Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Travel Insurance

Do any of you globetrotters ever buy travel insurance? I never have but I might be traveling this Summer and wondering with Covid restrictions if I should get it.

Some economy airfares say you can’t rebook a flight. Does that mean you lose the money? Does travel insurance cover that?

What insurance companies are good and what should I be aware of?

by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2024 12:19 AM

Only people who plan on bringing down the plane buy travel insurance.

That was in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2022 2:11 PM

Yes for the trains and planes.

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2022 2:11 PM

R2 what about for automobiles?

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2022 2:16 PM

I usually don't, but sometimes it's required. I had to have traveler's insurance for Morocco and due to the pandemic, Aruba. The only other time I got it was for a 2-week road trip in the Balkans.

Traveler's insurance is back to being a waste of money now that generous COVID terms are being dropped. If you're going someplace dangerous or engaging in risky activities, it might be worth considering.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2022 2:27 PM

I buy it to come back to America. The health care costs are too scary to believe my European insurance would cover it.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2022 2:28 PM

Only for international travel. Mainly for medical emergencies. Your regular health insurance likely won't cover the costs incurred abroad and if you need a medical flight home, you will be wiped out financially. I started buying insurance when adventure trips required it. Now I just do it for every international trip.

Friend's father had a medical emergency in London. He got great care at very low cost due to their health system. The travel insurance was worth it when he needed to be flown back to the US in first class and with a nurse.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2022 2:30 PM

[quote] If you're going someplace dangerous or engaging in risky activities, it might be worth considering.

London. So I’m thinking no. But I don’t want to get stuck there due to the winds of Covid restrictions change. My credit card only has so much room on it and I’m too old to turn tricks for cash.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2022 2:32 PM

I bought travel insurance before my South Africa trip in the beginning of 2020 right before the pandemic. It was a total waste because I couldn't file a claim for anything because surprise, surprise - PANDEMICS ARE NOT COVERED.

However most countries will require you to purchase medical travel insurance in order to board the plane. Insubuy will give you full coverage for about $35 dollars and COVID is covered.

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2022 2:33 PM

All insurance is a scam.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2022 2:35 PM

If you are traveling outside of the US, consider health insurance and possibly a type of medavac coverage. Travel insurance with medical coverage will only cover you for care in a local hospital. If you're injured in Mexico for example, basic coverage will not cover getting you back to the US for medical care. If you fractured your leg or had a serious head injury, your care in a local hospital (which is the carrier's choosing, not your's) is all that's is covered. If you or your family want you moved to a private hospital, or flown to the US, you are responsible for the transfer costs.

Most private hospitals abroad require payment upfront, and require that you, not the hospital, collect from your insurance company. Unless you have a high credit limit on your credit cards, you could be refused treatment for expensive treatment. Keep in mind that public hospitals in many countries lack private rooms and many are overflowing with covid type cases.

Before traveling outside the US, check with your insurance carrier to see what is covered. If you are on Medicare, you definitely need travel insurance. Read the fine print of any travel policy you buy and make sure things like pre-existing conditions are covered, as well as covid-related hospitalization.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2022 3:59 PM

Good information here!

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2022 7:43 PM

I never have. But I'm a "it'll never happen to me" kinda guy. Even tho I've banked lotsa karma, I know it's gonna be my turn sooner or later. I'm just hoping for later.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2022 8:31 PM

I used to rely on my credit card to cover insurance when I rented cars. But having read stories about how credit cards do not cover everything and how stressful it was if the car was wrecked or stolen, in recent years, I just pay for full coverage. I don't own a car so I don't have my own insurance. I recall being really stressed out about nicks and dings previously. Sure the cost sucks, but it really helps with relaxing and enjoying a trip. If something happens to the car, I return it and walk away.

My brother is car insurance claims adjuster and he advised me to buy coverage from the rental car companies. He does it too even though he has car insurance.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2022 10:17 PM

R10 here. I forgot to mention another benefit of travel insurance when going abroad. If you're traveling outside the US, you will be required to get tested before flying home. If you should test positive you will likely be required to quarantine for a fixed period of time. The amount of time is dependent on the country you're traveling from, the airline you are flying, etc. If you are required to quarantine, some of the better insurance policies will cover the cost of lodging while in quarantine. If not, you are on the hook for lodging, food, etc for those extra days. (Be prepared for the unexpected by bringing extras of any meds you take since it's unlikely you can get your prescriptions filled outside the US.)

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2022 10:40 PM

Any of you recommend a specific travel insurance provider? I’m seeing a lot of Allianz, HTH, and AXA in my research.

by Anonymousreply 15February 19, 2024 12:07 AM

I bought it via Expedia for an upcoming trip to Mexico. I have no idea what it actually covers, though.

by Anonymousreply 16February 19, 2024 12:15 AM

Most credit cards have it built in if you check your travel protections. I used it last year when our flight got canceled due to the hurricane. I lost half of my 2000 on a VRBO and filed a claim. No muss no fuss I got it all back.

by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2024 12:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!