Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rumor: Bradley to direct Cabaret remake, eyeing Gaga as lead

I can see this actually working.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173January 22, 2022 2:41 PM

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 9:07 AM

I'm a big Gaga fan. But she can't win by doing this. It's Liza's role. End stop.

Unlike A Star is Born, which is actually perfectly set up to have different version for each new generation, Cabaret is set in stone in terms of time and place. At best, Gaga will just be "doing" Liza. At worst? Career ender.

Again, I am a big Gaga fan. Gaga has a big ol' voice. She needs to put that voice in a brand new musical. One that she would then own. The world would eat that up.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 9:20 AM

It’s going to be set in Italy this time?

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 9:23 AM

Maybe they can update ‘Cabaret’ to ‘Discotheque’ about the rise of Ronald Reagan and the Moral Majority and AIDS. Basically remake ‘The Last Days of Disco’., but with the score to ‘Cabaret’..

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 10:41 AM

I like Lady Gaga but she's too fucking old for Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 12:27 PM

Why is Bradley so into iconic gay movies?

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 12:32 PM

She'd be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 12:33 PM

R2 Yeah, but didn't an endless round of actresses perform as Sally in the revival some years back?

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2022 12:34 PM

His closet glass grows less opaque daily.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2022 12:35 PM

All kinds of NO. Don’t need to see Gaga doing a Liza impression. Watching her horrid tribute to Bowie a few years ago was enough. Also, she cannot dance.

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2022 12:39 PM

Yes because it worked so well with West Side Story. Ansel Egort IS the Emcee. People don’t want to see remakes of movies that are already pretty perfect. And Gaga is too old.

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2022 12:58 PM

She dances 💃🏽 A little like Elaine Benes

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2022 1:01 PM

A little early for April Fools, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2022 1:10 PM

Remember Gaga’s tribute to Bowie while simultaneously doing a Liza impression? Horrible. And don’t forget her Julie andrews impression at the Oscar’s (that Sondheim hated)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2022 1:15 PM

I can't wrap my fucking head around the push, and acceptance of making "Lady Gaga" a Hollywood STAR! She may not be bad, but she's simply showed up to sets and has been awarded and nominated by default.

That Gucci film is so awful, her insanely, stupid "accent" is so bad that it slices through camp into outright embarrassment. And yet, she's praised and celebrated and likely will be awarded for it. For THAT! How the fuck is this happening? All those people who have worked on their acting carers for so many years, their struggle and expense and trying to perfect their trade. And yet a pop star that comes with a couple of million insane fans is enough to entice Hollywood to make her a thing. I just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2022 1:30 PM

iI feel as though the celebs who praise her only praise her because they dont really know too much about her. If they paid closer attention they would know she's kinda a fraud in many ways

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2022 1:52 PM

I really don't understand 90 percent of Gaga's praise.

I have yet to see her do anything that wasn't copied from someone else. Not a single bit of her career. She's a great mimic but that seems to be the sum and end of her talents.

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2022 1:57 PM

R17, Yup. It’s not like she’s devoid of talent or anything but she doesn’t have her own persona whatsoever. I think standards have also become so lowered that when someone can hold a tune they get showered with praise. Gaga is a great example of someone who believes all the hype about herself.

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2022 2:00 PM

I’m sick of this closet queen thinking he the next Vincent Minnelli, and that this stunt cunt is his Liza or Judy.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2022 2:09 PM

What's next for our Bradley? A gladiator movie?

by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2022 2:12 PM

R15 Maybe because what you’re thinking isn’t true. The accent is excellent and she’s powerful in some scenes.

by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2022 2:12 PM

So Hollywood's going to take another example of absolute perfection and turn it into a steaming pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2022 2:13 PM

I could see Andrew Garfield as The Emcee.

by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2022 2:18 PM

Well said r22

by Anonymousreply 24January 18, 2022 2:18 PM

[quote]Sally Bowles is a fictional character created by English-American novelist Christopher Isherwood and based upon 19-year-old cabaret singer Jean Ross.

So, an older, fatter Sally Bowles?

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2022 2:21 PM

Lady Fuckface IS Fraulein Sally Bowels!

by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2022 2:44 PM

Lady Ga Ga is fat now? And as much as I like Liza, although she was younger in Cabaret, she did not *look* that much younger than Lady Ga Ga.

Bradley baby, come out the closet already!

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2022 3:06 PM

[quote]And don’t forget her Julie andrews impression at the Oscar’s (that Sondheim hated)

Who the fuck cares what that mummy thought about an artist performing other artist's work?

[quote]All kinds of NO. Don’t need to see Gaga doing a Liza impression.

