Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The NYT Real Estate sections; ability to find people who have trust funds/parental support is astounding

At least once a month they feature people whose jobs do not in any way match the property they bought and (often) renovated.

Today we have Zack, a 32-yo salesman for a market research firm and his wife Nicole, who "handles external communication for a city agency" buying a $1.25MM apartment with $1900/month maintenance (HOA) and, as Nicole notes "There is stuff I never considered before, like oversized windows, which are so nice when it comes to having natural light, but so expensive when it comes to window treatments. We have to go fully custom, which is a blessing and a curse.”

And if you are wondering WTF is up with the Amish hat, he does state that the area around Lincoln Center is "soulless"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141February 12, 2022 12:47 PM

I am OUTRAGED!

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2022 1:15 PM

OP I agree with you, they're hideous.

If the linebacker on the right is pregnant, she seems to be carrying quite low.

The woman on the left should rethink her hat.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2022 1:19 PM

That picture makes me want to kick them both in the gunt.

Even the dog looks humiliated.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2022 1:30 PM

I hate every human associated with this story...the two pedestrian looking scions with an unlimited line of credit from their one percenter parents, the writer of the dismal piece who thinks this is relevant, useful information for the Gray Hag's readership and the photographer who doesn't realize the pup should be the ENTIRE focal point of the shoot.

Drone strike for everyone associated with the piece.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2022 1:34 PM

What r4 said.

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2022 1:44 PM

Is the one in the left supposed to be a male? He/they with his/they mullet and doughboy body looks very feminine. The girl already looks middle-aged with that FUPA of hers.

All that money and still fat and homely. Sad!

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2022 1:44 PM

They ugly. They have matching fupas.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2022 1:58 PM

Yes I read that in the NYT and wondered how the hell they could afford not just the place but the ridiculous monthly maintenance charge. Just jealous I guess.

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2022 2:00 PM

I really enjoy The Hunt, with all it's absurdities. So much better than House Hunters crap on HGTV.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2022 3:57 PM

The problem with The Hunt is that they often leave out a critical detail--this week it was that the Morningside Heights apartment was directly above the supermarket's rooftop ventilation fans, other times they'll leave out the presence of a hospital emergency room across the street, etc.

Worse still, the Hunters often bid on one of the apartments, get outbid, and then wind up settling for their second choice.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2022 5:50 PM

They're both so doughy.

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2022 5:51 PM

What's wrong with a doorman?

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2022 5:52 PM

1) You have no idea how much the guy makes in sales.

2) $1,900 is not an especially high maintenance

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2022 5:56 PM

R12 Too pretentious? OR too much conspicuous consumption?....OR BOTH (my choice)?

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2022 5:57 PM

A doorman would violate woke principles.

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2022 5:59 PM

Having a doorman means someone’s always up in your business.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2022 6:09 PM

I hope their apartment catches fire

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2022 6:11 PM

I adore doormen!

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2022 6:12 PM

Their doorman story was just bizarre. Couple of weirdos.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2022 6:14 PM

Too cheap to tip and/or have a drug dealer.

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2022 6:29 PM

I like them. They fill me with hope that Quakers and Jews can get along.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2022 6:36 PM

Their combined income is probably around $300k, and with a good down payment they should easily qualify for that amount, so not sure what the outrage is. And I find it a little heartwarming when two fats can find each other. Match made in heaven ❤️

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2022 6:40 PM

Despite the name (and the hat) R21, it appears he was very involved with Hillel in college. So not a Quaker or even a mixed marriage.

On what planet does 32 year old PR person for a city department make more than $75K, R22? More like $250 combined max

And down payment on a $1.2MM apartment is $600K

Look- it's quite common for parents/grandparents to gift a down payment--that is how I bought my place. I just wouldn't go to the NYT about it.

He also does not appear to be fat.

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2022 7:10 PM

Amazing how many people in NYC are only there because of parental support. They would never be able to afford it otherwise or they would have to **gasp!** live in QUEENS **gasp**

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2022 7:12 PM

I’m gonna picture these two fucking, as an appetite suppressant.

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2022 7:20 PM

The New York Times has always been a booster for the real estate business. Always.

