Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gayle to Replace Maddow? Clutch Your Pearls DL Queens!

It’s just splashy gossip and probably not true, but I’m exercising journalistic intent here….

I also don’t think it will come true so I didn’t post in the MSNBC thread, but our fave Gayle King is leaving her throne in May it seems…Will they at least leave Tony Dokupil so I still have a reason to tune in? CBS This Morning my fave of the AM news shows!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 30, 2022 5:16 AM

Heavily injected bewigged as on MSNBC?

NO FUCKING WAY!

THAT'S ME!

I BROKE THAT FUCKING BITCHES'S ASS, SO GO THE FUCK AWAY, CUNT!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2022 7:24 AM

What exactly are her journalist credentials?

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2022 7:31 AM

Wouldn't Maddow's job be a step down? It's cable, probably pays less.

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2022 7:32 AM

R3 Doesn’t she have to get up at some ungodly hour each morning, anything with an evening taping is a step up I’d say.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2022 7:36 AM

How do women who rely on wigs and fake hair get along in real life? It's not as though they have Carrie Bradshaw hair, but they all pretend extensive tresses beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2022 7:37 AM

Funny thing about Gayle. She hasn't had a boyfriend or husband in almost 30 years. I wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2022 7:39 AM

Is this a joke?

Oh well MSNBC gave up journalism years ago.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2022 7:44 AM

Her PR team is doing a crappy job of creating buzz as she renegotiates without Susan Zirinsky there to protect her job. None of the scenarios they describe would fly. Gayle with Hoda on the Today Show would not be “the most formidable duo on TV."

Sounds like Gayle may soon be doing celeb interviews for 60 Minutes--well, 2 interviews and then she'll drift away and we'll do a WHET Gayle King, here.

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2022 7:48 AM

I'm sure replacing a butchy lesbian intellectual with a heavily bewigged other great friend of Oprah will hold out well.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2022 8:14 AM

[quote]What exactly are her journalist credentials?

Actually, they're good. She worked her way up from small local stations before she met the whale.

I still hate her.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2022 8:22 AM

I love Gayle. She is the only reason I watch CBS Mornings---though Nate is a hot edition..I love how NBC Today Show is FINALLY willing to get rid of Dim Bulb Savannah Guthrie...She must be thrilled to know NBC is talking about kicking her to the curb for Gayle.

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2022 9:43 AM

Has there ever been a person in the limelight that had no identity of herself. Everything she does revolves around Oprah. Even this article has to mention Oprah. I tuned into CBS once to see and guess what, that day was Oprah's book club. She was on Drew Barrymore to talk about her anniversary and they did one whole segment on Oprah's favorite things. Ah well, pays the rent.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2022 9:50 AM

Oh for fucks sake, if they are going to replace someone like Maddow who at least started out with doctorate in political science from Oxford with a friend of Oprah, they might as well just go with one of the Kardashian.

Be honest, if you are going to make the argument that Gayle doesn't need a real background in politics because she bring in Oprah's followers, then Kim Kardashian is just as viable. Dont try to sell us some horse shit about Gayle's "life experience" being any more qualified.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2022 10:01 AM

Let's see what's Gayle only qualification....oh right, she's black. That's all that matters now.

MSNBC = Black, Black, Black, White, Black, White, Black = No Fats, No Fems, No Asians.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2022 10:03 AM

Compared to the others Oprah has forced upon the public (Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz), King is a fucking saint.

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2022 12:44 PM

I hate that fucking ABCDEFU song.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2022 12:45 PM

Will it still be called the Rachel Maddow Show, but hosted by Gayle? Will Rachel maintain executive producer credit for it?

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2022 1:37 PM

Rachel has the farthest reach she will likely ever have right now with her show.

Unless she's simply tired of the grind of doing a daily show, so is holding out for a ton of money, she go the way of so many other tv journalists who left their shows because they believed their own hype.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2022 1:43 PM

How about she replace Joy Reid with a co-host?