Why would she do a Liza impression, she would be playing the character is Sally Bowles, something Liza had no concept of. Liza played Liza, and maybe Cooper would restore "Cabaret" to the musical it was.

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2022 3:47 PM

Why doesn't he remake All That Jazz with himself as Fosse? Now THAT would be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2022 3:50 PM

If his direction of the leaden, drab A Star is Born is indicative of his talents, he ought to stick to acting.

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2022 3:55 PM

I call bullshit on this, it sounds like it was written by a Datalounger

I would love a new Cabaret based off the Mendes revival but they need some little waif like Anna Taylor-Joy in the lead

by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2022 3:58 PM

R28. Lots of people cared very much about what Stephen Sondheim had to say. The Sound of Music was completely wrong for her to sing and she didnt make the song hers at all. She just did a Julie Andrews imitation. The point is that Gaga mimics other artists, her entire career. She has no personality of her own. Even if it were true that “Liza was just doing Liza” in Cabaret, at least it was original and interesting. When David Bowie’s son trashed her Bowie tribute, she said she was hurt by it and she wishes “she could just be me”. Well honey why DON’T you do that, then? Everything is either her doing Madonna, or her doing Grace Jones, or doing some kind of cringey dollar store Warholian “artpop” nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2022 3:58 PM

R15, Gaga is one of the biggest stars on the planet. This is true whether you understand it or not. It just is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2022 5:13 PM

Troll thread. OP in the **Gallup: Americans become more Republican** thread:

[quote][quote] Black people = 13% of the population and have zero impact on the lives of most whites

[quote]They commit the most crimes and turn cities into hellholes. So blacks do impact the lives of whites, right down to abolishing police so they can commit even more crimes.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2022 5:25 PM

Gaga would make a great Elsie.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2022 5:44 PM

GaGa would be a great Frauline Kost. She looks like a cheap whore.

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2022 5:45 PM

Thank you, Inspector Javert @ R34. But does that really mean that this ghastly Italian-American won't be traducing the well-loved movie 'Cabaret' with a tedious, second-hand pointless remake.

Just like the taxpayer-funded British television company spent a million taxpayer-funded dollars in traducing the well-loved movie 'Cabaret' with a tedious, second-hand pointless remake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2022 5:50 PM

I thought this could be a hit because Millennials and GenZers do not watch films made before they born.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2022 5:59 PM

If they remade the film and went back to the original she could play the German landlady who falls in love with the meeskite grocer. She’s no Lotte Lenya but she’s more suitable for that role.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2022 6:09 PM

Everything has been done before R17

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2022 6:10 PM

[quote]Just like the taxpayer-funded British television company spent a million taxpayer-funded dollars in traducing the well-loved movie 'Cabaret' with a tedious, second-hand pointless remake.

Tell me you're a moron without telling me you're a moron

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2022 6:39 PM

Bradley knows he needs Gaga right now - his recent movies are flopping while hers is bucking the trend. She might say yes to him just because he fought for her to be in ASIB.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2022 6:57 PM

"Christopher" should be late 20s (20 years younger than BC is now). "Sally Bowles" should be early 20s at most (15 years younger than LG is now). Liza was in her mid-20s when the movie was made, 10 years younger than LG.

In other words, "Middle Aged Cabaret" is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2022 7:02 PM

I doubt this is true. Bradley is too busy preparing for his Leonard Bernstein biopic where he'll play Bernstein under pounds and pounds of make-up.

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2022 7:20 PM

Don’t forget that our own Miss Glenn Close was 54 when she played Nellie Forbush, a character that was supposed to be in her late teens and naive, in the television version of South Pacific. Now that’s acting!

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2022 7:37 PM

He should do a remake of Rocky Horror with Lady Gaga as FranknFurter - a role she was born to play.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2022 7:41 PM

Agree this movie does not need a remake and she is too old to play the role believably

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2022 7:41 PM

"I ushed to have thish girlfriend known as Elshie

With whom I shared four shordid roomsh in Chelshea..."

I shtill got it!

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2022 7:43 PM

This Gaga-monster is over-exposed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2022 7:49 PM

YES !!!! She will this nail this role. No contemporary of her's is better suited.

by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2022 7:56 PM

[quote] No contemporary of her's is better suited.