They have no interest in poor people having housing. They feel that their fortunes rise and fall with NY real estate, and so they will always print these insanely dumb articles about dull people buying places most others could never afford.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2022 7:28 PM

This is who took over from all the funsters who used to move to nyc.

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2022 7:34 PM

Both are bad-bodied and fug.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2022 7:41 PM

Have no fear. Her camel toe black hole will noiselessly absorb them both.

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2022 7:42 PM

Of course the two FATTIES miss the absence of a diverse food scene in their neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2022 7:42 PM

They should’ve stayed in the walkup to burn the calories (although in that case we could’ve ended up with a double Gayle Grinds situation).

by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2022 7:45 PM

Next week's profile: I lived in Queens without parental support!

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2022 7:46 PM

As someone with a gut myself, when I see a picture like this, it baffles me that anyone can stand to wear pants that tight across their stomach—it hurts!

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2022 7:47 PM

R33- I assume you're referring to the girl- not only that but wearing her pants SO HIGH and TIGHT just showcases her TUBINESS.

by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2022 7:49 PM

The NYT real estate articles drive me wild...."What CAN you get for under two million?" Who the fuck is this paper written for?

by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2022 7:52 PM

[quote]although they preferred a narrow galley kitchen that would discourage guests from volunteering to help. “They distract you, and then you burn something, or they are standing in front of the drawer with the utensil you need,” Ms. Brownstein said.

Well she sounds pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 36January 15, 2022 7:52 PM

They look like pigs. No. They look like PIG DUMPS!!

They look like the DUMPS of PIGS. HOGSHIT.

And I wish them every DREAM!

(Of which they will inherit every single one.)

by Anonymousreply 37January 15, 2022 7:53 PM

[quote]This is who took over from all the funsters who used to move to nyc.

People like these two dipshits used to be afraid to move to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2022 7:56 PM

Even though I partially agree with him (her?), R4 is pissed off that OANN is going under. I heard Trump is going to have a rally in Texas, R4, why are you not out there instead of kvetching about NY real estate and people who can afford it?

by Anonymousreply 39January 15, 2022 7:57 PM

Every social/life story in the Times seems to have son of or daughter ofs. I make it a habit to google the improbably rich young person and Surprise! They are usually find they are connected to media or publishing industries.

It is something you have to accept. NY TImes reporters dont jump up to interview broke or lower middle class people about anything.

by Anonymousreply 40January 15, 2022 7:58 PM

I agree with her that I don’t want guests in the kitchen when I’m trying to cook. GTFO!

My impression from reading many articles like this is the author knows someone who knows them, and thus doesn’t have to do any legwork or actual reporting to find someone to write about.

by Anonymousreply 41January 15, 2022 8:00 PM

But NYT likes to send its reporters to that mythical diner in Iowa to see what's hanging on the walls and to hear the opinion of hard working, blue collar Americans. "Here is why the lack of granite countertops in that pre-war apartment might be bad news for Biden..."

by Anonymousreply 42January 15, 2022 8:00 PM

R42 How awful that you might be exposed to views that don't match your own

by Anonymousreply 43January 15, 2022 8:04 PM

Repeat that to yourself, R42, while you're sitting in your stained underwear watching Fox News, Newsmax, or something else that fits the mental profile of a right wing troglodyte.

by Anonymousreply 44January 15, 2022 8:06 PM

This thread is hysterical. While I agree these two are annoying AF, I am shocked to learn they have actual jobs (such as they are); I expected to learn that he's designer of historic dulcimers and she's getting her doctorate in medieval studies or some bullshit thing.

by Anonymousreply 45January 15, 2022 8:06 PM

Id like to point out that while they are indeed unattractive and unfuckable,they found each other.While most of us are sucking down pints of ice cream and ruing our lost loves and youth. So who wins ?

by Anonymousreply 46January 15, 2022 8:07 PM

R44 So wound up you can't even reply to posts properly. Needlessly bringing politics into threads, and then of course anyone who disagrees with you must be a Republican. Grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 47January 15, 2022 8:09 PM

[quote] I expected to learn that he's designer of historic dulcimers and she's getting her doctorate in medieval studies or some bullshit thing.

