Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Private Function (1984)

Why is this movie not in the Criterion Collection?!

It is a hilariously quiet satire about British culture. I love this movie!

Directed by Malcolm Mowbray.

Written by Alan Bennett.

Produced by George Harrison.

Music by John Du Prez.

Starring: Michael Palin, Maggie Smith, Richard Griffiths, Jim Normington, Liz Smith, Jim Carter, Pete Postlethwaite, Bill Paterson, Tony Haygarth, and the great Denholm Elliott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2022 5:14 AM

You're welcome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 4:22 AM

I remember it was very funny. One line in particular, after things go right for Michael Palin, Maggie Smith as his wife turns to him and says something in a rather crisp way "That calls for sexual intercourse".

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 4:26 AM

Hilarious film. Long overdue on Blu Ray. I can only assume that it is in need of restoration as most films made by HandMade Films have received a Blu Ray release.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 4:29 AM

"I think sexual intercourse is in order, Gilbert".

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 4:31 AM

How about this one? Johnny Depp naked and Rob Murrow! Come on!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 4:34 AM

George Harrison's partner in Handmade Films, Denis O'Brien, ripped him off.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 4:44 AM

R5 go away

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 4:49 AM

So much to love about this film. Maggie Smith is just hilarious in it: no one can do pretentiousness better than she can (even though in circumstances this character could not be more different than either Jean Brodie or the Dowager Countess of Grantham).

It is also hilariously disgusting.

Pauline Kael compared it in spirit to [italic]Volpone,[/italic] and I don't think she's wrong.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2022 4:56 AM

Oooh! Is that the one with the pig?

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2022 5:27 AM

R8! Smith steals the show. She plays pretentious but also very practical. Her and Michael Palin play well off of each other.

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2022 1:30 PM

R9 Yes. This movie was even referenced by Peggy in King of the Hill as "that famous movie"

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2022 1:40 PM

Still hilarious today!

by Anonymousreply 12April 25, 2022 8:29 PM

Love Maggie in this "I ma carrying you Gilbert."

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2022 3:34 PM

Maggie is great! Her best performance

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2022 4:46 AM

(Seventy-four)

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2022 5:01 AM

Did any of you see the musical version, Betty Blue Eyes? The recent "Julia Child," Sarah Lancashire, played the Maggie Smith role.

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2022 5:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!