Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What’s wrong with Liza?

What disease does she have? She’s on CBS Sunday Morning and she’s is shaking while she’s talking to Jane Pauley?

by Anonymousreply 208February 23, 2023 9:52 AM

She's an ageing alcoholic pill-popper?

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2022 2:10 PM

The technical term is a "Boozalicious Lush Who Can't Put Down the Sauce"

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2022 2:11 PM

I'm being serious here... Liza's had work done, obviously. Could it be whatever is afflicting Kristen Davis on the Sex and the City reboot? She'sch got shum schlurring going on too and the only thing Krishtin and Lizscha have in common isch preschumably Doctor Schaffer at Eascht eighty-third and Park.

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2022 2:13 PM

Withdrawalshhh are sho shitty!

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2022 2:17 PM

Why would they even interview Liza? What's she got to say these days? Can you believe I'm still alive?

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2022 2:20 PM

She's gotsh the shakesh.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2022 2:21 PM

She's wealthy and retired.

I doubt she drinks. She's been sober for ages.

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2022 2:23 PM

She's had it since the late 1970s.

It's called the the upperdownercokeandbooze shakes.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2022 2:24 PM

Yeah I think Liza is on the show because she needs a hit of attention, still.

I was just thinking... today's episode features Liza, Tony Dow, eels, antique lightbulb collectors, and Kirsten Dunst. Not their best lineup, honestly.

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2022 2:24 PM

Link below. Bless her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2022 2:26 PM

There is nothing wrong with Liza.

She is a national treasure.

Leave Liza Alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2022 2:34 PM

[quote]Why would they even interview Liza?

Because HER publicist arranged it, probably taking couple of years before getting the time on an old people's Sun morning show.

She shakes like she has Parkinson's, but she's been shaking for decades. Can't walk even with newish hips, still smokes like a chimney, in and out of rehab (I assume booze) for years. Her singing is fucking pathetic and spooky, Feinstein must be telling her she still sounds good. What I noticed last year is that Liza's dropped a lot of weight, which usually means she's in poor health for someone her age. 2022 may be THE YEAR we've been predicting for 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2022 2:35 PM

Why is she always unaccompanied these days?

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2022 2:38 PM

[quote]She's an ageing alcoholic pill-popper?

In these days of opioid overdose and new restrictions, addicted users of any Rx drug have a hard time getting them. The street is the only place unless you're a superstar with endless cash, like the kind of star who can buy themselves a liver instead of waiting on line. Liza is not that kind of star. I think Liza rarely leaves her West Hollywood (?) apartment.

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2022 2:43 PM

My husband and I sat and cracked up during the entire segment. And then at the end we got sad.

It was interesting compare and contrast Tony Dow and Liza. He looked healthy and happy and engaged in life. I got the impression that Liza was trying to breathe life into some long-dead past. At the end of Dow’s segment I commented that he seemed to be living an excellent life, with a lovely devoted wife, in a sunny pleasant place with at least ten more years. At the end of Liza’s, we didn’t think she had much time left at all, she looked so frail.

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2022 2:47 PM

I will admit this... everybody says she's really, really nice and there's never been anything I've read or heard to suggest otherwise. So in a business where damaged psycho seems to be table stakes, good for her.

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2022 2:49 PM

[quote]2022 may be THE YEAR we've been predicting for 10 years.

40 years.

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2022 2:49 PM

I'm willing to bet that the interview Liza gave broadcast today was taped LAST YEAR when she was making appearances for her 75 birthday.

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2022 2:53 PM

R4 Remember when those were funny. They never were.

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2022 2:54 PM

SHBSH Shunday Morning

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2022 3:11 PM

Considering what she’s been through in her life she looks pretty damn good.

by Anonymousreply 21January 16, 2022 3:43 PM

Her mother who died in her late forties was always tremulous

by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2022 3:47 PM

R5 CBS Sunday Morning is hardly a show for club kids. In recent years they've profiled Angie Dickinson and Brenda Vacarro.

by Anonymousreply 23January 16, 2022 3:50 PM

I'm sorry but what has she "been through"? Love her, amazing talent, but she hasn't had non-self induced struggles.

by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2022 3:51 PM

Did Liza mention her shister?

by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2022 4:00 PM

I thought she blew.

by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2022 4:05 PM

"Club Kids?" Is it 1993?

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2022 4:06 PM

R27 ON CBS This Morning it is!

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2022 4:09 PM

[quote]I'm sorry but what has she "been through"? Love her, amazing talent, but she hasn't had non-self induced struggles.

She didn't say they weren't self-induced. I have no idea what her level of self-awareness is when it comes to that.

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2022 4:20 PM

What R8 said.

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2022 4:22 PM

I'm glad she has a drug and booze history. She would have been a total bore if she'd been sober her whole life.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2022 4:25 PM

[quote]I'm sorry but what has she "been through"?

She's been through so much diversity!

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2022 4:48 PM

She looks and has the same tics and tremors, at age 75, that her mom had at age 48. So, I guess that's some kind of win, right?

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2022 5:04 PM

I don't see Liza making it to 80....

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2022 5:10 PM

Liza has outlived Karen Carpenter by 40 years!

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2022 5:34 PM

The fact that she's made it this long is surprising. I've always loved her and she seems like a kind human. In her heyday, no one could deliver a song like Liza. She really was the true definition of an actor who sings. She always brought so much humanity and depth to a song. Not many people are still out there doing that, so when she goes, it really will be the end of an era.