Better suited to play a pathetic incompetent cabaret singer who can't get a man..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2022 8:00 PM

R37, WTF does "Italian-American" have to do with it? Liza is 1/2 Italian also.

by Anonymousreply 52January 18, 2022 8:05 PM

Christ, I'd rather see Ariana Grande in the role. You know what'd be funny? If La Bradley was just floating the idea here himself, just to see if it's a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 53January 18, 2022 8:05 PM

[quote] Ga Ga

Gaga

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 18, 2022 8:14 PM

Set it in contemporary America and you have a fascinating history repeating story. But neither of these two hacks would be smart or daring enough to pull that off.

by Anonymousreply 55January 18, 2022 8:15 PM

The original is as close perfect as movies come. So of course let's ruin it.

by Anonymousreply 56January 18, 2022 8:24 PM

Will Bradley appear in the role of Emcee?

by Anonymousreply 57January 18, 2022 8:25 PM

[quote] And don’t forget her Julie andrews impression at the Oscar’s (that Sondheim hated)

???

Why would we care what Sondheim thought about it? He did not compose the song from "The Sound of Music" Gaga sang (in fact, he always heaps scorn on Hammerstein's lyrics for "TSOM"), and although Andrews appeared in one of his reviews, big deal.

by Anonymousreply 58January 18, 2022 8:29 PM

[quote] he always heaps scorn

Sondheim was a chronically depressive, sniping, cynical bitch.

Speilberg had to pay Sondheim $2,000,000 to stop him bitching about the WSS remake.

by Anonymousreply 59January 18, 2022 8:34 PM

According to Bradley Cooper, for this remake there will be scenes in which the dialogue is entirely in German without subtitles.

[quote]Translating German would be disrespectful. I also want the audiences, German-speaking audiences, English-speaking audiences, to sit in the theater together so the English-speaking audiences will suddenly hear laughter coming from pockets of the theater from the German-speaking audience.

by Anonymousreply 60January 18, 2022 8:34 PM

I’d like to see Cabaret done as if by the inmates of a 1970s Turkish prison.

by Anonymousreply 61January 18, 2022 8:45 PM

Are they going to have a gay Cliff this time? Like in "Christopher and His Kind?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 18, 2022 9:12 PM

Patti LuPone *is* Fraulein Schneider.

For the sun will rise and the moon will set and you learn how to settle for what you get!

by Anonymousreply 63January 18, 2022 9:14 PM

Cabaret is Liza, Joel Grey and Bob Fosse and there's no way you can improve on that trio. Impossible.

However, it could make sense to continue the story. Take off where Cabaret ends and show us where Sally Bowles' life takes her.

And rather than creating a new and crappy score, use the catalogue of Kander & Ebb songs from their other shows to create a "new" score. "Dear World", "Mack& Mabel", "The Happy Time" etc and even some of their bombs all have songs that are wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 64January 18, 2022 9:16 PM

Ugh, just NO!

by Anonymousreply 65January 18, 2022 9:19 PM

Madonna would have been better than Gaga in a Cabaret remake if it had been done 30 years ago. Ariana Grande would be better today. Gaga is too old now, and she doesn't have the fragile vulnerability that Liza had in the 1972 original.

by Anonymousreply 66January 18, 2022 9:20 PM

[quote]Will Bradley appear in the role of Emcee?

No - he'll sing Tomorrow Belongs To Me

by Anonymousreply 67January 18, 2022 9:55 PM

R42 House of Gaga made $50M since it opened in late November. That's hardly bucking a trend. Scream made $30M this past weekend and Sing 2 has made $119M in 4 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 68January 18, 2022 10:01 PM

[quote] Rumor: Bradley to direct Cabaret remake, eyeing Gaga as lead

This rumour has no basis in fact.

by Anonymousreply 69January 18, 2022 10:03 PM

[quote]Patti LuPone *is* Fraulein Schneider.

No Fraulein Schneider would be...yawn....Judy Dench.

[quote]I would love a new Cabaret based off the Mendes revival but they need some little waif like Anna Taylor-Joy in the lead

And the world collectively asks who the fuck is Anna Taylor-Joy?

by Anonymousreply 70January 18, 2022 10:08 PM

R70

[quote] Judy Dench.

Judi Dench.

by Anonymousreply 71January 18, 2022 10:09 PM

I WON'T shee it!

by Anonymousreply 72January 18, 2022 10:17 PM

I might actually have enough interest to see this version.

by Anonymousreply 73January 18, 2022 11:20 PM

Bradley reveals his gayness with his film choices. He remakes an iconic gay film like ASIB(Garland and Streisand) and now wants to direct a remake of Cabaret? Both starring gay icon Lady Gaga. He's directing his next film about closeted gay Leonard Bernstein.