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2022 1:53 PM

I think one of the gals from the View or the Talk should take over the Rachel Show.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2022 1:57 PM

How about Rosie O'Donnell for the Madow show? I need some of her insanity at 9PM.

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2022 2:02 PM

R21 Can she broadcast live from her cruise ships?

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2022 2:05 PM

Gayle King is 67 years old. I realize black don't crack but could she anchor something more serious than morning TV?

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2022 2:09 PM

Is she smart enough for that job?

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2022 2:19 PM

Gayle is the most disliked figure in journalism, rightfully. I cringe when she opens her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2022 2:25 PM

R24 No.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2022 2:25 PM

Tony Dokoupil (?) Is a FINE man, very sexy, masculine, hairy, looks so damn good in his form fitting suits, a nice head of hair, strong expressive hands, I like that his body language speaks volumes to me, very expressive face, he's my sexual ideal and I enjoy waking up with him in the morning, and telling me all the news. I know he's happily married, straight and adorably Jewish, and he makes my heart go pitter-patter. He's dreamy. :-)

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2022 2:41 PM

GAYle King will never leave the Colored People's Broadcasting System. She sees herself as moving into a regular spot on 60 Minutes and then eventually anchoring the Evening News.....

Sad day for real journalism.

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2022 2:47 PM

Gayle is a real journalist. Look it up.

by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2022 3:06 PM

[quote] Is she smart enough for that job?

Gayle can’t replace a lightbulb.

by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2022 3:34 PM

r29 lol

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2022 3:36 PM

She is proof of the significance of luck, timing and very good friends.

by Anonymousreply 32January 19, 2022 4:29 PM

Tony Dokoupil would be better if he didn't have a speech impediment. He sticks his uppers into the lower lip when saying a word with an "S" Matt Lauer did it too, but Laurer had big rabbit teeth. When Tony does it, it looks like he has NO teeth.

by Anonymousreply 33January 19, 2022 4:42 PM

R11 is Gayle's PR frau.

by Anonymousreply 34January 19, 2022 4:52 PM

[quote] What exactly are her journalist credentials?

She's a black woman and a queen!

MSNBC is the new BET.

by Anonymousreply 35January 19, 2022 5:09 PM

She's a black woman and a queen!

MSNBC is the new BET.

by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2022 5:09 PM

[quote]Will it still be called the Rachel Maddow Show, but hosted by Gayle? Will Rachel maintain executive producer credit for it?

They want ratings, they'll call it "Oprah's Best Friend"

by Anonymousreply 37January 19, 2022 5:23 PM

I suppose Gayle is every bit as capable of waving a single page of a single tax return and proclaiming she has Trump by the balls, much like Maddow did, much to the delight of Trump and Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2022 5:41 PM

That was definitely not one of Rachel's finest moments, R38. I remember watching and being embarrassed for her.

And now back Gayle King-Winfrey...

by Anonymousreply 39January 19, 2022 5:51 PM

[quote]I suppose Gayle is every bit as capable of waving a single page of a single tax return and proclaiming she has Trump by the balls, much like Maddow did, much to the delight of Trump and Republicans.

Still not letting that moment go are we?

Now call her Rachel Madcow!

by Anonymousreply 40January 19, 2022 5:58 PM

You can always tell a p.r. shill when they attempt to include everyone in their promotion. It gushes about “our fave” Gayle just like it continually referred to SJP as “our girl” when pushing AJLT…

by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2022 6:10 PM

It was a stupid, idiotic and completely irrational thing to do (even by the loosey goosey standards of cable news, R40, and anyone and everyone associated with the decision to run with it should have had their asses handed to them.

If there had been an adult in charge, all they would have had to do was consult any junior year accounting student to see what a stupid move this was to make. Worse, it only added fuel to Trump's lame ass "fake news" fire.

