Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Feud Season 2 is greenlit: Naomi Watts will play Babe Paley

From the allstar eldergay trio of Ryan Murphy, Gus Van Sant and Jon Robin Baitz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 12, 2023 12:35 AM

This trash is not authorized.

by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2022 6:43 PM

“That’ll do, Babe. That’ll do.”

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2022 7:53 PM

Nice! I read the book a couple months ago. It’s quite good.

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2022 8:23 PM

Naomi Watts is 53, the age Babe Paley was in 1968. So age-appropriate casting, thankfully.

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2022 8:32 PM

They are going to have one hell of a time finding someone fabulous enough to play me.

by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2022 11:10 PM

That is a shit choice.

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2022 11:22 PM

Sounds like DL catnip.

by Anonymousreply 7April 1, 2022 11:23 PM

I thought they already had a season 2. Wasn’t there one after the Betty and Joan series?

by Anonymousreply 8April 1, 2022 11:48 PM

r8, they announced they were going to do "Charles & Diana," but then they canceled--everyone assumed becuse "The Crown" was close to starting the fourth season, which would do the Charles & Diana story on a much bigger scale than they could ever do at F/X.

I think this is a very good choice.They've discovered people really have an appetite right now for stories about the wealthiest of the wealthy, given the success of 'The Crown," "The Gilded Age," "Succession," etc.

by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2022 12:01 AM

I'm fine with this. Seems like it will be a nice enough good time to watch a little bit at a time in bed with perhaps a bit of chocolate to snack on. Why not?

Sarah Paulson I'm tired of and I hope she doesn't get cast in this. I'm really just tired of her just forever working for Ryan Murphy and yet mean no harm. Take a rest why don't 'ya Sarah, go on vacation with Holland maybe to Holland itself for some time.

by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2022 12:16 AM

This is the kind of mini series that'll turn DEVERS pussys into water falls.

R7 Nailed it!

I'd like to see a fued series about Jackie & Lee.

by Anonymousreply 11April 2, 2022 12:25 AM

Dl'ers is what I meant.

by Anonymousreply 12April 2, 2022 12:25 AM

I hope they write Ann Woodward and her suicide over Capote's story into the miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 13April 2, 2022 12:28 AM

This would be such a fun casting opportunity for actresses of a certain age, since so many fo Capote's swans were over forty by then: Slim Keith, Marella Agnelli, Diana Vreeland, Carol Matthau.

I think Lee Radziwill and CZ Guest were still on the younger side.

by Anonymousreply 14April 2, 2022 12:44 AM

Ann Woodward's mother-in-law said of her death, "she shot my son, and Truman just murdered her, and so now I suppose we don't have to worry about that anymore."........ Subsequently, both of Woodward's sons committed suicide; James in 1976 and William in 1999.

by Anonymousreply 15April 2, 2022 1:33 AM

Will Truman be represented? If so, by whom?

by Anonymousreply 16April 2, 2022 1:54 AM

I'm available, R16.

by Anonymousreply 17April 2, 2022 1:57 AM

[quote] Will Truman be represented? If so, by whom?

Elliott Page.

by Anonymousreply 18April 2, 2022 1:59 AM

Thank you, [r9]!

by Anonymousreply 19April 2, 2022 4:07 AM

How will Uncle Gus-Gus manage to sneak in a part for a dreamy-eyed 14-year-old skateboarder?

And how lengthy will the audition process be?

by Anonymousreply 20April 2, 2022 4:26 AM

I wonder if I can pull off playing 50-something Gloria Guinness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 2, 2022 4:43 AM

who will play Gore Vidal?

it's more a feud between Capote and Vidal than Capote with the swans.

by Anonymousreply 22April 2, 2022 6:34 AM

What exactly did he write about and expose in that story?

by Anonymousreply 23April 2, 2022 6:49 AM

Capturing the anachronistic NYC society of late 60s to mid 70s NYC requires a subtlety Murphy productions do not possess. They’re going to get this all wrong. It’s not like it’s the easy to replicate / over-the-top Christian Lacroix / 1980s era of Lynn Wyatt, Mercedes Bass, Gayfryd Steinberg, Carolyne Roehm, etc.

Women like Babe Paley even spoke differently. I give Murphy a lot of credit though…he takes a lot of of gossip and stories and some apocryphal stories—I picture a conference room with team members calling out a lot of potential topics—and makes them palatable to today’s audience.

