Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A question for historians/elders

If I turned on a radio in 1936 and this song came on ... would it sound exactly the same as it does in this recording (slightly muffled/scratchy)? Assuming, of course, I had the best radio on the market.

Or has time degraded the original recording to make it sound this way?

This question may be stupid, but it's something about older (1940s and earlier) musical recordings that I've always wondered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2022 8:07 PM

It would have sounded better.

For recordings made before 1945, all we have left, if we are lucky, are original shellac records. There was no magnetic tape back then. I’m greatly simplifying the process, but, essentially, sound was recorded onto wax, and records were pressed from that. As a result, with very old recordings there’s no “original” source left, only very old records that now sound scratchy.

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2022 8:04 PM

That makes sense. Thanks r1!

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2022 8:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!