Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Classiest People in Politics

Political views aside, who are the classiest people in politics within the last twenty or so years (2000-2022).

My choices:

David Souter

Christine Lagarde

Condoleezza Rice

Pete Buttigieg

Theresa May

Emmanuel Macron

Donald Rumsfeld

Barack and Michelle Obama

George H.W. and Barbara Bush

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2022 11:19 PM

Laura Bush

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2022 2:45 AM

I am ze klassiest varist letty! Remember to wash poosey and be best!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2022 2:47 AM

It's very classy to take an extended leave of absence from your job during a national crisis.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2022 2:48 AM

Liz Chaney- I may not agree with her politics but she is a true defender of democracy

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2022 2:48 AM

Rolling my eyes at r4.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2022 2:49 AM

Starting fake wars, murdering people is not classy.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2022 2:50 AM

Jimmy Carter owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2022 2:50 AM

R6 Are you referring to Condi or Rummy?

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2022 2:52 AM

there is a certain brand of dignity and proper white northern sensibility of the politicians you listed. You are a terrible judge of character and probably pretty ignorant when it comes to some of the atrocities a few of these names are responsible for.

I know EXACTLY what you're getting at with this list. It's just gross.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2022 3:05 AM

Every Bush is tainted by being a Bush, and therefore part of a dynasty that has done more criminal acts than the Italian mafia could ever dream up.

Dream on, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2022 3:08 AM

I’ve been on this site for a long time but rarely have a seen a post as utterly deranged as the one this OP has stunk up the room with. OP, how can you possibly set politics aside when you consider the disastrous impact the “classy” people on your list have had around the world?

You consider Dubya’s decision to go to war in Iraq classy?

Condi’s making the case to the American people that the war was justified? Was that classy?

Teresa May’s lies and deceit were classy? The Windrush scandal was classy?

David Souter, who served on the Court despite not having the minimum qualifications to be a Supreme Court Justice, was classy?

I’m sorry, OP, but if this is a sincere post then you’re making me sick.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2022 3:08 AM

Hillary Clinton is one of the classiest people I have ever known. She is unfailingly smart, dedicated and gracious.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2022 3:13 AM

R9 What do you mean by "dignity and proper white northern sensibility?"

R10 I will give you the Bushes.

R11 Condi is a classy woman. She is one of the two most intelligent people in politics (the other being Hillary). Condi is a classical pianist, thinks before she speaks, dresses well, and is not condescending to other (that is saying a lot considering she was on The View last month).

David Souter was qualified to be on the Court. He hated Washington, the media, politics, and the new wave of Republicanism. He also loved classic literature, fine wine, classical music/opera, and dresses extremely well for an old man (those three piece suits get me). Souter was a pretty good justice, too.

Donald Rumsfeld always seemed witty, intelligent, and classy to me. He could quote Shakespeare off the top of his head (not easy lines either). For sure he made a ton of mistakes, but Rummy would tell you to stop letting your emotions cloud your judgment.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2022 3:16 AM

[quote] I know EXACTLY what you're getting at with this list. It's just gross.

R9, would you kindly expand further? Do you think OP is trolling?

With sincerity, I would agree with R7 [Jimmy Carter] and add Adam Schiff (see recent thread here on him).

All the others OP has listed (yes, even the Obamas and Pete who seem more about enRICHing themselves than being genuine statesmen), don’t make my list.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 3:17 AM

A little out of the timeframe, but James A. Baker III and Warren M. Christopher should make the list.

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 3:19 AM

OP, some of us designate how classy a person is in part by their choices/actions, and their service to the greater good. The ones who walk the talk.

You seem to place more emphasis on presentation. Presentation, as the last few decades have taught us is exactly that: a facade. Presentation has been paving the road to Hell humanity is currently headed down.

The real deals are few and far between. I also sign onto Jimmy Carter. With classiness comes humility and a good heart IMO.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 3:24 AM

Couldn’t agree more, Cinesnatch.

OP’s list comes across as incredibly superficial (and hence scary).

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 3:26 AM

Nancy Pelosi.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 3:27 AM

R12 Totally agree! Hillary would have made a fantastic President!!!

