Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Omg the most embarrassing thing just happened to me…

So my uncles business closed down for a few months because people were getting very sick again, so he’s been home with his mother (my Grandma) who lives with him, and now my other uncle who is a drug addict and alcoholic moved in with them too. He’s out of work and collecting unemployment but for some reason he was having issues with them and he wasn’t receiving his money. On top of that, he tried getting an EBT card and for some reason they denied him. So my father decided to apply (knowing he would get denied) just to show them he tried because they keep bitching how no one will help and they’re struggling (not true though, my father is paying some of their bills to help and I sent some money more than once). I decided to do what my father did, just apply knowing you will get denied just to say “look, I tried, not my fault”.

Today I get home from work and my doorman says to me “You have mail sitting by the mailbox that ended up in someone else’s mailbox. They gave it to us so we left it there so when you arrive it’s there for you”. I walk over to the mailbox and see it’s a fucking letter from SNAP!!!! And on the envelope it says SNAP by the address!!!! Are you kidding me?! I live in a doorman building and pay a shit ton for my small apartment only for them to think I’m on EBT?!!!!

He asked me if it’s mine and I said yes, thank you then walked away toward the elevator fast.

I signed up knowing I would get denied (and I did for making far too much) and not even for myself and i still ended up embarrassed!

I’ve never had my mail end up in someone else’s mailbox (although others do end up in mine) but now the mailman makes an error? I’m so mad.

by Anonymousreply 57January 18, 2022 1:30 PM

[quote]And on the envelope it says SNAP by the address!!!!

Um, no, it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2022 7:36 PM

OP, thing about matters like this as RuPaul does, who says, “What other people think of me is none of my business.”

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2022 7:38 PM

R1 ummm yes it does. Don’t comment without knowing. Jesus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2022 7:39 PM

You poor thing. Your life is over.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2022 7:40 PM

Well, mine arrived last week in a non-descript envelope the SNAP representative said they used to prevent theft.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2022 7:41 PM

Your father applying makes no sense to me. You applying makes no sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2022 7:43 PM

You are going to have to move.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2022 7:44 PM

R6 if we somehow got approved we would let them use the card.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2022 7:45 PM

Wow. Same shit happened to me. I would blush, but....

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2022 7:45 PM

Face it, OP is a criminal.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2022 7:48 PM

In NY you can get EBT regardless of your net worth. Only income counts. It says so right on their website. In practice, if you are very wealthy you probably have investments throwing off income. But there are plenty of people who are just so-so wealthy with retirement savings shielded in IRAs (so returns, dividends, interest, etc. not counted as income) and who have significant equity in properties they own.

[quote] What if I have savings?

[quote] Most households applying for SNAP no longer have to pass a savings/resource test in order to get SNAP benefits. This means that the household's assets (stocks, savings and retirement accounts, etc.) are not considered when determining eligibility.

Similar for Medicaid, but I think they do, at least technically, have some asset tests. Not sure though. And unemployment counts as income.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2022 7:49 PM

I hope that the doorman pointed out the SNAP return address to each of the other residents of OP's very posh building as they returned and collected their own mail.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2022 7:50 PM

You’re ruined. Doorman gossip amongst each other. No point moving. The new staff will know.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2022 7:52 PM

Ghastly, OP. Just ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 7:53 PM

It sounds ghastly!

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 7:53 PM

SO! My Doorman Thinks I'm On SNAP...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 7:53 PM

Before or after you stepped on the ping pong ball, Gloria?

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 7:56 PM

I swear, everyone in NY, LA, Chicago and Detroit has a crackhead uncle or cousin. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 7:59 PM

My Uncle is an accountant.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 8:00 PM

Who even knows what snap is? You’re fine.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 8:02 PM

R19 3 out of my 4 uncles are successful. Well 2 now that the 1 got laid off for a while.

1 is a coke head and drinker. He doesn’t do heroine or anything but lots and lots of cocaine. Idk how he’s still alive.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 8:02 PM

^^ See??

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2022 8:02 PM

Anyone stupid enough to apply for public assistance benefits just to "prove" something to an addict is too damn stupid to afford to live in a building with a doorman.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2022 8:04 PM

Cliff Notes version, please.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2022 8:14 PM

I know a girl who applied for EBT when she didn't need it......AND THEN SHE DIED!

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2022 8:15 PM

OP Ewwdwin having an obese tik tok obsessed moonfaced jiggly tittied troll for a nephew is even more embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2022 8:18 PM

TL;DR

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2022 8:24 PM

OP = kookoo

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2022 9:00 PM

Why the fuck would you apply for a social program you knew you were going to be turned down for?

To prove to your dirt-bag relatives that....?

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2022 11:18 PM

R29 that there’s nothing else I can do for them.

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2022 11:22 PM

Riding up the elevator, I couldn't help but wonder, if the doorman thinks I'm on SNAP, does that mean he will never want to fuck me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2022 11:28 PM

Today was MLK Day, no mail delivery. So . . ..

