Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Woman Dies After Being Pushed Onto Subway Tracks in Times Square

The police said the woman was shoved in front of an R train as it approached a 42nd Street station in Manhattan on Saturday morning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200January 26, 2022 9:10 PM

You're doing a heck of a job, Mayor Adams!

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2022 6:25 PM

Anti-Asian violence.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2022 6:27 PM

r1 why? did he push her onto the tracks?

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2022 6:28 PM

R3 exactly. They (Repugs) just need someone to blame.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2022 6:29 PM

Men are such destructive cunts.

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2022 6:30 PM

If you don’t support Adams you’re a “repug”.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2022 6:31 PM

Why is anti-Asian violence not picked up in the media to any degree? Hmmmmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2022 6:32 PM

R7 it was all over the media most of last year. Where were you?

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2022 6:32 PM

R7 It stopped when they realized it wasn't coming from white men

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2022 6:38 PM

R9 lol exactly

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2022 6:39 PM

Why would anyone choose to keep living in these hellholes?

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2022 6:41 PM

Pusher looks very apologetic about the Asian lady

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2022 6:44 PM

What’s the reasoning for not putting up glass barriers like they do in Asia?

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2022 6:44 PM

[quote] If you don’t support Adams you’re a “repug”.

He’s a Repug.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2022 6:44 PM

A 75 year old Asian woman was attacked on a street in Queens last week. The piece of shit was black but it couldn’t possibly be a hate crime except if the victim was black and the attacker was white. In that case there would be an uprising.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2022 6:50 PM

Oh, and don’t blame the mayor. I’m not a fan but he did inherent this mess.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2022 6:51 PM

Nobody cares. Does anyone still remember Waukesha ?

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2022 6:55 PM

R12 But I thought Blacks were always innocent victims?

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2022 6:55 PM

[quote]If you don’t support Adams you’re a “repug”.

No, but if you decide after 15 days in office that he's responsible for every single crime and every single lunatic in New York you're a fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2022 7:01 PM

Yeah, but the real threat are Karens. Lol

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2022 8:28 PM

R13 Because we live in a bloody Darwinian society where everyone needs the freedom to jump in front of a train to commit suicide, or in this case, push someone else in front of a train for whatever sociopathic reason. Your personal safety is entirely up to you and your luck, and people will forget this subway murder ever even happened when the next death/murder/suicide hits the headline.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2022 10:33 PM

[quote]he did inherent this mess.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2022 10:35 PM

Ages ago, as a lad living in London, I would go on the Underground and stand right at the edge of the platform, waiting for the train. Wouldn't do that now for anything! Not only pushing, but someone could just accidentally knock you off.

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2022 10:36 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2022 10:40 PM

[quote]"People jump when they try to finish their life themselves, it's okay, but to do it this way, it's crazy," subway rider Julia Avramenko said.

So it's entirely okay to jump to commit suicide. Then, New Yorkers will just complain about the inconvenient delay not the death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2022 10:53 PM

Poor woman! What a horrible way to die. Also, I would hate to be the people that have to clean the body off the tracks.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2022 11:05 PM

A push broom and a bucket of water usually handles it.

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2022 11:20 PM

Wasn't someone killed the same way last year?

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2022 11:28 PM

OK, the attacker is mentally ill so it’s looking less and less like a hate crime.

I have no confidence in Adams doing anything about homeless and mentally ill people taking up residence in the subway system.

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2022 11:45 PM

Knock out Game gone horribly wrong.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2022 11:58 PM

R11

…because crime never happens in small towns…

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2022 12:03 AM

R15

Did the attacker say that he hated Asians?

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2022 12:04 AM

There was a video posted yesterday of a white woman verbally attacking an Asian man with racial slurs and the person on here crying didn’t comment on that one at all. Funny, whenever a white person does it that person doesn’t comment. Only when it’s a black person.

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2022 12:07 AM

This could have been an accident. Remember "Sleepers" when the shopping cart fell down the subway steps and hit someone, and they were charged?

Let's not be judging this man.

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2022 12:29 AM

Sure, Rose/R34.

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2022 2:39 AM

They need some signs that say, "Please don't stand next to the tracks".

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2022 3:00 AM

R23 Me, too. On the NYC MTA in the 1980s and 1990s…and I can barely tolerate thinking about what a young idiot I was. I believed I was so solid that someone would need to back up far and run to knock me down and I figured that was unlikely. These days, I lean against the pillar in the center of the platform.

by Anonymousreply 37January 16, 2022 3:02 AM

[quote]When asked if he had killed Michelle Alyssa Go, a 40-year-old Upper West Side resident, Martial copped to the ghastly attack, and claimed he was “God.” “Yeah because I’m God. Yes I did. I’m God, I can do it,” Martial shouted to a gaggle of reporters, adding “she stole my f—ing jacket, that’s why,” when asked about his motive.

R34 Yeah, an accident for sure...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2022 3:36 AM

I've never stood at the edge of the platform for precisely this reason. Always stay back a bit.

by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2022 3:48 AM

I always allow myself some extra safety margin in case I encounter a democratic president

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 16, 2022 4:38 AM

I moved to NYC in '99, right after the infamous Kendra Webdale pushing incident. The tabloids went nuts.

