Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If you can’t afford to tip drivers, do NOT order for delivery

For God’s sake, if you don't tip drivers, don’t order delivery, or you support slavery, you will eventually be enslaved!! Look at how much money I made, spending total 4 hours, $71!!!! Less $8 gas.. WTF

I recently received some orders that’s large during the pin, like $13/5 miles, you are happy with order like this right? That means the tip is at least $8. You make the one-time delivery, these motherfuckers slick. It will reduce the tip back to $2, the order ends up at $7. Contacted DoorDash, there is nothing they can do. I hope these MFs get choked while eating the food. SoB

by Anonymousreply 194January 26, 2022 11:05 PM

OP, I'd tell you to suck it up and get a better job, but after trying to read your sloppy ravings, it's clear that's not possible for you.

Are you drunk, or just a shitty communicator?

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 7:17 PM

I'll take it one step further: If you can't afford to tip delivery driver, don't bother ordering out at all. Cook for yourself. It's a lot cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 7:23 PM

OP, I am sorry. I must admit I have not been tipping my Uber Eats drivers. I thought that was what the delivery fee was for?

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 7:28 PM

I am door dashing on the side. I find it to be a good supplemental thing.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 7:28 PM

Amen to that, OP!

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 7:31 PM

I know ordering food for delivery is the height of laziness - and I admit I do it all the time - SO I TIP WELL. If I can afford to be a lazy ass, at least I can be a decent person and help the drivers who barely make money from these.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 7:32 PM

It kind of reminds me of the people who spam this site but can't afford a subscription.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 8:17 PM

I tip my DoorDash/Grubhub drivers well, but I don't like that the apps don't allow you to tip the restaurant staff who prepare/package the order and deal with the drivers. There should be a way to tip both.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2022 8:20 PM

I live in a particularly difficult place to find. They get a good tip!

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2022 8:21 PM

[quote]I recently received some orders that’s large during the pin

What does this mean? I don’t understand what you mean by “during the pin”.

[quote]like $13/5 miles, you are happy with order like this right? That means the tip is at least $8.

Help me to understand this. How do you figure that you’ll get an $8 tip off of a $13 order? What am I missing?

[quote]You make the one-time delivery, these motherfuckers slick. It will reduce the tip back to $2, the order ends up at $7.

Wait, what? How did the order go from $13 to $7? What did I miss?

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2022 8:25 PM

R8, that's a whole other issue. I waited tables back in the 90's when I was in college. Waiters have to claim their sales and tips at the end of each shift for tax purposes. I'm not sure how they're handling it these days, but that would suck having to ring up a bunch of orders and not get anything, but have to claim tips you never made.

R10, think of it this way... do taxi drivers drive you around for free? I mean, it's one thing to stiff a server at a restaurant, but it takes an extra special lazy cheap ass bean counter have someone pick up and drive the food to your god damned house.

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2022 8:31 PM

R10 Bless this Meth!

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2022 8:32 PM

I always tip 15%, but NOT ON A DRUNK DELIVERY. I've had some come up to my door twice obviously loaded, even weaving. I tried to distract and delay as I called 911 and even managed to get the plate on one of two. I don't know what came of these. I did call Door Dash, but I don't know if it mattered.

Does the OP expect drunks to be generous? No;. They're trying to pry as much as you are.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2022 8:36 PM

Wegmans now adds the 20% tip to the order. One can change it, but I do only to round up (like today).

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2022 8:36 PM

[quote]R10, think of it this way... do taxi drivers drive you around for free? I mean, it's one thing to stiff a server at a restaurant, but it takes an extra special lazy cheap ass bean counter have someone pick up and drive the food to your god damned house.

I’m not arguing any of the issues. I just want clarification on the specifics in the OP, which make no sense to me. Your response above answers none of my questions.

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2022 8:39 PM

What about buying a loaf of bread at the artisanal bakery and when you check out they give you a range of tips you can leave and the person who put your bread in a bag watches you choose “no tip” and they passive-aggressively point out to you how many points you need before you get your “free loaf of bread, isn’t that great?” in their member rewards program?

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2022 8:39 PM

R16 What kind of white-nonsense "artisanal bakery" has a member rewards program?

The fuck outta here with that!

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2022 8:41 PM

OP you already get your your pay for every run, now stop being spoiled and learn to see tips as a kindness extra instead of a RIGHT you're entitled to.

BY THE WAY, I always tip 99,5%, but I cannot stand the entitlement of American waiters and drivers expecting people to pay them TWICE and to give them a HUGE tip for basic service.

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2022 8:41 PM

So expecting to be paid a decent, living wage is now entitlement, R18?

I bet your shit don't stank either.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2022 8:45 PM

[quote]So expecting to be paid a decent, living wage is now entitlement, [R18]?

The restaurants and, in this case, the delivery platforms need to pay better or perhaps share some of that "delivery fee" with the person who's actually delivering the orders. I don't use any of the food-delvery apps since the cost for a meal can easily double once fees, tax, and are added. Then I'm supposed to tip on top of it? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2022 8:50 PM

R19 that's EXACTLY my point, TIPS ARE AN EXTRA, they are not your pay.

IF all you make monthly is money from the tips you get, while the total rest of the pay goes to the app you 100% ARE being enslaved ALREADY and that is not the costumers' fault.

by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2022 8:50 PM

R19 Willingly signing up to be exploited by billion-dollar corporations in 2021 won't win much sympathy from ordinary people.

They use their own fuel, wear out their own cars, risk injury and damage to themselves and their own vehicles, all so some fat cunt can get Hooters at home and some tech billionaires in SF can get marginally richer.

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2022 8:51 PM

R21 I was banned from hosting the Oscars after dressing up in whiteface as Elizabeth I, and it was entirely "the costumers'" fault!

by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2022 8:52 PM

Thanks Whitney R23

😆😂

by Anonymousreply 24January 18, 2022 8:56 PM

I ordered Chinese delivery through DoorDash at the beginning of the pandemic, which I seldom do because my house is really hard to find.

The driver passed by the house three or four times, and then stopped at my drive. I figured he was scared to walk down my long, gravel drive so I walked up to get the delivery and he’d rolled over in the ditch and fire trucks and police cars were out there! I felt so horrible but the police wouldn’t let me talk to him even though he was physically okay.

When I contacted DoorDash to try to tip him they wouldn’t let me and wouldn’t send a message to the driver to get in contact. I was going to send him some cash but was stymied.

