Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Italo Pop

I love Italian pop music but as a non Italian I don’t understand how certain artist and songs resonate in the popular culture:

How should I understand Patty Pravo and Loredena Berte? Do they have any easy analogues in American popular culture? Are they consider serious artists? Or camp figures? Would you consider them in the same vein as someone like Amanda Lear who is roughly contemporary, but sings in English (even though, as I understand, she was a regular fixture in Italian TV)?

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 8:23 PM

I can't answer your questions, OP, but I adore this song:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2022 9:03 PM

R1 Op here. There’s something I really love about the structure of Italian pop songs. The verses kind of meander and are sung/spoken but each subsequent chorus ratchets up the emotion to an almost ludicrous height that is somehow balanced by something genuine in the rough huskiness of the singer’s voice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2022 9:16 PM

[quote]How should I understand Patty Pravo and Loredena Berte? Do they have any easy analogues in American popular culture?

Well, they're gay icons in Italy. And their appeal covers all ages. I really don't think they can be compared with anyone in American culture. Maybe you could compare Berte with someone like Bonnie Tyler? Remember her? That type of singer.

Patti Pravo had a Warhol, Bowie kind of thing going. She had lots of charisma, a real star.

Here she sings of her desire for a threesome (with a woman). A great song, huge hit in Italy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2022 11:56 PM

R3 Are these songs known by everyone in Italy? They don’t have that many views of YouTube, but I can’t tel if that’s because they’re not popular or because they’re from a time before the internet

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2022 12:00 AM

R4 OMG they are iconic songs, played everywhere.

Also Italy had/has so many TV variety programs and so singers get great coverage.

No one tops the UK of course, and Sweden did produce ABBA and so on, but other than that, IMHO no other Euro country can top Italy for its rich history of pop music.

Here's Mina, sort of Italy's Streisand. This classic tune is from 1960. Dig the early 60s euro-beatnik look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2022 12:39 AM

[quote]IMHO no other Euro country can top Italy for its rich history of pop music.

UK. Obv.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2022 12:40 AM

Mina's mega hit "Grande, Grande, Grande".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2022 12:46 AM

R5 are these songs understood only in the context of pop music, or is there a connection to more traditional Italian folk music?

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2022 1:23 AM

R8 Italians were doing pop music a hundred plus years ago. Listen to the great "Canzone Napolitana". Listen to ‘O sole mio" (late 1800s) no wonder it became Elvis' "It's Now or Never". So many of those songs sound like modern pop melodies. There is a strong thread from those Neapolitan songs to a lot of modern Italian music. Of course there has also been great influence from the Anglosphere but there is still a distinct Italian sound.

Anyway listen to some light Italian jazz...one of my favorites, the great Pino Daniele.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2022 2:31 AM

This is a pretty fun song that went viral on tiktok a year or two ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2022 2:33 AM

Yes, sir?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2022 2:35 AM

OP, here's the shortcut. Amazing, in a life changing sort of way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2022 4:40 AM

Boobs boobs boobs, I'm looking for a good time!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2022 6:24 AM

[quote]OP, here's the shortcut. Amazing, in a life changing sort of way.

Another amazing vocal. This time by Mango.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 7:20 PM

La regina

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 7:29 PM

[italic]Drag Race Italia[/italic] had some fun Italo Pop lip syncs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 7:37 PM

I love Italo Pop! But after “I don’t care” their career sorta fizzled.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 8:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!