I remember a grizzled old veteran at my first job remarking: "This shit used to happen all the time. You only hear about it now because the city is so safe."

That imprinted on me always to stand against the wall until the train is in the station.

by Anonymousreply 41January 16, 2022 4:46 AM

r41 I remember that poor woman like it was yesterday. Horrible story. I was conscious of where I was standing forevermore after that happened.

by Anonymousreply 42January 16, 2022 4:55 AM

R41 Her murderer Andrew Goldstein has been released from prison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 16, 2022 5:12 AM

There are a lot of these men around Manhattan now, who fit the perp's exact profile—old guys who aren't just begging, they're menacing. And clearly mentally ill.

They seem to like to bother twinks. I saw one cough into the face of some young guy the other day. Right before Christmas I saw another act like he was actually stabbing some kid who was walking up from the subway station. He pushed his fist into his chest.

I am a sad uncle type now who looks as beaten down by life as they, so they leave me alone. (Until, of course, somebody doesn't.)

Adams needs to expand the shelter system and mental health services ASAP, or there are going to be more of these cases.

by Anonymousreply 44January 16, 2022 5:14 AM

Those homeless people are nuts. They are the main reason I carry a weapon.

by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2022 5:53 AM

R44 Shelters won’t do sny good unless the also ban sleeping outside which they won’t because the rights of homeless people to do whatever they want trump the rights of citizens to live in a safe and secure city.

by Anonymousreply 46January 16, 2022 6:04 AM

The severely mentally ill need to be forced to take medication

by Anonymousreply 47January 16, 2022 6:08 AM

R33, the person you are referring to probably didn't even see the earlier thread.

by Anonymousreply 48January 16, 2022 9:46 AM

What I don't get is why the US authorities are so keen to lock people up in jail for relatively minor infringements, but absolutely resistant to the idea of forcibly locking people in mental hospitals if they threaten themselves or others. (Or if the only reason they are being arrested is that they're off their faces on drugs.) That's the only way you CAN force them to take medication. You keep them long enough to get the dose right and to ensure it's become a habit. If it doesn't, they should be able to be kept there.

I'm not suggesting we return to the days when they put you in a mental hospital and threw away the key. That's only permissible after a trial. In any case, there are now a lot of conditions that can be cured if you dry out and take the correct medication in the right dosage, so there's no need to keep people there indefinitely unless the court says so.

So why isn't there a mental hospital capacity to equal the demand, as there is with prison capacity? Why isn't there legislation to allow cops to stick you in a mental hospital "on remand" and get authorisation from the court to extend your stay, if necessary, with evidence taken at the scene of your arrest?

People stand a chance of coming out of mental hospitals better than they went in, which is rarely true of prisons.

by Anonymousreply 49January 16, 2022 12:02 PM

Sounds like DarkMingeLord at r24 said something stupid and got banned for it. I'm sure we all feel very sorry for her.

by Anonymousreply 50January 16, 2022 12:06 PM

You can't forcibly lock someone up in a mental hospital without a conviction that includes that as part of the punishment, r49. Each state has a different set of criteria you have to meet to be involuntarily committed, and because hospitals are underfunded, they tend to release people before they really should be.

by Anonymousreply 51January 16, 2022 12:07 PM

This man doesn't need to be locked in jail. He needs therapy.

by Anonymousreply 52January 16, 2022 12:08 PM

More white supremacy, Mayor Adams?

by Anonymousreply 53January 16, 2022 12:09 PM

The white supremacy problem in Manhattan is real. They just did an episode about it. Someone threw rocks through the window of a synagogue and the attacked an Orthodox man outside. Then someone fired bombed a mosque.

by Anonymousreply 54January 16, 2022 12:13 PM

Actually, R9, it stopped when the media was called out on their leftist/woke lies by the public and numerous videos showed the truth.

by Anonymousreply 55January 16, 2022 12:13 PM

Ugh, "you [bold] generally [/bold] can't forcibly lock someone up" at r51. I got up too early this morning, my writing is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 56January 16, 2022 12:14 PM

Because, R13, NYS and NYC are notoriously corrupt. Very little of worth gets done by the governmental agencies. The state has a GDP nearly equal to that of Canada yet we are one of the highest taxed states in the country, all with little to show for it. The subway is a crumbling mess, most of the parks and infrastructure are in serious disrepair, we flush billions down the toilet to help the perpetually fucked up with programs that don't help people who don't want the help, etc.

by Anonymousreply 57January 16, 2022 12:18 PM

[quote] we flush billions down the toilet to help the perpetually fucked up with programs that don't help people who don't want the help, etc.