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2022 9:01 PM

UE= uber eats, GH=grub hub and DD= door dash

You the customer set the price, if you order $3 of food from McDonalds you can set the tip. Let's say you do $2 tip.

So the PING (call) goes out to the drivers for $5.00. The "Pin" indicates the location. Then the driver can choose or not to accept the ping and take the order.

One problem is all the platforms allow the customer to take back the "tip," after a delivery.

UE is strictly a pick up and go. With GH and/or DD you may have to go into the restaurant and order and pay for the food. (They give you a card for payment, so the driver doesn't have to front the cost).

Other factors is restaurants don't always have food ready on time, deliveries are usually rushly made and the "last concern" of the restaurant and now with staffing issues restaurants will close and leave drivers with open orders, because it closed early. Restaurant have to turn off the app or it will show open.

The OP was saying the original order was $13 ($5 food, $8 tip) and the distance was $5 miles. Then the customer reduced the tip to $2.00

And he made $17..75 an hour, not including gas.

by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2022 9:08 PM

R20, that's tip pooling. It sucks that restaurants are pushing this, that's shady as shit. Waiters make far below minimum wage with the understanding that their tips will make up for the difference. In reality, businesses are *supposed* to make up for the difference to bring them up to at least minimum wage if they don't make enough during a given shift, but they never do. It was about $2.30/hr + tips when I waited tables. You're not doing someone a kindness by tipping them, that's their living. The IRS will come after them and audit them otherwise when it comes time to file taxes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2022 9:13 PM

R17, it’s a bakery that’s been around for 120 years but now they’ve added twee shit like sprouted spelt rolls, Chardonnay miche and lavender matcha lattes, so… Their sourdough is delicious, as it always has been.

And I’m not tipping 20% because someone put a loaf of bread in a bag for me.

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2022 9:14 PM

So who else should I tip because the OP thinks its a great idea?

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2022 9:20 PM

R28, these places shouldn't be in business to begin with if they can't even afford to pay their employees the bare minimum living wage.

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2022 9:21 PM

[quote] don't bother ordering out at all. Cook for yourself. It's a lot cheaper.

Americans have turned into Hedonism-bots

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2022 9:23 PM

And it is not as if there are not a million jobs out there to do now OP. I would hang up my car keys if I were you.

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2022 9:23 PM

Anyone who has enough money to own, operate and insure a personal vehicle in the first place can surely afford to find a better paying part time gig. Or write off their vehicle mileage as a business/workplace expense. But maybe you're too stupid to realize that OP. Do you even have a driver's license or insurance?

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2022 9:26 PM

Don't forget the dead head. If a driver drives five miles TO you, they also have to drive five miles BACK with no income.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2022 9:31 PM

Subway, now has a tip amount for you to choose when you pay for your order. SUBWAY!? Da fuck is happening?!

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2022 9:41 PM

The amount of tip that delivery people expect is now absurd.

Therefore, I no longer order out.

It's really that simple.

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2022 9:50 PM

Why can't Americans feed themselves anymore?

Any fool can whip something up in a microwave in 12 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2022 9:51 PM

R27 Owners oftentimes take from the tip pool and usually get away with it. . For instance in my area a well-known restaurateur did this recently. She was taking tips and paying the kitchen with them. Outright stealing from her employees to pay others who work for her. When she was caught doing it by an employee, she fired her and made her sign a non-disclosure.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2022 9:53 PM

If Joe Biden had any backbone he would ELIMINATE tipping and compulsory tipping and set a basic wage for all the professions.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2022 9:55 PM

[quote] The amount of tip that delivery people expect is now absurd. Therefore, I no longer order out.

Is now absurd? There has never been a change to how much to tip delivery people. It’s always been the same. Why are you saying it’s now absurd. Seems like you can’t afford to get delivery or eat out since you don’t want to tip.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2022 9:57 PM

[quote] Anyone who has enough money to own, operate and insure a personal vehicle in the first place can surely afford to find a better paying part time gig.

So according to you, there would be NO delivery drivers at all ever.

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2022 9:59 PM

My tip is to STFU, OP. Your little attitude is hardly going to make anybody wish to do anything but hand you a euthasia gift card.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2022 10:03 PM

One of the prepared food delivery sites I use now shows the amount total amount of the order designated for the delivery person. It's meant to show that it's not an inconsequential portion of the total price and includes a minimum amount for any order. They note that any additional tip is at the customer's discretion, but also that anything additional is of course appreciated by the delivery person.

Maybe it's transparency or a hint of virtue signaling but I'm glad for the breakdown. Tips are not customary here at restaurants except occasionally, and in what to Americans (or American Dataloungers at least) would seem very small amounts, so it's good to understand how the delivery people are paid. Also with the apps you have a very clear sense of how much time a delivery person devoted to your order from the point of leaving to collect it and then bringing it from the restaurant to your home; that gives a sense, too, of what a good tip is.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2022 10:12 PM

[quote]Any fool can whip something up in a microwave in 12 minutes.

Not all of us have that fancy 'lectricity. Some of us have generators where you can't plug in more than a seven in total.

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2022 10:12 PM

[quote] If Joe Biden had any backbone he would ELIMINATE tipping and compulsory tipping and set a basic wage for all the professions.

You can't be serious.

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2022 10:18 PM

I tip my Doordash drivers, very, very well.

I do it because I am lazy and they are doing me a favor.

I also have noticed how quickly I get my orders too.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2022 10:21 PM

R46 is defatard as is all her alter ego posts on here

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2022 10:24 PM

Taking back a tip you agreed to is a dick move. Agreed.

But if that's the way the business works, it's on you to decide if it is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2022 10:25 PM

That's TERRIBLE, R25! Were you at least able to pull your moo shu and egg rolls from the wreckage? If so, was your order still hot? Were any of the firemen hot?

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2022 10:30 PM

Muh baby gotta eats.

by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2022 10:32 PM

[quote]she fired her and made her sign a non-disclosure.

If she fired her first, she couldn't force her to sign anything.

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2022 10:39 PM

R43, what cuntry do you live in?

by Anonymousreply 52January 18, 2022 10:42 PM

[quote]When she was caught doing it by an employee, she fired her and made her sign a non-disclosure.

