Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Florence Ballard "podcast"

Because we can't have enough Supremes-related threads....

I ran across this on YouTube - at first I thought it was merely a reaction video to the Florence Ballard episode of "Unsung", but imagine my surprise when this woman went off on Diana Ross, telling her "I ain't afraid of you, bitch" and then proceeds to demonstrate how easy it is to imitate Diana, by singing 'Baby Love', pointing out that the songs written for Diana's lead vocal were not difficult because "there wasn't much to work with." This lady should be an honorary DL'er, or at least a Flo-bot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2022 6:01 PM

Young girls in their late teens/early 20s sorting out a career that made them legends. It got emotional. They went from ‘No Hit Supremes’ to an (still) unparalleled record among girl groups. If Ross didn’t take the lead, I wonder if the outcome would have been the same. Smokey, Martha, Gladys, Levi Stubbs et al made their Motown groups memorable too. All 3 Supremes ultimately went out on their own (quit the group, choice to go solo, group disbanded), and had different levels of success.

by Anonymousreply 1February 8, 2022 12:37 PM

I thought she was one of the mother-in-laws?

by Anonymousreply 2February 8, 2022 12:54 PM

Show business is ruthless, and Florence fell through the cracks of it, like so many others. She was pretty and talented, but she wasn't able to manipulate and fuck her way to the top, like Diana did.

by Anonymousreply 3February 8, 2022 3:44 PM

Had a drinking buddy who was ugly as sin. When he was a kid living in Atlantic City, his uncle took him to meet Florence Ballard. She was at some hotel about to perform. He was friendly with someone in the band or something like that.

My friend’s uncle introduced him to Florence, who seemed uninterested , more concerned about the upcoming show that night. My buddy’s uncle excused himself to use the restroom in the room. Florence and some of the other musicians started staring at him. He claimed that Florence looked at him, then leaned over and whispered loudly to one of the women, “That little f@**ot is ugly as sin!”. They all agreed. He told his uncle what they said. His uncle shrugged it off. “They is just drinking and smoking weed!”, his uncle said. He hated her with a passion after that. He told us that when she died, he she’d no tears. He was a “keeper” of Miss Ross and would drag anyone who criticized her. But if anyone interjected with a “poor Florence” story, he’d lay into them like it was their last day on earth. He was known to embellish, but why would he tell this story. It cracked me up at the time. But dude turned out to be a serious narcissistic whack job. So, team Florence.

by Anonymousreply 4February 16, 2022 4:30 PM

At what point does she imitate Diana. I am not listening to this whole rant.

by Anonymousreply 5February 16, 2022 5:14 PM

R5, go to 4:35.

by Anonymousreply 6February 16, 2022 7:45 PM

Supremes as well as solo Diana longtime fan here. And so past and tired of the victim drama queens bullshit. Music is a business like everything else. Like in any career or relationship, if the person isn't well-adjusted and grounded, the problems start with them. Nobody can ultimately take care of and be responsible for you, but you. All the Supreme ladies including Diana with the group and as a solo made their mistakes, besides also having their good sides and all being very talented. But when we spend decades listening to their music and looping their old performance videos over and over, we're listening to and viewing these people as fans of their entertainment. To them, this was and is also their Jobs. I share a lot of childhood and earlier career memories and photos with others that were positive for them, but hell for me. People recollecting them from a distance who weren't involved might find them endearing, but they weren't us in the moment going through those experiences. These crazy past and current fans need to separate the fantasy from the reality. Flo, the other Supremes and Diana haven't spent the past 60 years walking around 24/7 on and offstage in sequined gowns, high heels and makeup. Our entertainment has been their very hard and emotionally draining work. And the Diana and manager Berry thing -- what kid from their background would've said "No!" and not jumped at the record company manager's offers to make them a star?! And does anybody really think that in the end, anybody else but Berry Gordy wasn't the one in the driver's seat of his relationship with not only Ross, but with all the other players at Motown?! Of course not. He had the final say and pulled the strings on who sang what, what their groups' names eventually evolved into, and whose careers money and time were sunken into. If not ultimately, he' would have them cut from the label -- even Diana, except the story never went that way for us to be able to recollect or imagine it.

by Anonymousreply 7February 16, 2022 11:49 PM

She is nasal and awful. I much prefer Diana.

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2022 2:32 PM

Thanks for the 4:35 mark. Imitating Diana Ross for one line on one of their simpler songs does not really sufficient to prove a point that anyone could have done it. If anything, she does not sound as good as she thinks she does and just shows that Diana did more with that simple line than other people would have.

I don't think Diana necessarily has the best voice or the stronger voice, but it was distinctive and she knew how to use it to its best advantage. She was not without talent and had some good musical instincts. She might not have been the nicest person, but that is a different issue.

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2022 3:50 PM

Diana Ross, as a fan of hers recently told me, acted with her voice. I have no idea what they meant.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2022 5:45 PM

This bitch is a little cray but she's RIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2022 6:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!