Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Price and total "cost" of "fast fashion"

Today I'm wearing a new winter down coat I bought in the summer online during the Zara sales. It is long, has a two way heavy zipper, zipping pockets and a hood. It's generously filled with real "down", not polyester. I know the difference. It's silvery blue and looks great with my grey hair. The use value of the coat is high. I paid 25 bucks, new, super sold. It's Chinese crap. I wonder if Zara made a profit even at the end of the sale. Shipping this all the way to Spain Europe and selling on super markdown for 25 bucks.

Why do I support fast fashion? I know, and it isn't pretty.

I'm what Marx warned about. I didn't need this coat.

Do you think about such overconsumption and the environmental and human cost?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2022 5:01 PM

Marxists have two things on their minds: Revolution and fucking.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2022 4:22 PM

[quote]It's generously filled with real "down", not polyester. I know the difference. It's silvery blue and looks great with my grey hair.

So much [italic]Mary![/italic]

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2022 4:28 PM

My shopping habit is driven by my OCD. I see something and I must have it. I don't particularly like paying hundreds extra so an Italian worker gets paid much more per hour than a Chinese one does. The Chinese person need the works and there are plenty of other people who will manufacture the goods if he doesn't. I pay $2000 for a jacket because it's the one that I want, the style, material etc. I also pay $60 for Zara or H&M because they may have an item that I am looking for that I can't find elsewhere. I try not to overbuy simply because I don't have the space and I hate clutter. I don't like high fashion unless it's at deep discount (Gucci, Saint Laurent, Prada). The High fashion prices are no where near the actual value of the product and when you understand that after a certain price point you aren't paying for quality and exclusivity, you are paying for just the name and nothing else. The people who devour fast fashion don't give a shit about landfills and underpaid workers, they just want their ass to look good and hopefully attract some hot ass while they are out showing it off.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2022 5:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!