R38 How did she force the employee to sign a non-disclosure? Did she pay her off? No one is forced to sign a non-disclosure with a big payoff.

by Anonymousreply 53January 18, 2022 10:50 PM

Please. If you don't have it, you don't have it. I like to tip but I already pay a delivery charge. Tell them to pay their delivery people properly.

by Anonymousreply 54January 18, 2022 10:54 PM

Is the moral of this thread to not place any orders during the pin?

by Anonymousreply 55January 18, 2022 10:55 PM

R50, it's fat chunky straight women like you that don't tip. Quit making excuses. Gay men don't make babies.

by Anonymousreply 56January 18, 2022 11:09 PM

Hungry hungry heifers

by Anonymousreply 57January 18, 2022 11:10 PM

I always tell them I'll tip once I've determined how hot the food is and what it tastes like and ask them to kindly wait on the porch, but they never do, so whose fault is it they don't get a tip?

by Anonymousreply 58January 18, 2022 11:15 PM

[quote] Please. If you don't have it, you don't have it. I like to tip but I already pay a delivery charge.

So you can’t afford to get delivery is what you’re saying. A delivery charge is not a tip, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 59January 18, 2022 11:26 PM

Short answer - be a decent person. People work hard to bring food to you. It's not their fault that the companies are shit. If you can afford to sit on your ass and have someone bring food to you, you can afford to be a decent human and help them. If you don't want to tip, work to force the shitty companies to pay decent wages.

by Anonymousreply 60January 19, 2022 12:30 AM

R54 you can’t be lazily complacent. We all know door dash delivery drivers and Amazon drivers, etc are not paid a living wage.

Of course the companies will continue to perpetuate this as long as we, the consumers, tolerate it along with the workers.

It’s up to all of us to demand better in exchange for our patronage and to support companies that pay workers a living wage (even if prices are higher).

by Anonymousreply 61January 19, 2022 12:59 AM

R47, No, I am not. Blocking your deranged ass. Get some help.

by Anonymousreply 62January 19, 2022 1:05 AM

[quote] So you can’t afford to get delivery is what you’re saying. A delivery charge is not a tip, dumbass.

That's right, arrogant moron. Some people do not have the extra money to tip. Everyone works hard for their money. Come down from your entitled Queen Anne wing chair and smell reality.

by Anonymousreply 63January 19, 2022 1:11 AM

Why not just pick it up yourself? I usually tip $5 to the people preparing/packaging the food.

by Anonymousreply 64January 19, 2022 1:13 AM

[quote] Some people do not have the extra money to tip.

If you can’t afford to tip then you should not be getting delivery or eating out. Simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 65January 19, 2022 1:27 AM

If you pay a delivery charge I don't understand why they need a large tip?

I sort of defeats the object.

by Anonymousreply 66January 19, 2022 1:31 AM

I have never in my life paid a servant to deliver food to my house.

I see these servant on tiny bikes and motorscooters risking their life delivering food to overfed lazy people. They negotiate their way dodging traffic and in heavy rain

These servants work in slave-like conditions.

by Anonymousreply 67January 19, 2022 1:36 AM

Delivery people depend on the tips for their primary source of income. Don't order delivery if you do not intend to give a decent tip. I have never given less than a generous tip for home delivery. During lockdown I gave even more whenever I could.

by Anonymousreply 68January 19, 2022 2:23 AM

OP is a very important and affecting post. His points are well made. We need to support people like him.

That said, it's a pity that the onus of a decent salary should fall solely on him and his customers. The companies must give him a living wage. They cannot be left off the hook.

by Anonymousreply 69January 19, 2022 5:40 AM

Don't use a service because you can't tip? LOL! Insane.

The narrow mindedness on this thread is gobsmacking.

Not eveyone is mobile. Not everyone can go outside their budgets.

Tipping is optional. Period.

by Anonymousreply 70January 19, 2022 6:54 AM

So you go eat at restaurants without tipping?

by Anonymousreply 71January 19, 2022 7:11 AM

[quote] OP, I am sorry. I must admit I have not been tipping my Uber Eats drivers. I thought that was what the delivery fee was for?

You can’t be that stupid. Why do you think the app asks for a tip??!

by Anonymousreply 72January 19, 2022 7:14 AM

R70 = common gutter trash.

by Anonymousreply 73January 19, 2022 7:14 AM

[quote] I have never in my life paid a servant to deliver food to my house.

A servant. Do you ring a bell?

by Anonymousreply 74January 19, 2022 7:15 AM

[quote] Please. If you don't have it, you don't have it. I like to tip but I already pay a delivery charge. Tell them to pay their delivery people properly.

That’s not how society works, shit-for-brains.

by Anonymousreply 75January 19, 2022 7:16 AM

[quote] If Joe Biden had any backbone he would ELIMINATE tipping and compulsory tipping and set a basic wage for all the professions.

That’s not how the government works, dumbass. The president is not a king. It’s up to Congress. Americans sure are dumb.

by Anonymousreply 76January 19, 2022 7:19 AM

[quote] What about buying a loaf of bread at the artisanal bakery and when you check out they give you a range of tips you can leave and the person who put your bread in a bag watches you choose “no tip” and they passive-aggressively point out to you how many points you need before you get your “free loaf of bread, isn’t that great?” in their member rewards program?

Tell us your a faggot without telling us you’re a faggot. Artisanal bakery?! lmfao

by Anonymousreply 77January 19, 2022 7:20 AM

I don't mind tipping the delivery person if the money goes to them, but in the UK I'm already paying around £1 more per dish than their restaurant menu price, plus a service charge for god knows what, plus a delivery fee.

by Anonymousreply 78January 19, 2022 7:23 AM

R71, tipping in a restaurant should always be up to the customer. The menu prices should include a decent wage for wait and kitchen staff, there should not be some bullshit service charge added at the end. Any tips should be a gratuity, not forcibly imposed because the local labour laws are complete shit.

The problem with delivery apps in the UK and US but not by any means everywhere is that they already include a service charge and delivery fee - where exactly are they going. Plus, almost always the app menu prices are higher than the restaurant menu prices.

by Anonymousreply 79January 19, 2022 7:26 AM

If you don't like the Pay rate, then stop working for them. Don't assume you are going to make it on tips alone. If enough of people quit then these services will need to restructure the pay rate to keep their business a float. Buy the way on tipping, why do these fast food places assist on having those tipping for pick up meals? They are being paying minimum wage. Tipping are for those who are waitresses and are being paid at a lower rate. I'm not paying you to walk two steps from the counter.

by Anonymousreply 80January 19, 2022 7:53 AM

I am actively seeking a better job at the moment, but DoorDash helps cover things. I live in a smaller city with many rural areas, so all the restaurants are close together, but deliveries can be up to 15 miles away.

