Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Price gouging is not the same as inflation…

Yet all the corporate media is calling this “inflation” at the same time their sister companies are price gouging on everything.

Let’s set this narrative straight once and for all:

“What has gone underreported in the American press is that a significant amount of the inflation American households are experiencing is simply strategic behavior of businesses to increase prices in order to increase profits.”

Corporate America is making a cash grab during Covid. It’s not genuine inflation. There is no need for these price hikes. They have all amounted to pure profit.

Of it was inflation, then profits would be flat. Don’t fall for the big lie that this is monetary inflation when it’s clearly a cash grab/price gouging from corporate US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157March 10, 2022 9:14 PM

The democrats need to start holding hearings on corporate pricing.

Oil companies, car companies, grocers, manufacturers have all raised prices and need to explain their reasons.

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2022 3:41 PM

Florida has no limit on price gouging COVID-19 tests

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2022 3:43 PM

Raise interest rates

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2022 3:43 PM

Oil company profits at record high

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2022 3:48 PM

How could gas companies make 74b in profits in one quarter?

74 BILLION DOLLARS. PROFIT.

Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2022 3:49 PM

Right out of the pocketbooks of the American worker.

Why do they do with 74billion dollars? Swim in it?

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2022 3:50 PM

R6, instead of whining about it, why don't you go out there and grow some food to sell, or drill for some oil and refine it into gas?

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 3:51 PM

This thread is about a poor person's subject. *yawn*

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2022 3:53 PM

You and the professor who wrote the article made TPTB angry. They hate to be called out on their crimes against humanity and people, and their crimes in general. The thread will be tried to get bullied down and maybe closed soon. Not that it would lead to anything in any way, but it's still important to not let everything go unnoticed, what the corporate and economic gangsters are doing. The media strongly embellishes the situation of the Western and Europpean male and the Western world for many years now.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2022 4:09 PM

As long as everybody knows this is not inflation. This is price gouging. Do what little you can to counter these fake “inflation” narratives.

Wall Street is making a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2022 4:17 PM

Awareness bump.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2022 4:30 PM

I want to se all these oil CEOs lined up before Elizabeth Warren.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2022 4:34 PM

[quote] I want to se all these oil CEOs lined up before Elizabeth Warren.

R12, for some kind of economic pow-wow?

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2022 4:52 PM

Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon. Too much money chasing too few goods.

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2022 4:54 PM

Our current predicament is not monetary based. It is self inflicted by gouging corporations.

This is more unnecessary distractions from the real crisis at hand.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2022 4:56 PM

Price gouging is killing the American family. What are they going to do when they realize it was all because greedy corporations wanted to squeeze every penny from consumers during the fog of the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2022 4:58 PM

We are fish in a barrel for corporations to shoot until the representatives we elect make laws to keep it from happening.

Good luck getting the reps to stop counting their corporate kickbacks long enough to do so.

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2022 5:00 PM

Haul these guys before Congress and let ME ask the questions.

They would never get away with this if I was a congressman.

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2022 5:05 PM
by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2022 5:14 PM

The cost of natural gas is obscene right now. We got our gas bill yesterday (have natural gas furnace) and were shocked. The distribution price hasn’t changed, but the cost of the gas has more than doubled from last January. No other reason than a money grab. The demand sure as hell hasn’t dramatically increased.

by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2022 5:23 PM

Corporate America has turned to all scams all the time. Nobody does an honest business anymore. So much for all that Econ garbage we were served. Where is all this supposed competition?

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2022 5:25 PM

Could they stop then? These American price gougers are so powerful, they're running up prices here in Germany, too.

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2022 5:33 PM

Repeating the word gouging over and over isn’t going to make the runaway inflation under the Biden administration not be inflation and it’s not going to prevent the political repercussions.

by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2022 5:37 PM

All political campaigns should be taxpayer-funded and the funding amount should be capped.

No more lobbyist contributions, no more of this Citizens Untied bullshit.

