Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sissy Spacek is such an under-rated actress

Every single role she has played, has been amazing.

In particular, I really loved her part as the mom in "In the Bedroom."

It was perfection.

Sissy has such an understated elegance. She just carries herself like a movie star.

Love her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2022 2:29 AM

She's also an incredibly down to Earth human. Read her memoir, OP - it's really good.

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2022 5:50 PM

When Sissy slapped Marisa, America CHEERED!

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2022 5:57 PM

I lived near her in Virginia and met her several times - just so sweet (and tiny).

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2022 5:59 PM

I have noticed that she is very selective in her roles, and they are always GOOD parts.

She's an "actor's actor."

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2022 6:34 PM

How is an Academy Award winning (and nominated) actress underrated?

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2022 6:39 PM

Because you never see her much in the media, nor do you hear much about her.

Sissy lives a quiet life, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2022 6:40 PM

R6 yes, and she’s also very old. That doesn’t mean she’s underrated.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 6:42 PM

r5 She was tainted by Carrie. It wasn't her best performance but it's what she was best known for... especially in the public eye. They have trouble placing the name to face/memories in her other roles. . . save for maybe Trading Mom. There's a disconnect on the expectations they have of her and her abilities.

It's a shame she doesn't have a wider filmography. . . her peak period was in the 80s.

r7 If Joni Mitchell kicks it before she does... we'll probably see her stretch out a comeback. She'd be a great old Joni.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2022 6:45 PM

I agree OP, very nice to watch onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2022 6:56 PM

I loved Nick Stahl in that movie.

He was really cute.

But so dumb.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2022 10:57 PM

[quote] It wasn't her best performance but it's what she was best known for...

I think she’s best known for Coal Miner’s Daughter.

In The Bedroom was a good movie for her because it took her out of all those Southern women she played. In that movie, her Southernness wasn’t the first quality of the character.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2022 11:12 PM

Funny you mention that R11, because you could still hear her Southern accent.

I don't know if it was intentional or not.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2022 11:13 PM

She salvaged that last AND HORRIBLE season of an otherwise great show- Bloodline. She can get really raw and real as an actress- Its impressive.

For some reason one of my favorite roles of her is Babe in Crimes of The Heart. She is really great.

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2022 11:14 PM

Sissy is one of the greats. As good as Meryl, Jessica, Glenn. Maybe better. She doesn’t ham it up like those three can do if not reigned in.

She should have won for In the Bedroom instead of Halle’s hysterics.

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2022 11:21 PM

I agree she doesn't ham it up. Babe in "Crimes of the Heart" could easily go over the top, but, if anything, Spacek underplays the outrageousness and creates a uniquely memorable character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2022 11:31 PM

She is a sweetheart, as is her husband. Very talented actor.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2022 11:45 PM

Six Oscar nominations and one win, seven Golden Globe nominations and three wins is hardly under rated OP

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2022 11:57 PM

R17 Exactly. OP how the fuck is she underrated?

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2022 12:08 AM

Would someone please snip a hole in one of the OP's eyelids so she can see herself in the mirror even when her eyes are closed?

She'd like that.

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2022 12:42 AM

She permanently deformed her face with that hideous nose job.

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2022 2:17 AM

Dr. Butcher

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2022 2:19 AM

She and Shelley Duval were wonderful in Altman's 3 Women

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2022 2:24 AM

Was named Best Actress 3 times by the NY Film Critics Circle for Crimes of the Heart, Coal Miner's Daughter and In the Bedroom and was Best Supporting Actress for 3 Women and was a nominee for Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2022 2:29 AM

She and Joni look alike.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2022 2:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!