Maybe that’s what happened to the Chirlaine millions. Maybe it just “fell” in the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 58January 16, 2022 12:22 PM

R54, who is "they" that did the episode about it? Links to these stories or they didn't happen. Are random acts of violence a form of supremacy? If so, there is a whole lot of black supremacy going on in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 59January 16, 2022 12:28 PM

When are people who ride the subways going to figure out it's not safe to stand anywhere near the tracks when they're waiting for a train? With all the crazies on the streets today they're just inviting one of the nuts to attack them.

by Anonymousreply 60January 16, 2022 12:31 PM

Actually, R51, you can in NYS. If two psychiatrists deem a person a danger to self or others, the person will be admitted involuntarily (referred to as a 9.39). I believe it is for up to 3o days. After that, the hospital must go to court to keep the patient longer.

Also, there are outpatient teams that monitor potentially dangerous (to self or others) mentally ill people living in the community to ensure they are taking their medication and are not decompensating. This came about from Kendra's Law, a response to the murder of Kendra Webdale.

The real issue is the state mental hospitals should never have been closed. There is a sizeable number of mentally ill people who cannot function in society and never will. The supposed outpatient support and group homes simply are not, and cannot, function as proposed back in the 70s. We are wasting millions on a relatively few number of people who continually end up on psychiatric wards every few months because they are not taking their medication or decompensate because of the very stressful life they are forced to lead.

This is about the truly mentally ill. The drug addicted are another, totally different can of worms.

by Anonymousreply 61January 16, 2022 12:40 PM

What does decompensate mean?

by Anonymousreply 62January 16, 2022 12:45 PM

[quote] This man doesn't need to be locked in jail. He needs therapy.

You're right, he just needs to talk it out After a few sessions, I'm sure the therapist will convince him he's not God. Then we can try and get him back in the workforce.

by Anonymousreply 63January 16, 2022 12:54 PM

Sorry, R62, it means psychiatric symptoms return.

by Anonymousreply 64January 16, 2022 12:57 PM

This is a better definition: to lose the ability to maintain normal or appropriate psychological defenses, sometimes resulting in depression, anxiety, or delusions.

by Anonymousreply 65January 16, 2022 1:01 PM

In situations like this, it is always mental illness. How do they know it is mental illness so quickly as opposed to drugs? Also, if mental illness, was it caused by years of drug or alcohol addiction?

by Anonymousreply 66January 16, 2022 1:08 PM

In situations like this, it depends on the race of the perp. Black/Arab = mental illness. White/Latino = Trump supporter.

by Anonymousreply 67January 16, 2022 1:10 PM

R66, one clue is a database of psychiatric admissions. Often it is difficult to tell what is mental illness or drugs. There is a symbiotic relationship between the two. Many mentally ill self-medicate with drugs and alcohol. Drugs and alcohol is really inducing psychosis, sometimes with terrible outcomes. Often, someone who has experience with the mentally ill can tell the cause of behavior (drugs, mental illness or both) fairly quickly, but not always.

by Anonymousreply 68January 16, 2022 1:30 PM

R52 There's no real therapy for someone who killed without remorse.

by Anonymousreply 69January 16, 2022 1:34 PM

She’s Asian and he’s black but woke media refuses to s Call it a HATE CRIME based on race. Yet white person does it and it’s RACIST overload. He is a nut job who should’ve been locked up ages ago. Manhattan is a playground for criminals right now. Especially those of “color” since they feel empowered by the former black loving criminal mayor.

by Anonymousreply 70January 16, 2022 1:48 PM

And me, r70! Don’t forget about me.

I need my name mentioned so I can get name recognition.

by Anonymousreply 71January 16, 2022 2:06 PM

[quote] You're right, he just needs to talk it out After a few sessions, I'm sure the therapist will convince him he's not God.

They’re gonna need the full hour, not the 50 minute and you’re out sessions.

That should help.

by Anonymousreply 72January 16, 2022 2:08 PM

When will these mental apes stop?

by Anonymousreply 73January 16, 2022 2:09 PM

Crimes against Asians by any race definitely fits the federal description of a hate crime. Asian watch groups should file a lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 74January 16, 2022 2:11 PM

[R52], Cunt of Cunts. Her family needs the therapy, Ye Citizen of Snowflakesville, not the man who murdered their friend and loved one. Did that occur to you? You're a complete idiot.

by Anonymousreply 75January 16, 2022 2:22 PM

R67 But also, in these cases, the Latino somehow becomes White. Remember how George Zimmerman was someone called White? Rittenhouse is half Latino. Had these men cured cancer, they would be called Latino. Since they shot someone, they are White.

by Anonymousreply 76January 16, 2022 2:49 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 77January 16, 2022 3:04 PM

What I find really tempting fate is when the trains are delayed and the platform is jammed with people. A literal crowd of people 4 or 5 deep standing at the edge. All it takes is one madman to push or someone to lose their balance and God knows how many people would fall onto the tracks. Than there are the idiots who insist on walking along the edge of the platform, even when a train is roaring into the station.

by Anonymousreply 78January 16, 2022 3:16 PM

Ugh. The R train? He did her a favor.

by Anonymousreply 79January 16, 2022 3:21 PM

[quote] Than there are the idiots

Irony.

by Anonymousreply 80January 16, 2022 3:29 PM

R68 and yet when some introduces themselves in a AA meeting as "hi I'm [name] and I'm dual diagnosed" they get dragged by their sponsor and other members, instead of getting support.

by Anonymousreply 81January 16, 2022 3:31 PM

I am Asian. There are two things I don't like about US. One, it's much less secure than most of the Asian countries. Two, America surprisingly has much lower ratio of total tops than Asia, or South America, or Europe that I have visited.