Or the proud owners of Brooklyn's finest artisanal avocado/kimchi sandwich shop.

by Anonymousreply 48January 15, 2022 8:17 PM

R12 A doorman makes being a slut a bit harder...It's hard to have a door open policy if your tricks have to check in

by Anonymousreply 49January 15, 2022 8:17 PM

Why is r39 so stressed? Is the NYTimes not to be mocked?

by Anonymousreply 50January 15, 2022 8:27 PM

R26- The POORS generally DON'T read the NYT. The NYT is read by Upper middle class to rich people.

by Anonymousreply 51January 15, 2022 8:34 PM

I think if people who relied on their parents for $$ were not allowed to live in Manhattan, 50% of the population would be gone.

by Anonymousreply 52January 15, 2022 8:34 PM

I thought the guy in the hat was an older lesbian at first glance.

by Anonymousreply 53January 15, 2022 8:37 PM

It takes a certain grandiose lack of self awareness to broadcast your innermost emotions and private finances regarding housing to the entire literate world. It's like telling the world your weight, sexual preference, and cock size. This kind of story only attracts a special type.

by Anonymousreply 54January 15, 2022 8:39 PM

I love this thread and it's deliberate and delicious bitchcraft.

This is the story of most major cities.

Perhaps they vote Democrat, at least.

by Anonymousreply 55January 15, 2022 8:40 PM

r54 I've always thought the same thing. I would be mortified to divulge my personal financial details and how much I paid for something to the world at large. It amazes me that quite a few people have no problem broadcasting private information like this.

by Anonymousreply 56January 15, 2022 8:41 PM

This is the generation who puts the title “artist” in their social media bio lmao

by Anonymousreply 57January 15, 2022 8:41 PM

MS Brownstein has the body of someone who's at least 42 years old. Like someone said she already looks like a MIDDLE AGED FRUMP.

by Anonymousreply 58January 15, 2022 8:43 PM

Her Non binary partner evokes Lens Dunham's new hubby.

by Anonymousreply 59January 15, 2022 8:44 PM

These people ruin everything

by Anonymousreply 60January 15, 2022 8:44 PM

[quote]I think if people who relied on their parents for $$ were not allowed to live in Manhattan, 50% of the population would be gone.

Funny that, generational wealth. Same as it ever was.

by Anonymousreply 61January 15, 2022 9:06 PM

That's the thing R54.

A few years back one of our clients had a 31 year old woman working for them who did indeed have her family-funded real estate purchase and other elements of her family-funded lifestyle in a NYT Real Estate article. And for the next few months every time we were on a call with her co-workers that she was not on, there was much bitchiness and mockery.

As I noted above, I also got family help to buy a place, but that's not something I'd share with people I wasn't related to, let alone the entire readership of the NYT.

Not to mention the fact that they've been running these sorts of pieces for at least 30 years now and it is rare that anyone ever comes out looking good, that it seems to be a goal to make the subjects of these pieces look as foolish and petty as possible.

All that said, my favorite snide jab in the article, was a subtle one

[quote] They were captivated by the building’s history — it had recovered from a bad fire a couple of decades before — and the mansard roof.

So much shade in one throwaway sentence fragment.

by Anonymousreply 62January 15, 2022 9:07 PM

Paywall

by Anonymousreply 63January 15, 2022 9:15 PM

There is a name for those articles, R42.

They are known as "Cleetus Safaris"

And the name did not originate with anyone remotely affiliated of Trump or the right wing GOP

by Anonymousreply 64January 15, 2022 9:21 PM

^^HuffPo piece mocking Cleetus Safaris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 15, 2022 9:23 PM

We need people like that couple in OP. Real salt of the earth types.

by Anonymousreply 66January 15, 2022 9:26 PM

There's salt of the earth in the link in R65's post. Would you prefer their company?

by Anonymousreply 67January 15, 2022 9:28 PM

[quote]On what planet does 32 year old PR person for a city department make more than $75K, [R22]

R23 Well, here on planet San Francisco, the average salary of a city employee is $94,821, so if she's a manager, its entirely likely that she could make $150k.

