Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did Anyone See the New "Scream" Movie Tonight?

If so, is it as good as the trailer? I want to see it, but am not sure about going to the theater. Should I wait until it's on demand next month?

by Anonymousreply 155February 8, 2023 11:19 PM

They always come back....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2022 2:01 AM

Yes. They need to just stop with this series. It’s so tired. The lead has all the charisma of kim Kardashian. That’s an insult. Neve and Cox are barely in it despite their prominent role on the press tour. The killer is totally predictable if you happened to have seen another big movie in the past three years. Ugh. The directors have no idea how to stage a suspense sequence. 1-3 are light years better than this tripe.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2022 7:47 AM

The trailer looked like shit.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2022 8:23 AM

Is Courtney Cock in it?

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2022 8:47 AM

It’s dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2022 8:49 AM

It's enjoyable but nothing you haven't seen before. Extremely gory if you're into that. The young leads don't make much impression and the legacy cast isn't in it as much as I would have liked. Lots of callbacks to the earlier films. There's a lot of humor which is nice. I enjoyed it much more than either of the recent Halloween movies but I know a lot of people love those reboots so YMMV.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2022 9:01 AM

Well they need to use the legacy acts to promote it. That is the films selling point. But it was also pretty clear that this is setting up a new younger cast to take over the franchise, and use the legacy cast as supporting. Also, the legacy cast (mostly Neve) only agreed to do it after reading the screenplay and script and she liked the size of her role. It’s always nice to be most paid with limited screen time.

You can’t have the same three be around forever. Part of the criticism of 4 was how the legacy cast was still in the lead roles and still didn’t die. At least one needed to die but they kept them around still, which makes it feel like there is no real danger to them so it gets boring.

Campbell said Arquette has the most to do out of the three and it made her excited. She said this one allows him to shine more. So I knew the two women were going to be in it less. And I’m fine with less Gale.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2022 9:43 AM

[quote]Is Courtney Cock in it?

No, but someone wearing a bizarre rubber Courtney Cox mask is in it. Truly the most terrifying part of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2022 9:45 AM

I totally get that and have no issue with passing the torch to a new cast, r7. My complaint is they needed to make the new generation characters more interesting/appealing. The only one that stood out for me was Jack Quaid and he was on the older end of the new “young” cast. Maybe that’s an old fogey complaint, though. Maybe a younger audience will like them/identify with them.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2022 7:30 PM

I’ve seen all Scream movies in the theatre (the first two came out when I was in high school!) so I was there last night to see this one. My verdict: the best one since #2, with reservations. It is very funny, but there isn’t even one memorable scary/suspenseful sequence, which the last two had. Some staging & timing issues too. But Jenna Ortega & Jack Quaid were terrific.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2022 7:44 PM

Jack Quaid is great in it. So cute, too.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2022 7:45 PM

[quote] It is very funny, but there isn’t even one memorable scary/suspenseful sequence

The only one that came close (for me) was the scene where one of the characters keeps opening/closing different doors and you expect Ghostface to appear behind one. But there’s no real payoff to that so it ends up just being a tease.

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2022 8:17 PM

If you liked the previous Scream movies, then you won't be disappointed.

It has the gore and humor like the previous films.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2022 8:28 PM

I heard there’s some shirtless shower scene with Daniel Minnette, please post screen shots if you have them.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2022 9:08 PM

After a clunky start, this film kept getting better. It is true what some say, it rates right below the original. The goriest of all five films and perhaps the most "realistic" when it comes to the emotions depicted onscreen, this was made with so much appreciation and detail to the entire franchise. It's quite clever and throws in a low-key theme of unity in feminism and barbs against anti-vaxxers. I found myself tearing up many times (when Gayle and Dewey reunite; Dewey's final scene; and moments in the last five minutes or so).

I didn't think the acting amongst the new cast-members was all that great at times. I had RIchie clocked from the beginning, but that's okay. I wish they got someone better than Jack Quaid to play him (I guess people in this thread liked him). Melissa Barrera (Sam) bugged me at times as well. And Sonia Ammar (Liv) was kind of terrible. But, Jenna Ortega (Tara) was absolutely adorable and was of the strongest casting decisions since the original cast. She sold that final line about The Babadook. If they do another movie, I would look forward to seeing her. And I didn't mind the two who played the twins as well.

The killer unmasking felt satisfying. Obviously it couldn't stack up to the original, but in a tradition of fun reveals, this worked. I also thought the opening "kill" was brilliant in that it was unexpected and subverted expectations (it's not an opening kill).

Whilst I wanted to see this film in a theatre, a packed house--the way a Scream film should be seen--is antithetical right now to living in times of covid. But, I'm glad I saw it before I accidentally came across any spoilers. If you are a fan of the franchise and/or enjoyed the movies, you will certainly have a good time with this one. :)

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2022 12:02 AM

Did Kevin Williams write this one? What happened to his career, why didn’t he become as big as Ryan Murphy?

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2022 12:19 AM

Is Skket Ulrich back in this one?

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2022 12:43 AM

[quote] Did Kevin Williams write this one?

No.

