Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lena Dunham shows her stunning transformation and talks reboot of GIRLS. Sis is showing us all what beauty really is

"The polarizing auteur, back at Sundance with "sexual fable" 'Sharp Stick,’ reveals how surviving hate, sickness and addiction led to artistic rebirth: "I'd love the next decade to be less about apologizing and just about openly making art." " t was early 2020, and Lena Dunham was living in London, excitedly preparing to make her first feature film since her 2010 breakout Tiny Furniture. She had moved to the city temporarily in the summer of 2019 to direct the pilot for the HBO series Industry and loved it so much, she stayed. The film she was prepping, an adaptation of her favorite childhood book, Catherine, Called Birdy, was about a 13-year-old English girl coming of age in 1190 A.D.

Dunham bought the rights shortly after she’d shot to fame as the creator and star of HBO’s Girls. “People were like, ‘What do you want to option?’ They were throwing all these wild best-sellers at me,” recalls Dunham, 35. “I was like, ‘I’d really like to option this YA novel about a medieval girl getting her period.'”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 23, 2022 8:09 PM

Now we know who Andre Leon Talley left his kaftans collection to.

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2022 1:54 PM

Every tiktoker and insta-ho is literally more talented than this insufferable uggo.

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2022 2:00 PM

Isn’t she rich? Doesn’t she have a pair of buzumbas? Her here at last on the cover of Hollywood Reporter, her career up in the air?

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2022 2:04 PM

Nepotism is a hell of a drug.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2022 2:08 PM

Lens' stunning transformation from fat to fatter.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2022 2:31 PM

She is one of the least appealing "stars" of this century.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2022 2:35 PM

Jesus Christ OP. It's LENS. Are you new to DL???

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2022 2:36 PM

Oh dear god, she’s planning to adopt *. Gasp. *

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2022 2:36 PM

R8 Obviously, not standards and practices, what pray tell??

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2022 2:56 PM

A child…apologies I thought that was obvious. It’s covered in the article, she doesn’t want to turn 38 without a child apparently

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2022 3:28 PM

Say what you want about Lena, but she is a great writer

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2022 3:30 PM

Of course she is R11; a girl’s gotta eat!

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2022 3:33 PM

Someone wants their shower curtain back.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2022 3:36 PM

"Those images of me at the last GIRLS premiere, skinny and hollow-eyed . . ."

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2022 3:39 PM

[quote]Jesus Christ OP. It's LENS. Are you new to DL???

Nah, lets drop that.

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2022 3:46 PM

Nah, let's not, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2022 3:51 PM

Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2022 3:56 PM

Wide-angle Lens

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2022 3:56 PM

“…suffers from a connective tissue disorder known as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS)”

Fucking typical. It’s the new fibromyalgia and Morgellons for attention-seeking fraus.

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2022 3:59 PM

Girl is SERVING it!

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2022 4:26 PM

[quote] “There are things I said in my 20s and 30s that I apologized for because I knew they came from a place of ignorance and lack of awareness,” Dunham says. (One example of many: when she told a journalist, “No one would be calling me a racist if they knew how badly I wanted to fuck Drake.”)

See, that's still funny. All these twitter idiots were like how dare she! The whole 'allowed to say' stuff.. it's a joke. Presumably Drake would like to be considered desirable.

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2022 4:32 PM

Ok, I see how people misread it. It's something you might say to a friend.

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2022 4:34 PM

Bitch stole my look!

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2022 4:36 PM

R20, it is absolutely NOT what we ordered. Take it back.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2022 4:38 PM

She's a pig.

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2022 4:40 PM

Say something nice: The last photo with the robe and scarf is pleasant. The best of the batch.

That button-cross shorts romper is very unfortunate, indeed. She can't get away with intentionally ugly clothes or those bangs, anymore.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2022 4:42 PM

The best photo is the one with the plaids and sunglasses and loafers with a heel. 70s vibes. Goes with the movies she mentions.

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2022 4:55 PM

She’s still a gargoyle.

