Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who is the DL for?

I've recently noticed one poster who writes long, opinionated posts and only occasionally reveals (at the end of the post) that she's a young, celibate lesbian. Fine by me, but I always assume that posters are gay men unless they say otherwise early in their post or in their sign-off/username. I come here to listen to and speak with gay men; I've nothing against anyone else but, if they're from another group, I think they should say so clearly. What say you?

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2022 11:28 PM

Fraus

Re-education camp cadre

Playground bullies

Liberal/conservative thought police

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2022 8:07 AM

Trolls

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2022 8:19 AM

Klan grannies.

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2022 8:23 AM

I assume it's for gay men and lesbians with some others along for the ride. The only time some sort of identification of those "others" might be useful is when their comment is particularly outside the experience of gay men and lesbians responding to a topic.

If a 75-year-old widowed straight celibate woman wants to comment on dark room sex in Berlin gay bars or a perceived trend of lesbians disappearing from TV dram in favor of trans and non-binary characters, fine. Though I would say that if her opinion goes counter to the tone of the thread, the favor of identifying herself as someone outside the subject of discussion would be appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2022 8:47 AM

It’s an open public forum isn’t it? I pay my subs and I’m not offended by anyone here. You have your choice to comment on articles or pass them by.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2022 9:26 AM

It's "for" Mediapolis who keeps it up for two reasons: one, because they pretend they perfected a self-moderating system that "has reduced trolling to a minimum and spam entirely" (snort!) and two, because of its early internet gay gossip legacy.

The question I believe you're asking is who is actually USING Datalounge, and that would be trolls. Everyone seems to have already forgotten, but back in September the perfected "karma" system worked so perfectly it went tits up, resulting in only paying members being allowed to post. With everyone's sockpuppets gone (because no one pays for their sockpuppet account, only their main one) and all the trolls unwilling to pay, almost every single troll post disappeared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2022 9:34 AM

Anyone but straight guys, the most insufferable, elitist assholes that you will ever have to deal with.

Nothing is more annoying than someone who acts like they are innately superior and doesn't even realize that they do.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2022 1:12 PM

It's "for" anyone who comes here. Are you new to the internet, OP?

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2022 1:15 PM

It's for those who want to take their sales contact data to the next level with the global leading provider of AI driven data enrichment solutions!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2022 4:55 PM

Vance and only Vance.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2022 4:59 PM

Everyone who give their 2 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2022 6:06 PM

It's definitely trolls. Speaking of trolls, anyone else notice a whole bunch of posts on the front page are grayed out for no reason? I'm on "Asbestos Eyeballs". Someone is on an F&F spree.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2022 6:22 PM

DL is by and for New Yorkers. Everyone else can fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2022 6:54 PM

I got here by googling the name of some actor or actress I was feeling obsessive hatred toward and was delighted to find other gay people gathered together, happily sharing a mutual desire to say really awful things about that particular celeb (I can’t even remember who it was anymore) and never being called to account for any of their slanderous cruelties since they were posting anonymously.

I still love those threads and still think that’s what DL does particularly well but I’ve learned that you’ve gotta be able to take the heat if you want to stick around because no one is safe here. People are mad a lot and they want to make SOMEbody feel it.

Speaking of which, I’m sorry I told that one guy he was cheap and had no integrity. Maybe he’ll see this and forgive me for indulging myself at his expense. I have no excuse and I am sorry.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2022 7:00 PM

There should only be gay men and lesbians here.

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2022 7:04 PM

Personally, I like most of the lesbians who comment here. However, I believe the one you're referring to is more than a bit dramatic and annoying. At times this same poster claims to either be bi, possibly lesbian, or asexual. She also alternates between her regular British voice, and an inauthentic stereotypical Black Urban Dialect.

Then there's the added bonus that she admits she's completely miserable, claims no one likes her, and tells us she's borderline and in her twenties. Not at all interested in what this one has to say. If she wasn't constantly going on about how awful men and masculinity are, I'd probably shine her on. If all people can contribute here is hate and anger, they're not going be regarded well, regardless of sexual orientation. Most generally speaking, I come here to read what gay people are posting.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2022 8:21 PM

Just so people don’t pretend to be someone they’re not.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2022 8:54 PM

I always assume it's fellow gay men.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2022 8:58 PM

There are only specific instances where being or not being a gay man or lesbian invalidates your opinion.

In those rare instances, you should note that you're talking out of your butt.