And very few people put 50% down if they obtain a mortgage

And yes, he's fat.

by Anonymousreply 68January 15, 2022 9:29 PM

This is a very funny take on Cletus Safaris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 15, 2022 9:29 PM

New York Times = Trust Fund Times. It’s trust fund babies with a journalism hobby, writing about and protecting the interests of people like themselves. NYT has always been an “aspirational” newspaper, but nowadays it’s completely out of touch with 99% of society.

by Anonymousreply 70January 15, 2022 9:29 PM

I feel sorry for all of you poor people... $1.2 buys a place on over 100th Street... Down here in the East 70's (west of Lex, darling), you couldn't even afford a parking spot for that money!

by Anonymousreply 71January 15, 2022 9:36 PM

[quote] The New York Times has always been a booster for the real estate business. Always.

Well they did at one time make most of their money on real estate advertising/listings ... in the days before the internet!

by Anonymousreply 72January 15, 2022 9:37 PM

They asked their wedding guests to fund their honeymoon so I don't think they're trust fund babies. The minimum down payment on that building is 20 percent. His specialty is business development and he may work on commission.

by Anonymousreply 73January 15, 2022 9:41 PM

The New York Times must be trolling the readers -- and the sad, frumpy subjects of this piece -- at this point.

by Anonymousreply 74January 15, 2022 9:43 PM

Their furniture is pretty shitty so they saved every penny and put it into the pandemic. Linkedin shows he hasn't always had long hair.

by Anonymousreply 75January 15, 2022 10:02 PM

put it into the downpayment Brain fart.

by Anonymousreply 76January 15, 2022 10:03 PM

R73 They did? Hilarious. And that actually sounds exactly like something trust fund babies would do. God forbid they should spend their own money. Get mommy and daddy to pay for the wedding, and their guests to pay for the honeymoon. I'm guessing that dining table is oversized for the amount of friends they can actually get to come to their dinner parties.

by Anonymousreply 77January 15, 2022 10:26 PM

Dear god, what a hideous lesbian couple.

by Anonymousreply 78January 15, 2022 11:04 PM

r61 it's much, much more than it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 79January 15, 2022 11:06 PM

Is the NYT picking up discarded story idea from And Just Like That?

by Anonymousreply 80January 15, 2022 11:07 PM

I guess I'm supposed to know what R80 is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 81January 15, 2022 11:07 PM

I am going to assume her bush is thick, unruly and prematurely gray.

by Anonymousreply 82January 16, 2022 2:26 AM

The jealousy in this thread is epic!

If the guy is in software sales (as I am), he could easily be pulling in anywhere between $200k and $600k a year. The highest paid Enterprise Account Executives at Google, Facebook, and Oracle can make over $1MM a year.

I’m buying my first house and even with my income fear that I will struggle to afford the down payment on a nice place with inflated prices, low inventory (bidding wars), and higher interest rates.

If I need to, I will ask my parents for help. I intend to pay them back if I do.

by Anonymousreply 83January 16, 2022 2:33 AM

R83, good for you! And good for you for paying them back. (No shittiness intended.)

by Anonymousreply 84January 16, 2022 2:42 AM

LOL jealous of them? Over what, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 85January 16, 2022 1:04 PM

They seem like nice people.

by Anonymousreply 86January 16, 2022 1:10 PM

That story about why she doesn't want a doorman bummed me out. The guy was just trying to be nice to her, a small gesture of kindness, and she took it as a huge affront. She seems awful.

by Anonymousreply 87January 16, 2022 1:16 PM

They are all over the place in NYC, some upfront and others cagey.

A 35 year old, single publicist at my old job was always joining the group kvetching about low salary and high rent, yet she lived alone in a one bedroom in a white glove building, always wore the best shoes and boots, and attended charity dinners, like the big one the Robin Hood foundation held annually

I knew another frumpy, humorous late 20-something at the museum my bf worked in. When she turned 30, her fund activated and she quit her job. She know has a glam squad and writes poetry.

But the best was…my friend’s boyfriend broke up with her about 5 years ago. He is about 50 and I knew he had trust fund income and did not work, but only lately is she willing to get specific about how much: about $450,000 a year. It came up because I expressed surprise that he is still—5 years later—paying for her health plan. “Oh, it’s a drop in the bucket for him,” she said, then told me the number.

by Anonymousreply 88January 16, 2022 1:24 PM

[quote]That story about why she doesn't want a doorman bummed me out. The guy was just trying to be nice to her, a small gesture of kindness, and she took it as a huge affront. She seems awful.