Sadly, most of the Americans think the other way.

by Anonymousreply 82January 16, 2022 3:34 PM

[quote] Two, America surprisingly has much lower ratio of total tops than Asia, or South America, or Europe that I have visited.

Well now, if you're going to also count the women...

by Anonymousreply 83January 16, 2022 4:33 PM

Sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 16, 2022 10:25 PM

Remember this tasteless NY Post (shocking I know) front cover photo of a man on the subway tracks about to get run over. The person who took the photo decided to snap a pic of it than save the man’s life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2022 12:37 AM

This happens more often than reported although most of the few hundred subway train deaths each year are suicidal or accidental. FDNY & EMT’s have different names for the types of gruesome deaths (classic hit & splatter, space case and the screw driver) it happens so often. The FDNY has a fake subway track at their academy to train for these situations. I’ve been on the train a few times when it ran over someone and everyone had to exit single file out the last train car and exit the station through a secret exit. Another time I was on the train when it hit and killed someone who had been pushed. People were screaming not to turn driving and look at all the blood and guts and everyone was running out. I ran out so fast and glad I didn’t see it. Two men were fighting and one pushed the other in the tracks in that case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 17, 2022 12:49 AM

[quote] The person who took the photo decided to snap a pic of it than save the man’s life.

To be fair with the oncoming train this close you'd have to have been the Flash to get the man off the tracks before impact.

by Anonymousreply 87January 17, 2022 12:54 AM

R76 you are so right.

by Anonymousreply 88January 17, 2022 1:01 AM

These incidents permanently traumatize the poor train conductors. The MTA only gives their train drivers 3 days off after these tragedies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 17, 2022 1:06 AM

This poor subway driver ran over 2 women in the same week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 17, 2022 1:12 AM

How could anybody deny this guy needs to be locked up? En if it’s in an institution he doesn’t belong on the streets again

by Anonymousreply 91January 17, 2022 1:17 AM

R89, R90, a friend of mine is a freight train engineer and has killed several people over the years. The incidents were either suicides or crossing accidents where a car tried to beat the train. He's had four incidents that have caused death so far, but thankfully he is allowed to take off as much time as he wants and his wages are covered through Workers Compensation.

After the most recent incident, he took nearly a year off work, his colleague is still off work because he had JUST come back to work after a suicide and because as the conductor, he had to walk back to the victim to see if first aid was possible. The person was literally cut in half at the torso and the poor fellow had to see it close up.

Why aren't these subway drivers allowed more time off? Three days is not enough. I know what my friend has gone through and it's been awful. He told his workplace if there's one more incident he'll be off permanently, and because of the number of incidents he's had, Workers Comp would bridge him until he's eligible for retirement.

by Anonymousreply 92January 17, 2022 1:58 AM

Another scary Midtown incident captured on cam and posted on-line today, Tourist Near Rockefeller Center Records Himself Getting Harassed And Assaulted By A Group Of Young Kids

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 17, 2022 2:16 AM

[quote] Records Himself Getting Harassed And Assaulted By A Group Of Young Kids

The correct terminology is "A Group Of Youths"

by Anonymousreply 94January 17, 2022 2:20 AM

Thank God one of them was white.

by Anonymousreply 95January 17, 2022 3:40 AM

Men are sick

by Anonymousreply 96January 17, 2022 3:41 AM

You’re less likely to die by violent crime while living in NYC than to be shot in the head by a toddler while living in West Texas

by Anonymousreply 97January 17, 2022 3:50 AM

Unfortunately, Eric Adams doesn’t seem to be someone who will have the answers. He hasn’t been in office long, but I’m unimpressed so far.

by Anonymousreply 98January 17, 2022 3:55 AM

Is he eating a hoagie while filming?

by Anonymousreply 99January 17, 2022 6:20 AM

Please don’t let him be……

Oh forget it.

by Anonymousreply 100January 17, 2022 6:37 AM

I’m sick of blacks.

by Anonymousreply 101January 17, 2022 12:28 PM

[quote] and exit the station through a secret exit.

Well I guess it’s no secret anymore.

Goddammit!

by Anonymousreply 102January 17, 2022 12:58 PM

That reddit thread on subway deaths is very interesting; I guess if you keep it in perspective, you're far more likely to die in a car accident, but good lord what an awful way to go.

by Anonymousreply 103January 17, 2022 1:17 PM

The few times I have had to take a subway, I don't stand on the platform near the tracks but in the back away from it. When the subway arrives I move forward. I had a friend who would stand right at the edge to look down the tracks to see if he could see a light.

by Anonymousreply 104January 17, 2022 1:21 PM

Asians, Jews, and white gay men should never stand near the tracks.

by Anonymousreply 105January 17, 2022 1:27 PM

R101 I am sick of racist like you, disgusting degenerate klan granny.

by Anonymousreply 106January 17, 2022 8:07 PM

Maybe the new DA Bragg should enforce farebeating as a crime. It would be a small step to bring some order into a chaotic situation but he'll never do it. Systemic racism, inequality, more buzzwords yadda yadda. So the subways will continue to function as homeless shelters in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 107January 17, 2022 8:13 PM

[quote]klan granny

I maybe “klan” but I’m no granny. Not old, or trans.

by Anonymousreply 108January 17, 2022 8:21 PM

You can't stop evil, but you can try to prevent evil acts from happening. Redesign these subway stations so that it isn't so easy to do this.