I appreciate all thr the tips I get, since DoorDash's base rate is like $2. I try to work at promo times, so it's base rate plus $2 or $3 more, but without a tip, some deliveries end up being $3 to $4 bucks for like 20 miles round-trip. It's not worth it at all, but my area doesn't have a bunch of orders either, so sometimes you have to take those crap orders.

I know not everyone can tip, but please tip if you can and think about how low the stupid companies pay.

by Anonymousreply 81January 19, 2022 8:28 AM

As a customer, I would be happy to give the delivery person a larger tip, but after higher menu prices, the service charge for no service, and delivery fees, I feel poorer and ripped off.

by Anonymousreply 82January 19, 2022 9:00 AM

I read that if you don't put down a decent tip for instacart, your order will never get picked up. I tip 15-20% and my orders are immediately selected and filled sooner than the deadline time for delivery. I am always asked about replacement items and I get great service because I am a good tipper.

by Anonymousreply 83January 19, 2022 10:02 AM

R21 is just plain wrong. For DoorDash, Instacart, GrubHub and the like, your tips are your pay.

Waitstaff in many states only get something like $2.15 per hour because tips are considered to be their actual salary.

Unless you know otherwise, tips ARE salary.

by Anonymousreply 84January 19, 2022 10:20 AM

r81, part of the problem is that DoorDash charges exorbitant fees. Someone who is sick or really desperate for food tries to get $20 of soup from a local restaurant and ends up paying $40 or more -- the prices are marked up, then there's an $3.99 delivery charge, an $8.50 service charge, plus tip. By the time they get to your tip, they're skimping because they can't afford it. Even though it says all those extra charges aren't a tip and don't go to you, I'm sure many people think you must get minimum wage as an employee anyway, just like a delivery driver who works for Dominos or similar would.

by Anonymousreply 85January 19, 2022 10:25 AM

I find delivery charges so outrageous, I tend to pick up.my own food. However, OP has a valid point and people like R1 are just assholes.

Yes, there are millions of available jobs out there, but as OP highlights, many exploit workers and barely put them ahead.

by Anonymousreply 86January 19, 2022 10:27 AM

The delivery charges do not go to the delivery drivers.

Delivery drivers for these companies do not get minimum wage.

I can't believe so many people on here don't know these things.

by Anonymousreply 87January 19, 2022 10:27 AM

and r82, you addressed the op's statement!

by Anonymousreply 88January 19, 2022 10:29 AM

Better get out there and suck some dick, OP!

by Anonymousreply 89January 19, 2022 10:36 AM

Instead of complaining about people who don't tip because wait staff don't get a wage, why the fuck don't Americans put their energy into protesting against American wait staff not being paid a wage.

by Anonymousreply 90January 19, 2022 10:45 AM

R87, here's the approach in Spain where delivery people are now considered employees (not self-employed freelancers) protected by work contracts and minimum salaries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 19, 2022 10:46 AM

I treat myself to DoorDash on payday. I tip based on the service. So, sometimes I don’t tip. Other times I tip generously.

by Anonymousreply 92January 19, 2022 10:46 AM

Some of you must wait a really long time for your food to be delivered. When I see a $3 - $4 delivery come up that's 12 miles away and will take me 35 minutes, I just laugh and hit the decline button. We know when we're only getting paid the mileage and gas.

On the other hand, I've gotten some very generous tips from people, even additional after I make the delivery. It's usually the ones that have specific instructions like "leave food on chair by door" or "don't ring bell - baby sleeping/dogs will go crazy"

by Anonymousreply 93January 19, 2022 11:22 AM

[quote] tipping in a restaurant should always be up to the customer. The menu prices should include a decent wage for wait and kitchen staff

But they don’t and will not until the government does something. In the meantime, tip.

by Anonymousreply 94January 19, 2022 1:07 PM

[quote] I tip based on the service. So, sometimes I don’t tip.

You’re a low-class scumbag. You always tip.

by Anonymousreply 95January 19, 2022 1:08 PM

[quote] Instead of complaining about people who don't tip because wait staff don't get a wage, why the fuck don't Americans put their energy into protesting against American wait staff not being paid a wage.

We can do both, numb nuts.

by Anonymousreply 96January 19, 2022 1:09 PM

[quote] Someone who is sick or really desperate for food tries to get $20 of soup from a local restaurant and ends up paying $40 or more

People have been sick for centuries and didn’t have the luxury of takeout. They didn’t starve to death because of it. If you can’t pay, don’t order. It’s not in your budget and isn’t for you.

by Anonymousreply 97January 19, 2022 1:10 PM

I never tip over the app. I wait for my driver to arrive and tip based on his level of sexiness.

by Anonymousreply 98January 19, 2022 1:13 PM

Sorry, r95, I am not the scumbag, you are. I’ve received enough poor service from waiters to know that I am not obligated to tip them. I never make special demands, nor am I rude to anyone who waits on me at a restaurant. If the service is good enough, then I will tip.

by Anonymousreply 99January 19, 2022 1:23 PM

R22 I work door dash periodically and I WWed this while laughing out loud. Amen!

by Anonymousreply 100January 19, 2022 1:26 PM

PS, and I have had to deal with shitty DoorDash service as well. UberEats too. I don’t tip them either if I feel like they gave me poor service. I work just as hard for my money as anyone else. So I spend it as I please. This includes tipping or not tipping based on the quality of the service. You’re not entitled to a tip just because you’re a food delivery person or a table waiter. You have to earn that by doing your job and doing it well. That’s as basic as it gets.

by Anonymousreply 101January 19, 2022 1:28 PM

I don't want to pay for delivery, so I don't get it.

That said, if I am reading your rant correctly, you made $63 after expenses to drive food from one place to another for 4 hours. You seem borderline illiterate, so I'm guessing there aren't a lot of jobs you qualify for that pay more than $15.75 an hour, so perhaps you should be content with that. Many people make even less for more demanding work.

by Anonymousreply 102January 19, 2022 1:39 PM

I’m r99, not r100

by Anonymousreply 103January 19, 2022 1:46 PM

[quote] If you can’t afford to tip drivers, do NOT order for delivery

Ok, got that everyone? Stop patronizing the service that pays OP’s rent.

by Anonymousreply 104January 19, 2022 1:51 PM

The delivery people chose a shitty low paying job. Not my problem. Maybe pass that job that doesn’t pay. Stop crying to the public to fix your shitty job. You can make more at McDonald’s, it seems. It’s nuts that the corporate level is taking their tips with all of the service fees. Corporate KNOWS that people see all of the bullshit add in charges, get pissed and then skimp in the tip. I do not like dealing with waitresses. I’m not their temporary husband or father coming in. Go fight with your bosses.

by Anonymousreply 105January 19, 2022 1:57 PM

R105 Why stop there? Hairstylists are the same way.