I kind can of see her point - people knowing your business. On the other hand, a person that seems kind & looks out for your is hard to find anywhere, never mind the big cruel city. She should feel fortunate he didn't say "well, you seem to have a nice personality (throat clears), I'm sure you'll find another victim...uh, I mean boyfriend"

by Anonymousreply 89January 16, 2022 1:39 PM

She's playing the fucking banjo?????

by Anonymousreply 90January 16, 2022 1:53 PM

All of the buyers in this column inevitably work in marketing or "brand management" for a start-up, though two years ago they profiled a 28-yo male flight attendant who had a million bucks to blow on a 1-bedroom condo on the LES thanks to parental help.

by Anonymousreply 91January 16, 2022 2:03 PM

I am a bit surprised at how many adults here are talking about taking money from their parents and grandparents.

They are acting like having that kind of financial resource is common.

And I am thinking, should you not be the one giving money to your retired elders?

by Anonymousreply 92January 16, 2022 5:17 PM

[quote]And I am thinking, should you not be the one giving money to your retired elders?

This is a Millennial thing, mooching off your elders and living beyond your means. And they are going to be shit out of luck in a decade or two when those parents develop dementia and other illnesses and require long-term care. All that money they think they are going to inherit is going to disappear real fast.

by Anonymousreply 93January 16, 2022 7:36 PM

The male looks like a doofus. He doesn't seem like the type who has what it takes to earn 400K a year in sales.

by Anonymousreply 94January 16, 2022 7:38 PM

Actually reading R83's post -- I'm wrong. The guy could be a geek who works in software sales. In that case the appearance would fit.

Although these two do come across as a bit fey in the article -- not types who set the world on fire. But we don't actually know them, do we?

by Anonymousreply 95January 16, 2022 7:44 PM

The hatred for these two people displayed on this thread is a poison that burns my very soul.

by Anonymousreply 96January 16, 2022 7:55 PM

[QUOTE] My impression from reading many articles like this is the author knows someone who knows them, and thus doesn’t have to do any legwork or actual reporting to find someone to write about.

Agree. There was an article a few years ago about people who grew up in Manhattan and how traumatic it was when they had to move to Brooklyn, Queens, etc (for whatever reason) as adults. The ones profiled in the article were all the same type of person and it was clear they were part of the author's social circle.

by Anonymousreply 97January 16, 2022 8:02 PM

I can't believe there are posters here actually acting like parents giving money for their kids to buy a property is a new thing millennials are responsible for. There's literally nothing the eldergays here won't twist into a reason to whine about millennials is there?

by Anonymousreply 98January 16, 2022 8:10 PM

It's the wealth disparity. That's what galls. A small percentage are holding all the cards. It's getting worse.

by Anonymousreply 99January 16, 2022 8:19 PM

I look forward to this section and usually enjoy it. i'm always shocked over the prices, and the budgets. This particular couple was highly annoying on so many levels- when I read she was feeling violated by the doorman because he noticed her BF wasn't visiting and actually bought her a gift.....what a self-important twat. Well, good luck to them, but I hope they don't procreate.

by Anonymousreply 100January 16, 2022 8:32 PM

I laughed so hard at that picture in OP's post that I felt like I was going to pass out.

by Anonymousreply 101January 16, 2022 8:41 PM

Nevermind the trust funds, how do they find such a lot of motherfucking ugly people?

One might think that the principal subjects of their profiles, people in their late 20s and their 30s stand a statistical reasonable chance if not being hideous mutants. But no.

by Anonymousreply 102January 16, 2022 8:41 PM

That is quite a Rubenesque gunt! She was definitely born in the wrong era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 16, 2022 8:51 PM

Lol, R36, I am 95% of the time annoyed and frustrated by multiple people underfoot while I'm cooking/baking/prepping.