This is what is done in civilized democracies. If a candidate can get enough signatures, they can run for office, and their campaign is paid for by the government. Every candidate gets the same amount of $ with which to run a campaign. That way, the best candidate actually has a chance to win.

But good luck getting our money-grubbing politicians to vote themselves out of campaign contributions!

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2022 5:40 PM

Oh, dear -- I meant Citizens United.

by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2022 5:41 PM

It’s Biden’s fault the oils companies made 74 billion dollars? That’s price gouging. Not inflation.

by Anonymousreply 26January 13, 2022 5:50 PM

What does Biden have to do with private companies raising their prices through the roof, resulting in higher cost for consumers and record profits for corporations and Wall Street?

They do not ask the white house for permission.

by Anonymousreply 27January 13, 2022 5:51 PM

R23 which part of the article do you dispute. Or are we just covering our eyes and ears and blaming Biden?

by Anonymousreply 28January 13, 2022 5:52 PM

I’m not going to put up with the trolls in 2022. No more snide, dishonest comments like r23 or any other deplorable propaganda is going to fly.

by Anonymousreply 29January 13, 2022 5:58 PM

The buyer sets the price in an open market. The grocery store in town sells a box of Triscuits for 3.99. People pay it. Walmart sells the same box for 2.69. People pay that too. If nobody bought Triscuits at the grocery store, they would lower their price. Walmart is out of Triscuits, so they clearly could have raised prices. I refuse to pay 3.99 for a box of Triscuits, so I am doing without. My price for Triscuits is at most 3.29.

by Anonymousreply 30January 13, 2022 6:07 PM

That’s sweet R30. When is Walmart going to start selling natural gas??? Or am I supposed to turn the furnace off? Hell…why don’t I just go lie in a snow bank and get it over with!!!

🙀

by Anonymousreply 31January 13, 2022 6:11 PM

All these companies are using this as a cover to raise profits.

I’m not getting into these disingenuous econ debates.

Companies are raising their margins. That is what the consumer is feeling at the pump, car lots, housing, healthcare, grocery store, everything. That is not inflation. They are raising their profits, not just prices.

by Anonymousreply 32January 13, 2022 6:17 PM

I have to buy the Great Value brand at Walmart in order to stay within budget. Then I feel guilty for supporting Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 33January 13, 2022 6:51 PM

Great topic OP. Needs to be highlighted more. Biden tried to address it in talking about taking on the meat monopolies.

The problem is the absence of education among the masses - so the cause of inflation and distinctions from price gouging are lost on most. Combined with Fox News not reporting on anything that might reflect reality, trying to create change in corporate behavior is a lost cause. American democracy is lost.

by Anonymousreply 34January 13, 2022 7:21 PM

I’m seeing this pop on social media here and there so it’s bound to breakthrough if enough people keep pushing it. How does anyone afford all of this?

by Anonymousreply 35January 13, 2022 7:35 PM
by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2022 10:52 PM
by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2022 11:33 AM

Some of you need to stop breathing Elizabeth Warren’s air.

If you were paying attention, Biden made several moves to cause these problems.

Vaccine mandates are shutting people out of work. That means that truckers will not be able to haul food to your local grocery store, hence prices will rise. All of you have seen the ships off the California coast not being able to unload. Part of this is due to California being batshit crazy and only allowing certain types of trucks to haul freight in their state. More restrictions means more cost to small time truckers which is either passed on to the consumer or the truckers quit and find other jobs meaning less ways to move goods.

Biden has made it clear he wants to push the green new deal and because of that he’s closing down US oil production. Yet there is not a feasible substitution for oil at this time. Electric vehicles are still not viable and the price of gas is rising because the supply shortage.

The government getting involved in free market is a huge mistake. Warren and her silly price controls are a dangerous game which could cause the shutdown of necessary companies and a real crisis. And if you think the likes of Elizabeth Warren will suffer the same as you, you’re sadly mistaken. Congress never has to play by the same rules as those they govern.

by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2022 12:13 PM

I don’t see why OP and all these other boot lickers are so concerned in running interference for Biden. Of course price gorging is bad. But, price gorging is not the major cause of the current inflation crisis.