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2022 12:45 AM

I liked it….there is a running joke about “elevated horror movies” and this is one of them…in contrast to the Halloween films which have gotten to be as subtle as a chainsaw…there was a live Q&A with Williamson, Arquette and one of the directors moderated by Christopher Landon at the end of the screening…Arquette was emotional about his character’s story as kind of reflecting his real life….Arquette came across almost childlike and a little sad…

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2022 1:11 AM

No gay sex in this one.

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2022 1:20 AM

[quote] But, I'm glad I saw it before I accidentally came across any spoilers.

Said at the end of your spoiler-filled post

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2022 2:09 AM

That’s what I want to know, R16. He was everywhere in the 90’s and then stopped writing movies. PTSD from the Weinsteins?

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2022 8:03 AM

Kevin is mainly known for The Vampire Diaries and other CW shows to the youngins.

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2022 11:15 AM

This movie has EVERYTHING! A latina lead, a cripple who also happens to be latina, a black guy, a lesbian who also happens to be black, a male shower, a possible tranny and three legacy characters in the original setting. Yet it still sucks. The motive was LAME. Joshua Jackson cousin? was okay. Joaquin Phoenix's cousin? could've had a better death scene. Melissa Villasenor's cousin? was the fucking worst.

by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2022 1:23 AM

Does Drew reprise her role?

by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2022 1:30 AM

Did she have the cast on her new talk show? Or was that canceled already?

by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2022 1:39 AM

It had a great Friday opening at $13 million. And they wisely kept the budget low at $24 million, so it will make some money. Which sadly means there's also a good chance they'll keep making them.

Someone put on the movie's Wikipedia page that with its opening night total it is now the second highest grossing film of 2022. That's some fucking dedicated PR lackeying.

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2022 1:43 AM

Does Drew, whose character died in the first 5 minutes of the first film, reprise her role?!

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2022 1:44 AM

So this has zombie characters of killed people from the earlier films?

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2022 2:10 AM

No, R28. But [MAJOR SPOILER] a dead character from the first does return as their original character [END SPOILER].

And boy is it cringe.

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2022 2:12 AM

SPOILER - who was the bitch that let Billy Loomis fuck her raw? Lucky cunt.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2022 2:30 AM

R24 of course the lesbian character not only survived but is lesbian only to titillate straight men, they literally have her making out with a girl, whose not even a character (she has no lines) but is just an object within minutes of her announcing she’s a lesbian

This would never happen with a gay male character, despite the series being created by a gay man, it’s a huge disrespect to him, as he wanted to have it be that Billy and Stu were lovers but the studio wouldn’t allow it

Male homosexuality and bisexuality is still the big taboo

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2022 5:57 AM

I didn’t mind it so much because I liked Mindy’s character. And I liked even more that she called out all the woke horror shit. If anyone earned the right to be an over the top lesbian, it was her.

But yeah a full on secret gay couple Ghostface team would be awesome.

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2022 6:01 AM

R33 Halloween Kills did have that older gay couple, but they weren’t even allowed to kiss, see it’s not really progress it’s tha same bullshit, lesbians are allowed to be hot and kiss women and kick ass and survive, gay men can be used for comic relief but have absolutely no sexuality with the same sex and must die a violent, brutal death

It’s anti gay male shit being disguised as pro LGBTQ, basically the Democratic Party lately

And it’s let’s not offend the straight people

Nothing has really changed

I mean Mindy’s jockish twin brother , Chad, couldn’t be gay?

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2022 6:10 AM

Did most of the Friends cast get cameos in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2022 6:25 AM

Yeah, R35. Matt Perry’s blown out Opiod shitter plays the part of one of the victim’s bodies.

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2022 7:44 AM

R21, you don't come into a thread asking if anyone has seen the film and "accidentally" come across spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 37January 16, 2022 11:20 AM

I feel Awful for Kevin Williamson. Harvey Weinstein butchered and had his his script for scream rewritten and he was completely left out of this one.

by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2022 11:44 AM

*scream 4

by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2022 11:45 AM

Scream 3 is so underrated

Parker Posey made that movie

by Anonymousreply 40January 16, 2022 12:13 PM

The new kids were just awful. Blah characters and crappy acting and no presence. I remember seeing the first one and not knowing who Skeet Ulrich, Rose McGowan or Jamie Kennedy were (I recognized Matthew Lillard from Serial Mom) but their performances stayed with me.

by Anonymousreply 41January 16, 2022 12:15 PM

Not true, R38. The rights holders tried very hard to get him to write the script but he said he had moved on. He has been a very public producer on this project even though he’s been damning it with faint praise since production ended.

by Anonymousreply 42January 16, 2022 2:35 PM

It was awful. Also as much as I tried I don't care about the new characters at all. All I wanted to see were Dewey, Gail and Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 43January 16, 2022 2:44 PM

See I’m the opposite r43. I’m bored of them and never found any of the three that compelling to begin with.

R41 why would you know they names of those newcomers? Scream is what launched their careers.

by Anonymousreply 44January 16, 2022 2:53 PM

One thing I didn't get was that Sidney says it all started because of Billy Loomis but it really started because of her brother Roman.

by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2022 6:10 PM

And no respect for DEBBIE

by Anonymousreply 46January 16, 2022 6:14 PM

R15... How did you get to see it? It's not streaming yet, correct?

by Anonymousreply 47January 16, 2022 10:06 PM

R47, that's correct. It's not streaming on traditional platforms.

