Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Indian couples distraught over having to cut wedding guest lists of 600

"Until 28 December, Heena Vashisht was a happy bride-to-be. The 28-year-old was pleased her family had put in place early all the arrangements for her wedding on 10 February, right down to the last candle. But her plans have been shredded by India’s Omicron surge. The nuptials can go ahead in New Delhi as planned, but only if she cuts her guest list down from 650 to 20.

“My own immediate family is 80. How can I reduce the guests to 20? The tension in my family is unbearable right now. No one knows what to do and my mother’s blood pressure has shot up with all the tension,” says Vashisht.

With India’s Omicron-driven third wave firmly under way, the New Delhi government has, along with other restrictions, limited wedding guests to 20, dealing a huge blow to India’s traditional wedding season, which runs from November to March."

Perhaps it's because I'm gay and don't really fetishize huge weddings, but I'm having a hard time feeling sympathy for them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 20, 2022 12:22 AM

First world problems....oh wait.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 11:00 AM

R1 🤭

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 11:02 AM

I suspect they should skip the wedding and just get on with the divorce.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 11:03 AM

But HER MOTHER'S BLOOD PRESSURE!!

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 11:04 AM

I'm sure she's more distraught than he is.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 11:04 AM

Boo fucking hoo

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 11:10 AM

Is having a huge wedding a sign of higher caste in India? I know they are a lot more concerned about things like that.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 11:11 AM

"Heena Vashisht"

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2022 11:13 AM

While half of Indians don't have access to toilets...we get this. India is disgusting, spending money on rockets to Mars (what, so they can dump their garbage there?) while 500 million people are shitting in the open and spreading disease.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2022 11:32 AM

Ha, ha, eat your heart out, bitches...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2022 11:56 AM

Just like the USA, R9. Or have you missed out on what's happening in our cities right now?

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2022 12:06 PM

R7 Not a caste issue really. There's an expectation of a huge and lavish wedding for any family with the means to afford it.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2022 12:11 PM

R11 apples and oranges and you are ridiculous.. 500 million people are shitting in the streets in India. 500 MILLION SOULS SHITTING IN THE STREETS. Imagine the smells! The diseases! What exactly is India's infant mortality rate? It is 30/1000 while in the US it is 5/1000.

You idiot, the US has 500 THOUSAND homeless. To compare 500 million shitting in the streets to 500,000 homeless - you are too stupid to be posting.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2022 12:12 PM

To be fair to r9, it is much, much worse in India. Some pockets of homeless people occasionally shitting in the streets doesn't compare to a third world nation with first world pockets, the massive air pollution, and the actual CULTURAL PRACTICE of a large percentage of Indian citizens peeing and shitting wherever one can, in India.

Also you're doing "Whataboutism" which is a Russian tactic. It doesn't mean that the original point is meaningless just because something else is also a problem, it just seems defensive, if anything.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2022 12:14 PM

Not only do they have huge weddings but they go on for days and days. Just elope .....

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2022 12:22 PM

But how will she explain to her eighty close family members, R15?!

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2022 12:34 PM

I know, right? Mother having life threatening vapors would be enough for me to keep the wedding plans going.

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2022 12:39 PM

Indian Bridezillas must have their epic Bollywood-style weddings, or they are failures in life!

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2022 12:40 PM

I used to work with an Indian woman. She and her husband incurred serious debt by paying for their daughter's wedding.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2022 12:42 PM

This is the UK, the same country that declared COVID over not long ago? Meeting other people is a part of society. I don't want to fully live in a metaverse! To see every get-together as optional and every person as a potential danger will reshape our already fragmented society, and not for the better. I get why she is upset. To all who moan that cruises or parties or the opera is cancelled but who laugh about her should maybe reconsider. What right do I have to tell others what to do? I am responsible. I have no problem with being tested for everything despite being vaccinated. I wear a mask even if I don't strictly have to. I am totally fed up, however, with the government micromanaging and complicating my private life as well as work-life with new guidelines every day. (I live in Europe.)

by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2022 12:57 PM

India's wealth disparity is even worse than the America's, the rich have no concern AT ALL for the poor.

by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2022 1:18 PM

Weddings are a huge deal in any culture. In a country like India, where most people have not much to be happy about, they use weddings as an escape to forget about their poor miserable lives and celebrate. All the planning, preparations, the travel, the focus, the celebrating etc. is about distracting yourself from your own misery for a little while.