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2022 12:19 PM

Not a single person has missed work because of Biden. Stop blaming democrats for everything and stop spreading propaganda it not good for the country.

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2022 12:26 PM

R38, oh honey the timing of your bullshit is awful. SCOTUS just ended Biden's vaccine mandate. So when these hordes (not really) of people go back to work and it has negligible impact, what will you blame?

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2022 12:29 PM

Keep up the right-wing propaganda busting. It works.

by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2022 12:34 PM

Gouging ... The word has come down from on high.

Inflation is out of control and Biden doesn't know how to fix it. Time to deflect.

That is why the word "gouging" is suddenly being uttered by every Democratic politician and is said 100 times a day on CNN and MSNBC. Talk about Gaslighting.

If that doesn't work, you can always blame the Russians.

by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2022 12:35 PM

If the profits remain high and go even higher then it’s not inflation. You know that it ab not inflation but keep pushing that lie. All this lying is not good for anybody. It’s time to start facing the truth. Corporations are out of control and we’re back in the days of the robber barrons. Stop sticking up for them.

by Anonymousreply 44January 14, 2022 12:41 PM

“…many businesses, especially those with significant market power, have increased their prices well beyond inputs costs to increase their profitability.

In other words some firms have been able to use the excuse of supply chain bottlenecks and inflation to price gouge consumers.”

by Anonymousreply 45January 14, 2022 12:44 PM

Do some research r43. You look foolish.

by Anonymousreply 46January 14, 2022 12:44 PM

“It is important to understand that any firm with market power BENEFITS from supply chain bottlenecks.

For example, the bottlenecks in the supply chains are helping to generate massive profits for shipping and postal companies.

by Anonymousreply 47January 14, 2022 12:45 PM

R27 would easily blame Trump if he was still in office.

by Anonymousreply 48January 14, 2022 12:45 PM

Please spread this information to family and friends who are Getting hit hard by these vultures.

by Anonymousreply 49January 14, 2022 12:45 PM

Just read the article at the link at ignore the trolls.

by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2022 12:46 PM

“Shipping giant Deutsche Post AG (owner of courier DHL) reported record earnings in 2021. The world’s largest shipping company, AP Maersk announced its most profitable quarter in its 117-year history. Indeed the top 10 container shipping lines are on track for profits exceeding $120 billion in 2021. Postal giant UPS posted its best year ever in 2021 and announced substantial price hikes in 2022.”

by Anonymousreply 51January 14, 2022 12:46 PM

“most profitable quarter in its 117-year history”

Read it and weep.

by Anonymousreply 52January 14, 2022 12:47 PM

“exceeding $120 billion in 2021”

Are you people getting it now?

by Anonymousreply 53January 14, 2022 12:47 PM

I've known from the beginning that this was price gouging. Having lived thru inflation several times this felt different. Prices rose differently. The money that the richest were making was off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 54January 14, 2022 12:48 PM

“Postal giant UPS posted its best year ever in 2021 and announced substantial price hikes in 2022”

by Anonymousreply 55January 14, 2022 12:49 PM

They are robbing working families blind.

Congress needs to take action today. Haul the CEOs to the hill.

Private equity too.

Line these bastards up. I want names with the faces. Who could do this to poor families and sleep at night?

by Anonymousreply 56January 14, 2022 12:50 PM
by Anonymousreply 57January 14, 2022 12:58 PM

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 58January 14, 2022 1:01 PM

No wonder there is a strike every week.

by Anonymousreply 59January 14, 2022 1:01 PM

Well everyone (corporations included) can simply take advantage by using the term “because of Covid” or “because supply chain issues/chip shortage” and people will accept the excuse and not question it.

by Anonymousreply 60January 14, 2022 1:03 PM

R60 that’s what happened in 2021.