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2022 6:09 PM

I was on an airport bus in Hong Kong in 1997 (the old Kai Tak airport, where passengers were driven out to the plane and ascended stairs to board) and Liza was also onboard with some handlers and was in a wheelchair. She was able to stand up and walk with assisitance and a cane, but needed lots of help going up the airstairs. She seemed SO OLD, and me being relativley young at that point, thought she was!! I did the math recently and she was just 51!!

by Anonymousreply 37January 16, 2022 6:10 PM

Yeah, Liza has some dyskinesia

But she's like a Smithsonian museum for 20th Century culture

No living human has consumed so many drugs

by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2022 6:12 PM

You bitches really think she's sober? She no longer works and is a semi-invalid in her condo in LA. Of course she's drinking here and there.

by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2022 6:15 PM

At this stage of Liza's life addiction is not really relevant

Liza should be given as comfortable as she can be for the time she has left

by Anonymousreply 40January 16, 2022 6:17 PM

I heard from my mother this afternoon. She's the same age as Liza and had Sunday-brunch-before-the-snow-storm with girlfriends today. The FIRST thing out of her mouth was did I see Liza this morning. Granted, she hadn't paid much attention to her for a long time, but she was appalled at how bad Liza looked, sang and acted. I had to listen to this for five minutes before we could talk about normal things.

Sorry, Liza, if you're fool to seek attention like this in the state you're in, people will judge.

by Anonymousreply 41January 16, 2022 6:31 PM

Did Liza talk about how her father Vincente liked to suck cock and take it up the ass?

by Anonymousreply 42January 16, 2022 6:33 PM

R5 Because shes an icon of a bygone era?

by Anonymousreply 43January 16, 2022 6:34 PM

These days she only drinks to be social....and to stop shaking. Looks like they wouldn't let her have any till after taping.

by Anonymousreply 44January 16, 2022 6:37 PM

[quote] everybody says she's really, really nice and there's never been anything I've read or heard to suggest otherwise.

AND excessively needy and childlike, if that's your thing. Like Judy, she probably attached herself to the nearest gay man willing to "take care" of her, then dropped them when a better one came along.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2022 6:38 PM

[quote]I'm sorry but what has she "been through"?

You want to start with having Judy Garland as a parent? Out of the three, Liza was with her the longest and saw a lot of shit.

[quote]AND excessively needy and childlike

Again, how much actual parenting did she have growing up?

Is this still a gay message board?

by Anonymousreply 46January 16, 2022 6:41 PM

I see parallels between her story and Tony Dow's. Both grew up in the spotlight and felt the need at a young age to conform to the public's expectations. (I disagree with the comment upstream that Tony Dow is now "happy".) Liza undoubtedly had it worse, living in the shadow of a famous, self-destructive mother, with the media watching her every step to see if she too would self-destruct.

DL is a fickle place - the same eccentricities and characteristics which make an entertainer notable when they're younger are mocked when they get older. As we know, entertainers are seldom the most stable people. (Cue Britney, Kayne, etc), so the fact Liza made it to 75 is quite an accomplishment. (Unlike her flatmate Elsie: "Well, that's what comes from too much pills and liquor".)

by Anonymousreply 47January 16, 2022 7:21 PM

I love Liza! Seen her perform multiple times and even met her a few times when she lived in NYC. But it was sad to see her this morning. I though she looked like she's on her last legs so to speak. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 48January 16, 2022 7:30 PM

I think she looked and sounded much better than she did on her 75th Birthday. I was so happy to see her but I don't trust Michael Feinstein.

by Anonymousreply 49January 16, 2022 7:45 PM

Could be genetic, Judy was shaking uncontrollably as early as '63 when she sang "Battle Hymn of the Republic" after Kennedy's assassination.

by Anonymousreply 50January 16, 2022 7:48 PM

R46 Seriously. Everyone wants to fight. There is almost zero non-aggressive engagement here.

by Anonymousreply 51January 16, 2022 7:52 PM

[quote]You bitches really think she's sober? She no longer works and is a semi-invalid in her condo in LA. Of course she's drinking here and there.

If I were in her position, I would be drinking too. She can’t really go anywhere or do much, so what harm could it do at this point? Her life expectancy is probably less than five years anyway.

by Anonymousreply 52January 16, 2022 7:52 PM

We've been asking this question for decades.....It's time to stop.

by Anonymousreply 53January 16, 2022 7:55 PM

If you've been paying attention for the past decade, her appearance shouldn't have been that shocking. She seems happy despite the afflictions of ill health and decades of addiction. And, call me a Pollyanna if you want, but, honestly, I thought she sounded decent and even sounded quite nice harmonizing with Michael Feinstein, who I find as dull and milquetoast as they come. At this stage, it is what it is. I just hope she's comfortable and happy in her remaining years.

by Anonymousreply 54January 16, 2022 8:13 PM

How come she never married Feinstein?

by Anonymousreply 55January 16, 2022 8:17 PM

Maybe because he's already married to a guy, R95.

by Anonymousreply 56January 16, 2022 8:18 PM

I think she’ll outlive both Madonna and Celine Dion.

by Anonymousreply 57January 16, 2022 8:19 PM

^^ R55 ^^

by Anonymousreply 58January 16, 2022 8:19 PM

Well, I, for one, thought she looked and sounded pretty spectacular for 75, all things considered. Some of the shakes may have been simply due to nervousness, even though Jane Pauley couldn't have been more gentle.

