Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who Are The Next Generation Of Democratic Senators?

We hear so much about younger GOP senators - Hawley, Cotton, Rubio, Cruz -- but not so much about younger Democratic senators.

Off the top of my head, there's Brian Schatz (Hawaii), Chris Murphy (CT) Corey Booker (NJ) and Kirsten Gillibrand (NY) but none of them seem to have the national profile of their Republican counterparts.

Any thoughts as to why and which younger Senators to keep an eye on?

[And yes, there are numerous Lindsey Graham jokes being set up by that last sentence]

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2022 8:08 PM

Booker and Gillibrand got media attention when they were running for president, but that seems to have died down for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 1February 27, 2022 12:47 PM

The democrats are dead in the water. The GOP has been revised by the Alt-Right. The far left, progressives and old-school liberals who always vote blue are at odds. I’m not hopeful.

by Anonymousreply 2February 27, 2022 12:52 PM

Tammy Duckworth has been very quiet the past few years, maybe because she has two little kids to raise. I think she has a bright future with her military experience, especially if this Russia/Ukraine thing ends up in a larger-scale conflict.

Sherrod Brown is not exactly young, but seems to have wide-ranging appeal that some of the 2020 Dem Pres candidates (Beto, Booker, Kamala) couldn’t achieve. Others in this category would be Tim Ryan, if he can pull off Ohio Senate, and potentially John Fetterman or another PA Dem Senate candidate (again, if they can win).

Mayor Pete, Ayanna Pressly, and Katie Porter don’t fit your criteria but have been very strategic so far in developing their careers.

Warren (not really young but still fresh) and AOC have high intensity fans, but not as wide appeal. Both need to figure out if they can pivot to nationwide appeal in some way. Probably too late for Warren, whose image is more cemented.

by Anonymousreply 3February 27, 2022 12:53 PM

Jon Ossoff, HELLO!?

by Anonymousreply 4February 27, 2022 12:55 PM

Jon Ossoff reminds me a bit of Beto. Needs a little more seasoning/substance.

by Anonymousreply 5February 27, 2022 12:56 PM

AOC from New York replacing Schumer.

by Anonymousreply 6February 27, 2022 12:57 PM

That's what led me to post R3 - most of the high-profile Democrats are Representatives, not Senators and/or not elected yet and/or cabinet members.

And Ossoff is mostly well known on DL because he's hot R4

In the real world, he doesn't get a whole lot of press other than "the guy who unexpectedly gave the Senate to Democrats"

by Anonymousreply 7February 27, 2022 12:57 PM

Democrats need to stop pushing/backing candidates that don't stand a chance. They seem obsessed to get as many women and/or POC as possible elected. But it's just virtue signaling and it alienates the majority. The point is to win. You can't do that by only focusing on trans and black issues (i.e., small segment of the population).

Also, Democrats need to think like Republicans and believe in winners & losers and stop the "everybody gets a trophy/medal" mentality. Republicans often have the edge because they think like competitors and opt for the best strategy to win.

by Anonymousreply 8February 27, 2022 1:07 PM

Ossoff is great, how can you mention a loser like Gillbrand and then dismiss him because you dont think he gets "press" in your purported "real world"? Your'e just butthurt because you ingnorantly forgot about him and are trying to write him off as mere eye candy

by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2022 1:24 PM

...and yes, I said ingnorantly!!!

by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2022 1:25 PM

Disagree that it's just "virtue signaling". GOP, including many never-trumpers, view experience and pedigree as the ultimate qualifications when in fact someone like Ossoff proves that to not be true. Another example would be John Fetterman who has a meandering path to public service which would add quite a lot of value to any legislative body (I do believe Lamb is going to get the nomination, however)

I'd like to keep more than an eye on Ossoff.

But to answer your question, I do think one of the highlights of 2022 will be replacing the loathsome Ron Johnson with Wisconsin's current Lt. Gov., Mandela Barnes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 27, 2022 1:28 PM

Bernie 2024!

by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2022 1:34 PM

Swalwell will be a senator.

by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2022 1:44 PM

Amy Klobuchar - not popular on DL, but she says a lot of good things in a clear concise way.

by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2022 1:50 PM

he looks like a monster, isn't very young, but is running for a senate seat in the most important swing state in the US, John Fetterman. married to a gorgeous brazilian, he talks the talk and walks the walk of a sensible progressive from a hard-bitten shitty part of the state. I'm all for his prospects if he wins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2022 1:53 PM

I don’t think it will work out for Swalwell. He comes across as insincere. AOC’s persona and focus on social media feels realistic to who she is, for good or ill, while Swalwell seems like a more establishment type who’s trying to create buzz any way he can get it.

by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2022 2:02 PM

[quote] Amy Klobuchar - not popular on DL, but she says a lot of good things in a clear concise way.

