Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Cry Baby” (1971) by Janis Joplin is a masterpiece!

It’s her best song, way better than “Me and Bobby McGee”, which is her most popular and famous song. This is so powerful and masterful. The lyrics, the instruments and accompaniment, her vocals and the emotion and storytelling her voice shares with us… masterful.

I would have loved to see what else she would have given us had she not had that overdose. However, she may have benefited from dying so early in her career and young. Not everyone benefits from it, but when you do, it’s great it seems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2022 12:54 AM

Used beautifully in Natalie Portman’s new Dior commercial. One of my favorite commercials right now. It’s colorful, beautiful, feels happy and pretty and joyous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2022 11:12 PM

I've never heard anyone sing with as much power and passion as Janis Joplin. No one. No one has been able to sing like that.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2022 11:14 PM

R2 agree. And that’s part of why covers of her songs never work.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2022 11:16 PM

Her version doesn't compare to this version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2022 11:17 PM

R1 do you like how wide Natalie opens her big mouth to lip synch it?

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2022 11:19 PM

I love Janis so much. I love this song, Brand new key and piece of my heart most of all.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2022 11:19 PM

'Maybe' is even better because it's a remake of a doo-wop song that bears no resemblance to the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 11:19 PM

The original version of the song was by Garnet Mimms & the Enchanters, which is also well worth a listen -- though with an entirely different vibe.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2022 11:19 PM

She was such a massive talent. Sad she never got to show us all she had.

R6 Brand New Key is Melanie.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2022 11:23 PM

Then again Janis' version of Summertime is hypnotic. I have no idea what her voice is doing in the first verse, physiologically. Any vocalist/enthusiast able to explain the technicality of her voice on this song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2022 11:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2022 11:27 PM

jesus christ I am dumb. I was humming brand new key and thinking Mercedes Benz. my wires crossed. thanks r9!

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2022 11:41 PM

I wish this had been recorded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2022 11:47 PM

My favorites were "Piece of My Heart" and "Me and Bobby McGee," but in 1977, I discovered I liked Kris Kristofferson's version better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2022 11:49 PM

R12 those two songs have very similar rythmns, and lots of pick-up notes. I see how you could think/him them being the same.

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2022 12:46 AM

"Cry Baby" is to Janis Joplin as "Oh, Darling" is to Paul McCartney.

Grandstanding vocal without emotional connectedness. It's a mannered set piece. Nothing wrong with that, but she did many better performances.

So did McCartney.

"Piece of My Heart" is less whiney. "Ball and Chain" and "Move Over" are better examples. With that, she always will be someone one needs to be in the mood to visit.

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2022 12:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!