I was so impressed with all the clips they showed of her early successes. If they were used in a Kennedy Center Honors presentation, there would be no doubt she's deserving. I seriously hope she's honored next year.

by Anonymousreply 59January 16, 2022 8:28 PM

I love Liza and I will love her no matter what.

So there.

by Anonymousreply 60January 16, 2022 8:30 PM

As was pointed out upthread, Liza may be a kook and a pill popper, but I've never read any anecdote that could paint her as unkind — and if there was one, you bitches would be all over it.

She's not really my cup of oolong, but she does seem like a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 61January 16, 2022 8:33 PM

[quote]I think she looked and sounded much better than she did on her 75th Birthday. I was so happy to see her but I don't trust Michael Feinstein.

Feinstein may be her only true friend left. He's willing to play the role one must with OLD Liza. It isn't a fun role, and I can't think of an ulterior motive. Liza is probably totally dependent on him to manage everything in her life including healthcare, finances and "extras" such as what she shouldn't be taking and drinking. You think Feinstein is picking Liza up and putting her on the toilet? She must have a home health aide. Lorna is ill and not available to arrange these things, and Joe, well, he knows how to spell his name. Liza is lucky to have Michael Feinstein.

by Anonymousreply 62January 16, 2022 8:52 PM

[quote]Her life expectancy is probably less than five years anyway.

That's generous. I'd say one or two.

R53, if she wasn't on TV this morning this thread wouldn't exist. Talk to HER about it.

by Anonymousreply 63January 16, 2022 8:55 PM

Most of Liza's friends are dead. I agree she's lucky to have Feinstein. He seems to take care of her very well.

I don't think she and Lorna have really had much to do with each other for quite a long time.

by Anonymousreply 64January 16, 2022 8:56 PM

Is Lorna really ill?

by Anonymousreply 65January 16, 2022 8:57 PM

Lorna has a case of recurring breast cancer metastasized to the brain. Last fall she was in chemo, according to a friendly acquaintance who knows her.

by Anonymousreply 66January 16, 2022 9:02 PM

Parkinson's?

by Anonymousreply 67January 16, 2022 9:07 PM

"I disagree with the comment upstream that Tony Dow is now 'happy'."

Why? He seems in great shape physically, shares his life with someone who loves him dearly, is creating the art he wants to create, and has realized that his past can be dealt with in a positive way. Sometimes a calm demeanor is just a calm demeanor; it doesn't necessarily mean depression.

by Anonymousreply 68January 16, 2022 9:08 PM

It is no longer 1997, much less 1977. You cannot pretend that all American gay men today still know and love Liza Minnelli (much less Judy Garland!) to the degree that they all feel protective of her. She's not released an album or starred in a movie in decades, and so many men posting on DL just do not feel the same way towards her that the boomers among us do. She's more of a curiosity to most younger gay men if they know of her at all.

All of us of whatever age always think our own generation's pop culture obsessions should be obsessions with younger generations, and that's just not how popular culture works. What we're really angry with when we berate other generations for not being interested in our popular culture is that WE no longer feel ourselves the center of the universe any longer.

by Anonymousreply 69January 16, 2022 9:11 PM

Does Liza live in Los Angeles now? I always thought she was a true blue New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 70January 16, 2022 9:22 PM

R70, Liza left New York a few years ago and took Judy with her. The whole family is now in California.

by Anonymousreply 71January 16, 2022 9:28 PM

When I was at F.I.T. my internship was at Halston.

We were invited to a Christmas party at Halstons' scary townhouse. After a few drinks his staircase (no railings) was a nightmare.

Liza showed up with her dancer boyfriend.

She could not have been more lovely. That's how I remember her.

by Anonymousreply 72January 16, 2022 9:36 PM

[quote] Why would they even interview Liza?

Because she's a living LEGEND, that's why. Jane Pauley quite emphasized that: Liza is a LEGEND. That being said, she seems kind of shaky and unwell. I guess that stands to reason. She was a drug addict and alcoholic for many years. It's really surprising that she's still alive. More power to her for still being in the land of the living.

by Anonymousreply 73January 16, 2022 9:50 PM

Liza looks great considering her history of abuse.

Jane Pauley, on the other hand, looks likes a withered granny from Indiana who dresses like shit.

by Anonymousreply 74January 16, 2022 9:50 PM

[quote]I was just thinking... today's episode features Liza, Tony Dow, eels, antique lightbulb collectors, and Kirsten Dunst. Not their best lineup, honestly.

This show rarely had much of a "line up." I used to enjoy watching it but I can't stand it now. The shows are mostly shit. They did a segment not long ago entitled: "Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo: Rock's Romeo and Juliet." Gag.

by Anonymousreply 75January 16, 2022 9:59 PM

Those shakes are indicative of the later life health effects of cocaine use in one's younger days of 20 to 30 years old. I have seen this manifest itself with friends of mine. in their 50s and 60s, Liza was at Studio 7 days a week in its heyday. Michael Feinstein looks damn good for 65!

by Anonymousreply 76January 16, 2022 10:10 PM

[quote]Could be genetic, Judy was shaking uncontrollably as early as '63 when she sang "Battle Hymn of the Republic" after Kennedy's assassination.

Judy was certainly very twitchy, you might even say manic, in terms of her gestures and body language while performing in her later years, but I never saw any film or video of her shaking the way Liza was doing in the CBS Sunday Morning footage. And certainly not in that "Battle Hymn of the Republic" performance. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 16, 2022 10:56 PM

R62 Liza is not an idiot. She is more than capable of making basic decisions.