These are not the choices of a heterosexual male.

by Anonymousreply 74January 19, 2022 12:03 AM

Lin-Manuel Miranda *is* the Emcee.

by Anonymousreply 75January 19, 2022 12:08 AM

Rumor at the time was both Madonna and Sarah Jessica Parker wanted to replace Natasha Richardson In the revival but lost out to mush mouth Jennifer Jason Leigh.

by Anonymousreply 76January 19, 2022 12:11 AM

Cooper and Gaga should collaborate on something original for her. With her talent, it would be amazing. I don't think it helps her career, in the long run, to become known as the remake Queen.

by Anonymousreply 77January 19, 2022 12:17 AM

I honestly don't think any more musicals are going to be greenlit after the monumental flop that WSS is. For at least another 5 years. Mercifully, this will prevent quasi-octogenarian Glenn Close from doing her dream project.

by Anonymousreply 78January 19, 2022 12:26 AM

[quote]Gaga is too old now

Beanie Feldstein IS Sally Bowles!

by Anonymousreply 79January 19, 2022 12:34 AM

R66, I agree Gaga doesn't have Liza's fragile vulnerability, but you THINK MADONNA DOES??

That's easily to dumbest thing I've ever heard.

If you want a Sally with "fragile vulnerability" you offer fucking a young Madonna? She was hard as steel in her youth. That was part of her charm.

by Anonymousreply 80January 19, 2022 5:47 AM

Madonna is too old to play Fraulein Schneider!

by Anonymousreply 81January 19, 2022 5:48 AM

R68 I know you're just trolling, but Scream is a horror remake. And Sing is an animated sequel.

Oh, Spiderman is also doing better than Gucci. I know, shocking, right?

Comparing Gucci to those movies is just stupid.

Gucci is the most successful R rated drama since 2019 (that isn't a sequel, animated film, horror remake or superhero movie.).

Hate Gaga all you want, but she's clearly doing decent at the BO with her first two leading roles.

by Anonymousreply 82January 19, 2022 5:51 AM

Bradley and Gaga are two of the most talented actors ever. They also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout their lives. Despite that, they have a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay men were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with their struggles and they gays'.

by Anonymousreply 83January 19, 2022 7:18 AM

R68 I thought concert tours made much more money, that does sound slight.

by Anonymousreply 84January 19, 2022 7:28 AM

It should be in German without subtitles!

by Anonymousreply 85January 19, 2022 7:38 AM

I think Rumer Willis should play Sally.

by Anonymousreply 86January 19, 2022 7:41 AM

Miss Piggy should play Sally Bowles, Kermit the Frog should play the Emcee, a full-on Muppet Cabaret!! Now that would be box office Gold!!

by Anonymousreply 87January 19, 2022 7:52 AM

I want to see Scooter as the Emcee.

by Anonymousreply 88January 19, 2022 7:54 AM

Swedish Chef a far more twisted Emcee choice

by Anonymousreply 89January 19, 2022 8:26 AM

Beaker sings “Tomorrow Belongs To Me,” with subtle overtones of genetic engineering to create the perfect Nazi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 19, 2022 8:44 AM

[quote]I can see this actually working.

I can't see this actually happening.

by Anonymousreply 91January 19, 2022 8:47 AM

Are they going to have a gay Cliff this time? Like in "Christopher and His Kind?"

In the Fosse film he tells Sally he's been fucking with Maximilian. I guess he turned out bi.

[quote]And rather than creating a new and crappy score, use the catalogue of Kander & Ebb songs from their other shows to create a "new" score. "Dear World", "Mack& Mabel", "The Happy Time" etc and even some of their bombs all have songs that are wonderful.

Mack and Mabel is JERRY HERMAN!

Friends and family knew Bernstein was bi, although it wasn't spoken about outside of his gay coterie. At the time, it was a professional necessity to remain in the closet publicly. He could have cared less otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 92January 19, 2022 8:52 AM

Mack and Mabel is one of Herman's very best scores, interred in a book that will never work no matter how often it is rewritten.

by Anonymousreply 93January 19, 2022 8:56 AM

[quote]And rather than creating a new and crappy score, use the catalogue of Kander & Ebb songs from their other shows to create a "new" score. "Dear World", "Mack& Mabel", "The Happy Time" etc and even some of their bombs all have songs that are wonderful. And rather than creating a new and crappy score, use the catalogue of Kander & Ebb songs from their other shows to create a "new" score. "Dear World", "Mack& Mabel", "The Happy Time" etc and even some of their bombs all have songs that are wonderful.

[quote] Mack and Mabel is JERRY HERMAN!

"Dear World" is also a great Jerry Herman score with a book that needs work.

by Anonymousreply 94January 19, 2022 9:01 AM

Wow, Bradley goes full frontal in "Nightmare Alley" and nothing?

by Anonymousreply 95January 19, 2022 9:07 AM

It wasn’t nothing! I saw an inch or two.

by Anonymousreply 96January 19, 2022 9:09 AM

Been there, done that.

by Anonymousreply 97January 19, 2022 9:09 AM

R92 Bernstein did some of his best work when he was holding back the Gay.

by Anonymousreply 98January 19, 2022 10:33 AM

"Original" and "GaGa" never belong in the same sentence.

by Anonymousreply 99January 19, 2022 2:04 PM

[quote] Bernstein did some of his best work when he was holding back the Gay.

