Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“The Best of Gilbert and Sullivan”

On "the Brady Bunch" Mike brings home a record album to play on the new Hi-Fi stereo Alice won and for some reason was in the family room not her room

This proves Mike was a gay.

But I was wondering, what songs do the gays of Datalounge think would be on a "“Best of Gilbert and Sullivan” album?

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2022 11:20 PM

That awful "Mikado"? I know nothing about opera but I have heard about that one. I downloaded it and tried to like it but I just couldn't. I do like classical music but I can't bear opera. I do know that it takes a tremendous amount of talent to produce the sound that opera singers produce. It takes talent and hard work and dedication but, to my ears, the results are not good. They are almost comical, in fact. I've tried but I cannot cultivate the taste for opera.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 8:23 PM

Mike was handsome in that episode but really couldn't they have found a better album for him than the "Best of G & S"?"

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 9:14 PM

It’s not opera. It’s operetta.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 9:17 PM

The Sun Whose Rays is their best song.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 9:20 PM

The entire finale to the first act of Iolanthe is genius. Pure genius, without any let up for almost an half an hour.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 9:23 PM

r5

Like the part in the Wizard of Oz that starts "It really was no miracle it happend just like this..."

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 9:32 PM

They explain why the Kardashians have money and I don't.

See how the Fates their gifts allot

For A is happy, B is not

Yet B is worthy, I dare say

Of more prosperity than A

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 9:34 PM

Pirates of Penzance, HMS Pinafore, Mikado

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2022 12:45 AM

It was actually The Best of Gilbert O'Sullivan.

Draw your own conclusions.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2022 6:14 AM

Well, three little maids of course.

And the song that goes "Let the punishment fit the crime."

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2022 6:39 AM

R5 Iolanthe is my favorite G&S work. It’s musically closer to a comic opera than an operetta. That first act finale sequence is reminiscent of the long finale of the second act of Mozart’s Marriage of Figaro. For me, the Iolanthe finale is diminished only by Sullivan’s reliance on an Edwardian music hall-type melody at the very end, something which, like the patter song earlier in Act 1, must have been required for G&S theatre goers.

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2022 9:45 AM

R11 I hear what you say but I think that Sullivan got away with those occasionally obvious melodies -- the fact that they have such a strong beat is part of what makes them still popular today. What other popular music from that time is still played today with such frequency (or, for that matter, at all)?

Sullivan bemoaned that he would only be known for these operettas, and his friends constantly told him to compose more serious stuff -- which he did, but it's really not that good. This is what he did best, and he was wise to keep it going all the way to the end, where, however, everything finally fell apart. The Grand Duke, which I've never heard, is supposed to be appalling.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2022 2:24 PM

r12 no way

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2022 10:00 PM

I find it interesting that Gilbert, though he made jokes about middle-aged women in love, would still write lyrics for sympathetic songs, as in Pirates of Penzance, Patience and The Mikado.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2022 11:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!