2022 is all about hauling these assholes into court and have them answer for these egregious, predatory and destructive actions.

by Anonymousreply 61January 14, 2022 1:05 PM

“our most powerful companies are using this moment as a way to increase profits and enhance their market power. This is called corporate price gouging.

by Anonymousreply 62January 14, 2022 1:11 PM

“Especially big business with market power has used inflation as an excuse to increase profits. Coca-Cola, Pepsi, General Mills, Hormel, Reynolds, Procter & Gamble, Kimberly-Clark, Nestlé, Unilever, Tyson Foods, Kellogg’s, Mondelez (aka Kraft), provide some examples.”

“The Federal Reserve of Saint Louis shows that US corporate profits have increased more than 100% in the past year.”

by Anonymousreply 63January 14, 2022 1:12 PM

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT PROFIT INCREASES.

AND THATS NOT JUST REVENUE. THATS PROFIT.

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2022 1:12 PM

Sleepy Joe Biden raised gas prices and shot the pipeline! How are we supposed to go to Disneyworld this year?

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2022 1:17 PM

[quote] oh honey the timing of your bullshit is awful.

Were you born yesterday? We weren’t having these problems when Trump was POTUS. If ever there was a time when companies could price gouge, it was during the Trump administration.

Biden owns this mess completely!

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2022 1:25 PM

Lol @ blaming Biden for corporate greed!

The trolls are in a silly mood today. Must be the weekend has got them throwing humorous jabs instead of their usual wordy drivel.

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2022 1:37 PM

R43 can you post one example? I think you’re lying.

by Anonymousreply 68January 14, 2022 2:04 PM

We’ll have to wait until November to see how successful the operatives are in using a “gouging” narrative to deflect away from the runaway inflation, but I’m going to guess that voters will recognize the inflation as inflation. It’s always interesting to how the operatives have DL on their list of websites on which to push their talking points, like “gouging”.

by Anonymousreply 69January 14, 2022 2:06 PM

So you are unable to post an example of this claim? But supposed it’s happening so frequently. It should be easy!

But you made it up. R43 is a bald faced liar and there is too many of them on here.

by Anonymousreply 70January 14, 2022 2:09 PM

People need to educate themselves with some basic economics.

From JPMorgan: “What’s driving wages, goods prices and asset valuations higher? A whole lot of money.”

“Did you know that COVID monetary stimulus dwarfs the size and speed of money creation after the Global Financial Crisis? Now that commercial bank loan demand is growing, there’s plenty of fuel for continued reflation, even as the Fed slows its asset purchases.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 14, 2022 2:18 PM

Um, it if was price gouging, then why are WHOLESALE prices up 10%? I just can't with these Elizabeth Warren talking points.

Gas companies would love to expand capacity to take advantage of these higher prices. Their profits would be even higher than they are now. I wonder who demonized their industry and stopped them from drilling new wells?

I swear to God these woke propagandists are pushing me out of the democratic party. I'd be joining a swelling number of fellow Hispanics tho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 14, 2022 2:26 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 14, 2022 2:30 PM

The last two posts are completely red herrings.

Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 74January 14, 2022 2:38 PM

So r43, no clips to post? Articles? Any evidence of your wild and fantastical claim?

by Anonymousreply 75January 14, 2022 2:43 PM

If this is happening “100 times a day on CNN and MSNBC.” Can’t you post one example. It would probably take less time that these right-wing propaganda screeds.

by Anonymousreply 76January 14, 2022 2:44 PM

Price gouging may be a problem but it's not the reason for the worst inflation in 40 years. Dems should have been more honest from the beginning about how serious inflation was getting. Now they look clueless. Problem is they can't get serious about inflation and also push BBB. I don't get the strategy of going in 100% on a bill that will never pass but that seems to to be the current strategy.

by Anonymousreply 77January 14, 2022 2:46 PM

The premise of the article is that the mainstream media is not covering this enough. Is r43 saying that it’s being covered plenty?

by Anonymousreply 78January 14, 2022 2:48 PM

Ask the squad r77

by Anonymousreply 79January 14, 2022 2:48 PM

The bottom line is that pinch that suburban mothers are feeling at Costco and for weekend trips to grandmas is because of out of control corporate greed. It has nothing to do with monetary policy, other than the corporate greed and its effects on such issues.