That was a point in one of John Mulaney's comedy routines. His father apparently tried to nip any of young John's gay-ish tendencies in the bud by pointing out that Bernstein did his best work when he suppressed the Ga/Bi. (It must have worked, because John identifies as straight.)

Wonder if that will be one of the themes of Bradley's movie, and if "holding back the gay to create great art" personally means something to him.

by Anonymousreply 100January 19, 2022 3:40 PM

Kristen Chenoweth said on TV that she's playing the Emcee.

by Anonymousreply 101January 19, 2022 5:25 PM

[quote]Kristen Chenoweth said on TV that she's playing the Emcee.

She also said she's playing Dusty Springfield, Dolly Parton, Tammy Faye Baker, Aimee Semple McPherson and Minnie Mouse, but none of those ever came about.

by Anonymousreply 102January 19, 2022 5:47 PM

R102, But this is real.

by Anonymousreply 103January 19, 2022 6:44 PM

R77/r99, I feel like I’ve solved this enigma called Gaga. She is indeed exactly what r99 describes, but we missed that this is all being driven by her insecurity. She clearly believes she is unoriginal, which is why she keeps returning to the oldies/classics. Think about it, her singing with Tony, and these roles she’s playing, I think deep down she feels like a fraud, and I don’t know if she should feel that way or not. I can almost hear her saying something like: “I totally take inspiration from other artists who I consider to be “the greats” and then I reinterpret the work. So I’m pretty up front about that, that I am inspired by these artists who paved the way for me, I put my work and my process all out there for the world to witness”. Her way of flipping the media the bird, doing it out in the open.

by Anonymousreply 104January 20, 2022 2:27 AM

[quote] Her way of flipping the media the bird

I am 'flipping the bird' in response by refusing to pay a cent for this broad.

by Anonymousreply 105January 20, 2022 2:32 AM

Bradley to direct Gigi remake, eyeing Gaga in lead and himself in Chevalier's role.

by Anonymousreply 106January 20, 2022 2:35 AM

[GROAN] What's next for this dynamic duo? A remake of "Auntie Mame"?

by Anonymousreply 107January 20, 2022 2:39 AM

If Cooper wants to remake all the Gay Diva Icon films, may I suggest "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"?

Finally, a screen role where Madonna could really shine! Let Gaga do a "Funny Girl" revival on Broadway, while he lovingly highlights every pucker on Madonna's facial fillers and tells her that the pills help her performance!

The only difficulty is who to cast as Blanche. It couldn't be a real actress, ideally another has-been pop star, someone like Stevie Nicks...

by Anonymousreply 108January 20, 2022 2:52 AM

Gaga is not all that talented, her voice is not pleasant, she can’t dance, ugly, her music career is pretty much over (has been except when she gets help from others like the more popular Ariana), and her acting is so overrated. HOG was not a hit. It flopped. Her getting praise for that shows just how far HW has fallen when this thing is praised. This is why HW is in a rut and nobody cares about their shitty movies. I don’t know anybody who truly likes her outside a few on DL. She is kinda there. “Oh look that chick who dresses crazy” is what most say. Does she have talent? Sure. Some. J-Lo, though, is far more interesting and yes, talented. J-Lo is a force. People like her.

by Anonymousreply 109January 20, 2022 3:07 AM

Emma Stone was a first-rate Sally on Broadway, but she's too old for the part now. They really ought to go for an unknown as Sally if they must remake this.

by Anonymousreply 110January 20, 2022 3:19 AM

Nobody likes JLo. She's been a joke for years.

by Anonymousreply 111January 20, 2022 3:20 AM

R111 Not so at all. She got more attention at the Inauguration than Fuga.

by Anonymousreply 112January 20, 2022 3:30 AM

BREAKING: Bradley Cooper to direct remake of Lady Sings The Blues starring Lady Gaga as Billie Holiday. Copper will also take on the Billy Dee Williams role.

by Anonymousreply 113January 20, 2022 4:26 AM

Cooper

by Anonymousreply 114January 20, 2022 4:27 AM

BREAKING: Bradley Cooper to direct remake of Flower Drum Song, starring Lady Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 115January 20, 2022 4:33 AM

BREAKING: Bradley Cooper to direct remake of Spice World, starring Lady Gaga as Baby Spice.

by Anonymousreply 116January 20, 2022 4:37 AM

BREAKING: Bradley Cooper to direct remake of Mommie Dearest with Bradley as Joan, Gaga as the adult Christina and Cole Escola as Christina as a child.

by Anonymousreply 117January 20, 2022 4:37 AM

R106, I think Gaga is more suited to playing Aunt Alicia at this point in her career.

by Anonymousreply 118January 20, 2022 4:44 AM

Breaking News: Bradley Cooper to remake Can’t Stop the Music with Lady GaGa taking in the Valerie Perine role with Cooper taking on the duties of the Bruce Jenner role. All living Village People will be reprising playing themselves.

by Anonymousreply 119January 20, 2022 4:45 AM

They need to fix up the plot for a remake.