People who rely on these kinds of distractions suffer immensely during a pandemic with all the lockdown and crowd control measures.

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2022 2:22 PM

Wrong, r21. Inequality is larger in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2022 2:36 PM

R23 that's not what that means.

The US has higher income inequality because we have more billionaires and people with extreme amounts of wealth compared to the rest of the population.

India has less overall wealth (despite having over double the population) and thus there's less disparity between the top earners and the rest of them, because there aren't as many billionaires and people with extreme amounts of wealth.

There's a lot more poor people in India than the US.

by Anonymousreply 24January 18, 2022 3:21 PM

It amazes me how morally bereft most Indians are. The haves get bent out of shape over the stupidest things while hundreds of millions of their fellow citizens wash their clothes/shit in and drink from the same river.

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2022 3:25 PM

One of the craziest things I've read recently is what The Economist thinks could be the real death rate from covid in India:

" In India, for example, our estimates suggest that perhaps 2.3m people had died from covid-19 by the start of May 2021, compared with about 200,000 official deaths."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2022 3:37 PM

She should just have the bride + groom, their respective parents and have it at that. Their siblings too if that stays under 20.

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2022 3:38 PM

Hurry up and die, [R20].

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2022 5:32 PM

[Quote]India has less overall wealth (despite having over double the population) and thus there's less disparity between the top earners and the rest of them

Yeah, which means India is indeed less unequal, genius.

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2022 5:59 PM

The Bride better be careful, piss off the wrong in-law and she'll end up being burned alive!

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2022 6:01 PM

Serious question: if Indian weddings have so many guests, how do Indian people have time to do anything other than attend weddings?

by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2022 6:03 PM

^ They just put you on hold while they attend weddings

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2022 6:22 PM

India coverage section this week at the Economist. Lots of interesting articles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2022 8:02 PM

Why isn't the administration speaking up about this? Aren't they the defenders of Muslims in China?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2022 8:03 PM

Oh noes! It's a sorry sari world when you have to limit your ostentatious displays of conspicuous consumption. Who will the poors look up to?

Seriously, too many couples spend more time and effort on their damn wedding than on their marriage. Not just in India, but everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2022 8:32 PM

R11 is a fat, closeted desi mama boy yapping from Santa Cruz.

India amongst the most unequal countries in the world, says report

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2022 10:32 PM

Yeah but there are like a billion and a half Indians. So having 600 guests is like have 10 guests in America.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2022 10:35 PM

That's not how that works r37.

by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2022 3:03 AM

I say have at it. I'm exhausted by the efforts to protect the stupid from themselves.

Just like a MAGAt/tRump rally. Go ahead, you've been told.

And don't come crying when the consequences of your idiotic decisions come back and bite you .

Go Fund my ass.

by Anonymousreply 39January 19, 2022 3:22 AM

How can they afford these weddings? Aren’t they a broke ass people? They shit in the streets!

by Anonymousreply 40January 19, 2022 3:44 AM

R28 Wow, for what exactly? They could only admit vaccinated people with a test. What sensible argument is there against this?

by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2022 7:45 AM

So woke. So brave.

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2022 9:13 AM

So only 20 people will get the runs. Sounds good to me!

by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2022 11:44 AM

r38

yes it is

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2022 10:25 PM

I was just reading about an Indian couple having a massive wedding with everyone attending virtually - why can't this couple do that? Have all the presents sent to you, but you don't have to feed anyone, seems like a win-win.

by Anonymousreply 45January 20, 2022 12:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!