by Anonymousreply 80January 14, 2022 2:49 PM

Part of the problem is that the Democrats want to get into manipulating the economy. Look up Solyndra during the Obama administration. Taxpayers should not be propping up failed business plans.

by Anonymousreply 81January 14, 2022 2:51 PM

Corporate greed under Biden is worse than it was under Trump. I doubt that. And if it is, what kind of weak pushover is he?

by Anonymousreply 82January 14, 2022 2:51 PM

Look at these corporate margins. They are off the charts. This has never happened in the history of the country. They have never made so much money.

If it is “inflation” these corporations are doing everything to keep it going. They love this so called “inflation” because they get all of this cash and none of the blame.

by Anonymousreply 83January 14, 2022 2:53 PM

R66 why are you pretending the timing I was talking about was Biden vs. Trump when I was clearly talking about the halt to Biden's vaccine mandate?

But since you brought him up. let's talk about the mess Trump made even BEFORE the pandemic. This is an example of a president actually causing a fiscal crisis:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 14, 2022 2:57 PM

People like r43 are going into every thread, posting one or two phrases of dissent, and then leaving an never responding.

Those types of posts are just meant to distract and keep the status quo price gouging going. They give no thought to people on minimum wage who can not afford this crap.

Do these CEOs need a 5th faction home? 3rd yacht? When is enough enough?

by Anonymousreply 85January 14, 2022 3:00 PM

Democrats can focus on price gouging but that's tough when you're also pushing BBB which will pump more money into the economy. It shows you're not taking inflation seriously.

by Anonymousreply 86January 14, 2022 3:09 PM

Wall Street is making a fortune.--

Yes and both conservatives and neo liberals are invested in Wall Street. They pass the laws to make this corporate racketeering legal.

by Anonymousreply 87January 14, 2022 3:10 PM

[quote] Do these CEOs need a 5th faction home? 3rd yacht? When is enough enough?

Bernie Sanders has at least three homes. Not bad for an old Communist who never had a real job.

by Anonymousreply 88January 14, 2022 3:10 PM

What’s the point in a awoken 401k if everything costs twice as much.

It’s a scam and the same people always win. The same people always lose.

It’s all a scam and if you believe this is some sort of ognaic “inflation” then you’re a fool and there isn’t much hope for you.

by Anonymousreply 89January 14, 2022 3:13 PM

For everyone trying to blame Biden for Trump's mess, let's not forget that Trump thought he was either going to win or would be able to steal the election sufficient to remain in office, setting up corporations to do exactly what they're doing which is, of course, raising prices dramatically with an excuse that the uneducated masses will accept without the usual pushback. That Trump lost didn't change the corporate plans to gouge huge profits out of consumers; in fact, it's better for corporations because they have a new boogeyman to blame and help eliminate. Just look at the fools on this thread trying their best to stick Biden with responsibility for this corporate cash-grab as though the president has the power to regulate prices... in an environment in which the SCOTUS just stripped OSHA of their ability to regulate businesses requiring vaccinations.

The Republicans set out in the late 1960s to destroy our educational system because it was producing too many reality-based consumers. Teaching people about things like economics, government, history and science was not in Republican interests. Educated people make better decisions for themselves, their communities, and their countries, and what's better for consumers is bad for corporations. The Republicans have been extraordinarily successful as our educational institutions are in a shambles and incapable of graduating people who can read, write and do arithmetic, let alone understand complicated subjects like price gouging in an unregulated oligopoly.

And the deplorables screech on about lack of free babysittting, err I mean school closings, and meanwhile barring educators from teaching children about accurate American history. Coincidence?

by Anonymousreply 90January 14, 2022 3:15 PM

If you think school closings only affect deplorables, you are out of touch. Biden begins his second year as President in a week. The economy is now his for better or worse. It's sad how many people on the left suffer from Trump induced PTSD. How about going for a day without thinking about the moron or saying his name. It's a good first step.

by Anonymousreply 91January 14, 2022 3:20 PM

[quote] Biden begins his second year as President in a week. The economy is now his for better or worse. It's sad how many people on the left suffer from Trump induced PTSD.

