Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Diana Ross … Love Hangover

Bicentennial number one single in America neck and neck with Silly Love Songs … the sound of funky America and the emergence of disco, brought to you by the Queen of Motown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 4, 2022 10:37 AM

Brings back great memories. Worked at End-Up and I-Beam on Haight in San Francisco. Always cleared the clubs to the dance floor. What a time to be alive.

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2022 1:20 AM

I always hated how first the song is slow, then it becomes fast.

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2022 1:29 AM

I never saw the appeal of this track. It's not even a real song. Awful, just awful. Especially coming right after her number one hit "Mahogany", which was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2022 1:30 AM

R3 Glad I’m not alone.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2022 1:34 AM

I love watching Diana control the crowd with this song on The Midnight Special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2022 2:00 AM

She was so trendy when someone wrote her a song and explained it and arranged it and recorded it and set-dressed her and prepped her and rehearsed her and told her where to stand!

A true trendsetter.

Always doing what the Berry of the moment told her to do.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2022 2:17 AM

Closed many a night on the dance floor with “Love Hangover”.

(The extended version, of course)

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2022 2:33 AM

A bit of a bummer isn’t it, so low in energy and that’s so unlike the usual perky Miss Ross

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2022 4:52 AM

I love this song. A bit of a departure to her with the unusual structure and Ross improvising throughout the song (even mimicking Billie Holiday at one point).

Personally, I love how the song starts off slow and then kicks up the tempo.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2022 4:59 AM

Eric Kupper tried his best here, but still…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2022 5:00 AM

Da bass line in dat song so funky you make a FACE!

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2022 5:15 AM

That song really brings me back to humid summer nights in Clark,NJ at my grandparents house. It was a 25 minute drive from where we lived and my mother would have WNBC on and this was in constant rotation. I loved my grandma so much I swear I may have well been literally going to visit heaven.

Simpler, sweeter, more beautiful times.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2022 5:18 AM

Yes, Diana had several hits at a single artist (Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Touch Me in the Morning). But this was her first true mega-hit as a solo artist. It took her six years, but she finally made it to the top.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2022 5:40 AM

R13 speaks gibberish. Does not know shit from shinola. That will be all.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2022 5:46 AM

I remember this song from Looking for Mr. Goodbar

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2022 5:58 AM

From the same era: Studio 54

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2022 6:54 AM

Love Hangover is the poor man’s Love To Love You Baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2022 8:37 AM

I read somewhere that the reason LH exists is due to LTLYB.

Although Ross was not a disco artist, she got on the bandwagon after the success of Donna Summer's hit of 1975.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2022 9:15 AM

I can see why the song would be a hit. Couples could enjoy a nice steamy bump and grind together on the dance floor for the first part. Then, they could get down and boogie for the second part when the disco part began.

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2022 12:23 PM

the backup singers at the transition to the faster section are SOOO fucking out of tune, they must have been paid in cocaine

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2022 12:29 PM

Thief!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2022 1:00 PM

The song is perfect. But of course Moroder + Summer could toss off several a YEAR.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2022 1:06 PM

R21

How did this version come about? Well, Diana and Motown were not enthusiastic about disco, thinking it was a passing fad. The focus was to turn her into the black Barbra Streisand and this song did not fit into the plans. She had to be coaxed into recording it with vodka and ended up doing a damn good job! The song was added to her 1976 LP “Diana Ross” probably to give it more texture and show off her versatility.

In any case, it was not considered for single release. Then the members of the Fifth Dimension who had recently lost Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr picked up on the buzz coming from the clubs got over Diana’s album track. They went into the studio and recorded their version with the idea that they would fill the need for a single. Florence LaRue handled the lead vocals here.

When Motown got wind of that news, they rush released Diana’s song and both versions debuted the same week. Everyone knows that Diana reached #1 and the Fifth Dimension, well, it peaked at #80. They never recovered and never had another pop hit. The only way to get the disco version is on the promotional 7" single, and that took me some doing to get my paws on a clean copy. So give it a listen. Back in da day, clubs played both versions to change it up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2022 1:12 PM

R21 prefer Diana's version. It's less cluttered.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2022 1:40 PM

R13, I just looked: Love Hangover was Diana Ross’ 4th Number 1 song out of her 6 as a solo artist. She also had 12 #1 songs as a lead singer of The Supremes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2022 2:21 PM

[quote]Eric Kupper tried his best here, but still…

He took all the sex out of the song! It's about the bassline, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2022 2:27 PM

[quote] Although Ross was not a disco artist, she got on the bandwagon after the success of Donna Summer's hit of 1975.

Here are Billboards Top Disco Songs of all time. Love Hangover is there and Upside Down is not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2022 2:45 PM

R26 is so correct.

by Anonymousreply 28February 20, 2022 3:59 PM

Florence LaRue sounds like Mary Wilson but with a decent singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 29February 20, 2022 4:07 PM

The song was co-writeen by two women, one white and British (Pam Sawer) and one black and American (Marilyn McLeod, who died recently).

by Anonymousreply 30February 20, 2022 4:08 PM

This mix takes forever to get going as nineties club mixes tend to, but it correctly emphasises the bassline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 20, 2022 4:10 PM

*co-written

by Anonymousreply 32February 20, 2022 4:12 PM

Tired retread

by Anonymousreply 33February 20, 2022 4:24 PM

R2, the slow trot-to-galloping arrangement emulated "Don't Leave Me This Way," recorded earlier by Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes, and covered by Thelma Houston in '76, after Diana Ross turned it down because it followed the same formula as "Love Hangover."

by Anonymousreply 34February 20, 2022 5:01 PM

[quote]I can see why the song would be a hit. Couples could enjoy a nice steamy bump and grind together on the dance floor for the first part. Then, they could get down and boogie for the second part when the disco part began.

I was listening to a podcast the other day on the history of disco and they were saying that back then clubs would, every hour or so, play a slow song before getting back into the dance tracks. This song would've been great for doing that, all within the one song.

I only discovered this song in the last day or so. While I see others here are lukewarm on it, I really like it! And I don't really even like disco that much!

by Anonymousreply 35May 4, 2022 10:25 AM

r7 it ended the night for two years until donna summer's "last dance" replaced it.

by Anonymousreply 36May 4, 2022 10:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!