The new mayor just took office, you can't blame this on him.

by Anonymousreply 109January 17, 2022 8:25 PM

[quote]The new mayor just took office, you can't blame this on him.

😉

by Anonymousreply 110January 17, 2022 8:26 PM

They should have force fields like Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 111January 17, 2022 8:27 PM

"I may be klan but I'm no granny." This is the new DL. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 112January 17, 2022 8:28 PM

[quote]I may be klan but I'm no granny.

This is the new DL. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 113January 17, 2022 8:30 PM

Young klansmen you mean, R113?

by Anonymousreply 114January 17, 2022 8:31 PM

If he refuses mental health care, he should be euthanized. There is no reason the rest of us should have to deal with him. The same goes for all of the psychos roaming around the subway. It’s a public safety issue.

by Anonymousreply 115January 17, 2022 9:52 PM

R107, you’re on to something with the fare beaters. I’m pretty sure most of the harrassment/crime, etc is instigated by fare beaters. If there was a major clampdown/zero tolerance policy against them I’m pretty sure these situations wouldn’t be as prevalent.

by Anonymousreply 116January 17, 2022 10:49 PM

Question for NYers: I remember reading on previous threads that the homeless population in NYC had gotten much worse since the pandemic and that the mentally ill had increasingly become menacing & aggressive. This latest unfortunate episode notwithstanding, do you think that is true and if so, what is the cause (aside from the mayor)? Not to be crass, but I thought COVID negatively impacted the homeless/mentally ill population and therefore would result in a decreased population. I realize that a lot of people still aren't going into the office, but less that's just less people to harass.

by Anonymousreply 117January 17, 2022 11:39 PM

R117, yes, it’s true. Although now both the homeless and the mentally are behaving in a noticeably aggressive manner.

by Anonymousreply 118January 18, 2022 12:47 AM

This is a result of closing down mental institutions. Thanks Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 119January 18, 2022 1:13 AM

Brooklyn resident here, and a regular subway rider.

The comments above about enforcing laws against jumping the turnstiles are intriguing. I suspect that preventing farebeating, consistently, might help to reduce crime in the subway system and would certainly help to reduce the number of unhinged mentally ill on platforms and trains.

However, I have zero faith in the will (and ability?) of our city government, let alone the NYPD, to enforce these or any other laws related to safety and security on public transit.

At the station nearest my house, there’s a group of men who routinely smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, and play loud music INSIDE the station, all while totally unmasked, of course. They go back and forth through the gate, which they prop open.

All of this is in full view of the station agent. No, I don’t expect him to personally approach the group and get them to stop creating a nuisance. But I wonder why he doesn’t summon the transit cops to take care of this.

I think a huge problem we have in NYC is conflating protecting the quality of life of all residents with abusive policing. I recognize that many people of color, particularly young men, have suffered at the hands of racist officers with unchecked power.

I don’t want to see anyone, even brazen offenders, treated inhumanely. But why is it not possible to enforce laws that help us live as civilized humans, peacefully and free from fear, without violating people’s civil rights? Am I naive to think that must be possible?

I’ve generally tended to feel safe when I use public transit. But lately that feeling of safety has diminished greatly. And as a small, weaker, eldergay with a bad back and a trick knee, I do feel defenseless when approached by some raving lunatic, often much bigger than me.

Though I was never a fan, I wanted to give Adams the benefit of the doubt as a new mayor and wish him well. But in his very short time in office, he’s already shown his true colors. It’s hard, very hard, to feel any optimism.

I love my city but I feel saddened by what I see around me. Sorry for being so long-winded.

by Anonymousreply 120January 18, 2022 1:23 AM

R73 They aren’t going to. They are being emboldened and enabled.

by Anonymousreply 121January 18, 2022 1:41 AM

I just saw a photo of the victim. Very pretty woman. It's fucking enraging that we have to share public space with these menaces.

by Anonymousreply 122January 18, 2022 1:49 AM

R119 Some say thanks Geraldo Rivera.

by Anonymousreply 123January 18, 2022 1:50 AM

Reagan, Jerry Brown—two awful politicians.

by Anonymousreply 124January 18, 2022 1:54 AM

But where is the white one though r95?

by Anonymousreply 125January 18, 2022 3:48 AM

I thought the one in the yellow sweatshirt was white. Looked like his hands were but maybe I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 126January 18, 2022 12:12 PM

[quote] I don’t want to see anyone, even brazen offenders, treated inhumanely

Why not? They are treating good people inhumanely. Fuck them.