My Top 20 Scream characters

1. Sydney Prescott (Neve Campbell)

2. Gale Weathers (Courtney Cox)

3. Deputy Dewey Riley (David Arquette)

4. Jennifer Jolie (Parker Posey, Scream 3) (deserved a more memorable final scene)

5. Tatum Riley (Rose McGowan, Scream)

6. Jill Roberts (Emma Roberts Scream 4)

7. Debbie Salt (Laurie Metcalf, Scream 2)

8. Randy Meeks (Jamie Kennedy, Scream 1/2/"3")

9. Billy Loomis (Skeet Ulrich, Scream 1, "5")

10. Stu Macher (Matthew Lillard, Scream)

11. Tara Carpenter (Jenny Ortega, Scream 5)

12. Mickey (Timothy Olyphant, Scream 2)

13. Cici (Sarah Michelle Gellar, Scream 2)

14. Deputy Judy Hicks (Marley Shelton, Scream 4/5)

15. Cotton Weary (Liev Schreiber, Scream "1"/2/3

16. Kirby Reed (Hayden Panettiere, Scream 4)

17. Bianca (Carrie Fisher, Scream 3)

18. Maureen (Jada Pinkett-Smith, Scream 2)

19. Rachel + Chloe (Anna Paquin + Kristen Bell, Screm 4)

20. Martha Meeks (Heather Matarazzo (Scream 3, 5)

Top Opening Kills

1. Scream (Casey Becker)

2. Scream 2 (Double Kill: Maureen and Phil)

3. Scream 5 (Kill Homage to Original + Kill That Isn't a Kill: Tara)

4. Scream 4 (Kill within a kill within a kill ... )

5. Scream 3 (Double Kill + Legacy Character Kill: Cotton Weary+girlfriend)

Top Killer Motives

1. Scream

2. Scream 2

3. Scream 3, 4, 5

I wish Scream 5 could have brought Kirby back in a more pronounced role. Apparently, she was referenced in various Easter eggs.

by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2022 6:08 AM

R20 I can't trust your list when you include HEATHER MATARAZZO (who is delightful in many things, but fairly pointless in Scream) and don't include Jasmin Savoy Brown and/or Jack Quaid.

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2022 6:32 AM

R49, Jasmin Savoy Brown would be right outside my Top 20. Ask me again, and she might sneak into it! I also love Dawn Wiener Dog, so I'm biased!

As far as Quaid, I just didn't care for him. I saw him coming from the get-go. And I don't think he was very good. :(. Sorry . :(

Ranked Killers

1. Billy Loomis (Scream)

2. Jill Roberts (Scream 4)

3. Stu Macher (Scream)

4. Debby Salt (Scream 2)

5. Mickey Altieri (Scream 2)

6. Roman Bridger (Scream 3)

7. Amber Freeman (Scream 5)

7. Charlie Walker (Scream 4)

9. Richie Kirsch (Scream 5

by Anonymousreply 50January 17, 2022 7:08 AM

Jill wasn’t a believable killer and the main reason was Emma’s ridiculous acting.

Scream 4 has the worst acting out of the entire franchise (although I like the movie).

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2022 7:25 AM

Scream 3 is so underrated, almost every line is mocking or poking fun at Hollywood

It may have been “too inside” for the average flyover Walmart shopper and went over their heads

Parker Posey owns the films too

by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2022 7:32 AM

Parker Posey’s performance was trashed and still gets hate to this day from many. I always like when I see some people show appreciation for her over the top camp performance.

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2022 7:36 AM

R53 her performance is widely praised as the highlight of the film

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2022 7:38 AM

R50 I love her in many things, but Martha Meeks could be played by anyone. It's a nothing character. Weiner Dog forever!

Mason Gooding is very hot, but his character should've died.

by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2022 7:40 AM

R54 by critics when it came out? No. By fans? Mostly no. DL doesn’t speak for most people.

by Anonymousreply 56January 17, 2022 7:42 AM

R56 I work in horror and spend a lot of time around fans. Jennifer Jolie is loved.

by Anonymousreply 57January 17, 2022 7:47 AM

r34 Horror and especially thrillers, generally play out to representing more traditional values. . . a good inversion to this trope is Cherry Falls.

however horror/thrillers/suspense relies on gimmicks over stories. thrillers generally give way to mindless gore, horror collapses in on itself often losing it's own mythos in the process and suspense becomes too invested in trying to provide it's ah-ha moments - the grand twist where the only suspsenseful moments are akin to a jack n box. thus the majority are shit.

by Anonymousreply 58January 17, 2022 7:56 AM

R53 you’re joking right? It’s universally praised even Kevin Williamson, who didn’t watch 3 until years later, said he loved Parker Posey in it

Parker also won the Fangoria Chainsaw award for Bedt Supporting Actress in a horror film for this film I. 2001

Most people loved her in this, even people who didn’t like the movie

by Anonymousreply 59January 17, 2022 8:09 AM

The best part was when ghost face (of course) jumps on Neve’s back and it’s just like “let’s go” and she’s tussling with the fucker like it’s nothing and they roll off the stair landing.

by Anonymousreply 60January 17, 2022 8:24 AM

Where was Courtney Cox in this? Why did they recast Gail Weathers with Caitlyn Jenner?

by Anonymousreply 61January 17, 2022 8:48 AM

The resemblance is UNCANNY.