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2022 6:29 PM

King's career began as a production assistant at WJZ-TV in Baltimore, where she met Oprah Winfrey, an anchor for the station at the time. King later trained as a reporter at WUSA-TV in Washington, D.C.[7][8] After working at WJZ, she moved to Kansas City, Missouri, where she was a weekend anchor and general-assignment reporter at WDAF-TV.[9] In 1981, she was hired as a news anchor for WFSB in Hartford, Connecticut, where she worked for 18 years.[8] Part of that time, she lived in Glastonbury, Connecticut.[7]

by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2022 7:48 PM

The article was exaggerating a bit. I agree it’s probably to drum up hype.

The article says she may consider moving to LA where the hours could be more favorable. But I disagree, she’s an older lady so waking up early is fine by her.

I think they’ll give her a decent raise and she’ll stay right where she is. Giving her segments on 60 minutes could be included as a sort of promotion (because what kind of “journalist” is AC?).

I’m a fan. A friend of Oprah’s who has maintained her professionalism and took the privilege seriously. Compared to someone like Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil or other loonies Oprah has offered up.

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2022 9:57 PM

OMG I had to stop watching CBS in the am because Gayle is insufferable! Oh well MSNBC if she’ comes on board it was nice knowing you.

by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2022 10:01 PM

Gayle King? If you are going to sink that low, then just go with Trump's female Uncle Tom Ms. Amarosa! At least she would be a more entertaining train wreck, You point is ratings right? Jerry Springer that show! Gayle is BOOOOORING.

by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2022 10:02 PM

The author of OP's article has also had the following articles recently

[quote] Khloé Kardashian 'taking the high road' after Tristan Thompson apology

[quote] Kanye West 'still pursuing' Kim Kardashian amid Julia Fox romance

[quote] Kim Kardashian ‘doubling down that she’s single’ as Kanye hangs with Vinetria

I wouldn't put much into this this authors musings.

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2022 10:16 PM

O & Gayle need to create a show where they travel all over the globe looking for adventure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2022 11:34 PM

Thanks for posting your resume Gayle AKA R43. Unfortunately it's very lackluster compared to today's talent. We will keep your resume in the round file should an opening match your skill set.

by Anonymousreply 49January 21, 2022 12:32 AM

10 years ago Ms. King couldn't even get invited to the opening of an envelope. She was a joke - known exclusively as Oprah's best friend. Someone threw her a bone and put her on The Early Show on CBS. When she first started she only appeared in hour 2 of the program because hour 1 was devoted to hard-hitting news and discussion which Gayle was not seen as a great fit for.

Now a decade later she somehow became the Queen of CBS News with all the networks fighting for her services.

by Anonymousreply 50January 21, 2022 12:45 AM

I can't stand her. I can't believe they got rid of Anthony Mason and kept her and those two young guys.

Who do they think the audience is for this show? The same crew that used to watch Oprah?

by Anonymousreply 51January 21, 2022 12:58 AM

CBS pays her 9 million dollars a year!?!

She was unemployed throughout the 2000s except as a one-day a week radio host on Oprah's Sirus radio channel. Who you know really is the only thing that matters these days.

by Anonymousreply 52January 21, 2022 1:02 AM

With those quadruple eyelashes, she could just fly the commute back-and-forth each evening.

by Anonymousreply 53January 21, 2022 1:35 AM

[quote]I can't stand her. I can't believe they got rid of Anthony Mason

Anthony, you're 65+ and over the hill+. Posting here will not get you another job such as the Eleventh Hour on MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 54January 21, 2022 1:39 AM

MSBET

by Anonymousreply 55January 21, 2022 1:45 AM

She;s a news reader. I'm sure her extensive exoerience as a reporter in a small markets has equipped her to cover fires and car crashes. She doesn't have Rachel's gravitas. Why would someone want to kill MSNBC? Oh, right. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 56January 21, 2022 2:14 AM
by Anonymousreply 57January 21, 2022 3:10 AM

[quote] She's a black woman and a queen! MSNBC is the new BET.

[quote] She's a black woman and a queen!