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2022 4:56 PM

Part of all the hate was blinding envy certainly. To attain such a rare platform so young, while not being a size 0. And also to have grown up in Tribeca loft to artist parents. It had some NY strivers twisting, I know that.

by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2022 5:05 PM

She did say a few things I wouldn't have.

by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2022 5:13 PM

She is privileged and made some missteps but she's said she got the first movie forward on her own. She wasn't to the manor born but we've learned that a bit of privilege puts creative careers at better starting point. Some would say most people who make it in creative fields have advantages of upbringing.

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2022 5:16 PM

r30 so you wouldn't talk about masturbating next to your very little sister and bribing her for kisses like a predator? Or torpedoing Hillary Clinton with Lenny Kravitz penis?

by Anonymousreply 32January 19, 2022 5:17 PM

Lol. no

by Anonymousreply 33January 19, 2022 5:20 PM

It's interesting she dressed up for the cover as a beach ball. I guess it's appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 34January 19, 2022 5:23 PM

Lens Dunham is probably the homeliest woman in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 35January 19, 2022 5:23 PM

[quote] By now, [bold]the Lena Dunham origin story is practically the stuff of Hollywood legend.[/bold] Raised in a Tribeca loft to successful artist parents — Carroll Dunham, a painter, and Laurie Simmons, a photographer — she led a privileged and culture-rich upbringing. At Oberlin College, she immersed herself in mumblecore-style filmmaking. By 23, she’d won the narrative feature prize at South by Southwest for Tiny Furniture, which featured her mother and sibling Cyrus, who came out as transgender in 2019, as fictional counterparts.

You can't make this stuff up.

by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2022 5:26 PM

[quote] What’s less of a blur, however, was the virulent hostility Dunham seemed to evoke from the moment Girls hit the air — and which still hasn’t let up, more than a decade later. “People had a very swift and strong and allergic reaction to what I looked like, and they made it very clear to me,” Dunham says. “I was getting messages — many, many, many of them a day — about what I looked like. Things most people will never have said to them in their lives because most of polite society keeps people from walking up to each other at a Target and going like, ‘You’re fat, you’re ugly and you deserve to die.'”

[quote]She estimates half of the messages came from women. “I think people would think it would be like Trump-loving men in the heartland,” she says. “But it was women. Probably women with similar body types to me who had internalized the kind of hatred that we are supposed to have of our bodies. If they weren’t going to enjoy their body, then I sure as hell wasn’t supposed to enjoy mine.”

[quote]Dunham had never set out to craft a statement about body positivity. “People thought I had been raised a nudist or something,” she says of her frequent nakedness on the show. “It’s like, no, it was a decision about who this character was, the way that I wanted the sex scenes to look and feel, how we were using them in the story. I had all the issues with my body that every young woman has. I just happened to not be self-conscious naked.”

by Anonymousreply 37January 19, 2022 5:31 PM

r34 well, I guess there's one woman(?) still willing to be passed around

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2022 5:32 PM

The (first) book carried an advance of $3.7 million. The rage over that alone.

by Anonymousreply 39January 19, 2022 5:42 PM

ah, can't find the main threads of her meltdown...there was a snarkier one. but it had more to do with that one lesbian site (can't remember it's name now, it's pretty much died because even the lesbians weren't having it) that interviewed her sister about the incidents described in the book and she sounded like a gun was being held to her head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 19, 2022 5:47 PM

She's achieved quite a bit but the main reason people dislike her is the narcissism that permeated "Girls." We've talked about the "moment of shit" when everyone in a TV series praises the star-producer's beauty, intelligence and wit. Every episode of Girls had at least five of those moments times five years.

This article, in fact, was an extended moment of shit. No discussion of the elephant in the room--how fat she's gotten--but lots of explanation for her making an ass out of herself and why we shouldn't judge her because she was so very young. And now she's back--what a dynamo--although her health is failing. This is Lena's year.

The surest test for jealousy is asking yourself "Would you want to be her?" Or would you want her as a friend? I think, for most people the answer is an emphatic no.

by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2022 6:19 PM

Didn't this bitch get cancelled for diddling her little sister?

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2022 6:27 PM

By season 2 of Girls, Lena Dunham has acquired more mentions in the New York Times than Kate Winslet had in her entire career.

That’s the insanity of the Dunham PR machine .

by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2022 6:35 PM

R42 she was being honest about her experience as a kid, people tried to cancel her but it's mainly the ones who hated her anyway and were just looking for something to be outraged over.