Or is that just the natural shape that older women’s face gets when it’s filled with fillers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 17, 2022 8:52 AM

Parker Posey was the best thing about Blade Trinity as well. Oh and Ryan Reynolds calling her a "cock juggling thunder cunt".

by Anonymousreply 63January 17, 2022 9:10 AM

Too many people survived at the end of this one.

by Anonymousreply 64January 17, 2022 12:19 PM

R59 at the time critics were not kind to the film, or her. You can cry all day, that’s the truth.

by Anonymousreply 65January 17, 2022 12:40 PM

Cherry Falls is the best of the Scream rip offs. It’s the only one that understood the dark tone and psychosexual elements.

The new Scream is more like the MTV series tonally — bland, superficial teen drama — but there are same great kills.

It’s a shame Cherry Falls is so hard to find these days.

by Anonymousreply 66January 17, 2022 12:51 PM

I watched Teaching Mrs. Tingle for the first time in years leading up to the new Scream. I was never a big fan of it and it hasn’t gotten better with age. It really showed how the best Williamson is done by Wes Craven. He brought sharp edges to elevated teen drama.

by Anonymousreply 67January 17, 2022 12:59 PM

Liked the little Easter Egg showing a link to a youtube video that interviews Kirby from part 4, proving she survived.

by Anonymousreply 68January 17, 2022 1:34 PM

R48, any suggestions on where one could stream Scream without having to wait until Paramount Plus decides to stream it? TIA!

by Anonymousreply 69January 17, 2022 8:42 PM

R69 youre unlikely to find a good copy before it hits VOD. Anything circling now will just be a cam recording out of China.

Go to a matinee.

by Anonymousreply 70January 17, 2022 8:44 PM

I liked it a lot. Neve didn't have too much to do, but when she did it was great. There were too many younger actors/actresses (potential victims/villains) that it was hard to keep track of who was who, but Jenna Ortega was terrific.

The *person*who showed up from the 1st movie was stupid; it was too literal, rather than suggested. Loved the Easter Egg about the character from 4 who didn't die--that was my favorite character in that movie (besides Sydney, Gail and Dewey).

The kills are pretty fucking brutal, though. And I liked the performer from Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, whose character in Scream has a similar arc to their role in the other movie.

by Anonymousreply 71January 17, 2022 9:54 PM

She looked like an alien.

by Anonymousreply 72January 17, 2022 10:08 PM

I liked it way more than I thought I would. Seeing the original trio come back tugged at my heart strings and at least they were given a halfway decent reason to return. The stakes were higher than they were in 3 and 4 and some of the new characters were amusing and others were really forgettable. What was the point of Kyle Gallner's character? He shows up, stalking the kids at school, then tries to start a fight with one of them, and is immediately murdered in the parking lot. Guess every movie needs one filler character who just exists to add to the body count.

I'd be fine if they left the series here for the time being until they get another second wind in a decade.

by Anonymousreply 73January 17, 2022 10:27 PM

The movie has already made more money than 4 did so a sequel is...very likely.

by Anonymousreply 74January 17, 2022 10:30 PM

I feel sorry for the kids today. They can’t just watch a horror movie without all this tedious “meta” shit. Williamson’s pop cult reference style both revived and ruined horror.

by Anonymousreply 75January 17, 2022 11:26 PM

The Quaid kid looks and sounds like Joshua Jackson.

Courtney Cox’s face was totally distracting.

by Anonymousreply 76January 17, 2022 11:51 PM

[quote] I'd be fine if they left the series here for the time being until they get another second wind in a decade.

That's what happened last time and we got the terrible Scream 4. But maybe the opening death could be Gale in her nursing home.

by Anonymousreply 77January 17, 2022 11:59 PM

I heard Courteney looked decent in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 78January 18, 2022 12:16 AM

R78 she looks better than she did in 4. She says she stopped fucking with her face in 2016/17. Some of the damage has been repaired.

by Anonymousreply 79January 18, 2022 12:17 AM

Courteney looked just fine in S5.

by Anonymousreply 80January 18, 2022 1:52 AM

The kills were good, and the film's sense of humor was great. Jack Quaid was good, but the trailer itself made it obvious he was the killer.

Ultimately, I didn't care for it. The movie's commentary on toxic fan culture was nothing new, and it seemed a little questionable since the film itself is mostly two hours of pandering to hardcore fans of the franchise.

I'm also tired of sequels to long-running franchises spending five minutes making meta-commentary and painfully unfunny jokes about the nature of sequels. This and "The Matrix Resurrections" leaned so heavily on the fourth wall, it became obnoxious. At worst, it comes across as the films lacking confidence in their own material and making it all seem like just a cash-in. If the cast and crew aren't taking the film seriously, then why should the audience.

by Anonymousreply 81January 18, 2022 2:17 AM

Not nearly as bad as Scream 3, but that's not saying much. It blew. The characters were lackluster forgettable generic gen-z'ers. The script/dialogue was cringe, it practically spoon fed you and over explained the entire franchise.

by Anonymousreply 82January 18, 2022 2:25 AM

^ My. Lawyer. Liked. That.

by Anonymousreply 83January 18, 2022 2:27 AM

Any movie, especially a horror movie, released in January is bound to be terrible. That's the time of year when movie studios dump all their stinkers.

by Anonymousreply 84January 18, 2022 2:40 AM

Why didn't they release it in December 2021 to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the original? Were they afraid of competition?

by Anonymousreply 85January 18, 2022 2:45 AM

R81 Scream has always been Meta.