[quote] Gayle to Replace Maddow? Clutch Your Pearls DL Queens! MSBET

MSNBC airs what like 20 shows a daily mon - fri. Of those twenty, 2 of the hosts are black.

[quote] Who you know really is the only thing that matters these days.

That's always been true; except for in the past only white males benefitted from it.

by Anonymousreply 58January 21, 2022 3:44 AM

Gayle signs new CBS contract, so no she isn't replacing Rachel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 29, 2022 2:18 AM

Doesn’t CBS have some sort of contract with CNN, see Anderson Cooper? I’ve read that CNN has an interest in her for its 9:00 slot. “Gayle King Live” sounds right..

by Anonymousreply 60January 29, 2022 2:25 AM

That's silly. She has nothing in common with Rachel Maddow. She would never do similar analyses. She's a news reader first and an interviewer second and a banterer third.

But she's not an imposter. She has bona fides despite benefiting from being Oprah's buddy. She's been a TV reporter in Missouri, Connecticut and Baltimore (where she met Oprah), just like any other TV reporter working up the ranks. She hosted an NBC talk show, she had her own failed talk show, she had an XM satellite talk show, and then Oprah gave her a show on OWN.

She has benefited from her ties to Oprah, but she worked independently in local TV for a long time before that. I don't think she deserves to be undermined since she put in the work.

by Anonymousreply 61January 29, 2022 2:27 AM

[quote] Doesn’t CBS have some sort of contract with CNN, see Anderson Cooper?

I think it is just in Anderson's contract that he isn't exclusive with CNN, since no other CNN personalities appear on CBS,

by Anonymousreply 62January 29, 2022 2:42 AM

Idk, R62, whenever CNN airs pre-1980 news footage, the source invariably seems to be CBS.

by Anonymousreply 63January 29, 2022 2:46 AM

Whilst it is poss. Gayle got a leg up (if you'll excuse the pun) via Oprah. But I don't think she'd be where she is on nepotism alone. I think we could do what the RF is doing w/the Montecito Cabbage Patch Parents. Give Gayle enough rope and she'll hang herself. She's not stupid. She's not nearly as offensive as many airhead telly presenters. I don't watch TV, but I've seen Gayle online, and I can't find anything more offensive about her than anybody else who inhabits that vacuous big blank nothing.

by Anonymousreply 64January 29, 2022 3:15 AM

She's a morning show host. Being depthless is part of the job description.

by Anonymousreply 65January 29, 2022 3:20 AM

Gayle is one of Meghan Markle's mouthpieces.

Whatever journalistic credentials GK used to have, she dumped when she neglected to counter MM's passport claims when GK actually attended a baby shower for Harry's wife in NYC and was a witness to MM's presence out of the UK, which would have required a passport.

Journalist? Hardly.

by Anonymousreply 66January 29, 2022 5:22 PM

[quote] Gayle is one of Meghan Markle's mouthpieces. Whatever journalistic credentials GK used to have, she dumped when she neglected to counter MM's passport claims when GK actually attended a baby shower for Harry's wife in NYC and was a witness to MM's presence out of the UK, which would have required a passport. Journalist? Hardly.

Which moment of the day are you not thinking about Meghan Markle?

by Anonymousreply 67January 29, 2022 6:44 PM

The only thing Gayle is good at is eating out Oprah's pussy.

by Anonymousreply 68January 29, 2022 6:49 PM

I’m tired of maddow

by Anonymousreply 69January 29, 2022 6:50 PM

These networks swap out cisgender talking heads like they're mass-produced auto parts.

by Anonymousreply 70January 29, 2022 6:51 PM

[quote] I’m tired of maddow

The feeling is mutual.

by Anonymousreply 71January 29, 2022 6:53 PM

Well said R56. I shall also add jo one can replace Maddow, they'll merely be taking her time slot. King is painfully mainstream, and wholly incapable of the political analysis and investigative reporting Maddow provides.

by Anonymousreply 72January 30, 2022 5:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!