I'm not your temporary boyfriend. I don't want to tell you what I do for a living, or hear about your kid's recital, or talk about sport-ball. I *do* want to hear about Becky-Ann's dye job and Megan's boyfriend getting arrested at the roller-rink, but please be sure to focus on the hair first. Too many rubes have made mistakes while jabbering on, as if they can't gab and cut at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 106January 19, 2022 2:12 PM

R106 Female here (not a frau). When I go to get my hair done, it runs me around $275 without tip and I am there for 4+ hours. The haircut then grows out in 4 weeks. This is pretty standard for women if you aren’t going to a Superior Cuts. Instagram has allowed hairstylists to run amok with ego, pricing and how much of your time they take. The funny thing is they are all instagram activists who “hate capitalism”.

by Anonymousreply 107January 19, 2022 2:20 PM

R107 Screw those overpriced whores!

$275 plus tip for a simple trim that grows out in four weeks? I swear, women and gays will buy ANYTHING!

by Anonymousreply 108January 19, 2022 2:22 PM

We don't have time to unpack all of r105's issues.

by Anonymousreply 109January 19, 2022 2:22 PM

I can see how some people get confused by the tip. If you order a $12 fast food meal, there is often a $2.99 service fee plus a $3.99 delivery fee. That's an extra 7 bucks added, before you add the tip.

You have to tip well in advance, or no delivery person will decide to take your order. Sometimes, after the person picks up my order it takes 40 minutes for them to bring it five miles to me because they're making three other stops to deliver other people's food. A few weeks back, my order included a cold canned soda. Someone put it in the same bag with my hot food.

But I keep tipping well because I appreciate this service. A few years back, the only places that delivered were pizza places and Chinese food restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 110January 19, 2022 2:23 PM

Why on god's green earth are you at a salon for over 4 hours just for a cut?

by Anonymousreply 111January 19, 2022 2:23 PM

R105, you do know that not all food servers are "waitresses". Some of them are men.

by Anonymousreply 112January 19, 2022 2:25 PM

I barely understand what OP was talking about. Something about being undertipped. OP not only do you not deserve tips you should be fired.

by Anonymousreply 113January 19, 2022 2:26 PM

R113 For your information, OP is a Christian Illiterate, and chooses not to learn how to write.

by Anonymousreply 114January 19, 2022 2:26 PM

[quote]If you order a $12 fast food meal, there is often a $2.99 service fee plus a $3.99 delivery fee. That's an extra 7 bucks added, before you add the tip.

The service fees on DoorDash are anywhere from $4.64 to $8.23 per the last few receipts I just looked at. Delivery fees on top of that were $1.99 or $2.99.

by Anonymousreply 115January 19, 2022 2:28 PM

I am always a generous tipper.

20 percent on Instacart and probably closer to 25-30 on DoorDash.

I mean, they're delivering a $12 in some cases, 20 percent is $2.50. Certainly I can add a buck or two.

by Anonymousreply 116January 19, 2022 2:30 PM

R116 For a $12 order, you can put on your fat pants and Rascal on down to Sonic just like everyone else!

by Anonymousreply 117January 19, 2022 2:31 PM

R117 I don't drive. Which is another reason I always try to be generous.

by Anonymousreply 118January 19, 2022 2:33 PM

R118 So walk! Even Boston Market usually has a bike rack outside. It's where the health department likes to tie off their hazard tape.

by Anonymousreply 119January 19, 2022 2:34 PM

R119 I'm in CA where I would be killed walking on the roads.

You aren't wrong, though. When I lived in Chicago I walked/took the bus or train all the time and never used delivery services. But the layout here + severe asthma + pandemic = delivery services for me.

by Anonymousreply 120January 19, 2022 2:37 PM

I always tip, but I’ve stopped getting deliveries because the fees + tip make it ridiculously expensive. And I’ve been told that (even with me paying 20%-100% more than what I would if I walked in and got take-out) that the delivery arrived also charge the restaurants. Is this true?

by Anonymousreply 121January 19, 2022 2:42 PM

R121 Yes, the services keep about 30 percent of the fees.

I use it for chains, but if it's a local restaurant I try to use their service or order with friends so they can do a pickup.

by Anonymousreply 122January 19, 2022 2:47 PM

R122, wouldn’t that mean they restaurant is netting more when I order delivery, not less? Because they would get nothing if I picked up.

My post at R121 should have read “the delivery SERVICES” also charge the restaurants. I thought they were collecting from me and the restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 123January 19, 2022 3:19 PM

r3, are you joking? Those fees don't include tips.

by Anonymousreply 124January 19, 2022 3:33 PM

Delivering food is not worth it unless the company is supplying the vehicle and gas (they are out there. ) People don't even say thank you in this 0° degree weather.

by Anonymousreply 125January 19, 2022 3:36 PM

R125, I've been doing this awhile. I live simply and don't have debt. Oddly, I love it. Complete freedom. Driving around with the radio on. No "work stress". I pick up high paying orders and do catering. I would never take a no tip order (drivers can tell, and tipping after or with cash is rare). Wear and tear on my vehicle sucks, but it's the exchange I make right now.

by Anonymousreply 126January 19, 2022 3:39 PM

R16, where is that place so I can avoid it? And them having it be all fancy with a tip selection doesn't make them any less tacky. Put a fucking jar there and I'll a buck for you or do they insanely expect me to tip 20% on the fucking bread they packed?

by Anonymousreply 127January 19, 2022 3:40 PM

put a buck

by Anonymousreply 128January 19, 2022 3:40 PM

R128, even a few dollars is better than no tip. It feels horrible to the delivery person and your order might not get picked up because drivers will keep declining it. Food will sit until some poor sap takes it.

by Anonymousreply 129January 19, 2022 3:42 PM

[quote]I would never take a no tip order (drivers can tell, and tipping after or with cash is rare).