R85 would you have wanted to go up against SpiderMan?

by Anonymousreply 86January 18, 2022 2:47 AM

So, was Kevin Williamson's script really rewritten by that fat slob loser illiterate Harvey Weinstein? I hadn't heard that before. I bet Kevin Williamson was pissed off. Harvey has about three brain cells in his head. I always thought that Kevin was a major participant in Screams 1,2 and 3. Is that not the case? Was he shut out of Screams 2 and 3? Plus, I can't believe that Courtney, Neve and David Arquette let Kevin be shut out of the new one. It was his idea, for god's sake! Why would they turn on him?

by Anonymousreply 87January 18, 2022 3:54 AM

"Harvey has about three brain cells in his head."

And all three are devoted to finding ways to rape women.

by Anonymousreply 88January 18, 2022 3:56 AM

R87 Kevin wrote 2. He was shut out of 3 because he was busy on his many many TV shows. 4 was a clusterfuck by all accounts, but started from a Kevin script. He was a producer and gave notes on 5. He's been very vocally supportive of it.

by Anonymousreply 89January 18, 2022 4:00 AM

I thought I could see Kevin's writing in both Scream 1 and 2. But what did Harvey rewrite in Scream 1?

by Anonymousreply 90January 18, 2022 4:06 AM

Harvey and Bob Weinstein brought in some hack to rewrite Kevin’s script for scream 4. that’s Why it turned out so bad Scream 1 and 2 were all him and Wes Craven.

by Anonymousreply 91January 18, 2022 4:15 AM

Are we sure that it wasn't Kevin Williamson's script for "Halloween H20" -- and not the first "Scream" -- that was rewritten by Weinstein? That's the one that seemed like it was reworked by a ham-fisted studio hack.

by Anonymousreply 92January 18, 2022 4:16 AM

Calm down. Williamson isn’t some genius beyond reproach.

by Anonymousreply 93January 18, 2022 4:59 AM

He makes some good points.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 18, 2022 5:47 AM

Trying to imagine a world where these two came out of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 18, 2022 6:40 AM

[quote]Trying to imagine a world where these two came out of her.

You're right R95. Matarazzo was born in 1982. It's hard to imagine a world where she has birthed actors born in 1995 give or take a year.

by Anonymousreply 96January 18, 2022 6:49 AM

R95 right? Highly unlikely lol

by Anonymousreply 97January 18, 2022 7:36 AM

R94, he's kinda cute for a MAGA.

by Anonymousreply 98January 18, 2022 12:50 PM

R98 You need your eyes checked.

by Anonymousreply 99January 18, 2022 1:02 PM

R98, why do you think he’s a MAGA?

by Anonymousreply 100January 18, 2022 7:15 PM

Harvey Weinstein was barely involved in the Scream movies beyond cashing the checks. Dimension was Bob’s baby. He didn’t write shit, he’d just grab a writer off a different project and make them work on the script. He ran a writer’s room of sorts for Mimic that people involved begrudgingly said made the final product better.

The Weinsteins were assholes but they had good taste and usually knew how to make a movie work. They weren’t always right but they also turned movies into hits that would’ve have broken so big without their influence.

If Scream 5 was a Weinstein production, the script would’ve been heavily rewritten and Melissa Barrera would’ve been fired once the first dailies showed up. And in all honesty, we probably would’ve gotten a much stronger movie.

Scream 3 is not a great Scream movie but it’s a hell of a lot more polished than Scream 5 is.

by Anonymousreply 101January 18, 2022 8:48 PM

R100, his whole video was bitching about wholeness and SJW influence on Hollywood and how oppressed straight white men are. If he isn’t MAGA he’s at least in the Joe Rohan/Ben Shapiro aggrieved white male army

by Anonymousreply 102January 18, 2022 11:52 PM

R100, look at his YouTube channel.

by Anonymousreply 103January 18, 2022 11:53 PM

^^that should be wokeness not wholeness above. Autocorrect

by Anonymousreply 104January 18, 2022 11:53 PM

Ehren Krueger‘a original Scream 3 script was a brutal satire and takedown on Hollywood

Wes Craven called it the best script he ever read but “it wasn’t Scream”

It was online about 10-15 years ago and there was this douchey Hollywood actor named Ben Damon (get the joke?) who had won an Oscar for writing GOOD WILLING HUNTER but was involved in a car accident due to his drunk driving that killed two people and his career now consists of him polishing his Oscar, drinking, waxing nostalgic about his glory days, he even quotes Norma Desmond, and taking parts in Grade B trash like Stab 3 (the movie within the movie)

He was supposed to be the opening kill and they were gonna go after a big name to play the character. As Ghostface chases him in his dumpy in Raseda, California (that’s a big inside joke right there) ,apartment, he runs back in to grab his “baby”, which we found out is his Oscar, as he gets stabbed he’s clenching his Oscar in his fist to the very end

Everyone loved the script but thought it was way too satiric, and inside jokey on Hollywood for the average slasher fan and that most jokes and the satire would go over their head

Parker Posey’s characters Jennifer Jolie was even more of a neurotic mess and after the Stab 3 cast finds out that their Oscar winning co star Ben Damon has been murdered, she yells “Im an award winning actor too, I have my People’s Choice Award, and it’s the most important award because it was voted on by the people!”