I have one sister who has a bad habit of eating in the kitchen while people are trying to cook (plus she cooks like Elly May Clampett, so she's no help to me); and another sister who is obsessed with all the stuff at my home that she cannot stop herself from gorging on while she's visiting Dad and me ("Oh, y'all keep so much *bad* food around here; my Crossfit & Silver Sneakers trainers are gonna be so mad at me when I get home!"). In my head I'm like, just because the stuff is in the house doesn't mean 1) I bought it for you, or 2) anyone's FORCING you to eat all the "bad" food that I've had in the pantry for 5-6 goddamn months without being tempted by it.

It's funny how many noncooks think they're doing Cook a favor by hanging out in the kitchen while I have 4 burners, a microwave, a toaster oven, and the oven/broiler going; plus measuring, chopping, marinating, etc, etc, etc. Helpful hint: they're not. In fact I enjoy listening to all the crosstalk from guests' conversation threads while I'm cooking.

BUT

I would NEVER say that to any reporter.

by Anonymousreply 104January 16, 2022 8:52 PM

R45 dulcimers and medieval studies would have the potential to actually benefit someone.

by Anonymousreply 105January 16, 2022 10:14 PM

[quote] should you not be the one giving money to your retired elders?

Not if your "retired elders" have a whole lot of money already.

Did this really not cross your mind? Do you think people are taking money from parents living on fixed incomes in the 1500 square foot ranch house they bought in 1951?

by Anonymousreply 106January 16, 2022 11:08 PM

[quote] There's literally nothing the eldergays here won't twist into a reason to whine about millennials is there?

No, there is not.

by Anonymousreply 107January 16, 2022 11:10 PM

Our Amish Jew does not work in "software sales" R83 and R95

He works for a company that "connects clients with vetted subject matter experts—Advisors—from our global professional network." There are a number of these companies out there that arrange calls with "experts." They pay the experts $250/hour and charge their clients $500. I suspect their goal is to try and get bigger companies to pay them a monthly retainer for X number of expert hours.

And seriously R83--if he worked at Google or Facebook, we would not be rolling our eyes at his potential ability to afford an apartment at that price point.

by Anonymousreply 108January 16, 2022 11:17 PM

I’m amazed at the people making excuses for the article R108. If he or she earned it, they earned it, good for them.

Talking about window dressings on a $1.25M apartment is just unseemly. Especially for all those Starbucks employees who probably leaf the the paper on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 109January 16, 2022 11:24 PM

[quote] My impression from reading many articles like this is the author knows someone who knows them, and thus doesn’t have to do any legwork or actual reporting to find someone to write about.

Sometimes, though mostly the realtors, who always get mentioned (favorably and in detail) in the story and consider it free advertising, offer them up.

To wit, from the above piece

[quote] There they encountered Lucas Callejas, an agent at Triplemint, who helped them define their goals. “He would say, ‘You don’t want a spiral staircase, and here are the reasons why,’” Ms. Brownstein said.

by Anonymousreply 110January 16, 2022 11:34 PM

These people are MAJORLY unlikeable.

by Anonymousreply 111January 16, 2022 11:58 PM

a reminder again: Mostly younger white people will be inheriting $1 trillion in real estate wealth as the baby boomers die off. This comes from properties that their parents owned and will be sold off.

by Anonymousreply 112January 16, 2022 11:59 PM

Or not R111

They most certainly come off that way in the article.

But as noted above, these articles seem to go out of their way to make these people seem that way and highlight the things that are most disagreeable about them.

by Anonymousreply 113January 17, 2022 12:02 AM

[QUOTE] But as noted above, these articles seem to go out of their way to make these people seem that way and highlight the things that are most disagreeable about them.

It's all just to get people arguing with each other in the "comments" section. NYT isn't the only publication that does this.

by Anonymousreply 114January 17, 2022 12:08 AM

Robby Benson earned his money the hard way.

by Anonymousreply 115January 17, 2022 1:22 AM

I read this column every week--it's fun trying to guess which home they'll choose, even if, as pointed out above, the author seldom plays fair--and I have to disagree with the idea that the writer always goes out of her way to make them seem unlikable or highlights their disagreeable traits. Some of the people featured seem perfectly harmless, and occasionally very nice. There was a young family looking in the Bronx a few months back I remember seeming adorable. This was the first one in a while where I came away thinking these people are simply awful.