How could you tell if it's a no tip order? And I'm one of those rare cash tippers and it's your loss if you don't come because I tip well.

by Anonymousreply 130January 19, 2022 3:43 PM

R3 = typical disingenuous or deeply ignorant CHEAP ASS NASTY CUNT BONE

by Anonymousreply 131January 19, 2022 3:45 PM

R130, I wish there was some way you could let the driver know you'll pay in cash beforehand (you could mark it in notes) but we don't see it until we accept/complete the order. So it would just be a surprise to get your cash. Like 99 out of 100 times it would be no tip instead of cash. DD "hides" tips too so drivers can't cherry pick.

You are a rare and wonderful breed. THANK YOU. Because it's cash, you'll leave the tip field blank in the app so the order pings to drivers looking low, because DD only pays minimal base pay. A no tip order might come in at $5, for 6 miles. A tip order would look like $10 for 6 miles. But that $10 could be more because they hide tips. It's kind of hard to explain. Out of 7,000 deliveries maybe 20 have tipped in cash.

by Anonymousreply 132January 19, 2022 3:49 PM

100% of DL threads on tipping bring out the 33% of tightwads to type:

"I'm not tipping for mediocre or worse service. It's their job! They have a wage! If they want a living wage they can get another job. What's it got to do with me? I don't throw money around, that's why I have it!"

Some of these "cheap" trolls are putting it on, however.

by Anonymousreply 133January 19, 2022 3:57 PM

R132, I specifically tip cash because I want to make sure the driver gets 100%. I deal with so many different deliveries that I never know if the person will actually get it all, that's why I know for sure that they did.

Tips are the only time I still use cash.

by Anonymousreply 134January 19, 2022 4:02 PM

R123 If I order a $30 order and do pickup, the restaurant is keeping $30.

If I order a $30 order and DoorDash, Grub Hub et al deliver it, then those services keep $9 and the restaurant only gets $23 back. So no, the restaurant is not netting more.

by Anonymousreply 135January 19, 2022 4:03 PM

Such an American thread.

by Anonymousreply 136January 19, 2022 4:03 PM

[quote] When I go to get my hair done, it runs me around $275 without tip

Where do you live, Paris? Manhattan?

That's not the going rate most places.

by Anonymousreply 137January 19, 2022 4:04 PM

Thanks for hissing at us, R136.

Hiss.

HISSSSSSSSS!!!!! 🐍

by Anonymousreply 138January 19, 2022 4:05 PM

I just don't feel like any takeout food is worth the incredible price inflation caused by having it delivered. I mean - it's just takeout food. But now it's priced at or near a decent mid-priced restaurant meal.

First the delivery app marks up the cost of the food, then they add the delivery charge, then you add the tip. A friend ordered two pizzas from a local place and after the markup, service fee*, delivery fee, and tip, it was almost a hundred bucks.

*Many local restaurants are now adding an 18-21% "service fee" to their tabs, dine-in or takeout, supposedly to cover the increased costs of higher wages and benefits. The fee is NOT a gratuity, which is still expected.

If I can't pick up some takeout myself, I'll just fix myself a grilled cheese sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 139January 19, 2022 4:14 PM

[quote]DD "hides" tips too so drivers can't cherry pick.

I had no idea, I'd been assuming that the good tips I gave meant people were picking my orders over those without tips.

DD always suggests something dumb like $3.50 but I tip at minimum $7.50, more if it's a larger order. But with all those service and delivery fees I just can't swing it anymore. We're awash in COVID but I just got over it so I figure I'm immune for a little while, I'll do carryout and save $30.

by Anonymousreply 140January 19, 2022 4:15 PM

I remember ordering groceries from Amazon and before the payment went through it asked me how much I wanted to tip my driver. I was so pissed off because, at the time, Jeff Bezos was rich enough to custom make his own dick-shaped rocket to fly into space and I, on a meager salary by comparison, must tip Amazon's delivery man? WTF! Why can't Amazon pay its staff a proper fucking salary where they wouldn't need tips from me?

I selected $0.00.

by Anonymousreply 141January 19, 2022 4:35 PM

Thanks, R134, that’s what I thought. So the services are charge both sides - customer and restaurant. Im amazed that they don’t compete more on price. Their expenses and overhead must be minimal. .

by Anonymousreply 142January 19, 2022 4:36 PM

I would normally agree with you R139 and never used these services before.

But during the pandemic I've had to use them from time to time. Instacart is, I think, a bit better overall, the restaurant apps are definitely a ripoff, but I am glad they exist right now.

But yes, tip in cash when possible.

by Anonymousreply 143January 19, 2022 4:44 PM

R39, Have you heard of Capitalism? It's America's latest fad.

by Anonymousreply 144January 19, 2022 4:51 PM

R63, Logic much? People getting by don't order delivery.

by Anonymousreply 145January 19, 2022 4:55 PM

R63 If you don't have money to tip, you fat whore, don't order delivery.

Don't.

by Anonymousreply 146January 19, 2022 5:00 PM

Fuck that - poor people order delivery and go to "restaurants" and take cars/cabs, all the time. Whether they tip or not... I'm not going to speculate. It is assured UNFUCKED BITTER OLD NASTY RETIRED SHOP BOTTOMS LIVING ON RESTRICTED INCOMES ORDER TAKE OUT AND DO NOT TIP.

by Anonymousreply 147January 19, 2022 5:03 PM

I'm getting hungry reading this thread. Whatever shall I order?

by Anonymousreply 148January 19, 2022 5:54 PM

I'm already tipping 20%, sometimes more, online with Grubhub. And I do pickup orders precisely because anything over that is outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 149January 19, 2022 6:01 PM

If you do pickup orders with Grubhub, who gets the tip? I thought tips went to drivers, but if there's no driver, does it go to restaurant waitstaff?

by Anonymousreply 150January 19, 2022 6:05 PM

Good question. Maybe I'm wrong. Completely at sea as to whether the online tips for these various order services include drivers. But after paying tax and at least 20% in tip online, I'm not paying more on top of that so I've been picking up.

by Anonymousreply 151January 19, 2022 6:17 PM

A disgruntled delivery person comes on here and blames the people who keep him in a job and doesn’t say shit to the corporates who actually could do something. OP, why are you posting here?

by Anonymousreply 152January 19, 2022 6:36 PM

I'll have to speak to my doorman.

by Anonymousreply 153January 19, 2022 6:54 PM

R93, I have been tipping a minimum of $10.00 for DD and any restaurants I go in since the rona started. Even if it is on a $20 tab/order.