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 3:27 AM

Big fan of Pete and I do think he's the classiest of all current politicians today but still I am going to FF OP for the putting mass murderer and war criminal Bush and Classy in the same sentence (or any right wing politician in the last 2 decades for that matter).

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 3:28 AM

[quote] Liz Chaney- I may not agree with her politics but she is a true defender of democracy

Neither Liz Cheney nor Adam Kiszinger support voting rights legislation. They are neither champions of the US Constitution nor democracy. They are champions of their own personal goals; which happen to include ridding their party of Trump. No more, no less.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 3:29 AM

Millicent Fenwick.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2022 3:30 AM

I also have my eye on Katie Porter.

She is one to watch.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2022 5:15 AM

That Jacob Moggs guy. And as far as oratory is concerned, Corbyn was more polished than Theresa May.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2022 6:05 AM

Vice President Kamala Harris

Stacy Abrams

Justice Sotomayer

Governor Whitmer of Michigan. Her Lt. Governor, her Secretary of State, and her Attorney General.

AG Shapiro of Pennsylvania ( running for governor)

Amy Klobuchar.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2022 1:17 PM

[quote] Amy Klobuchar.

Not according to her staff.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2022 1:27 PM

OP is referring to how they dress, you know, faggy shit like that.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2022 3:11 PM

[quote] Liz Chaney- I may not agree with her politics but she is a true defender of democracy

Who?

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2022 3:12 PM

Nor Kamala

(Think R25’s list is from someone who doesn’t really know these people but “stans” them)

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2022 3:12 PM

Kamala Harris? Do you know the first thing about her record as a prosecutor? Or the role her affair with Willie Brown played in her climb up the political ladder? Omg, I swear some of you mistake well-tailored clothes or a facility for languages or a degree from a prestigious university etc etc with class.

Class - as if it needed to be said - is about integrity, how you treat others, especially those who have less than you and can’t help your career, compassion for the needy, a desire to do good. So few of the people listed above evinced true consistent class.

Oh, and don’t get me started on Ms. I-never-had-an-underling-undeserving-of-abuse Amy Klobuchar!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2022 4:49 PM

People have already forgotten Michelle's Yellow Mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2022 4:55 PM

WTF was that at R31? LOL!

Maybe it was a fancy dress ball? Mr. Humphries no doubt kindly helped pick it out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2022 10:51 PM

Yeah, the Obamas have definitely gone the ‘ole celebrity route. Whether it’s their daughter interning for Harvey Weinstein, BO having his big birthday party with everyone flying in amidst a Covid spike (“infections be damned”!) or Michelle letting her inner diva come outlet with superficial SJP.

I voted for the man. Twice! But am disappointed with the Nobel Prize pres who talked game but fell through. (As much as I was not in favour of his VP for pres, Biden has made some unpopular and difficult decisions during an extremely challenging period in the history of the USA.)

But yeah, sure. The Obamas looked good (first black pres!) and were great game talkers.

They just did not live up to the hype.

More superficial celebrities. We’ve had enough already of those in this country.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2022 11:05 PM

Patrick Leahy

Jerry Brown

David Cameron

Angela Merkel

Jimmy Carter

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2022 11:12 PM

R31 that was Michelle on her book tour for "Becoming" and she and Gayle King would sit on the stage and have a "conversation" and Gayle helped pick out her wardrobe and advise her for the tour. Gayle thought she should create "excitement." It was garish and clownish and tacky. I went to one of her appearances. Sat near the front, and I have to say. Michelle is a large woman. I'm talking amazon. She is tall, and while she is not fat, she's very solid and she is big boned. She has to be close to 6 feet.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2022 2:10 PM

I've long enjoyed some of the outfits that Ilhan Omar wears, especially when she dons the African head wrap instead of the hijab.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2022 11:21 PM

That’s an oxymoron, OP.

The things you have to do, to get where the aforementioned are, are vile. It’s impossible to be “classy” when you get into the pit.

They’re ALL terrible.

by Anonymousreply 37January 19, 2022 11:25 PM

Souter is a retired SCOTUS justice. Partisan, maybe. Technically, part of the judicial branch, not the legislative branch. "Politics" means, to me, the legislative branch and other elected officials.

by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2022 11:51 PM

R38 Souter was never partisan. He is a Rockefeller Republican in a Trump Republican world.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2022 11:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!