Though there was a guy in the similar Renters column a while back I thought was pretty unbearable and almost posted here at the time. He found some ridiculously expensive apartment in Brooklyn and I couldn't figure out what his actual job was, or how he could afford it on what they said his job was (like, a tutor or music instructor or something)...

by Anonymousreply 116January 17, 2022 1:22 AM

Found it. It was this guy who's a math tutor with a vegan cookie business, paying $2325/month (or $3100 with 3 months free).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 17, 2022 1:26 AM

[quote] It's all just to get people arguing with each other in the "comments" section.

Only there is no "Comments" section for this particular column. Which is odd, because, to your point, it would seem like people would enjoy arguing over which place they should have taken.

by Anonymousreply 118January 17, 2022 1:33 AM

R117. As rent day drew near I'd offer to give Matthew two crisp $20 bills to sit on my face while he mangled some weepy song on his (soon to be mounted on the wall) guitar, AND buy a dozen cookies on the way out.

Every little bit helps.

by Anonymousreply 119January 17, 2022 8:48 AM

[quote]It was this guy who's a math tutor with a vegan cookie business

In other words, living off mommy and daddy while pretending to be independent

by Anonymousreply 120January 17, 2022 2:44 PM

No trust funds involved here, two young fraus managed to find a comparatively cheap two bedroom rent regulated apartment in Williamsburg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121January 18, 2022 9:36 AM

You found the needle in the haystack, R121: two subjects of an NYT real estate profile piece who seem bright and pleasantly ingenious. The article barely touches on their personal lives, no mention of who their parents are or name drops of important friends or trust funds, and no embarrassing reveals. And unlike those Pseudo Amish FUPAs, you wouldn't need to to cover your eyes or cross the street if you say the walking in your direction.

by Anonymousreply 122January 18, 2022 9:54 AM

There’s a NYT paywall. please post the part of the story about the weird doorman! TIA!

by Anonymousreply 123January 18, 2022 1:11 PM

R123, here's the main body of the text. Note that this pasty duo unsurprisingly had more don't wants than wants; they seem the type to shape any discussion by a list of things they don't like.

I had hoped for a better reasoning behind the fear of doormen, but it's just "an amusing anecdote" (i.e., snoozer of a boring story) wherein a doorman once fleetingly mistook them as people with lives ever so slightly less sad than in reality.

[quote]For nearly eight years, Nicole Brownstein and Zack Rhodes were mostly OK with their fifth-floor walk-up on the Upper West Side.

[quote]The couple paid $2,350 a month for a sunny one-bedroom overlooking other people’s backyards. For counter space, they balanced a cutting board on the sink. The hot water cut out regularly, sometimes for weeks, so they’d shower at friends’ places or the gym.

[quote]They were fine until the pandemic hit, “and then things became unbearable,” said Ms. Brownstein, 32. Both were constantly on the phone for work, and they felt trapped inside by the 79 steps.

[quote]“You wish you could rappel out the window,” said Mr. Rhodes, 33.

[quote]Shortly before their wedding four years ago, they considered buying a place in Inwood, at the northern tip of Manhattan. There they encountered Lucas Callejas, an agent at Triplemint, who helped them define their goals. “He would say, ‘You don’t want a spiral staircase, and here are the reasons why,’” Ms. Brownstein said.

[quote]At that point, the couple couldn’t afford more than a one-bedroom. So they waited and watched the market, while their incomes and their budget rose. Ms. Brownstein handles external communications for a city agency, while Mr. Rhodes is in sales at a market research company.

[quote]They hoped to remain on the Upper West Side, but not too far south. “I am not a fan of the area around Lincoln Center,” Mr. Rhodes said. “I find it soulless.”

[quote]They wanted a building with history and a story to tell, and were eager for a dining area where they could have dinner parties, although they preferred a narrow galley kitchen that would discourage guests from volunteering to help. “They distract you, and then you burn something, or they are standing in front of the drawer with the utensil you need,” Ms. Brownstein said.

[quote]They also weren’t keen on having a doorman. Ms. Brownstein’s first city apartment was in Kips Bay Towers, with round-the-clock doormen. Once, when Mr. Rhodes was sick — he was living in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, with roommates at the time — he was unable to visit her for days. “The doorman brought me a chocolate bar and said, ‘I am so sorry about your breakup,’” Ms. Brownstein said. “I said, ‘No, he has the flu.’ The doormen know too much about you.”