I know people are putting up with assholes and crazy behavior. I hope it helps balance out the shit, they are getting.

by Anonymousreply 154January 19, 2022 7:14 PM

Order? Food?

Why not just have Consuela whip something up?

by Anonymousreply 155January 19, 2022 7:47 PM

The best tip I got was some frat boy's cock while he was home on summer vacation. He was my last delivery of the night.

by Anonymousreply 156January 19, 2022 8:43 PM

I live in an upscale area with plenty of older retired folks. If you don't include a tip in your order for Instacart, no worker will take your order. They will wait for a better order with tip, of which there are plenty.

As I said before I tip 15 - 20% so I get my Instacart orders very quickly, long before the due time. Perks of tipping!

by Anonymousreply 157January 19, 2022 8:45 PM

[quote] If you can’t afford to tip drivers, do NOT order for delivery!

I don't like your tone! I want my servants to be servile.

by Anonymousreply 158January 19, 2022 8:56 PM

[quote] Unless you know otherwise, tips ARE salary.

[quote] The delivery charges do not go to the delivery drivers. Delivery drivers for these companies do not get minimum wage

Why should that be the customers' problem?

Anyway I always give tips in cash unless I have no money in the house.

by Anonymousreply 159January 19, 2022 9:16 PM

[quote] they already include a service charge and delivery fee - where exactly are they going. Plus, almost always the app menu prices are higher than the restaurant menu prices.

They go to the company, stupid. How do you think the delivery company makes money? They make money from the fees and also charging higher prices for the menu items. You think the companies are providing this service for you for free??

by Anonymousreply 160January 19, 2022 9:20 PM

[quote] If you do pickup orders with Grubhub, who gets the tip? I thought tips went to drivers, but if there's no driver, does it go to restaurant waitstaff?

No, it does not go to the restaurant wait staff. Grubhub has nothing to do with an individual restaurant’s wait staff. How can it?

by Anonymousreply 161January 19, 2022 9:28 PM

Not only isn't it my problem that service people are underpaid and exploited, it's to my benefit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162January 19, 2022 10:04 PM

[quote]Why should that be the customers' problem?

That's there policy not mine

by Anonymousreply 163January 19, 2022 10:19 PM

[quote]When I go to get my hair done, it runs me around $275 without tip

Don't you know supercuts is only $12.95?

by Anonymousreply 164January 19, 2022 10:20 PM

[quote]You aren't wrong, though. When I lived in Chicago I walked/took the bus or train all the time and never used delivery services. But the layout here + severe asthma + pandemic = delivery services for me.

why are you trying to justify yourself on an anonymous internet forum? tell him to "fuck off"

by Anonymousreply 165January 19, 2022 10:22 PM

[quote] It’s nuts that the corporate level is taking their tips with all of the service fees.

They’re not taking their tips. Fees are fees. Do you think they should charge $0 fees and not make any money at all? It’s not run as a non-profit.

It’s like saying “It’s nuts that the restaurant is taking the waiter’s tips from the menu prices.” No, the menu prices are what makes the restaurant money. It has nothing to do with tips.

by Anonymousreply 166January 19, 2022 10:40 PM

I don't understand why delivery drivers think they deserve a tip based on the price of the food ordered on these apps, though.

by Anonymousreply 167January 19, 2022 10:41 PM

R167 To clarify, I see drivers complaining that someone orders $100 worth of food but only get a $3 tip. Just because the person orders food for that amount, why should the tip be larger? If the bag is the same size for $25 or $50 or $100 food.

by Anonymousreply 168January 19, 2022 10:42 PM

Why on earth should any one be interested in plight of the systemically blocked and exploited underclass. Why I put my pea brain for hoops to justify giving them 1 single dollar and 3 quarters. That's PLENTY! Why should I give more? What's it to me? I put myself through cosmetology college working my ass off. I deserve my money and they aren't getting it. Now get your driver ass up to my 4th floor walkup and make it snappy.

by Anonymousreply 169January 19, 2022 10:46 PM

[quote] I see drivers complaining that someone orders $100 worth of food but only get a $3 tip. Just because the person orders food for that amount, why should the tip be larger? If the bag is the same size for $25 or $50 or $100 food.

The bag is not the same. There would be so many more bags for $100 of food. If you’re doing catering orders and only tipping $3, you don’t know how to be a person.

by Anonymousreply 170January 19, 2022 11:00 PM

I don’t tip at Panera’s. If I have to walk up to order & pay, pick up my food at a counter, refill my own drinks and bus my own table just hell no.

by Anonymousreply 171January 19, 2022 11:15 PM

And no one said you should.

by Anonymousreply 172January 19, 2022 11:18 PM

"Grubhub has nothing to do with an individual restaurant’s wait staff. How can it?"

Grubhub and the restaurant cooperate in many ways - sharing the menu, preparing the food for delivery, coordinating prep times, etc. Why couldn't GrubHub pay tips to the restaurant to compensate their staff who do these things?

by Anonymousreply 173January 19, 2022 11:27 PM

[quote]I don't understand why delivery drivers think they deserve a tip based on the price of the food ordered on these apps, though.

Yeah, I never got that either and I've seen it discussed on reddit. So if I'm ordering an $80 jar of caviar and you deliver it, I should tip you morethan if you were delivering a dozen frozen pizzas?

by Anonymousreply 174January 20, 2022 7:31 AM

So if you order a jar of expensive caviar at a restaurant, don’t you tip the waiter more than if you ordered a dozen pizzas?

by Anonymousreply 175January 20, 2022 7:41 AM

R137 Detroit, believe it or not! Color and cut runs me at least that, without tip. Madness.

by Anonymousreply 176January 20, 2022 8:01 AM

Then don’t tip the stylist. They can’t expect a tip after charging that much. We’re not made of money.

by Anonymousreply 177January 20, 2022 8:10 AM

Instead of tipping just say if you win Powerball the next day you'll split the winnings. Happened for real with story characters played by Nic Cage and Bridget Fonda in old movie.

by Anonymousreply 178January 20, 2022 8:11 AM

Fast food restaurant and delivery jobs are meant to be stop gap jobs. They are not meant to be careers. Why do people think these companies owe them a living wage? Community colleges have certificate programs that are stepping stones to careers. Some can be earned in a year.

by Anonymousreply 179January 20, 2022 8:44 AM

R179 many people don't have what it takes even for community college certificate programs. Work is work and it all deserves a decent wage and dignity. You're a nasty cunt R179. We see you.