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2022 11:39 PM

R32 well i got it today because someone else had it in their mailbox and left it with the doorman who left it by the mailbox. Maybe they just checked their mail today after a few days.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2022 11:43 PM

R33,

On the bright side, OP’s doorman won’t feel bad next Christmas when OP doesn’t give him a card.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2022 12:16 AM

OP won't forget the doorman at Christmas. It won't be the Atlantis cruise the doorman is hoping for, but I'm sure he'll be just as happy with a food gift or a case of baby formula.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2022 12:55 AM

Isn’t this benefit fraud?

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2022 1:08 AM

R36 I was denied so no.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2022 1:14 AM

Gurl, I opened a package a few months ago that had women’s crotch less panties in it. It was intended for my neighbor, but got delivered to my house. I didn’t even look at the name on the package, and opened it. I felt like an idiot bringing it to her house.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2022 1:21 AM

A single man with no dependents stands almost no chance of receiving benefits. Even if he was homeless and living in his car, it's next to impossible for him to qualify. At least that's how it is in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2022 1:51 AM

I’m confused. Your father and you applied for benefits to prove to your two uncles and grandmother that you would be denied. But you were going to let the addict relative use the card that you or your father might have been issued if your claim was successful. AND you used your address? It’s no crime to help someone apply for benefits but this sounds like textbook fraud.

Social embarrassment will seem like a breeze if the Feds come a-knockin’.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2022 2:01 AM

The feds aren’t coming to knock on someone DECLINED.

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2022 2:03 AM

It’s an expression. But I still wouldn’t toy with making fraudulent claims to make a point to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2022 2:05 AM

Don't commit fraud you fool

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2022 2:06 AM

It’s not a fraudulent claim unless you lie. Applying when you are ineligible is not fraud.

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2022 2:07 AM

The claim wasn’t fraudulent. I applied and was honest with all my info. Hence them saying no to me. Who would spend the money is irrelevant during the application process.

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2022 2:07 AM

OP is Hyacinth Bucket

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2022 2:09 AM

The doorman thinks you are poor, how devastating!

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2022 2:11 AM

If you live in such a nice building, help your poor relations buy food instead of waiting for the system to feed them.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2022 2:11 AM

R48 I have. But the pandemic hurt my bank account too. I’m working again but need to take care of myself too.

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2022 2:12 AM

If you are a man without a prison record between the ages18 and 65, you are the undeserving poor.

You will have to work closely with former employers to document unemployment and reasons for termination. Even if their covid response was "steam your N95 masks" and "use clorex wipes!"

"I didn't want to die from covid" was useless last year when I applied. My former employer did not submit any of my records. I didn't get unemployment, food stamps, or rental assistance.

Since I got a job in September, I've paid down 6 months past-due rent. I still have to catch up on the remaining 3 months and it hurts.

My income was 3 grand too high for rental assistance.

by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2022 2:16 AM

The doorman may offer you $10 to give him a blowjob. That's how these things usually play out.

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2022 2:19 AM

There's only one reasonable solution. You will have to take to the rails as a hobo, fleeing your shame, but knowing that sooner or later, in every town, the truth will catch up to you.

SNAP whore!

by Anonymousreply 52January 18, 2022 2:26 AM

[quote]If you live in such a nice building, help your poor relations buy food instead of waiting for the system to feed them.

"The best thing you can do for 'poor' folks is not be one of them." -- My great-grandmother, RIP

That's to say, if you keep spending money on someone, they'll get "comfortable" and eventually "expect it." Next thing you know, when things are tight for YOU and you have to tell them you can't help them for a while until you help yourself, bring on the "you're selfish, heartless" and "how could you?" guilt trips. They've built a sense of entitlement for YOUR hard-earned money before you even realized it. Sometimes, you have to teach people how to help themselves.

by Anonymousreply 53January 18, 2022 2:28 AM

OP- It's not like you got locked out of your apartment COMPLETELY NAKED and the doorman now knows what every square inch of you looks like NAKED.

THAT would be the most embarrassing thing to happen to a person.

by Anonymousreply 54January 18, 2022 2:31 AM

The OP doesn’t think about our tax dollars being used to pay some city employee to review his frivolous application. It’s like calling 911 for no reason. The OP should be fined.

by Anonymousreply 55January 18, 2022 12:34 PM

[quote]So my father decided to apply (knowing he would get denied) just to show them he tried because they keep bitching how no one will help and they’re struggling (not true though, my father is paying some of their bills to help and I sent some money more than once).

They never asked you or your father to get EBT for yourselves. There was no need for either of you to pull your stupid stunt.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you're lying, I absolutely believe you and your father are stupid assholes who thought that showing your poor relatives "hey, look, WE make too much money to get an EBT card for ourselves!" would be a great idea.

You should have used the energy you put into applying for EBT into finding resources to make sure all your relatives could get EBT, since some were turned down.

by Anonymousreply 56January 18, 2022 1:09 PM

This also happened to me.

by Anonymousreply 57January 18, 2022 1:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!