[quote]For a sunny two-bedroom, one-bathroom co-op apartment within their budget — up to $1.3 million — they knew they would have to head north. During their search, they found that natural light came at a premium. But “we are looking at this apartment as a forever home,” Mr. Rhodes said.

Short sentences that begin with "They..." or that have "they" as the second word seem to be the formula for "The Hunt."

by Anonymousreply 124January 18, 2022 1:25 PM

The Financial Times has a whole section like this (How To Afford It), but even THAT has a bit of a sense of humor about itself.

by Anonymousreply 125January 18, 2022 1:28 PM

On first seeing the photo I thought it was of a lesbian couple.

by Anonymousreply 126January 18, 2022 1:30 PM

The vegan math tutor reminded me of.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127January 18, 2022 1:31 PM

r122, I would say the split between the terrible subjects and not-terrible ones is split at least 50/50. For instance, here's a low-income single mother and domestic violence survivor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128January 18, 2022 2:02 PM

Another single mother looking for a rental

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129January 18, 2022 2:03 PM

On the other hand, there are these gays who I think we discussed before. They may not be rich, but they do seem to be a lot.

“Everyone calls me coach Chris on the street. I’m friends with all my gym boys. The running joke is that I’m the mayor of the gay mafia,” he said, laughing before adding under his breath, “I think it’s true.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130January 18, 2022 2:05 PM

This story is nice though, and is a bit reassuring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131January 18, 2022 2:06 PM

I've never seen such an unattractive group of people. Here I'm a 7 but there- a New York 10. Bring it on!

by Anonymousreply 132January 18, 2022 2:26 PM

R117, I could not understand how he could afford such a high rent as a math tutor. But when I saw his parents lived in Coral Gables, I realized they had enough money to support him--maybe even set up a trust fund...

by Anonymousreply 133January 18, 2022 11:54 PM

R133: Looking at real estate listings, Coral Gables has three houses for sale in the $50M range, but it also has 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condos for sale for $300K, and half of the housing for sale is under $1M. It's a place with some decidedly rich people, but hardly all of them. The median income is $44,800 (Manhattan and DC are $50K, San Francisco $52.6K, Chicago $31.6K, Detroit $19.8K so it's more than respectable, but...)

by Anonymousreply 134January 19, 2022 9:46 AM

R133/R134 - inheritance from grandparents, wealthy aunt and uncle, accident settlement--there are a lot of ways he could have money. Does not have to be a big sum too-- $100K will keep him going for several years

by Anonymousreply 135January 19, 2022 11:35 AM

The story at R131 is actually quite sweet; I was touched by how much he missed community during the pandemic when I was relieved to have a reason not to socialize!

by Anonymousreply 136January 19, 2022 12:06 PM

This week's The Hunt subject isn't rich, and I'm assuming is gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137February 12, 2022 7:34 AM

What a sad middle aged lesbian couple. They are nowhere near as fabulous or avant-garde (or murderous) as The Dykes Downstairs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138February 12, 2022 8:02 AM

R137, that's a surprisingly practical and straightforward tale, and a choice among relatively like apartments. Not the usual NYT story about peeves and neuroses and hints about the parents paying for half the cost upfront.

by Anonymousreply 139February 12, 2022 8:32 AM

The NY Times What a rag!

by Anonymousreply 140February 12, 2022 8:36 AM

Hudson Heights along with Inwood and Washington Heights is a rather lovely area in most spots.

Considered beyond the pale for many in Manhattan who wouldn't even consider Harlem back in day (now that's far as many will go), Hudson Heights and points further north were saved from intense gentrification for most part. But as with rest of city that slowly is changing as those searching for affordable housing but want to stay in Manhattan are pushing ever northward.

Not without good reason for Hudson Heights et al, there is a very good supply of prewar, Art Deco and other decent housing up there, good amount at affordable rents or prices.

Am not surprised guy profiled in NYT piece linked in R137 lived up there and chose to remain. Actors, performing artists, theatre people and or those adjacent long have discovered Hudson Heights et al.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141February 12, 2022 12:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!