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2022 6:52 PM

Okay. She has to take serious inventory about taking on the responsibility of raising another human. I think she is hyper-intelligent, creative and interesting at times in an eye-rolly way but sometimes that type of woman doesn’t a great mother make. She should accept her eccentric life as a rich girl of two artists with major connections and quit while she is ahead.

by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2022 7:30 PM

Even if she is considered ground-breaking or cool among critics, she has probably the most aesthetically unpleasing face of any actress I can think of.

by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2022 7:36 PM

She LOVES And Just Like That.

[quote]Speaking of Sex and the City, Dunham has been loving the divisive reboot, And Just Like That. “It was such a pleasure to see those women back together and to see them take on middle-age sexuality,” she says. “For me, those are women who can do no wrong.” Dunham isn’t averse to trying something similar with Girls and even has engaged in informal talks with HBO about getting the gang back together for an older and wiser version of the quintessential millennial series. (Women?)

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2022 8:16 PM

Ew r47

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2022 8:18 PM

r42 Pretty much but kept screaming it was a rightwing conspiracy - which some of it was but she was pretty insistant on becoming as gross as she could possibly be which wasn't helping like hanging with tony richardson - some were offended she outed her sister in trying to justify why her past actions were ok and giving creedence to that whole molestation-homosexual recruitment trope, rape allegations started falling apart lost her believe all women support after accusing someone else of lying about a sexual assault and made sexual harassment allegations against some black dude that didn't give her the time of day at an award show, racist reaction when confronted with the lack of diversity on her show, islamophobia, adopting a puppy for publicity and tossing it away a few weeks later, more news of tantrums both violent - mistreatment of staff and potentially baseless accusations against celebs that slighted her, she came out as autistic then skipped into the background but kept popping her head here and there. I still don't understand how Hillary's people ever thought she should be granted an interview. Politicians really need to stop being so thirsty for the youth vote.

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2022 10:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2022 11:29 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2022 11:32 PM

Her sister transitioned.and they are an extremely gifted writer. The whole rich kid thing is enraging though. Michaela Coel has more talent in her pinky finger than Dunham has in her whole body and she gets 1/1 millionth of the recognition.

See also Mario Sorrenti's offspring. Peak nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 52January 19, 2022 11:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 19, 2022 11:53 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2022 11:56 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 20, 2022 12:00 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 20, 2022 12:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 20, 2022 12:22 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 20, 2022 12:26 AM

R52 Didn’t his son Davide die of a drug overdose? R53 That was actually funny

by Anonymousreply 59January 20, 2022 12:35 AM

Who knew Adam Driver would be the breakout star of Girls. The rest haven’t done much.

by Anonymousreply 60January 20, 2022 12:43 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 20, 2022 12:45 AM

That cover looks like a bowl of fruity PEBBLES!

by Anonymousreply 62January 20, 2022 12:58 AM

I hate Lens as much as the next guy, but her shitty art parents aren't exactly Tom Hanks, Spielberg, or Weinstein.

Tiny Furniture was actually pretty damn good. She wrote, starred and directed it. Not too shabby. She leveraged that to get an HBO show that., somehow, hit the zeitgeist.

She might be annoying as fuck, but she did earn her way to the place she's at.

by Anonymousreply 63January 20, 2022 12:59 AM

I will watch everything she does and have. Even Industry, which I liked some of. Anyway carry on hating.

by Anonymousreply 64January 20, 2022 1:01 AM

While it’s fair to say that Lena received a lot more blowback than absolutely necessary, since she’s never been conventionally skinny or attractive, she’s always come across as as spoiled, overindulged adult brat. Pushed forward as the “voice of her generation” by the same people who brought you “millennials ruined their finances with avocado toast and Starbucks”, she’s never had much to say that isn’t (a) about herself, (b) horrifically insensitive in the name of being “edgy”. See: all of the antics mentioned in R49, along with the article she published comparing her Jewish boyfriend to a dog, the time she expressed regret that she would never get to have an abortion, the casting call for her show seeking people of color to play nannies (at a time when no one else on the show was non-white), etc., etc. She was handed a massive opportunity and given an enormous spotlight without ever learning to interact with people or understand socially appropriate boundaries. Then, she was held up as a the peak cultural example of what people her age are like.

by Anonymousreply 65January 20, 2022 1:05 AM

[quote]Fucking typical. It’s the new fibromyalgia and Morgellons for attention-seeking fraus.