Otherwise, don't whine about not having asbestos eyeballs.

This is DL - toughen up. We're not here to baby people like OP.

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2022 9:09 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2022 9:14 PM

The lesbians who come here are boring and occasionally annoyingly PC but harmless. It's the frauen and the Gen Z straight girls who are unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2022 9:16 PM

It's for people who know that it's DL not "the DL"

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2022 9:33 PM

It’s for people who are 60 but think they look 30.

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2022 9:42 PM

Cats

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2022 9:46 PM

OP/R16 my stah is born! 💫

Seriously though, you don’t have to indirect, talk up. I’d say PM instead of boring other posters with the triangulated backbiting, but Muriel hasn’t given us the function.

How comes I live in your heads rent free, then? 😂like jfc just block, or don’t read my replies and go on with your day. No-one is forcing you to interact. FF and scroll on. One of you said ‘not at all interested in what this one has to say‘, only this thread proves you are, because you wrote an entire bio about me. If by just existing in your vicinity I am bugging you this much, I must be touching off a nerve somewhere (ask your therapist, idk). Like you’re calling me ‘dramatic’, when you wasted a thread making a callout post for one person.

Jsyk too, some of your fun facts about me are inaccurate:

[quote] she admits she's completely miserable, claims no one likes her, and tells us she's borderline

Basically I’m fine, and people irl don’t mind me at all, aside from a few cunty relatives (same as for most normal people with families). Yeah, I’m a bit bored and frustrated with my current career & lifestyle—I’m posting here weekly, I must be—but I’ll change it when I’m ready or it gets bad enough. Been to therapy a few times before, and there’s nothing cluster A or B about me. Maybe a touch of C, what with th agoraphobia in the family. The sex life is also weird, but again that’s partly situational and generational. If I talk about celibacy or female sexuality, it’s just to add my unique rare perspective, rather than whinge (I feel sorry for many of you partnered people, you seem to have sad lives).

[quote] She also alternates between her regular British voice, and an inauthentic stereotypical Black Urban Dialect.

Urban vernacular is used by a majority of today’s young people (under 30-35) when online. You pick it up naturally by interacting with others in their 20s/in College. Language evolves and spreads in strange ways; I don’t see why I’m being held accountable for that. If I’m typing like a roadman, 9/10 I’m tongue-in-cheek or posting banter for which caps lock felt like effort. Ceci n’est pas deep😔

[quote] If she wasn't constantly going on about how awful men and masculinity are

Really, I only make such comments on T threads about AGP men, referring to that particular minority who are awful to and for all gay people. However, regular straight men (who don’t fetishise or abuse others) don’t even register with me, they’re NPCs in my life. I’m neutral. I’ll make fun of a hetero man occasionally, but that’s all. The mean little dyke isn’t bullying your precious straight mens..

And so what if I am youngish, have opinions and enjoy long convos. These are not crimes, and also not really good grounds to send for someone. If I’m ‘annoying’ any dickish middle-aged person and making them rethink or at least admit to holding a few calcified ideas, at least I was able to contribute something to this dying medium.

If and when Muriel wants me gone, she’ll kick me off, and I’ll have to accept that (and shall go gracefully), but until such time, this board isn’t governed by mob rule. There are posters here who I think post objectionable content, but I don’t expose them or call for their expulsion, because I understand the concept of posting in an open public forum.

As for ‘angry’ and ‘full of hate’—as grown men from the big bad U S of A, I’m sure you can handle the little cat scratches of a silly sex-starved provincial crumpet, no?😘

This hasn’t soured my vibe, but to be less glib, I wish we got on better. I don’t want to fight with people who I have found to be funny and supportive and interesting since I got here as a high-schooler. As a goodwill gesture, from now I won’t post more about my personal life unless directly asked, and I apologise for anyone I may have offended with my *reads smudged writing on hand* alloying drab attics?

As you were, gents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2022 11:09 PM

[quote] I always assume that posters are gay men unless they say otherwise

I used to assume that years ago, before so many straight women came on board. They are the ones choosing “Everyone” in the poll, because they couldn’t care less about preserving a message board for gay people.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2022 11:16 PM

on many Reddit boards, including some of the gay ones, you need to specify your age range and gender. Makes the questions, answers, and responses a lot more comprehensive. Also keeps the temperature down in arguments.

Who wants to argue with a 20 year old about what makes a relationship last a long time? Who wants to argue with a racist who is in their 70s?

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2022 11:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!