Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How to develop thicker skin for sensitive types?

I get my feelings hurt a lot .

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2022 1:04 PM

Harden My Heart by Quarterflash

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2022 5:30 PM

Avoid people who make you feel bad, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2022 5:31 PM

I get it op. Sometimes I can be sensitive too. I just try to step back from my feelings when it happens and TRY to re-evaluate the situation or distract myself until the feelings fade.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2022 5:36 PM

Work on not caring so much about what other people think of you. That goes especially for people who only see one facet of you like coworkers, casual acquaintances, etc. Easier said than done but it’s so easy to become a prisoner to what we believe we should be to others.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2022 5:38 PM

I’ve often asked myself this very question, OP. I’m slowly finding being more confident helps. I’ve started exercising and meditating more to achieve this. Best of luck.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2022 5:43 PM

exposure

embrace your inner wangsty teen

surround yourself with bitter sarcastic queens and fraus.. start judging people a little more everyday!

set yourself up for a roast!

take up boxing!

Or whatever... you know you, so you come up with the recipe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2022 5:43 PM

I read this too fast. I thought you were asking to develop thicker skin for sensitive nips.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 6:37 PM

For starters, avoid Datalounge? Maybe this is not the place for sensitive people?

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2022 6:55 PM

Sweetie, I love sensitive kind.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2022 7:40 PM

What R8 said.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2022 7:41 PM

I’m a sensitive person. Tbh I get around it by having very limited expectations of others. I don’t let my guard down unless it’s someone I truly trust, and they are quite few. When people really do hurt me, more than once, I sever ties; no drama, but a door closes that will never reopen.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2022 7:45 PM

You need to get out more OP. Literally. The more you interact with a wide range of people, the less sensitive you become. I was a quiet, shy guy until I was reluctantly thrust into a very public-facing job where I had to deal with strangers face-to-face and be assertive. Within 6 months I found was no longer as sensitive and afraid of confrontation.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2022 8:50 PM

OP, become a good listener and take interest in others. Laugh more. Take more things with a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2022 12:42 PM

Lose weight and get surgery, darling.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2022 1:27 PM

vicious face slaps

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2022 1:31 PM

Dialectal Behavior Therapy might help, OP. You're sensitivity is probably deep-rooted, stemming from some type of childhood trauma that was unaddressed by your parents, or perhaps caused by them.

[Quote]Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) provides clients with new skills to manage painful emotions and decrease conflict in relationships. DBT specifically focuses on providing therapeutic skills in four key areas. First, mindfulness focuses on improving an individual's ability to accept and be present in the current moment. Second, distress tolerance is geared toward increasing a person’s tolerance of negative emotion, rather than trying to escape from it. Third, emotion regulation covers strategies to manage and change intense emotions that are causing problems in a person’s life. Fourth, interpersonal effectiveness consists of techniques that allow a person to communicate with others in a way that is assertive, maintains self-respect, and strengthens relationships.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2022 1:44 PM

OP ultimately it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks or says to you (except your very close loved ones and on practical terms maybe your boss so you don’t get fired). But in general - who fucking cares? I used to get worked up and worried about what people would say to me and what other people thought and then I just started to realize none of it really matters. We are here for such a short amount of time. Why make the bullshit a bigger part of our narrative than it needs to be?

Also people’s behavior has very little to do with you. People act out because of their own problems and ultimately they only care about themselves. Hence the saying don’t take it personally.

Being sensitive isn’t a bad thing - it likely means you are empathetic and kind. Maybe reframe and consider it a good quality that you don’t need to change - just manage differently.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2022 1:51 PM

OP, if you are who I think you are, I apologize if I have hurt you feelings. Never meant to, was just frustrated that you ignored me.

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2022 1:52 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2022 1:53 PM

I'm the same, OP. I am an introvert. I am very awkward in social situations and I am terrified of making a fool of myself, but I usually do. I get nervous a lot.

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2022 1:57 PM

Simple don't give a fuck what people who don't matter to you say. Marie Kondo them. - if they don't bring you joy, throw them out.

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2022 2:18 PM

There’s a time and a place for that, R21, but that’s not necessarily the best answer in this case. Many people run away from difficult people or situations without using them as opportunities to learn about their own weaknesses, and therefore will usually face the same scenarios again later. In particular, if certain events keep repeating themselves, the person may want to ask himself if there a grain of truth or wisdom in them. Better for the person to trust himself, face the situation and see what there is to learn in order to make a measured response, whether that be bolstering self-worth, setting boundaries or becoming more adept in his responses. In my view, he’ll then be better equipped to decide who and what should fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2022 3:47 PM

if there *is* a grain of truth

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2022 3:49 PM

Allow cute guys to advise and inspire you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2022 5:26 PM

I am a very sensitive type OP. I also suffer from self esteem issues, and have spent most of my life trying to please others- this will make you hurt even more. I've been doing better the past few years though. Things got so bad, lying awake at night because I didn't send an email to someone on time etc. I eventually said enough, and started saying no, no, no to people and invitations I didn't want. The first one or two are hard. Then you have the harsh realization that you were only ever solving someone else's headache or problem. The world is cold and it won't ever change. Be good to yourself OP, you deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2022 6:20 PM

OP, rub avocado oil over your skin before bed.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2022 12:55 PM

AVOID datalounge

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2022 1:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!