She had a lot of friends when she lived in NY at her old place. The problem is that she doesn't get to see them as much as she wants to because she's in LA and can't really travel.

Billy Stritch, Jim Caruso, Tony Danza to name a few.

by Anonymousreply 78January 16, 2022 11:05 PM

R77, Kay Thompson modeled the later Judy performance style. The "manic" part was JG's interpretation. It's all affectation/performance, not drug or drink twitches. Liza was shaking as she was being interviewed on a 1997 Rosie O'Donnell show.

R78, no, Liza is not an idiot. But at almost 76, she needs HELP. She cannot walk or take care of herself.

by Anonymousreply 79January 16, 2022 11:31 PM

It's likely Parkinsons.

by Anonymousreply 80January 16, 2022 11:33 PM

I hope she is ok! I would hate to lose her next. She is truly a legend, IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 81January 16, 2022 11:40 PM

She’s obviously had a stroke or two, which isn’t a good combination with substance abuse. She’s just going to be ridiculed if she doesn’t just fade away gracefully

by Anonymousreply 82January 16, 2022 11:44 PM

R82, I don't think it's "obvious" that she's had "a stroke or two." She's been doing that thing where she pronounces "s" as "sh" for decades, so that's not the result of a stroke. I don't know what the shakes are all about.

by Anonymousreply 83January 16, 2022 11:48 PM

Is there video??

by Anonymousreply 84January 16, 2022 11:53 PM

How the hell did Jane get that interview and not the resident gay Mo Rocca?? I wonder if Jane was something Feinstein insisted on.

by Anonymousreply 85January 16, 2022 11:57 PM

When Liza was living on the UES she was registered as a Republican. Well, that's what my Log Cabin friends told me back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 86January 17, 2022 12:09 AM

R86, Liza lived in Joan Crawford House, er, the Imperial House. I don't think she cared about politics as long as she got her dope on time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 17, 2022 12:19 AM

Tony Danza and Liza were friends? Is he family?

by Anonymousreply 88January 17, 2022 12:28 AM

[quote]I don't think it's "obvious" that she's had "a stroke or two." She's been doing that thing where she pronounces "s" as "sh" for decades, so that's not the result of a stroke.

I think Liza confirmed she was treated for Encephalitis back in 2000 which caused her speech impediment. The symptoms are similar to a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 89January 17, 2022 12:28 AM

You answered your own question, r85. Don't think for a second Mo Rocca has any sway or star power compared to Jane's: she is to CBS Morning Show what Iron Man or Captain America are to the Avengers, while Mo is more like Ant-Man or Hawkeye.

by Anonymousreply 90January 17, 2022 12:31 AM

[quote] Is there video??

The CBS Sunday Morning segment is on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 91January 17, 2022 12:32 AM

[quote]Tony Danza and Liza were friends? Is he family?

According to the DL when he had a talk show: YES

According to real life: NO

by Anonymousreply 92January 17, 2022 12:33 AM

Tony Danzha and I are dear dear friendsh... it all goesh back to when we ushed to do linesh together with Halshton on the floor of Shtudio 54!

by Anonymousreply 93January 17, 2022 12:34 AM

Did she know Betsey White, Sidney Pomeroy, Bob Faget?

by Anonymousreply 94January 17, 2022 12:57 AM

I saw the Halston movie on Netflix and according to that, of course it was Halston's story, not Liza's, he was her best friend and she his and in one scene the actress playing Liza has a line that she gives Halston all the credit for the success of Cabaret. It seems she couldn't move well in the original costumes and without anyone, like Fosse, knowing Halston did all her costumes or somehow changed them without anyone noticing.

That's was just the movie making Halston seem like a bigger deal than he was, right? Does anyone know. I was shocked to see in the movie, if true, that near the end, He died of AIDS I think in 1990, his clothes were sold only in JC Penny and he was pretty much broke also that cocaine & Studio 54 was basically his ruination and that Liza was ordered to go to Betty Ford by Liz Taylor and that once she cleaned up she stayed clean.

I guess that Halston movie was pretty much bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 95January 17, 2022 1:15 AM

Is she still selling stretch pants on HSN?

by Anonymousreply 96January 17, 2022 1:16 AM

[quote]Liza was ordered to go to Betty Ford by Liz Taylor and that once she cleaned up she stayed clean.

Liza has relapsed 105 times since her first stint in Betty Ford.

by Anonymousreply 97January 17, 2022 1:21 AM

[quote]Lorna is ill and not available to arrange these things

I was MOLESTED!

by Anonymousreply 98January 17, 2022 1:49 AM

Liza went to Betty Ford during The Rink on the advice of several people, including Chita Rivera. Liza came out and was clean until she did her stint in Victor Victoria when she apparently relapsed at some point. It made the newspapers in NY, as did her feud with co-star Tony Roberts. She had a very rough couple of years there until she met David Gest, who got her sober and looking pretty fantastic. But then the marriage went south, and fell off the wagon. I think it's been on and off since.

Liza tried settling down with Mark Gero at one point and attempted to start a family. Out of all her loves, Gero was the longest (15 years) and the only one she was intent on being domesticated with. But as Lucille Ball famously said, "I love Liza, but you can't domesticate Liza."

by Anonymousreply 99January 17, 2022 2:05 AM

I was very surprised she left to NY for LA.