Sally stars in the first half and then disappears in the second. She's a bad singer who messes up everything.

The earlier film ignored the show's subplot about the old landlady.

by Anonymousreply 120January 20, 2022 4:46 AM

BREAKING: Bradley Cooper to direct remake of The Wiz, starring Lady Gaga as Dorothy with Cooper taking on multiple roles, playing Scarecrow, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, and the Wiz. Gaga will also play all of the Witches. No word yet on who will play Toto.

by Anonymousreply 121January 20, 2022 5:13 AM

I think GaGa is still younger then Ross was when she made it, or at least looks so.

by Anonymousreply 122January 20, 2022 5:30 AM

Ross was 34, Gaga is 35

by Anonymousreply 123January 20, 2022 5:33 AM

[quote]What's next for this dynamic duo? A remake of "Auntie Mame"?

Well... A remake of "Mame" wouldn't be a bad thing, would it? Gaga as Mame, Bradley as Beau, and—oh I don't know—Katy Perry as Vera. And how about that Young Sheldon kid as young Patrick?

by Anonymousreply 124January 20, 2022 5:33 AM

Rumor: Bradley to direct "Riding on the Bus with My Sister" remake, eyeing Gaga in lead

by Anonymousreply 125January 20, 2022 5:35 AM

I was listening to the new Broadway cast recording and I really loved the Edina Monsoon esque take Natasha Richardson had on the part. The greatest take on Sally if you’re not gonna do Liza is low class British faghag.

I could see Juno Temple hitting the role out of the park. I think Gaga is very talented but I don’t think she’d add anything interesting.

by Anonymousreply 126January 20, 2022 5:35 AM

GaGa would be perfect as one of the evil stepsisters in Cinderella, especially in versions where she gets her eyes pecked out at the end.

by Anonymousreply 127January 20, 2022 5:46 AM

Rumor: Bradley to direct Grease remake, eyeing Gaga as Sandy.

by Anonymousreply 128January 20, 2022 5:50 AM

Rumor: Bradley to direct Ken Russell’s Music Lovers remake, eyeing Gaga as Nina and himself as Tchaikovsky.

by Anonymousreply 129January 20, 2022 5:54 AM

Rumour: Bradley to direct Citizen Kane remake, eyeing Gaga as Rosebud.

by Anonymousreply 130January 20, 2022 5:55 AM

Rumor: Bradley to direct Women in Love remake, eyeing Gaga as Gudrun, Ryan Gosling as Gerald, and himself as Rupert. He is looking forward to filming the nude wrestling scene with Gosling.

by Anonymousreply 131January 20, 2022 5:57 AM

Breaking: Bradley Cooper to direct remake of Female Trouble, starring Lady Gaga as Dawn Davenport.

by Anonymousreply 132January 20, 2022 6:17 AM

[quote] Yes because it worked so well with West Side Story.

Gaga has proven to be a box office draw.

by Anonymousreply 133January 20, 2022 6:23 AM

[quote]The earlier film ignored the show's subplot about the old landlady.

It also ignored half the score.

by Anonymousreply 134January 20, 2022 9:59 AM

Fosse didn't base his film on the stage show, he went back to the show's source material, Christopher Isherwood's The Berlin Stories, and based his film on those, incorporating songs from the stage show. He wanted more material for Liza and also included Maybe This Time, which Kander and Ebb had written for Kaye Ballard's nightclub act and had become well known and performed on NY's cabaret circuit.

by Anonymousreply 135January 20, 2022 10:10 AM

Liza had recorded Maybe This Time on one of her solo albums long before the film.

by Anonymousreply 136January 20, 2022 10:19 AM

Gaga is not interesting. She doesn’t have that “it” factor. People know her but she’s not that popular. “Huge star” only so far as people know her. She isn’t beloved. Someone is buying up her nominations, though. Talented? Yeah, so is J-Lo. Gaga looks 10 years older than she is and she’s not in the least attractive. She always has this try hard smug arrogant desperation written all over her face. Her voice is repellent.