Fuck the city too- the subway attendants don’t even look up when these assholes jump over the turnstiles or smoke at the platform.

Homeless guys have piles of belongings (health and security risk) on the platforms and police officers just walk by. The police should be so embarrassed that they are impotent in the face of these thugs and human vermin. What a blow to their ego take an oath to serve and protect, yet just walk by these messes, unable to do a thing about it. The same goes for the people sleeping on the subway cars. The cops should take them to a homeless shelter, not let them stink up the car.

by Anonymousreply 127January 18, 2022 12:28 PM

R127 Comes from the top down. Sounds like you actually want Giuliani back as mayor.

by Anonymousreply 128January 18, 2022 12:31 PM

R128,

I was very young when he was mayor and I wasn’t interested in politics at the time (too busy writing book reports, I guess), but I think he had the right idea. From what liberal gays who were adults at the time have told me, Dinkins did major damage to the city and Giuliani was a blessing.

by Anonymousreply 129January 18, 2022 12:38 PM

R129 I was a liberal gay adult living in the city in the 80s and 90s, and you are correct. As much as that reality would pain some to say, or hear.

by Anonymousreply 130January 18, 2022 12:39 PM

It’s kind of a catch-22. I kind of long for the artsy, grungy, fun NYC I hear about and see in old photos. The Disneyfication of the city is a let down. The problem is, it seems that although the city is becoming more dangerous, and perhaps grittier, I can’t imagine the art, creativity and mystique will come back.

by Anonymousreply 131January 18, 2022 12:44 PM

R131 I agree. I didn't like the Disneyfication either, but the city did get a lot safer. Well, there certainly is a transition underway – to what, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 132January 18, 2022 12:55 PM

[quote] But why is it not possible to enforce laws that help us live as civilized humans, peacefully and free from fear, without violating people’s civil rights?

It is possible. However, minorities are disproportionately summonsed for Theft of Services (fare beating), so the usual suspects suddenly call it racist.

That was the theory behind “Broken Windows,” if you take care of the little things, the big things will take care of themselves. If these people are not in the subway system to begin with they can’t cause problems there.

If you leave a window broken in a neighborhood, it’ll appear as though the neighborhood is neglected and more windows will be broken. Fix that one broken window and you’ll save yourself from having to replace hundreds.

by Anonymousreply 133January 18, 2022 9:19 PM

[quote] However, minorities are disproportionately summonsed for Theft of Services (fare beating), so the usual suspects suddenly call it racist.

That’s because they’re committing more of the crimes. I see it every day. Why can’t this be acknowledged publicly by the mayor or the DA?

by Anonymousreply 134January 18, 2022 10:50 PM

Because we don’t live in facts anymore, R134.

by Anonymousreply 135January 18, 2022 10:54 PM

She worked at Deloitte. A waste.

by Anonymousreply 136January 19, 2022 1:16 AM

It makes me rethink what I thought were the harmless crazies on the train where I live.

by Anonymousreply 137January 19, 2022 3:36 AM

R98, it looks like Adams will justify his corruption and nepotism on White supremacy and blame all his failings, of which I suspect there will be many, on White supremacy.

by Anonymousreply 138January 19, 2022 9:18 PM

He cried over supposed racist things. He cried. I thought, this is who people are voting for?

by Anonymousreply 139January 19, 2022 9:25 PM

He’s a showboater, a true example of a performative politician. And I think he’ll be gone by Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 140January 19, 2022 10:54 PM

People are still paying premium prices to live in shitholes like SF and NYC. It's unbelieveable. Better them than me though.

by Anonymousreply 141January 20, 2022 1:58 AM

R134 Or anyone else for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 142January 20, 2022 2:24 AM

Exactly R101 and Im sick of black apologists who refuse to acknowledge when they commit crimes because they want to be “woke”. How about this TAKE THE FUCKING RACE OUT OF IT -HE COMMITTED A CRIME, HE NEEDS TO BE LOCKED UP AND LOSE THE KEY. We’re a bunch of PC Pussies. The criminals literally are running the asylum (which america needs desperately to reinstate! Mental health is a mind illness and left untreated…well check out downtown LA and NYC and really anywhere the mentally I’ll are allowed to be on the streets) it’s killing society and it doesn’t help them either but not medicating them and keeping them safe inside where they can’t hurt themselves or innocent others. Also, the political BS is to “not put them in jail” so they can instead get bolder and bolder with their crimes? Until it’s THEIR life’s threatened then it’s a problem? Hey AOC, Talib, Omar…fuck your woke squad and go visit families of VICTIMS to see the real life impact your Black Lives Matter/Latino/Muslim brothers and sisters have had. They feel because they’ve been persecuted they can now run free to abuse people? How about rising up like a true man MLK and being stronger with decency, working hard and kindness. Stop using your race in every goddamn sentence you utter. And FYI I’m MIXED races so fuck off for anyone ready to say “typical white privilege response” cause I was raised in housing apartments and knew it was their own doing and I didn’t want to be part of a life too easy to lead while blaming others.