When a story is green lit, it is processed through his machine just enough to make inch deep confections: pretty people, character actors, faded stars…plus period art design and costumes and wigs/haircuts…plus music of the era. Everyone on IG and Twitter gushes and screeches their approval while we’re treated to a starlet with Kabuki makeup and speaking the wrong cadence playing Carol Marcus Saroyan.

by Anonymousreply 24April 2, 2022 1:44 PM

I suggest that they cast Gabourey Sidibe as Happy Rockefeller.

by Anonymousreply 25April 2, 2022 1:51 PM

Good god. Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 26April 2, 2022 2:05 PM

R20, he has had no trouble finding new River and Keanu lookalikes, even when casting nothing. Being one of GVS's 'boys' is like being Queen of Neewollah: the winners must be very young, very pretty, and very malleable: it only lasts a year, and then there is a new one.

I lived in Portland for decades. He was always around, and it was no secret.

by Anonymousreply 27April 2, 2022 2:23 PM

What I, and I suspect others from previous comments here, would realllly love is a movie adaptation of Truman's "La Cote Basque, 1965".

by Anonymousreply 28April 2, 2022 4:17 PM

R23, gossip that only his swans and their spouses would've known.

by Anonymousreply 29April 2, 2022 5:51 PM

Sigourney wasn't available?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 2, 2022 6:05 PM

Style icon...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 2, 2022 6:09 PM

Sigourney Weaver was a wonderful Babe Paley in that second film about Capote with Toby Jones.

by Anonymousreply 32April 2, 2022 6:39 PM

I hope there are cameos of Halston and Andy.

by Anonymousreply 33April 2, 2022 7:16 PM

Capote has been cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2022 8:17 PM

I hope he gets the voice right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2022 8:50 PM

Chloe Sevigny can only play herself. She couldn't pull off CZ Guest if she tried.

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2022 6:18 PM

Flockhart can look like Lee Radziwill, but she will not be able to act like Lee Radziwill.

Some little girl actress is going to get cast as Cornelia Guest, I presume. That kind of amuses me but I don't really know why.

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2022 6:25 PM

[quote] "It’s not like it’s the easy to replicate / over-the-top Christian Lacroix / 1980s era of Lynn Wyatt, Mercedes Bass, Gayfryd Steinberg, Carolyne Roehm, etc."

The two departments in Murphy's company I trust completely are the hair & makeup, and costuming/wardrobe departments, R24. Multi Emmy Award-winning costume designer/producer Lou Eyrich will have no problem designing and executing this. Viewers may even learn a thing or two if they pay attention.

So much of the time, I tune in just to see what they've done. Their work is period and character accurate, yet imaginative. And the attention to detail is impeccable (even if the rest of the production is sometimes questionable).

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2022 7:27 PM

I hadn't seen a photo of Jon Robin Baitz in more than 25 years. He has REALLY lost whatever looks he once had.

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2022 7:33 PM

Tom Hollander is a great choice for Capote, although the make-up department will probably have to spend a fortune on Nair for his hairy body. He's a terrific actor and he's short.

I think Naomi Watts is a good choice for Babe Paley. She's beautiful and sophisticated, and she can also play charming and glamorous very well. If it's well written it will be an excellent role--she will have to convey her emotional distance from her children, her hurt at her husband's philandering and Capote's betrayal, and her physical pain when she starts dying of cancer.

I'm curious who will play his other swans (Marella Agnelli, Gloria Guinness, Pamela Harriman, Gloria Vanderbilt, Katherine Graham) and who will play their husbands (William S. Paley, Averell Harriman, Gianni Agnelli), who sometimes liked Capote (because he could be amusing) and who sometimes only barely tolerated him. I will also be curious to see who plays Capote's partner, Jack Dunphy, and also who plays Capote's own literary circle (Bennett Cerf, Tennessee Williams, William Styron, George Plimpton) and his literary enemies (Gore Vidal, Norman Mailer, Lionel and Diana Trilling).

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2022 7:49 PM

Feud: Bette and Joan was the best thing Ryan Murphy has ever done. Hopefully this will be as good.

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2022 8:02 PM

I like Watts and Lane’s castings. Flockhart and Sevigny are all wrong. I haven’t seen enough things with the man they got for Capote to have any premeditated judgement.

by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2022 6:20 PM

[quote]I think Lee Radziwill and CZ Guest were still on the younger side.

We CZ's usually are.

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2022 7:03 PM

I got you, Babe.

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2022 7:03 PM

Who's going to play Anne Slater? And don't forget the the Blue sunglasses she was famous for.

by Anonymousreply 45February 12, 2023 12:21 AM

R42- I will always give Sevigny a chance in ANYTHING. I just dig her-

by Anonymousreply 46February 12, 2023 12:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!