She is frequently correct, focused and passionate. I like her a lot.

But unfortunately but I don't find her clear or concise enough for the average American

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 27, 2022 2:24 PM

Klobuchar is almost 60 which is an infant for the Senate but she's not a young 40something.

Gillibrand got press when she was running for president but nothing afterwards.

And as much as a poster above may enjoying fapping to Ossoff, he does not get a lot of press, not the way Cotton or Hawley or other young GOP senators do.

by Anonymousreply 18February 27, 2022 4:16 PM

Ruben Gallego from Arizona is an up and comer in the House. I think he will primary that lying, backstabbing cunt Krysten Enema. Hopefully he'll win the primary and general elections and she can sail off into the sunset forever in one of her weird outfits.

by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2022 4:20 PM

[quote] Ruben Gallego from Arizona is an up and comer in the House. I think he will primary that lying, backstabbing cunt Krysten Enema. Hopefully he'll win the primary and general elections and she can sail off into the sunset forever in one of her weird outfits.

He has nIce fronds!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 27, 2022 6:38 PM

Cruz is young?

by Anonymousreply 21February 27, 2022 7:00 PM

We need to think of them along the lines of the characters of Star Trek: the Next Generation, and package them accordingly. The republicans have all the mystique and prestige of the Muppet Babies in comparison, only the bastard offspring of Trump. They can be packaged as The Strumpet Babies.

by Anonymousreply 22February 27, 2022 7:22 PM

We need young, smart, charismatic Democratic senators in the heartland who can speak the language of "everyday" Americans. But in today's polarized climate where there are very few "on the fence" moderates or independents, those kinds of people can't win in the heartland. So they either don't go into politics, or they quit to do something else.

Case in point #1: Some DL eldergays may remember swooning over hunky Scott Kleeb, a Nebraska rancher with a Ph.D. from Yale and movie-star good looks. He ran for U.S. Senate in Nebraska in 2008, garnered a lot of buzz and national donations, and did better than expected in a deep red state. But he realized he could never get elected in Nebraska, so he decided to teach and head up a clean energy company.

Case in point #2: Jason Kander, who was Missouri secretary of state and served in the war in Afghanistan. He ran for U.S. Senate in Missouri in 2016 and did better than any of the other Missouri Democrats running that year. But he lost to Republican Roy Blunt. There was buzz that he might be a presidential candidate one day. Then he ran for Kansas City mayor but dropped out because of depression and PTSD. Now, he advocates for voting rights and hosts a podcast, but will probably never run for office again.

by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2022 7:54 PM

Kevin McCarthy is dum-dum but is House Minority leader. Isn't there a Democrat in Bakersfield or wherever in his California district that can take on him and his Koch and NRA money?

by Anonymousreply 24February 27, 2022 10:15 PM

[quote] Isn't there a Democrat in Bakersfield or wherever in his California district that can take on him and his Koch and NRA money?

See R1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 27, 2022 10:31 PM

I think Jared Polis (the current governor of Colorado) could win a senate seat ... in Colorado. He'd be replacing another Democrat though, so it really wouldn't be a "win".

by Anonymousreply 26February 27, 2022 10:45 PM

Chris Murphy, Cory Booker & Brian Schatz are BROs!

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2022 8:00 PM

Chris Murphy is HOT, but married a very ugly friend from Law School because she waited by his side while he was being a CT state politician.

Don’t know how you PR that package to sell to the American ppl….

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2022 8:04 PM

Newbie Democratic Senators will be advised to stay away socially from the seductress, Lá Sènatrice.

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2022 8:17 PM

Wasn't Conor Lamb going to run for Toomey's position in PA Senate?

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2022 8:20 PM

The concept of a next generation is not really relevant anymore. Senators dont wait their turn anymore. Some barely participate in the actual work of being a senator. If dems hold the Senate, the leader that comes after Schumer might not even be elected yet. We're not all that far off from a person being elected in 2022 and running for Prez in 2024. The only thing that stopped people before was fundraising and a national profile and now anyone can raise $100 mil in a month with online donations. it literally wasn't possible before.

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2022 9:29 PM

r30 Lamb is running for Senate. Toomey is retiring. The Lt Gov John Fetterman is also in the race and has been doing great fundraising. it's his race to lose at this point.

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2022 9:30 PM

I love Congressman Jim Himes in CT. I keep hoping he will run for governor or senator.

by Anonymousreply 33March 1, 2022 9:33 PM

Ummm...Martin Heinrich anyone? (D-NM)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2022 9:35 PM

Some silliness for a serious issue.

More of this, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2022 3:15 AM

Former US Senators.

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2022 3:19 AM

Handsome Chris Murphy!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2022 8:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!