All of her friends were in Manhattan . Billy Stritch & Jim Caruso were her support system for years.. I wonder how Feinstein got in there.

Liza is still a celebrity in NYC. I doubt many people in LA know who she is.

I wonder if she is in regular touch with Streisand, who has referred to her as her friend several times.

by Anonymousreply 100January 17, 2022 2:25 AM

[quote]I wonder if she is in regular touch with Streisand, who has referred to her as her friend several times.

Of course! The two of them frequently have lunch at the food court in Barbra’s basement shopping mall.

by Anonymousreply 101January 17, 2022 2:37 AM

[quote]Of course! The two of them frequently have lunch at the food court in Barbra’s basement shopping mall.

Hot Dog on a Schhhhtick!

by Anonymousreply 102January 17, 2022 2:55 AM

What did Katharine Hepburn have? She was all tremulous, too.

by Anonymousreply 103January 17, 2022 3:05 AM

[quote]Hot Dog on a Schhhhtick!

Schometimesh we schplit a Schbarro's Pischza!

by Anonymousreply 104January 17, 2022 3:08 AM

It could be a non-essential, or benign tremor. It’s often a hereditary condition. I have it, and it’s annoying as fuck—I’ve got hand tremors but it’s the head shaking that’s the most unsettling. The condition doesn’t progress like Parkinson’s, where breathing and swallowing can be affected. I take a propanol to help combat the symptoms.

Or it could be from drug and alcohol abuse. I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 105January 17, 2022 3:23 AM

What’s wrong with her? She didn’t have the good sense to die at age 27. She’d be legendary if she had.

by Anonymousreply 106January 17, 2022 3:25 AM

[quote] Is she still selling stretch pants on HSN?

Good Lord, no!

She was selling the Liza Minnelli Signature Collection Boyfriend Jacket!

"IT doesn't wear YOU... YOU wear IT!" --Liza

by Anonymousreply 107January 17, 2022 3:26 AM

[quote]She was selling the Liza Minnelli Signature Collection Boyfriend Jacket!

The reviews on the Home Shopping website were a howl. Frau after frau excitedly opening the box, removing the Boyfriend Jacket, and having half the sequins fall back in the box because the thread holding them was so cheap.

by Anonymousreply 108January 17, 2022 3:29 AM

You'd think she was 88.

by Anonymousreply 109January 17, 2022 3:51 AM

r108: But it was PURTY!

by Anonymousreply 110January 17, 2022 3:52 AM

p.s.--r108, you're my mentor [italic]too![/italic]

by Anonymousreply 111January 17, 2022 3:53 AM

She had some health problems in the 1990s but started to improve when she was hit with viral encephalitis, and she has been struggling off and on since. Sometimes she's okay, and sometimes she's a mess. I think she also had a ruptured ulcer a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 112January 17, 2022 3:54 AM

She turns 76 in March and though not in the best of health probably has world class healthcare. For someone who’ has been a lifelong smoker and had issues with drugs and alcohol she looks pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 113January 17, 2022 4:04 AM

R21, what do you mean, "what she's been through"? Her sad condition is the result of CHOICES she made and continues to make, nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 114January 17, 2022 4:19 AM

Here is a woman and entertainer who has done some of the best work in the business. I’m not a fan of her voice or manner of singing-, better in person than on “record”, but Liza With A Z was great TV and Cabaret may be the best movie musical of all time- she’s perfect in it. And her B’way work is some of the best in her era. Yeah she lived a “hard” life: drama, substance abuse, grueling stage work- her shows in her prime included a lot of strenuous dancing dancing- it’s all taken it’s toll on her physical health. So what? She’s fucking 75 and won every major award in show business and grew up in extraordinary circumstances. Holy shit what a life! I’ve “met” her twice and in the half hour I was with her and several others in a small social event, I observed a very low key pleasant and even sweet woman, neither demanding nor phony. I think Streisand and Garland are the supreme multi media talents of the last 100 years, but Liza is right up there-

by Anonymousreply 115January 17, 2022 4:20 AM

Jane Pauley called Charles Aznavour the 'greatest entertainer of the 20th century'.

Charles WHO?

by Anonymousreply 116January 17, 2022 4:20 AM

Yeah Charlie. All of that was 50+ years ago. Or maybe 40 if one is being generous.

Her downhill slide started at least in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 117January 17, 2022 4:22 AM

R108 - that only happened to the jackets made in Bangladesssshhh. Those made in Ssssshhhhri Lanka were of better quality.

by Anonymousreply 118January 17, 2022 4:55 AM

Speaking of The Rink, how old is Rita Guevara now?

by Anonymousreply 119January 17, 2022 4:58 AM

R75 they also did a fairly recent show interviewing the bland Andrew McCarthy

by Anonymousreply 120January 17, 2022 5:00 AM

Liza appeared to be wearing her Elsa Peretti jewelry from the 70s. I guess when she likes something she sticks with it, like her jewelry and her hairstyle.

by Anonymousreply 121January 17, 2022 5:02 AM

Does Liza live in the hills?

by Anonymousreply 122January 17, 2022 5:06 AM

For her HSN vein, she designed jewelry "herself" that was very much in the Elsa Peretti vein.

"I started working with clay..."

by Anonymousreply 123January 17, 2022 6:21 AM

No, r122, I believe she lives in a house.