I would NOT be surprised at this point if she redid Evita with Cooper as Juan Peron.

by Anonymousreply 137January 20, 2022 10:51 AM

Bradley wants to remake Gone With the Wind with himself as Rhett and Gaga in the dual roles of Aunt Pittypat and Big Sam.

by Anonymousreply 138January 20, 2022 11:51 AM

Bradley Cooper will be bring Diana: The Movie Musical to the screen with Lady GaGa as Diana and himself portraying James Hewitt.

by Anonymousreply 139January 20, 2022 12:11 PM

I don’t believe “Maybe This Time” was written for Kaye Ballard. I think she appropriated it, but it’s hard to believe that K&E wrote this tentative character ballad with a loud, Italian lesbian in mind.

by Anonymousreply 140January 20, 2022 12:20 PM

Kander and Ebb have said in interviews they wrote the song for Ballard as part of her club act. It's well known and easy to verify with a search. Anyone who was around in NY at the time knows it. It became a big hit in the cabaret scene long before it appeared in the film.

by Anonymousreply 141January 20, 2022 12:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 20, 2022 12:52 PM

Why don’t they ever do those multiple recording and release of songs by a bunch of people at the same time like they used to do in the old days, up until the 1970s. I think the last time I remember it happening was the 1980s when both Diamond and Streisand recorded You Don’t Bring Me Flowers, and some enterprising DJ edited them together. You never get someone else on the charts with the same Taylor Swift or Lil Nas X song simultaneously?

by Anonymousreply 143January 20, 2022 12:58 PM

Maybe This Time was written for Ballard and Liza recorded it twice on two separate albums before she sang it in the film.

by Anonymousreply 144January 20, 2022 1:06 PM

[quote] Kander and Ebb have said in interviews they wrote the song for Ballard as part of her club act.

I know they *said* that, but I think Ballard said it first and they just didn’t want to contradict her.

I also heard they wrote it for the stage version of Cabaret and then pulled it from the show when Liza wasn’t cast. And also they thought Jill Haworth didn’t have the vocal power to pull it off.

It just seems too innocent of a song for ballsy Kaye to sing.

by Anonymousreply 145January 20, 2022 1:18 PM

Ballard debuted the song in the early sixties. Cabaret the stage show didn't come along until 1966.

You're a troll looking for some drama.

by Anonymousreply 146January 20, 2022 1:23 PM

Breaking: Bradley Cooper to direct remake of The Parent Trap, starring Lady Gaga as the twins!

by Anonymousreply 147January 20, 2022 1:52 PM

[quote]Fosse didn't base his film on the stage show, he went back to the show's source material, Christopher Isherwood's The Berlin Stories, and based his film on those, incorporating songs from the stage show.

Well according to the one sheet (movie poster) ,newspaper ads and on screen credit is...

Based on the Musical Play "Cabaret" Produced on the New York stage by Harold Prince Based on the play by John Van Druten and Stories by Christopher Isherwood.

The movie was based on the musical which was based on the play which was based on the Stories.

by Anonymousreply 148January 20, 2022 2:10 PM

[quote] The movie was based on the musical which was based on the play which was based on the Stories.

But the movie didn’t follow the stage version. They completely deleted the older couple. They had to say it was based on the stage version to use the songs that they did, but the movie took more from the stories than the stage show. It became a story about Sally Bowles rather than a story of people trapped in the rise of fascism.

by Anonymousreply 149January 20, 2022 2:15 PM

My friends know the casting director for Wicked and he said that Gaga really wanted to play Elphaba in the movie, but lost out to Cynthia Erivo. You would be surprised to know how many famous actresses and singers auditioned for that movie. Pretty much half of Hollywood auditioned. Katy Perry did two auditions for Glinda.

by Anonymousreply 150January 20, 2022 3:48 PM

Gaga should be thankful. That Wicked movie is going to be a hot mess unless they get a better director.

by Anonymousreply 151January 20, 2022 4:06 PM

Rumored: Bradley Cooper to direct a musical remake of The Exorcist, starring Lady Gaga. No word yet on whether she will play Regan or Mrs. MacNeil. Word is that Gaga is waiting to see which character gets better songs.

by Anonymousreply 152January 20, 2022 4:23 PM

R143 Because singers these days like to pretend they wrote - at least in part - the shit they sing, and there's no way they'd share credit with another singer

by Anonymousreply 153January 20, 2022 6:06 PM

[quote]Yes because it worked so well with West Side Story. Ansel Egort IS the Emcee. People don’t want to see remakes of movies that are already pretty perfect. And Gaga is too old.

First of all, the new WEST SIDE STORY received great acclaim from most critics and, it seems, from most people who actually saw it, regardless of the fact that it did so poorly at the box office. And second of all, Gaga is 35 and could pass for younger, so I wouldn't say that's too old for Sally Bowles.