by Anonymousreply 143January 20, 2022 1:11 PM

Is this story forgotten, yesterday's boring news?

by Anonymousreply 144January 21, 2022 7:24 PM

R144 Of course, what do you expect? It's not even a week and it's old news. There was a public vigil held for her on Tuesday, and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 145January 21, 2022 7:56 PM

the last non-black subway pusher who I can remember was a crazy asian lady before the pandemic, so a few years ago. Do white homeless and crazies shove people into the tracks?

by Anonymousreply 146January 21, 2022 8:08 PM

R146, there was a woman in 2012 who pushed a 57 year old Hindu man onto the tracks and killed him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147January 21, 2022 11:05 PM

Muslim-hating maniac? Was this guy classified as an Asian-hating maniac?

by Anonymousreply 148January 21, 2022 11:07 PM

Last February a Hispanic woman was pushed by a 30-something white woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149January 21, 2022 11:13 PM

R148, I guess not, but he said something like “I am God,” rather than, “I hate Asians.” He also threatened another woman on the platform and I don’t know if she was also Asian. In any case, there are far too many cases of people being pushed onto subway tracks.

by Anonymousreply 150January 21, 2022 11:17 PM

No, I think this guy was classified as “mentally ill”. Because he’s black.

by Anonymousreply 151January 21, 2022 11:19 PM

[quote]Martial had initially approached another woman, who was not Asian, in the station, but the woman became alarmed and moved away, according to police. “She feels that he was about to physically push her onto the train,” Assistant Chief Jason Wilcox of the NYPD Detective Bureau said. “As she’s walking away she witnesses the crime where he pushes our other victim in front of the train.”

R150 She was not according to the article at R38. As R151 said, this is most likely going to be classified as a case of mentally ill homeless rage. They get rejected from society so they take revenge on society.

by Anonymousreply 152January 22, 2022 1:58 AM

The "Broken Windows" theory and the policing method that it inspired are in disrepute.

[quote]But in cities where Broken Windows has taken root, there’s little evidence that it’s worked as intended. The theory has instead resulted in what critics say is aggressive over-policing of minority communities, which often creates more problems than it solves. Such practices can strain criminal justice systems, burden impoverished people with fines for minor offenses, and fracture the relationship between police and minorities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153January 22, 2022 2:17 AM

One cop shot and killed in Harlem and the other in critical condition.

by Anonymousreply 154January 22, 2022 2:23 AM

[quote] The "Broken Windows" theory and the policing method that it inspired are in disrepute.

𝐷𝑖𝑠𝑟𝑒𝑝𝑢𝑡𝑒 defined as "Let POC" do all the crimes they want.

by Anonymousreply 155January 22, 2022 3:06 AM

People in NYC would always say - It's the best way to get around.

I say it's the BEST way to get pushed onto the train tracks

by Anonymousreply 156January 22, 2022 3:09 AM

22 year old cop shot dead tonight in an apartment ambush. The suspect’s mother is a corrections officer. Ah, the irony.

by Anonymousreply 157January 22, 2022 3:19 AM

Dummy at R155, even the guy whose theory it is said it's being misapplied, resulting in bad policing.

by Anonymousreply 158January 22, 2022 3:28 AM

[quote] [R1] why? did he push her onto the tracks?

Because he wanted her to have a closer look at the rats, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 159January 22, 2022 6:24 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160January 22, 2022 8:41 PM

Maybe he knew that, r160, and it pissed him off figuring he doesn’t need any help.

At least that’s what I heard. But you ain’t heard that from me cause I ain’t one to gossip.

by Anonymousreply 161January 22, 2022 10:55 PM

Why is OP's post grayed out?

by Anonymousreply 162January 22, 2022 10:57 PM

[QUOTE] Why is OP's post grayed out?

Because OP did a bad bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 163January 23, 2022 12:31 AM

R162 Because Gray Lines Matter!

by Anonymousreply 164January 23, 2022 2:36 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165January 23, 2022 8:39 PM

[quote] Not on ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN

We know why it wasn't on CNN.

by Anonymousreply 166January 23, 2022 10:29 PM

That kind of bail is what leads people to take the law into their own hands. Next for the US, vigilante justice.

by Anonymousreply 167January 23, 2022 10:32 PM

ABC, NBC, CBS are as bad as CNN. They never cover black on black crime. It literally doesn’t exist in their world.

by Anonymousreply 168January 23, 2022 10:35 PM

You’re an idiot and a troll r168. Please kill yourself.

by Anonymousreply 169January 23, 2022 11:41 PM

Again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170January 24, 2022 4:10 AM

[quote] Not on ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN But it's on The Daily Mail, The NY Post, in European newspapers

Illustrating why The Daily Mail, The NY Post, and European newspapers are essential for Americans who to learn the news the mainstream media doesn't want us to know about

by Anonymousreply 171January 26, 2022 1:56 AM

oops

Americans who wish to learn...

by Anonymousreply 172January 26, 2022 2:16 AM

Some,of the crimes are so outrageous or horrible that the MSM is starting to cover them. Even the NYT had a front page article about how recent shootings were demoralizing New Yorkers.