Her titanium hips can't handle climbing up and down hills anymore.

by Anonymousreply 124January 17, 2022 6:31 AM

Say what you will about Judy, she knew when to leave.

by Anonymousreply 125January 17, 2022 6:55 AM

I love Liza, no matter what 💓

by Anonymousreply 126January 17, 2022 10:53 AM

She’s not going to last much longer. She looks REALLY bad. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 127January 17, 2022 1:15 PM

Light me up Momma!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128January 17, 2022 3:17 PM

I meant does she live in the hills above sunset ?

by Anonymousreply 129January 17, 2022 3:21 PM

[quote][R21], what do you mean, "what she's been through"? Her sad condition is the result of CHOICES she made and continues to make, nothing more.

First of all, you bitch, R21 didn't say that what Liza has been through was NOT largely a result of her own choices and decisions. But also, she certainly wasn't responsible for her childhood experiences as the daughter of a woman who had serious issues in regard to substance abuse, emotional and mental stability, multiple marriages and divorces, money problems, etc. And anyone with a brain and a modicum of empathy should realize that childhood experiences like that can be very formative in a negative way. Now, please shut up.

by Anonymousreply 130January 17, 2022 3:24 PM

Liza needs a good marionetteist to animate her from above.

by Anonymousreply 131January 17, 2022 3:25 PM

[ quote]I wonder if she is in regular touch with Streisand, who has referred to her as her friend several times.

If she considers Streisand a friend, Liza' further gone than I thought. Drinking at noon (or not) and singing around the piano is not something Barbra does. I'll bet she feels sorry for Liza, kind of how Lena Horne gave Judy a little dig when describing Florence Mills in her 1965 book:

"I like to think (Florence Mills) might have been like Judy Garland, a waif they could cry over and pity sometimes, feel a little superior to, but also kindly toward."

[quote]Out of all her loves, Gero was the longest (15 years)

You think they actually lived together all of that time? Please. Liza got all domestic briefly because she was in her mid-thirties and the biological clock was running out. And I don't believe she was ever coke or alcohol free for long, even after re-hab(s).

by Anonymousreply 132January 17, 2022 3:46 PM

It does seem like something other than Parkinson's. I think one of her addictions probably affected her nerve neurons and she's always got The Twitches as a result.

Then again, diet soda can do the same.

by Anonymousreply 133January 17, 2022 3:51 PM

I wonder how many of you here viciously posting about Liza's health conditions are approaching 76?

by Anonymousreply 134January 17, 2022 4:03 PM

[quote]No, [R122], I believe she lives in a house.

R124, Liza lives in an pricey apartment building, not a house. It was discussed here at length after she moved there.

How could Liza live in a house? Would she be mowing the lawn and hiring the contractor to fix the roof? She can barely walk if she can walk at all.

by Anonymousreply 135January 17, 2022 4:46 PM

I wonder why she didn’t stay in New York? She lives in a condo building in LA and probably never goes outside anyway.

by Anonymousreply 136January 17, 2022 4:50 PM

In WeHo?

by Anonymousreply 137January 17, 2022 4:52 PM

Because she wants to die near what's left of her family, R136. Judy's corpse was relocated too. The irony is that demented Joey may be the last one standing in 18 months.

by Anonymousreply 138January 17, 2022 4:53 PM

R135, they were making a joke: "Does she live in the hills?" "No, she lives in a house, she can't climb hills anymore." Get it?

by Anonymousreply 139January 17, 2022 5:00 PM

I thought Liza had a mansion in LA that she let famously abandoned and let fall into disrepair? Her father’s maybe?

by Anonymousreply 140January 17, 2022 5:02 PM

Liza lives at Sierra Towers in West Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 17, 2022 5:09 PM

If she's relapsed, the brew shakes.

If she's sober, could indeed be Parkinson's or years of attempting better living by chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 142January 17, 2022 5:11 PM

Liza's NYC residence was an apartment in Imperial House, on E. 69th St. between Lexington and 3rd Avenues. She lived there from the 1970s until just a few years ago. Joan Crawford also lived there from the 1960s until she died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143January 17, 2022 5:13 PM

[quote]I thought Liza had a mansion in LA that she let famously abandoned and let fall into disrepair? Her father’s maybe?

That was her father Vincente Minnelli's house, and that was a whole saga.

Even though Vincente was gay as a goose, he was married several times. His last wife, Lee Minnelli, was a royal bitch and she and Liza never got along. Regardless, Liza made a deathbed promise to her father that she would take care of Lee and the house after he was gone. Very generous of Liza, because Lee and Vincente had only been married for a few years.

At the time, Lee was pushing 80 and Liza thought she would only have to support her for five or so years until she, too, kicked the bucket. Well, the old bitch ended up living to be 100 years old! The house was a white elephant and a big financial burden but Lee refused to leave and Liza paid for EVERYTHING. Liza tried to get Lee to move to a condo but Lee refused. Liza ended up spending a fortune for 20-plus years on her stepmother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144January 17, 2022 5:20 PM

R140, she doesn't own the house, she sold it while Lee Minnelli still lived there and paid the new owners rent while Lee remained. After Lee died, the owners were free to move in and do what they wanted, but they never did anything, they just left it to the elements.

by Anonymousreply 145January 17, 2022 5:22 PM

Liza should have moved in and installed the old cunt in the pool house.

by Anonymousreply 146January 17, 2022 5:26 PM

I thought the big fight was Liza trying to remove Lee from the house. Bad mistake, Liza, you came out looking like an elder-abusing step child.

by Anonymousreply 147January 17, 2022 5:28 PM

Liza paid for Peter Allen's care when he was sick.