by Anonymousreply 180January 20, 2022 8:49 AM

R179 Totally. I used to work in hospitality, specifically fine dining. I made a decent living from it during that time in my life when I was young and had the energy and mental stamina for it. In those environments a 20% is expected, at least, considering standards of service were exceeded. I have since aged out of it and will start down a vocational path of study this summer. I am doing in between jobs right now and one is door dash. It is okay to help make ends meet but I couldn’t pay my bills with just that alone. I also do not expect a 20% tip when I deliver food despite having a hospitality background. After mark-ups and fees the average person doesn’t want to (or can’t) tip 20% on top of that and in this climate I find that understandable. The law of averages usually evens things out in the long run anyhow.

by Anonymousreply 181January 20, 2022 8:59 AM

Tip culture is something I increasingly see as warped after living outside the US for so long. It’s quite masterful actually that big business has conned the general public into subsidising living wages for their employees. Within the general population, it’s turned into some kind of comparative measure of nobility with people feeling self satisfied they are ‘generous tippers’ while others are not. Y’all been had! It also allows people to be tyrannical to staff who may not be performing well due to reasons completely outside they’re control. It can be such an ugly process. It’s all stupid because it’s a shell game. Why not just play a flat price upfront? Anyway, I do of course tip when in the US because I realise the employees are locked into the system. It took me a long time to ween off tipping in other countries where it’s not expected because it was ‘morally ingrained’ in my American programming. Like most US things, tip culture is steadily encroaching here in the UK,. All the major delivery services spam you now to tip both the restaurant and the delivery person even before you get your food.

by Anonymousreply 182January 20, 2022 9:12 AM

Oh dear to myself, there, their and they’re.

by Anonymousreply 183January 20, 2022 9:14 AM

[quote] Why not just play a flat price upfront?

Restaurants who tried that have all failed because people balk at the higher prices.

by Anonymousreply 184January 20, 2022 9:15 AM

[quote]Such an American thread.

It is. Tipping in bars and restaurants where I live is not customary. It's not rare, but it's for a favorite waiter, or the guy who made excellent recommendations or maybe brought you something extra, or for someone who was unusually good. Restaurant staff are paid at least a living wage which is more akin to the average wage than it is in the U.S., and the disparity in wages between a lawyer and a waiter exists but the only thing shocking about it is how comparatively narrow the range of wages for 99% of jobs.

Tipping for people whose only job it is to bring food from a restaurant to your door, whose jobs arose in the lockdown and quarantine periods of Covid seems like it would be more prevalent yet it is more the exception than the rule. Delivery people, however, are protected by work contracts and paid living wages. I always tip, but there are only two apps of the five or six I use that have a provision for including a tip as part of your order; it's simply up to the customer to tip in cash if he wants. Deliverers are always very happy for a tip, whether cash or paid in advance, A couple Euros plus some smaller coins if I have them is my usual tip; if it's cold or wet or the order takes forever to prepare with the deliverer waiting for the restaurant to pass off the order for a long time, I tip more, but the usual couple of Euros is enough to get a very genuine thanks when the tip is the extra rather than the essence of their pay.

Not having a delivery person's or a waiter's or bartender's pay be a prisoner to tips, paying them decently in the first place doesn't make service worse, it makes it better.

The idea of tipping restaurant staff through an app for preparing your order would be laughable here.

by Anonymousreply 185January 20, 2022 9:40 AM

Let me explain the libercuntian / republicunt position:

Service workers are reliant on tips to make a decent wage:

1) I didn't set up that system. Even though it's locked in, the employer should pay them fairly. Thus I don't tip meagerly, if at all.

2) these are little jobs for young folks and people in-between real jobs.

3) many people working service jobs reliant on tips are losers or lazy. Why don't they get A.S. degrees and certificates. Or better jobs. What losers. Why should I pay for them if they aren't going to help themselves?

4) Considering 2 and 3) its perfectly ethical to exploit people because its just a little part time job, its temporary, or they are losers who won't better themselves. It's all their fault. I have a good income Sorry for them. It's American. They had their chance. Bunch of losers.

by Anonymousreply 186January 20, 2022 11:22 AM

No offense, Europeans, but I'm pretty sure the Americans on DL are well-aware of the tipping-no tipping difference between our respective cultures.

by Anonymousreply 187January 20, 2022 2:52 PM

R168 and r178, Although there is undeniable logic to your points, nonetheless the home-delivery system operates like a restaurant, to wit:

It takes a waitperson no more time and entails no more effort to bring you a plate of caviar and truffles than it takes and entails with a platter of Campbell's pork and beans.

But your gratuities will differ, won't they, based on the bill?

by Anonymousreply 188January 20, 2022 3:00 PM

Ordered grub hub today; $45 on McDonald’s, including the 20% tip and delivery charge. 2 orders and they forgot the fries. I text and told them and I haven’t received a response. We can’t afford this.

by Anonymousreply 189January 26, 2022 10:12 PM

[quote] We can’t afford this.

Can you afford to cook for yourself?

by Anonymousreply 190January 26, 2022 10:21 PM

You texted who? The driver? They don’t give a shit you didn’t get your fries, fattie. They’re already on their next delivery. You think they’re going to take personal unpaid time out to go to McDonald’s again to get you fries? And who would pay for those fries?? The driver himself? Hahahahaha.

by Anonymousreply 191January 26, 2022 10:21 PM

I think doordash, uber eats etc. should allow the drivers to rate the customers. If someone is an asshole, reduces the tip etc. then drivers will have the option to not take their order. If you have a bad rating b/c you are a jerk- you will have to tip more as an incentive. And my tipping rule for delivery services is 20% but in no case less than $10. I mean, they are driving TO the place, picking up my food and then driving it to my house.

by Anonymousreply 192January 26, 2022 10:32 PM

Also, the reason why we tip in America is we have laws that allow employers to pay those in the service industry who are paid tips about $3 a hour- and if they don't make any tips, so sorry, so sad. Other positions receive a minimum wage depending on where they live- but around $10 to $15 a hour is minimum. And we all know this, so when we order delivery or go out to eat, to not tip someone is just disgusting and beyond cheap. I wish we would go away with the tipping custom and pay these individuals an actual living wage- but employers lobby against this because they prefer to pay $3 a hour and pass on the compensation to the employees.

by Anonymousreply 193January 26, 2022 10:37 PM

First-World Problems

This decadence is why the Muslims hate us why they and bombed the WTC.

by Anonymousreply 194January 26, 2022 11:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!