Ehlers-Danlos syndrome is real and serious—Yvie Oddly from Drag Race has it—but she's clearly lying about having it.

by Anonymousreply 66January 20, 2022 1:09 AM

And it’s hard to understand how she “earned” anything when none of her opportunities came her way through her own merit. Her parents weren’t household names, but they were rich people in NYC with tons of connections, in a position to support their daughter’s creative efforts without finances ever being an issue. Lena has a story about bringing a platter of black bean brownies to a party at Nora Ephron’s house (Ephron convinced Lena not to serve them). Lena was a privileged kid with access to influential circles. That went a long way toward elevating her profile as she began her career.

by Anonymousreply 67January 20, 2022 1:19 AM

r67 The same could be said for a good portion of Hollywood, though. Of course, UK tried highlighting that problem, citing that quality falls when nepotism rises and experiencing problems with Unis & even some bordering schools handing out scholarships to the mediocre but privileged yet it hasn't done much to change those dynamics in their industry either.

by Anonymousreply 68January 20, 2022 2:39 AM

^ bordering - boarding

by Anonymousreply 69January 20, 2022 2:40 AM

here's the hollywood defense:

The Normal Child vs. the Celebrity Child

The first important note to make is the divide between a child who has been raised by someone well-connected within the industry and the average creative mind. Someone who has been raised by a celebrity parent or family member probably has years’ worth of acting experience and training at the best studios money can buy, they can get notes on their performance by real professionals without blinking an eye. On the other hand, someone who has no head start in the business must have very loyal guardians that commit very early on to provide them with (often expensive) training and exposure to the arts. In no way is this plausible for the average family with little to no luxury spending capabilities, and even if they can afford to give their children lessons, they could never compare to the on-hand training the other child would receive.

There is also the matter of “the arts” in general- society treats an interest in acting, filmmaking, and art as a non-profitable hobby. Students are pressured into finding a “real major” once they go off to college. Artistic pursuits are quickly abandoned in favor of becoming a cog in the capitalist machine for survival purposes. If we want to introduce more diversity and fresh-faced talent into the entertainment industry, we must revive a supportive culture in which art is celebrated as a lasting impression one can leave on this Earth, not a silly hobby that one can and should give up sooner than later.

Talent is not the great equivocator when nepotism is the topic of conversation- some of my favorite actors are products of a lifetime of exposure and parental guidance, and I would bet that yours are too. I am a self-proclaimed Sofia Coppola superfan, ‘The Virgin Suicides’ and ‘The Bling Ring’ were my very first introductions to arthouse cinema, but I am also able to understand that her career would have never come to fruition without the help from her iconic father, Mr. Francis Ford Coppola. Maya Rudolph is arguably one of the most ingenious actresses of her generation, an absolute masterclass in comedy, and her mother is the ‘queen of the whistle note’, singer and songwriter Minnie Riperton. Even the eclectic Wilson brothers, Luke and Owen, have helped one another rise to fame- eventually bringing the third brother, Andrew, up in the world of directing.

As stated before, it’s arguable that these beloved actors and filmmakers are so wildly talented because they had access to rigorous training before they could really understand what career path they want to go down. There were no community center Acting 101 workshops or ballet classes brimming with toddlers- there were literal movie stars showing them the ropes behind state-of-the-art equipment.

-----

though Lena herself has addressed the claims of nepotism by instead saying her parents are nobodies, isolated to new york and suggesting because the plebs aren't interested in contemporary art, it provided nothing. so too were the other cast of Girls because she didn't know the difference between Brian Williams and Peter Jennings, so neither could anyone else and how could that lead to nepotism. so apparently the nepotism claim is moot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 20, 2022 2:53 AM

Lens Dunham R35

I read that as Lens Durham (as in Bull Durham) and it made laugh

by Anonymousreply 71January 20, 2022 3:07 AM

I bet she has a very impressive personal art collection that rivals those of people like Spielberg, Martin and Lucas, but more of a focus on 70s and 80s work.

by Anonymousreply 72January 20, 2022 3:39 AM

Her parents are well known but not Damien Hirst. I bet Lena's career bought a bit of renewed interest to her parents work.

by Anonymousreply 73January 20, 2022 4:16 AM

>adopting a puppy for publicity and tossing it away a few weeks later

I remember that little kerfuffle, and it sounded like the dog was biting and she couldn't handle it. Don't know the truth of this case, but lots of rescues will give out dogs with aggression problems and then blame the adopter for not wanting to get bitten.