She also made sure to pay off all of Judy's debts, even though she wasn't obligated to.

by Anonymousreply 148January 17, 2022 5:33 PM

[quote] She lives in a condo building in LA and probably never goes outside anyway.

She certainly has to go outside for doctors' visits, and NYC is a terrible city to navigate iof you have mobility issues.

I think she also wants to live closer to where the rest of her family lives.

by Anonymousreply 149January 17, 2022 5:42 PM

[quote]She also made sure to pay off all of Judy's debts, even though she wasn't obligated to.

Sure she was.

by Anonymousreply 150January 17, 2022 5:49 PM

We get it: You hate Liza.

Stop stinking up this thread.

by Anonymousreply 151January 17, 2022 5:50 PM

Doesn’t she have a mobility scooter? Should we start a GoFundMe?

by Anonymousreply 152January 17, 2022 6:02 PM

WE get it, R151? Only speak for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 153January 17, 2022 6:29 PM

[quote]I wonder how many of you here viciously posting about Liza's health conditions are approaching 76?

This is DL, so I'd say pretty much all of them, in addition to those for whom 76 is in the rear-view mirror.

by Anonymousreply 154January 17, 2022 6:37 PM

Is Liza still sucking cock?

by Anonymousreply 155January 17, 2022 7:08 PM

[quote] I wonder how many of you here viciously posting about Liza's health conditions are approaching 76?

Dear Miss Pearl Clutcher -

Many of us have parents or relatives the same age, and they don't twitch and shake like that, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 156January 17, 2022 7:30 PM

[quote] We get it: You hate Liza.

The 🔥 🔥 nellie prisspot brigade is working this thread overtime. I can hear them now........

Hiss. Hissssss.

HISSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!SSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 157January 17, 2022 7:32 PM

Let's be a parody thread!

What's wrong with Lizard?

What's wrong with Pizza?

What's wrong with Eliza Doolittle?

What's wrong with Lisa?

by Anonymousreply 158January 17, 2022 8:21 PM

I wonder why wounded R151 doesn't start an "appreciation" thread.

by Anonymousreply 159January 17, 2022 8:29 PM

I love Liza

by Anonymousreply 160January 17, 2022 8:32 PM

Then get to it R160

by Anonymousreply 161January 17, 2022 8:35 PM

I can't believe Babs has any real friends. She is incapable of caring about anyone other than herself . If Liza or anyone thinks Babs is their friend they are very naive or just plain stupid.

by Anonymousreply 162January 17, 2022 9:28 PM

[quote] Liza paid for Peter Allen's care when he was sick.

Where did you hear that? Why would SHE have to pay for his medical care? Allen was a performer who made a good living. Did he go broke and become destitute? I never heard that.

by Anonymousreply 163January 17, 2022 9:30 PM

Seeing her looking and sounding so elderly was a bit of a shock, I must say. I saw her in Rancho Mirage about 8 years ago and she was fantastic. The voice was pretty much gone but not the razzle dazzle. She could put on a really great show at that point. She could have Parkinsons or as someone mentioned, Essential Tremors. Not fatal, but very irritating. But she's had just about every joint replaced and the substance abuse didn't help. But, I am a Liza Loon and am proud to be one.

by Anonymousreply 164January 17, 2022 10:19 PM

Have we collectively started to petition the Kennedy Center Honors for Liza?

by Anonymousreply 165January 17, 2022 10:21 PM

I'd rather petition Warner Brothers to do a remake of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? with Liza as Jane and Barbra as Blanche. It's their last chance for Oscar glory!

by Anonymousreply 166January 17, 2022 10:37 PM

Barbra can't act. There is no way she can do any kind of movie where she doesn't play herself. Liza once could act but that was before she became "LIZA!" They would massacre that story.

by Anonymousreply 167January 17, 2022 11:28 PM

[quote]They would massacre that story.

With the right director, who knows. But even if they did massacre it, how much fun would that train wreck be to watch!

by Anonymousreply 168January 17, 2022 11:29 PM

[quote] She’s on CBS Sunday Morning and she’s is shaking while she’s talking to Jane Pauley?

She's just trembling before Jane's Hoosier fabulousness.

by Anonymousreply 169January 17, 2022 11:30 PM

Could Liza have played Mame? I guess it's too late now.

by Anonymousreply 170January 17, 2022 11:36 PM

"There'sh a shank-you... you can give life... if you live life... all the way!"

by Anonymousreply 171January 17, 2022 11:40 PM

She really did morph into her mother.

by Anonymousreply 172January 17, 2022 11:41 PM

Hw do we solve a problem like Liza?

by Anonymousreply 173January 17, 2022 11:43 PM

Liza’s just so sincere.

by Anonymousreply 174January 18, 2022 12:13 AM

Who is this thread about?

by Anonymousreply 175January 18, 2022 12:15 AM

Lisa Manelly, show business legend!!!

by Anonymousreply 176January 18, 2022 12:17 AM

R162 = Liza fan gone wild

by Anonymousreply 177January 18, 2022 12:40 AM

Total trivia: Scorsese was widely criticized for making Liza up to look like Judy in parts of New York, New York. Asked about it during an interview, he replied "What can I tell you? You put a period wig on her and she looks like her mother."

by Anonymousreply 178January 18, 2022 12:49 AM

[quote]If she considers Streisand a friend, Liza' further gone than I thought. Drinking at noon (or not) and singing around the piano is not something Barbra does. I'll bet she feels sorry for Liza,

Barbra plays in a shopping mall she built in her basement, and cloned her pet dog.

