enjoying it, despite the all-star cast. Oh, and endless attractive women falling madly in love with his character as per ushe. What a racket he had going.

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2022 2:24 AM

I love this idea!

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2022 2:27 AM

I love Deconstructing Harry, but to each his own, R7. Kirstie Alley as the unhinged insane ex wife is brilliant, though I despise her as a person. I thought the Robin Williams out of focus idea was a stroke of genius, as well. Plus, the Hell sequences.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2022 3:11 AM

Fair enough R9. It's just that last night I watched "Crimes and Misdemeanors," which to me was far superior.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2022 3:26 AM

Ok the hell scenes are funny. I always enjoy heaven and hell scenes.

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2022 3:30 AM

R11, have you seen Rowan Atkinson as the devil?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2022 4:24 AM

Of course, R9. Crimes & Misdemeanors is a masterpiece, easily one of the top 10 of Woody’s 50+ films/movies. I’d be so curious to see Sean Young’s cut scenes from that, though she does briefly appear. The cut scenes and re-filmed segments from Woody Allen films could be a fascinating documentary, especially if any of that footage still exists. Famously, September was totally filmed and them recast and re-shot with a different cast, not to mention many other examples (not to that extreme extent).

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2022 4:53 AM

Who was Sean Young supposed to play?

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2022 3:33 PM

Sydney Pollack was great in Husbands and Wives

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2022 3:40 PM

Stanley Kubrick actually offered Sydney Pollack’s role in Eyes Wide Shut to Woody Allen.

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2022 3:46 PM

It's amazing that Stanley Kubrick considered Woody Allen, Sydney Pollack and Harvey Keitel for the same character. They're three actors with vastly different acting styles, and almost no similarity between them.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2022 3:56 PM

[quote]Bump. I'm watching "Deconstructing Harry" for the first time. Jesus, is it vulgar. Woody must have been incredibly horny making this film. It's more overtly sex-obsessed than anything of his I've ever seen, with the addition of words like "fuck" and "cunt" which he didn't really use in his earlier movies that I can recall. This was 1997, when he was in his 60s.

I think he was going through a phase with the language. He commented in his memoir that if he could do Mighty Aphrodite over, he would clean up the talk in it, and Mighty Aphrodite was from the same period. Two before Deconstructing Harry.

The first Allen movie where I really notice a coarsening of the language is Husbands and Wives, one of his masterpieces.

I haven't seen Deconstructing Harry in a long time. I recall some inspired and really funny moments, but overall unevenness and too much self-regard (albeit a covert type -- the Allen stand-in gets criticized a lot, but he's clearly the number-one topic in the mind of everyone around him).

[quote]Famously, September was totally filmed and then recast and re-shot with a different cast, not to mention many other examples (not to that extreme extent).

True. We actually see Michael Keaton as the adventurer movie character who steps down from the screen in at least one long shot in Purple Rose of Cairo. Allen just didn't bother reshooting the scene after firing Keaton and recasting the part with Jeff Daniels, because it's at a distance. If you're not looking for it, you can't tell.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2022 4:07 PM

[quote] It's amazing that Stanley Kubrick considered Woody Allen, Sydney Pollack and Harvey Keitel for the same character. They're three actors with vastly different acting styles, and almost no similarity between them.

They’re all really, really Jewish

Eyes Wide Shut is basically about a Jewish Illuminati that preys on women

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2022 4:40 PM

Love most of his movies. Love Roman Polanski’s too. Sex pests sometimes are quite talented!

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2022 5:30 PM

Woody in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s: Almost always good, often great, the occasional dud. Woody in the 2000s, 2010s, 2020s: Many duds, occasionally good, never truly great.

Of course, he's in his eighties now, and maybe no one could keep up his pace forever. His creative fall-off (IMO) started around the time he married Soon-Yi and they adopted children. He seemed less and less engaged with the world. When you watch something like Bananas, those relationship psychobabble conversations he and Louise Lasser have, besides being really funny, are dead on for the movie's time. His latest, Rifkin's Festival, is like Zombie Woody.

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2022 3:53 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2022 6:25 PM

Can someone answer the Sean Young question above? I really can’t imagine who she would have been playing in “Crimes and Misdemeanors.” The Angelica Huston role? I don’t see that working at all.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2022 7:39 PM

R23: Usually when an actor is described as being in cut scenes, it means they were playing a character who now isn't in the film at all. It wasn't a case of Young being recast with Huston, Farrow, Gleason, Aaron, etc. She was playing another love interest for Cliff. Cliff and the Sean Young character were going to be making out at the wedding at the end. They would be discovered by the crowd when a curtain opened or something like that.

The Cliff/Halley/Lester portion of the movie, the more comedic half, went through a lot of rethinking and rewriting. There was to be much more of Daryl Hannah too, originally. Also, instead of the documentary about the philosopher who had survived the Holocaust, Cliff's passion project was a documentary about a nursing home where elderly former vaudevillians live. And his young niece was helping him pursue Halley and be Halley's dream man (that part got recycled for Everyone Says 'I Love You').

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2022 5:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!