by Anonymousreply 173January 26, 2022 2:20 AM

And these homeless lunatics usually have severe mental health issues that go unchecked and they are left to roam the streets. It’s a problem. We don’t have any good public mental health systems in America. So people who should be locked away and being looked after are hanging out in subways…you see them all the time. And not just black ones.

by Anonymousreply 174January 26, 2022 1:03 PM

If we had mental institutions today, blacks would still be pushing Asian women onto subway tracks. ^

by Anonymousreply 175January 26, 2022 1:05 PM

35 plus years and we all agree it was a mistake to close mental hospitals, which begs the question, why were they closed in the first place, really, and why haven't they been reopened? Are they just catch-alls where people are warehoused? "Lifestyle" choices for some?

by Anonymousreply 176January 26, 2022 1:20 PM

Every black person in the world, r175, pushing Asians onto subway tracks? Where are you? I’d love to push you onto the tracks.

by Anonymousreply 177January 26, 2022 1:53 PM

Stop being hyperbolic and obtuse ^.

by Anonymousreply 178January 26, 2022 2:07 PM

[quote]I’d love to push you onto the tracks.

Just so violent. Angry.

by Anonymousreply 179January 26, 2022 2:07 PM

I was reading the Washington Post the other day, and they linked to an article from some other publication, written by a black woman, about the subway pushing. Naturally she failed to admit that the guy who pushed the woman was black, but yet found space in her article to include non-binary people in the article title, and to mention the white guy who shot Asian people in Atlanta last year. What the fuck does any of that have to do with the relentless and endless crimes in NYC?!

by Anonymousreply 180January 26, 2022 2:22 PM

Maybe parents should be legally required to take care of their mentally ill children, who have a record of violence, as long as the parents are alive. Either parental tutelage or State tutelage. One or the other being necessary. The parents can then commit their children to the state and the state must accept them. If the crazy dangerous nut leaves state care, the parent must reassume management.

Most of these crazies have been more or less cut free from their families.

If you don't want to be responsible for your possibly crazy spawn - get a fucking abortion.

by Anonymousreply 181January 26, 2022 2:28 PM

This black man pushed the woman because she was Asian. It was a hate crime, just like all the others.

by Anonymousreply 182January 26, 2022 2:30 PM

I’m sick hearing about “mentally ill” shit. This man committed a murderous hate crime and should be sent to prison, for life.

by Anonymousreply 183January 26, 2022 2:31 PM

R181, Abortion abortion, or very late-term abortion?

by Anonymousreply 184January 26, 2022 2:32 PM

I'm surprised the linked Washington Post article didn't mention the white douche who threw a soda and yelled anti immigrant slurs. Because that's a crime that gets more MSM/social media outrage than this murder of an Asian woman by a black man.

by Anonymousreply 185January 26, 2022 2:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186January 26, 2022 2:50 PM

R178 used ten dollar words. That might get you a slice and a large Coca-Cola somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 187January 26, 2022 3:30 PM

R187, I'm not R178, but those aren't $10 words. That's basic stuff, if you're a native English-speaking adult.

by Anonymousreply 188January 26, 2022 3:33 PM

People seem to be crazier than ever now.

by Anonymousreply 189January 26, 2022 3:34 PM

Only pretentious people use those words r188. And English is my native language.

by Anonymousreply 190January 26, 2022 3:41 PM

Fuck. This shit happens everyday in NYC. Non story

by Anonymousreply 191January 26, 2022 3:43 PM

To think in many countries this behavior wouldn't be tolerated for one month let lone decades and decades.

by Anonymousreply 192January 26, 2022 3:49 PM

R190, I hear "obtuse" at least once every few days--not necessarily directed at me.

by Anonymousreply 193January 26, 2022 3:49 PM

It’s DATALOUNGE, R193, of COURSE you’re going to read pretentious queens using words like that in their posts…lol

by Anonymousreply 194January 26, 2022 3:54 PM

[quote] I hear "obtuse" at least once every few days--not necessarily directed at me.

I was so glad you clarified at the end. I puckered knowing what the obvious comeback would be from him.

😂

by Anonymousreply 195January 26, 2022 5:15 PM

I think there's a significant divide in the education levels and cultural milieus among DLers. I've noticed this. It's about half and half: the highly educated and cosmopolitan, and the more down-home Middle American types. It's like America.

by Anonymousreply 196January 26, 2022 5:18 PM

I'm educated and fairly cosmopolitan. I was born in Queens and have lived here for almost 25 years. However, I have no fear on calling out the true problems New York has, and I don't care who trashes the city. New York never loved me, so I'm just returning the favor.

by Anonymousreply 197January 26, 2022 7:24 PM

So. What are the true problems?

by Anonymousreply 198January 26, 2022 7:27 PM

R197 Just wanted to make the thread about him.

by Anonymousreply 199January 26, 2022 7:35 PM

[quote] I think there's a significant divide in the education levels and cultural milieus among DLers.

Try explaining the soup kitchen milieu.

by Anonymousreply 200January 26, 2022 9:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!