If this remake does happen, I wonder if the script will be closer to the original Broadway script or to the almost complete rewrite for the first movie.

by Anonymousreply 154January 20, 2022 6:13 PM

R153 Doesn’t that go back to Streisand and Evergreen, getting her own Oscar despite tweaking a few words or such?

by Anonymousreply 155January 20, 2022 6:21 PM

Paul Williams has stated many times it was her melody but you know better.

by Anonymousreply 156January 20, 2022 6:49 PM

A new remake that's closer to the stage show and the darker Mendes revival could be interesting. Emma Stone was fantastic as Sally on stage and would be the best casting. I don't think she's too old at all. She's still early 30's. I've seen Sallys pushing 40 and that's when it starts getting a little depressing. It's cute if Sally is in her 20's still playing this shitty nightclub and thinking she's going to be a star, but once she hits her 30's or 40's, it becomes really sad.

Sally needs to be sort of funny and amusing and Gaga is neither.

by Anonymousreply 157January 20, 2022 7:11 PM

I don't know, I think it adds to Sally's delusion if she's in her mid-30s but still acting like a young party girl and still hoping to become a movie star (though I don't remember if that character trait is in the original show or just in the movie). Also, if she's in her mid-30s rather than her early 20s, I would say it makes more sense that she would strongly consider marrying Cliff when she gets pregnant. She realizes that's what she SHOULD do, and she backs out of it only because she's unable to break out of her old, well-established habits as a party girl.

by Anonymousreply 158January 20, 2022 7:17 PM

[quote]But the movie didn’t follow the stage version. They completely deleted the older couple.

Fraulein Schneider survived the cut but the role is greatly reduced. The old couple became Fritz and Natalia.

by Anonymousreply 159January 20, 2022 7:19 PM

Chris Colfer has signed on as the "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" boy.

by Anonymousreply 160January 20, 2022 7:21 PM

Chris Colfer isn't a boy anymore.

by Anonymousreply 161January 20, 2022 7:54 PM

R160 = Tell you're an eldergay without saying "I'm an eldergay."

by Anonymousreply 162January 20, 2022 8:02 PM

After reading Colm Toibin’s The Magician I became intrigued by his daughter Erika, who was involved in Cabarets in German and Switzerland that were anti fascist. She was the last of her family to escape Nazi Germany and asked Christopher Isherwood to marry her so she could get British citizenship. He declined, but suggested he ask his friend Auden, which she did and they were married, but barely even lived in the same country at the same time.

I wish someone would expand out and make a film about her along with her brother Klaus who were doing radical theater in Germany leading up to the war. Another daughter of Mann’s was on an ocean liner with her husband that got torpedoed by German U-boats. She saw her husband bobbing in the ocean and go under, but she clung to flotsam for nearly 24 hours and was miraculously rescued just in time, basically what was the climax of Titanic was, which I assume Cameron lifted from her life story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163January 20, 2022 8:14 PM

There is a documentary called "Escape to Life: The Erika and Klaus Mann Story". It's available on Kanopy through my public library; if your library has Kanopy, you can probably get it there. Klaus' memoir "The Turning Point" is also very interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164January 20, 2022 8:53 PM

"Maybe This Time" is a song about a loser.

by Anonymousreply 165January 20, 2022 9:08 PM

Bradley should remake Godspell next, since Daddy Victor was in it years ago.

He can play Jesus and Gaga can play one of the disciples - dressed as street urchins. She can bring her own wardrobe!

by Anonymousreply 166January 20, 2022 9:10 PM

That so-called Lady Gaga woman has the level of integrity as that rich kid named Michael from Minnesota .

Michael had super-wealthy parents who paid to have his face smashed up and internal organs reorganised to transform into something called Natalie and make indescribably loquacious Youtube videos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167January 20, 2022 9:23 PM

R164 That sounds fascinating, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 168January 20, 2022 9:35 PM

Gaga cannot play younger. She looks way older than 35. And she’s fucking ugly.

by Anonymousreply 169January 20, 2022 10:22 PM

How old was Natasha Richardson when she played the role? She seemed like she was close to 40 and everyone seemed to love her in the role.

by Anonymousreply 170January 20, 2022 10:53 PM

Theatre is different to cinema when it comes to casting and age

by Anonymousreply 171January 20, 2022 10:55 PM

[quote]"Maybe This Time" is a song about a loser.

Who this time just might win.

by Anonymousreply 172January 20, 2022 11:04 PM

If he really wanted to make a movie event, he would recast Liza in the remake. A little extra make up, a little CGI, and then……Liza Minnelli IS Sally Bowles….again!!

by Anonymousreply 173January 22, 2022 2:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!