As for the sister diddling stuff, she was something like 7 at the time. I find it hard to look at anything a 7 year old does and then keep blaming that person for it as an adult.

She does sound too fucked up to raise a kid. Of course, enough money and you can pretty much buy one in a private adoption without the normally rigorous screening. Expect to see a 'Mommie Dearest' tell-all in about 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 74January 20, 2022 5:09 AM

All you need to do it think about how hard Britney worked vs this flabby, lazy pile of entitlement.

We can live without what she has produced. At least Britney entertained.

by Anonymousreply 75January 20, 2022 11:01 AM

No one is seeing movies, save CGI superheroes, and they're barely cracking $400M. The awards shows are dead. Younger generations watch nobodies on Tik Tok.

Hollywood is over. They killed it with this nepotism. Ask Napoleon what happens to a system when heritage trumps talent.

by Anonymousreply 76January 20, 2022 11:11 AM

I thought that was Bruce Vilanch at first glance.

by Anonymousreply 77January 20, 2022 1:05 PM

I really liked Girls. She got a lot of flak because she agreed to go on the cover of Vogue, etc, and act the part of glamorous star and no one was fooled. If you're going to be fat you at least have to be pretty, but for the public it's really preferable that stars and thin and pretty. She is neither, despite stylists, make up artists. Good intentions and virtue signaling aren't going to change that.

by Anonymousreply 78January 20, 2022 2:41 PM

A friend (who is a real bitch) worked with Lens a couple years ago and said she couldn't have been nicer. Said she was disarmingly kind and polite. So that's something.

She is a great writer. Could do without having to see her in front of the camera.

And she should NOT adopt a kid. She couldn't even handle adopting those dogs. Remember that scandal? How she returned them to the rescue group? Ooof. Maybe take that hysterectomy as a sign that you shouldn't have children. My god.

by Anonymousreply 79January 20, 2022 2:50 PM

She is disgusting, both outside and inside. The people who are trying to get her career revived are all from the same background as her, unsurprisingly. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know who the people are that further each other's careers in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 80January 20, 2022 3:19 PM

She is grotesque. And she's one of those fat women who knows she's disgusting to look at but pretends that women of size are beautiful. She's not even delusional, she just forces this false belief on people because she knows full well it's not kind to respond otherwise. I've known many "large and in charge" women who act one way publicly but have deep deep insecurities about their weight in private and just pretend they're happy with obese bodies.

by Anonymousreply 81January 20, 2022 3:34 PM

"She is a great writer."

She is hardly any kind of a great writer, R79. At best she's good enough to write a series about a privileged, overweight, narcissistic young woman modeled on herself.

by Anonymousreply 82January 20, 2022 7:22 PM

She looks like one of those greasy, maudlin clown paintings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 20, 2022 7:27 PM

This is the kind of girl that picks at a grain & berry bowl in public but then goes home and eats an entire cake.

by Anonymousreply 84January 20, 2022 7:29 PM

R82, thank you! What is this great writing everyone refers to? The show was dreck. Books and articles forgettable.

Great writers perfect their craft for years, they write and edit and hone a work with help and insight from others.

She spat out navel gazing pulp for HBO bucks because a family friend told her she was great. Stop it.

by Anonymousreply 85January 20, 2022 8:43 PM

I would run and hide if my craven image appeared on the cover of that rag.

by Anonymousreply 86January 20, 2022 10:11 PM

r81 you could argue grooming at this point given her background and how she keeps trying to defend it as being a role model for young teen girls.

armchair psych: ASPD (aka sociopath) - a high charged and misunderstood label but it fits. Like narcissism, many are drawn to activism, charity and Hollywood. Also, the stigma is that it's untreatable, which isn't true but does often require extensive and lifelong therapy plus the desire to change. And no, they don't do mentally well in industries where they get rewarded for their worst traits. But it is a double edge sword as professionally and often to their organizations, it's of benefit. It's not that they're without conscience...in fact, it's what makes more extreme cases worse because it's paired with an emotional disconnect. And yet, yes, many can mask well. . . hence, it's difficulty in being diagnosed vs horror film portrayals.

