Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Degrassi Reboot Ordered at HBO Max

The Degrassi franchise is making a comeback.

HBO Max on Thursday confirmed a series order for Degrassi, which will consist of 10 hour-long episodes and premiere in 2023.

The new series hails from showrunners Lara Azzopardi (The Bold Type, Mary Kills People) and Julia Cohen (Riverdale, A Million Little Things, The Royals), and is described as “a reprise of the original teen drama” that will focus on a new group of teenagers and school faculty “living in the shadow of events that both bind them together and tear them apart.” The show will travel “deep into the hearts and homes of diverse, complicated characters, as they struggle to find their new normal, reaching for hope, redemption and love,” according the official logline. Production is set to commence in Toronto this summer.

“What excites us maybe the most about reviving this beloved franchise is turning it into a truly serialized one-hour drama,” Azzopardi and Cohen said in a statement. “We’re honored to be given the opportunity to lead this evolution and bring this iconic series back into people’s homes.”

The new Degrassi marks the sixth series in the Canadian teen drama franchise, following The Kids of Degrassi Street (1979-1986), Degrassi Junior High (1987-1989), Degrassi High (1989-1991), Degrassi: The Next Generation (2001-2015) and Degrassi: Next Class (2016-2017).

In addition to HBO Max, episodes of the new Degrassi will also air on Cartoon Network at a later date. HBO Max, meanwhile, has licensed the U.S. streaming rights to all 14 seasons of Next Generation, which will become available on the platform at an as-yet-specified date this spring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2022 3:25 PM

Cartoon Network? WTF. Also why HBO Max if it's for teens?

Also, this franchise was groundbreaking in the 80s and had a nice revival in the 2000s. But I feel nothing new can be offered through another revival. Plus will this reboot be Canadian as hell as the previous series were. That was also part of its charm.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2022 3:23 AM

Just hope the reboot is as gay as the original, especially if they're going to rerun later on Cartoon Network.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2022 3:44 AM

I loved Marco as a gay teen in the 2000s and also Maxxie from Skins. There was also a lesbian soap called South of Nowhere that aired on The N.

The writing on TNG was not the best but I appreciated the gay representation. The 80s original though was better about racial diversity and realism. Because the 2000s cast were all very goodlooking and after awhile the plots got more and more soapy ridiculous. I do appreciate the age appropriate casting. American teen shows tend to cast older.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2022 12:41 PM

Oh god. This is gonna be Trans High version.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2022 12:50 PM

In the original the kids wore their own clothes. And it was groundbreaking dealing with issues like abortion. As a kid I felt it was honest and real. The reboot, featuring Adam Ruggiero as Marco, was quite nice, but felt a little bit too polished, too family friendly, for me. But I do remember how posters on IMDB mocked certain scenes like Drake's squeal when Jimmy is getting shot in the back during the school shooting episode.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2022 1:10 PM

Watch them add a ton of lesbians but zero gays (as in male).

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2022 2:25 PM

The abortion episode was originally banned in The US too. The American TV broadcaster The N censored many scenes to please the moral guardians. Canadian TV is more lax even for it's children's shows.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2022 3:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!