It was hilarious but way too “inside” kind of like The Comeback TV show for the average flyover horror fan

I mean Scream 3 is gay and campy enough but this would have taken it to the next evel

by Anonymousreply 105January 19, 2022 12:30 AM

R105 I wish someone could find it

by Anonymousreply 106January 19, 2022 12:38 AM

R106 if I remember correctly Sidney was in the film much more and was the “technical adviser” on Stab 3, they changed it because Neve’s schedule only allowed her to shoot for 3 weeks

Sarah Darling, Ben’s girlfriend , whose in the finished film played by Jenny McCarthy, was as suspect in Ben’s murder and she’s fucking the director Roman, who is also sleeping with Jennifer who has started coming on to Dewey, who is cast in a small role in the film After the first murder, Gale comes out to investigate and her and Jennifer go at it, Jennifer of course wants Dewy and is playing Gale in the Stab series

We found out more about Angelina Tyler , whose playing Sidney and she has an eating disorder and other secrets

The dialogue is much more bitchy, vicious and biting between Gale and Jennifer

by Anonymousreply 107January 19, 2022 12:45 AM

Apparently the next film is going to be a Scream x Predator crossover.

by Anonymousreply 108January 19, 2022 12:49 AM

[quote] I wish someone could find it

Maybe it's in "Raseda"

by Anonymousreply 109January 19, 2022 12:51 AM

R109 my bad for spelling era

There were about 7 different drafts of Scream 3, even Carrie Fisher worked with Wes Craven to polish up the script )uncredited, but she has a cameo in the film)

Ehren’s first draft would have gotten everyone involved sued, Hollywood would have been pissed at all the digs and in no way would AMPAS allow an Oscar to be shown during a death scene

Ben Damon being involved in a drunk driving car accident that killed two people was obviously a dig at Matthew Broderick, something similar had happened to him

Sarah Darling’s death scene dialogue wasn’t changed that much and when she checks under her boobs when she’s on the phone with Roman it comes off as weird in the final film but in the first and early drafts it’s a running joke that Ben had paid for her boob job and Sarah had expressed concern that her boobs had gotten lopsided, so they scene makes more sense

Also when she’s bitching about not being happy being 35 years old and playing a 21 year old, itself a dig at 30 something actors playing high school and college kids a Hollywood tradition, she threw in another dig “I mean I’m not the geeky girl with glasses from Melrose Hills, 90210”

She was such a dumb blonde character, they did keep in how she confused Vertigo with Psycho, I thought that was funny

by Anonymousreply 110January 19, 2022 1:02 AM

Saw it. Courteney looked just fine in it. It needed a bit more Gale and Sid.

by Anonymousreply 111January 19, 2022 1:09 AM

Wasn't Sarah Darling based on SMG? And R108 i would watch that movie.

by Anonymousreply 112January 19, 2022 4:47 AM

Were Sarah Darling and Jennifer Jolie based on SMG and Jennifer Love Hewitt respectively?

by Anonymousreply 113January 19, 2022 4:51 AM

I love Scream 3 as is.

by Anonymousreply 114January 19, 2022 5:15 AM

So do I.

by Anonymousreply 115January 19, 2022 10:47 AM

I don’t feel S4 had enough Gale and Dewey, especially Gale, in it. Sad S5 didn’t even have enough Sid and Gale. I love bitchy, snippy, but Sid ally, Gale.

by Anonymousreply 116January 19, 2022 10:56 AM

R116 Scream 3 was basically Gale and Dewey and Jennifer discovering the rapey secrets of 70s Hollywood/Maureen’s Prescott actress past

I loved it

Sidney was a supporting character and that was OK

The ending at John Milton aka Harvey Weinstein‘a secret room mansion was great fun

It was so campy and kitschy

by Anonymousreply 117January 19, 2022 11:46 AM

Neve was sleepwalking in this one, just as she did for the last one.

by Anonymousreply 118January 19, 2022 11:48 AM

I like the Carrie Fisher cameo in Scream 3. Didn't really care for the Jay & Silent Bob one.

by Anonymousreply 119January 19, 2022 2:04 PM

It’s funny, most people admit Scream 3 isn’t the greatest movie but treat it like a guilty pleasure. I love this movie too. It’s great background noise. I’d love to here more secrets about the making of the series and Scream 3.

One thing I found out recently that was interesting was Scream 2 was supposed to end with Bittersweet Symphony but they couldn’t clear the rights and replaced it with a soundalike Collective Soul song. It’s a shame because that would’ve been a great final moment for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 120January 22, 2022 8:26 AM

Bitter-sweet Symphony just makes me think of Cruel Intentions.

by Anonymousreply 121January 22, 2022 11:33 AM

Where can I pirate this?

by Anonymousreply 122January 22, 2022 11:45 AM

It was rated Rrrrrrrrrrrrr

by Anonymousreply 123January 22, 2022 3:44 PM

Just forget Scream 2 and 3 ever happened and you'll be fine.