Her relationship with the press and social media is a fair evidence. While definitely an attention whore, her interactions with the press and public is to convince them she's righteous and worthy. She's a professional victim in the very sense of it. We could argue nepotism might have opened professional doors to funding but she has used this status to advance and maintain her career.

She'll say anything, do anything and double down even when she's caught in a lie likely believing the ends justify the means and she does afterall get rewarded by it.

More than other troubled celebrities, her interaction with the press is constant and ongoing. . . practically every week for over a decade she comes out with some new revelation about herself and her (intimate, social, professional) relationships. It's always pitted to extremes with narratives of struggle and overcoming it. But she's the one controlling the narrative. The paps only find what she wants them to find save for social media trolls. You won't find evidence of the paps documenting disturbing antics from her, no, it's only that which she's telling them directly.

aspd is my guess but it really could be anything. The research and overall perception of it is a bit all over the map as well. But the criteria fits.

by Anonymousreply 87January 21, 2022 1:43 AM

r74 except by her own accounts it was on-going, including tales of bribing her with candy for kisses and masturbating next to her eleven year old sister when she was seventeen. Although later she would say the 17 was a misprint by the publishers.

by Anonymousreply 88January 21, 2022 1:52 AM

She's a good writer. About the creepy stuff in the book...I'd direct someone to her dad's artwork.

by Anonymousreply 89January 21, 2022 1:59 AM

And key point r74 these accounts were published when she was an adult, she chose to share them with the world and either she knew what the reaction would be or she was delusional enough to believe it wasn't an issue. So, which is it?

by Anonymousreply 90January 21, 2022 1:59 AM

I'm not R74 but I think she misjudged. She shared a couple of things that were a little too personal. She may have thought these stories were cute/quirky/a little provocative but people decided these things were straight up transgressive. I'm hoping it's really just that she had a libertine artist household growing up and didn't know different.

by Anonymousreply 91January 21, 2022 2:04 AM

But r47, I thought that Lens had already taken on middle aged female sexuality…

by Anonymousreply 92January 21, 2022 2:30 AM

[quote] ""I'd love the next decade to be less about apologizing and just about openly making art."

I would too. But what the hell does any of this have to do with her?

by Anonymousreply 93January 21, 2022 3:30 AM

Yay to Girls reboot. Her voice is sorely missed. What does the voice of a generation have to say now a decade later in this new climate post Trump, post COVID? What would it be called? Did the show have a frequent saying like “And Just like That”?

by Anonymousreply 94January 21, 2022 4:05 AM

I don’t remember Birdy getting her period in the book (much less it being a major theme). Only idiot Lens would boil it down to such. I really dislike her and wish she would stay away.

by Anonymousreply 95January 21, 2022 9:13 AM

I wonder if she's bipolar. It would explain a lot. She can't seem to maintain a healthy weight for any period of time. Reminds me of Amy Schumer who was heralded as a genius for saying "I can get all the dick I want and I'm a size 14."

by Anonymousreply 96January 21, 2022 10:31 AM

If you can't see the connection between the white privileged nepotism as embodied by Lena Dunham crowned Queen of the popular medium brow culture in 2012 and the rise of Trump as a populist political force during the same era, both NYC elite children, then we'll never get out of this media controlled nightmare.

Our emperors have no clothes and we need to take our systems back.

by Anonymousreply 97January 21, 2022 10:55 AM

"Sis"

by Anonymousreply 98January 21, 2022 12:38 PM

[quote] the white privileged nepotism

Learn how to use of the word nepotism. Her parents had nothing to do with film and the budget for Tiny Furniture was 65K.

by Anonymousreply 99January 21, 2022 2:35 PM

We could talk about someone who grows up like they're going to even be able to make a movie and she had some connections and some luck too. It's weird when people talk about these things like she didn't do any work.