Let's not draw straws over who should be pitied at this point.

by Anonymousreply 179January 18, 2022 12:50 AM

You put eye shadow on her and she looks like her father.

by Anonymousreply 180January 18, 2022 12:51 AM

How could someone who’s done more drugs than most rock stars be so un-cool?

by Anonymousreply 181January 18, 2022 12:55 AM

Can’t stand her show biz sincerity and earnestness. Her movie work hasn’t aged well.

by Anonymousreply 182January 18, 2022 12:57 AM

First of all, r182 obviously escaped from a looney bin.

B. I think it was the critic John Simon who said she had the looks of Vincente Minnelli and the judgement of Judy. Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 183January 18, 2022 1:02 AM

You put gloves on her and she looks like her godmother.

by Anonymousreply 184January 18, 2022 1:05 AM

Give her a coke spoon and she looks like Halston.

by Anonymousreply 185January 18, 2022 1:13 AM

Reality show- Faye and Liza living together in assisted living

by Anonymousreply 186January 18, 2022 1:25 AM

Who did more drugs in the 70s, Keith Richards or Liza Minnelli?

by Anonymousreply 187January 18, 2022 1:30 AM

Put sunglasses on her and she looks like Michael Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 188January 18, 2022 1:36 AM

(chuckling) Oh, that John Simon was such a [italic]bitch![/italic]

by Anonymousreply 189January 18, 2022 1:43 AM

DL is sick

by Anonymousreply 190January 18, 2022 2:09 AM

Only a slim segment of it, r190.

by Anonymousreply 191January 18, 2022 2:13 AM

I just watched it. Although presenting as somewhat frail and elderly Liza looked and sounded fine. She was far more coherent than she's been in the last ten years actually.

by Anonymousreply 192January 18, 2022 5:49 AM

Why has this become a competition between Liza and Babs? Not only is it ridiculous, Streisand is in better shape at 79 than Liza is at 75. Neither of them is your "friend" except in your teenage fantasies (R162). They're both retired.

by Anonymousreply 193January 18, 2022 12:45 PM

She's just shaking the blues away.

by Anonymousreply 194January 18, 2022 1:34 PM

First of all, [R182] obviously escaped from a looney bin. Just out on a week’s pass. Still saner than Liza.

by Anonymousreply 195January 18, 2022 1:51 PM

R195, have you forgot that you already used the "looney bin" excuse at R183?

by Anonymousreply 196January 18, 2022 3:31 PM

[quote]I think it was the critic John Simon who said she had the looks of Vincente Minnelli and the judgement of Judy.

Still, the work of VIncente, Judy and Liza will be admired for decades to come. If the hackwork of John Simon is ever dredged up, people will merely think him a sociopathic sneering cunt.

by Anonymousreply 197January 18, 2022 6:25 PM

Liza's alive and Yvette Mimieux is dead.

by Anonymousreply 198January 19, 2022 12:18 AM

She's horny. She thought Jane was David or Peter, and she NEEDED them.

by Anonymousreply 199January 19, 2022 1:05 AM

WTF is R69 talking about? I'm 34, and I saw Liza live for the first time in 2006. Nobody showed me, my parents did not listen to her music or watch her films. Yet, i have known about Liza Minnelli since I was a small child, because of TV and the media.

So, it is not how you say it is, R69.

by Anonymousreply 200January 23, 2022 4:39 AM

An Entertainment Lawyer blind item says Liza watched the interview and said it will be her last.

by Anonymousreply 201January 23, 2022 9:15 PM

[quote]An Entertainment Lawyer blind item says Liza watched the interview and said it will be her last.

She won’t remember what she said.

by Anonymousreply 202January 23, 2022 9:58 PM

I really love her. Even now, she still has more spirit and love in her than most people. I always got the feeling that, when she performed a song, she really got into character as a way to understand the human condition and have empathy for another person. She's a much better actress than she gets credit for. Everyone thinks of her as jazz hands and glitter, but she's so much more than that.

by Anonymousreply 203January 23, 2022 10:17 PM

An Entertainment Lawyer blind item says Liza watched the interview and said it will be her last.

Her last because she's at deaths' door or because she's embarrassed by the way she looks/came across?

by Anonymousreply 204January 24, 2022 9:08 AM

I think it's a Joan Crawford thing, R204. Like when Joan saw how she looked in 1974 and then went into hiding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205January 24, 2022 11:52 AM

r204 The implication was she was embarrassed about something.

r203 Me too. I don't care if she indulged, everybody did in those days. Doesn't diminish her talent or her inherent decency.

by Anonymousreply 206January 24, 2022 8:32 PM

Liza looks very frail these days but she's still alive! A small miracle considering what she went through....

by Anonymousreply 207February 23, 2023 7:48 AM

There’s a theatrical and tragic quality to Liza that only gay men can truly appreciate.

I see Liza like a warrior that has braved a lot of extremes in her life and a performer who left her mark, she literally BLEEDS the passion and full range of emotions of her life throughout most of her perfomances- you don’t see this with modern artists- they are carefully orchestrated and promoted. This kind of energy really doesn’t translate well as one ages.

That said, I really would like to see her do a duet with Lady Gaga and maybe a really well written arc of several episodes about Liza by Larry David working with her or as a regular character on Curb Your Enthusiasm, maybe as his new neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 208February 23, 2023 9:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!