4 gets a pass because Sidney/Neve shoots megacunt Emma Roberts/Jill in the head and utters the awesome line 'You forgot first rule of remakes Jill - don't fuck with the original!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 6, 2022 4:58 AM

Sam could NOT have been Billy's Daughter. It states she was 13 when she found out about her birth father and Tara was 8. When Sam was 18 she left Woodsboro and returned five years later when she was 23. Billy died 25 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 125February 6, 2022 4:58 AM

R124, you don’t need to forget 2 and 3.

2 is always ranked on lists of the best sequels of all time. 3 isn’t as good as the others but has its camp value.

5 is by far the worst but the Scream sequels are still better than most horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 126February 6, 2022 5:02 AM

Scream 1-3 are gold. 4 is ruined by Roberts playing her cunt psycho self. 5 is cheap looking and scare free.

by Anonymousreply 127February 6, 2022 5:38 PM

I just finished watching it.

Look, I enjoyed it while I was watching it.

I was very upset about Dewey.

My biggest complaint was just like in Scream 4, the new characters are awful.

The friend circle made no sense! The friend circle in Scream and Scream 2 made sense. In Scream, it was two couples and the third wheel. In Scream 2, it was Sidney’s roommate, her boyfriend, and Randy’s movie class friend. Scream 3 was a movie crew.

Scream 5’s friend circle made no sense. Movie geeks, goth chicks, jocks, popular girls all in the same circle? The hot biracial football player dating some purple haired pasty goth chick? What? I haven’t been to high school in a while but things can’t be THAT different! They’re just body counts like Friday the 13th.

The Scream movies weren’t known for characters being meat, most of them had some sort of purpose to be there. Scream 2 had “meat” characters like Sarah Michelle and Jada but at least their murders were great scenes!

I couldn’t stand the new Sidney. But it’s like wasn’t Jill the new Sidney in Scream 4? And she was worse. So it’s like while I enjoyed this film felt different, they reworked the Scream 4 formula.

I did love the Billy Loomis touch.

by Anonymousreply 128March 7, 2022 6:25 AM

I think a cool twist to the movie is that there’s 4 Ghostface killers, 2 pairs decided to go on a killing spree at the same time on the 25th anniversary and the killers have a face off at the end with each other and Sidney.

by Anonymousreply 129March 7, 2022 7:13 AM

I watched it this weekend. I didn’t give a shit about the characters except for the old cast as a poster upthread already said.

I marveled at Neve who seems to be one of the few actresses in Hollywood who hasn’t fucked with her face. I think she looks great because of that.

The returning character from Scream 1 was so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 130March 7, 2022 10:05 AM

R118 I adore her but sleepy is her acting style.

by Anonymousreply 131March 7, 2022 10:29 AM

Yes R124! That is one of my favourite lines from a movie ever!

I enjoyed Scream 5 but it suffered IMO by including the 'legacy' characters but not really giving them enough to do/reason to be part of it.

by Anonymousreply 132March 7, 2022 10:43 AM

I figured out the killers right away. It was a bit of a forgettable movie, overall. I hope they don’t continue the franchise. Let it rest already.

by Anonymousreply 133March 7, 2022 10:51 AM

[Quote] I hope they don’t continue the franchise. Let it rest already.

But they will...no matter how stupid each sequel gets.

by Anonymousreply 134March 7, 2022 10:58 AM

Hate to break it to you, R133 but Scream 6 starts filming this summer in Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 135March 7, 2022 12:39 PM

R135 neve and Courtney should sit this one out.

by Anonymousreply 136March 7, 2022 1:54 PM

R136 They have to be there.

by Anonymousreply 137March 7, 2022 2:21 PM

I hope the surviving legacy cast members are more prominent in the sequel. They were way more interesting than the newbies aside from Jack Quaid. There’s really no need to keep them offscreen until the end.

by Anonymousreply 138March 7, 2022 3:00 PM

[quote] neve and Courtney should sit this one out.

Neve needs new Bugs Bunny veneers and Courtney needs lip collagen so don't count on it.

by Anonymousreply 139March 7, 2022 3:18 PM

I’m pretty sure Neve has had work done, but it’s very good work. She was pulled a little tight in Scream 4, looked much better in 5.

by Anonymousreply 140March 7, 2022 3:23 PM

It's been out for weeks now, so don't give me grief about spoilers at this point... I'm furious that they killed off Dewey! He was my favorite character in the entire series of these films. I can't see myself being interested in a Scream 6 without him in it.

Also, the new characters were way too "woke" to the point where it was cringe worthy.

by Anonymousreply 141March 7, 2022 3:40 PM

It needed some jokes. Somewhere, anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 142March 7, 2022 3:44 PM

None of those fucking kids could act worth shit.

by Anonymousreply 143March 17, 2022 5:13 AM

Finally saw this. The beginning was lackluster and the next half hour is full of boring exposition. It picks up at the next killing and the hospital scene (i know we have to suspend disbelief but those void corridors were extremely improbable) and it ends up being quite ok. Liked the women empowerment thing.