by Anonymousreply 100January 21, 2022 2:38 PM

Lena Dunham had the life growing up that I wanted, living in a NYC downtown loft with parents who were famous artist, going to a cool private progressive school and then off to Oberlin for college and enough family backing, support and money to fully pursue my artistic dreams. Yeah, I’m jealous.

by Anonymousreply 101January 21, 2022 2:48 PM

R99, why is it called "Tiny Furniture"?

by Anonymousreply 102January 21, 2022 3:29 PM

Because it involves her mom's art which includes a lot of doll house like sets for photos. No one knew who the Dunhams were outside the art world, ps. You can see her mom's art at auction isn't going for vast sums. Though the prices are nothing to scoff at I guess

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 21, 2022 3:40 PM

Completely nothing to scoff at!

by Anonymousreply 104January 21, 2022 3:49 PM

Self made woman!

by Anonymousreply 105January 21, 2022 4:15 PM

[quote]As for the sister diddling stuff, she was something like 7 at the time. I find it hard to look at anything a 7 year old does and then keep blaming that person for it as an adult.

It started when Lens was 7 but carried on until she was 16/17.

by Anonymousreply 106January 21, 2022 4:29 PM

There was some viral tweet recently about, and I'm paraphrasing, how it's easy to become an artist when you don't have to worry about the rent. While I disagree with the posters who think Lena's background got her a blank check from Hollywood, the fact that she never had to work a day job and could focus on her art definitely gave her a significant leg up. She was supported by her parents until she was able to make good money herself.

by Anonymousreply 107January 21, 2022 5:19 PM

The sister fingering shit should have ended her career.

by Anonymousreply 108January 21, 2022 5:46 PM

[quote] As for the sister diddling stuff, she was something like 7 at the time. I find it hard to look at anything a 7 year old does and then keep blaming that person for it as an adult.

The problem is not that she did it but that she boasted about it in her book. No one would have talked about it if she hadn;t used it as an inappropriate story in her memoir.

Dunham has this thing where she's an exhibitionist and tells everyone everything about herself (and shows everyone everything about her body), and then when she gets criticized for it she whines she's being misunderstood.

by Anonymousreply 109January 21, 2022 5:58 PM

Her wheels were disproportionately greased. It's gross to pretend they weren't- that she didn't know Nora Ephron or Judd Apatow personally. That's a grotesque deception.

She is physically unattractive and an off-putting personality who became a star of the small screen. She didn't come by it honestly. And she didn't hold on to it. It's irrational to pretend she earned it.

by Anonymousreply 110January 21, 2022 6:03 PM

The episode where Hannah becomes involved with the older famous writer who is a hounddog and inappropriate with women was the only episode of "Girls" I saw that was any good at all. Everything else I saw of the show (which admitted was maybe only a portion of the episodes--I just could not find it engaging and so watched on and off at the beginning and the end) was just not very good. So I am really surprised too people are claiming what a wonderful writer she was.

It's interesting that almost all the actors on the show have disappeared now except for Adam Driver. Lens keeps popping up in the media just because she always gets a rise out of people and so gets clicks (she has an incredible knack for figuring out how to be irritating), but her writing projects since "Girls" have all been unsuccessful. She gets no acting work except for the tiny role she played in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood."

by Anonymousreply 111January 21, 2022 6:34 PM

Well I like her. Sure shes a mess (who isnt?) but I found Girls very entertaining . Seems to me she knows she not the prettiest thing going,and she owns it. I have more respect for that than a clueless fug who thinks they are desirable and everyone wants to fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 112January 21, 2022 6:43 PM

Her father looks attractive. It didn't rub off.

by Anonymousreply 113January 21, 2022 7:31 PM

When people are obnoxious, ignoring them is a good idea. I realize that would leave DL with no threads about women but I'm okay with thast.

by Anonymousreply 114January 23, 2022 6:01 AM

She really is stunningly beautiful. And she can sing too. She can do better.

by Anonymousreply 115January 23, 2022 9:29 AM

OK, the clothes/photos in OP’s article are hideous. Is she doing that deliberately?

by Anonymousreply 116January 23, 2022 7:04 PM

She always does that deliberately. This plain, dowdy, doughy narcissist loves to push the envelope of looking even more dowdy, doughy, and narcissistic just to score some attention.

by Anonymousreply 117January 23, 2022 8:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!