It was also more gory and bloody. The opposite was Scream 3, where i think they wanted too keep all options open to revive characters we thought had died, so the killings later on are bloodless and ridiculous. Parker Posey was gold but otherwise i think it was the weakest of all the movies. Don’t get the love for it (i know about the Hollywood inside jokes but this was the end of a slasher triology).

Neve looked great and Cox less plastic than I expected. The Scream movies are becoming a solid consistent series, much unlike other horror series (the fact that main characters keep being in it helps enormously). The balance between meta and scarss is tricky, though, and not always successful.

by Anonymousreply 144April 10, 2022 11:53 PM

I hope they shift the focus back on Sidney and Gale in the new sequels. The surviving members of the new cast are extremely weak.

by Anonymousreply 145April 11, 2022 12:02 AM

Is Jada Punkass in it?

by Anonymousreply 146April 11, 2022 12:35 AM

I watched this tonight and... it was entertaining but very predictable.

I could tell who did it by one early scene which basically told the audience the ending.

A few months ago, a DLer was being cute and "spoiled" the movie. They didn't turn out to be right but I think their spoiler would have been better for the movie.

I agree with many in this thread that the new cast SUCKED. I hated all of the new characters. No charisma. They couldn't even sell the one-liners except maybe Jack Quaid. Mason Gooding is hot but nothing more. I couldn't stand Mindy.

I wish there had been more of the legacy characters but it's a shame the film couldn't find charismatic younger actors to give the franchise fresh blood.

by Anonymousreply 147April 12, 2022 1:30 AM

What scene early on clued you people in to who the killers were?

by Anonymousreply 148April 12, 2022 1:44 AM

In the hospital r148 when two characters talk about Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 149April 12, 2022 1:48 AM

*Spoiler*

It wasn’t early on, but I knew it was the guy when he went to the hospital to check on his girlfriend’s sister and she threw a phone at him and he said, “You just hit me with a phone!” Stu said the same thing in the original and I knew.

I thought it might have been the black girl as the partner. She was so freaking annoying. I hoped she would die. And her brother. Both awful characters.

by Anonymousreply 150April 12, 2022 1:55 AM

[quote] I thought it might have been the black girl as the partner. She was so freaking annoying. I hoped she would die. And her brother. Both awful characters.

Agreed. Awful, awful characters. Especially Mindy and her callous "she's probably DEAD" comments. Truly vile.

by Anonymousreply 151April 12, 2022 2:32 AM

[quote] I thought it might have been the black girl as the partner. She was so freaking annoying. I hoped she would die.

Literal violence.

by Anonymousreply 152April 12, 2022 3:25 AM

I finally watched this movie on Paramount +. It was as disappointing as I expected. Maybe even more so. I was a big fan of the Scream series. I watched the first 4 Scream films at the movies. The original Scream is a classic but Scream 2 will always be my favorite. It was the scariest and funniest of them all. The clips from the Stab movies with Tori Spelling and Luke Wilson were hilarious. The scenes with Portia DeRossi and Rebecca Gayheart were hilarious. Sarah Michelle Gellar was a fun character and her kill was very scary. The opening kill scene with Jada Pinkett at the movies was terrifying and fun to watch at the theater.

Despite the horror and comedic elements, the heart of the story was a teenage girl dealing with the grief of her moms murder & the salacious public rumors of her infidelity. Campbell was terrific at portraying Sydney’s sadness, humiliation and fear of intimacy/reluctance to lose her virginity. She brought a relatable vulnerability to the role which made us care about her and want to look out for her like her best friend/protector Tatum who’s tragic death was another painful and traumatic loss. Her choice to fully open up to her boyfriend and lose her virginity at her most vulnerable time, only for him to humiliate her about it afterwards with his best friend was almost as painful to watch as her discovery that her boyfriend (who should have been her protector) and best friend raped and murdered her mother.

You could feel Sydney’s deep sadness in Scream 2 as she tried to move on with her life at College, Neve, Arquette, Cox and Jamie Kennedy and even Liev Schrieber really made us like and care for their characters. I didn’t care much for Scream 3 despite Parker Poseys great performance. It was glaringly obvious Williamson didn’t write this script. It lacked the heart of the first two films and the attempt to retcon the story was confusing and just poor writing.

I enjoyed Scream 4. It felt more like a Scream film than 3 did. Emma Roberts is annoying but she had some fun scenes after the reveal. Hayden P was really fun in the film as well I wish they brought her back this time. Even the Culkin sibling had a watchable screen presence. None of the newcomers in Scream 5 did. What a terrible cast. It was just depressing to watch. The lead was so bland. Mikey Madison was unlikeable and uncomfortable to watch- same with the horrible actress who played Liv. Cuba Gooding Jr’s sons tried to bring an obnoxious charm to his character like Matthew Lillard- but failed and brought nothing. Jasmine Savoy tried too hard to be edgy & cool like Rose McGowan while being funny & quirky like Jamie Kennedy and she too failed hard. The actress who played Terra was more compelling to watch but not by much. Really the entire cast was awful.

by Anonymousreply 153June 15, 2022 1:20 AM

Well, at least Kirby is returning for Scream 6.

by Anonymousreply 154June 15, 2022 4:05 AM

Love Montreal, but if the sixth film is set in NYC, they should have filmed there.

by Anonymousreply 155February 8, 2023 11:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!