AND with a majority in both houses of Congress. If Biden can’t get Sinema and Manchin on board, then maybe he should rethink his strategy. And this is with full support of squishy Republicans like Romney, Collins and Cheney.

by Anonymousreply 92January 14, 2022 3:25 PM

[quote] People like [R43] are going into every thread, posting one or two phrases of dissent, and then leaving an never responding.

If I were r43, I wouldn’t reply to or feed your continuing trolling either.

by Anonymousreply 93January 14, 2022 3:30 PM

Then why post at all? Stop Making stuff up and then you don’t have to worry about being called out for lying.

by Anonymousreply 94January 14, 2022 3:32 PM

I’m really sick of the liars around here. If you have a point to make, do it. But the constant lying and making things up is such a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 95January 14, 2022 3:36 PM

The inflation walls are closing in on Biden. There is a panic starting about how this will affect the election.

by Anonymousreply 96January 14, 2022 3:37 PM

R93 nobody asked you.

by Anonymousreply 97January 14, 2022 3:39 PM

R96 sounds like the same poster who swore up and down that trump was going to win in 2020. Every day. Including the night of the election. and it was because the left was “too woke.”

by Anonymousreply 98January 14, 2022 3:41 PM

These are economic issues and woke doesn’t have anything to do with it.

Republicans are just desperate to smear Biden.

by Anonymousreply 99January 14, 2022 3:41 PM

How are they going to claim that it’s Biden’s fault that the oils companies priced gouged during Covid?

He tried to stop them. He’s a president not a dictator like Trump tried to be. He even failed at that. Republicans are losers who happen to benefit from the system. They would be nothing without the system that props them up.

by Anonymousreply 100January 14, 2022 3:43 PM

R76, I flush poop, and I don't talk to it.

by Anonymousreply 101January 17, 2022 9:14 PM

Let’s set the record straight now and not wait until November.

by Anonymousreply 102January 18, 2022 9:27 AM

It’s really shameful that working families have to add price gouging to their list of worries including dying from Republican-caused pandemics.

by Anonymousreply 103January 18, 2022 9:40 AM

[quote] It’s really shameful that working families have to add price gouging to their list of worries

Among their list of worries is the impact of the runaway inflation we are experiencing.

by Anonymousreply 104January 18, 2022 12:50 PM

Nobody is buying this inflation crap.

Because wages are not catching up, everyone sees this for what it is: shameless exploitation from out of control corporations.

by Anonymousreply 105January 18, 2022 1:11 PM

[quote]How are they going to claim that it’s Biden’s fault that the oils companies priced gouged during Covid?

Easy. The democrats will let them say it. They don't know how to deliver a message.

They must not mind the republicans lying about them because they allow them to do it, time after time after time

by Anonymousreply 106January 18, 2022 1:26 PM

Dems SUCK at messaging, giving the opposition plenty to work with.

by Anonymousreply 107January 18, 2022 1:38 PM

I don't understand how the president or any other democrat can't say, "prices are up ALL OVER THE WORLD. It's not just America".

by Anonymousreply 108January 18, 2022 3:59 PM

[quote]I want to se all these oil CEOs lined up before Elizabeth Warren.

Or before a firing squad.

by Anonymousreply 109January 18, 2022 4:03 PM

[quote]Talk about Gaslighting.

That's not gaslighting, nor should the word be capitalized, Dora.

by Anonymousreply 110January 18, 2022 4:58 PM

The gouging continues.

by Anonymousreply 111February 11, 2022 8:26 PM

R17...Yes, all politicians from both parties are bought and sold. repubs are deep in billionaires' pockets, but Democrats have their hand in it, too. Nothing will get done because of their overlords wanting it their way...and have the funds to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 112February 11, 2022 8:53 PM

and we continue to be hypnotized by our cell phones. dumb.

by Anonymousreply 113February 11, 2022 9:08 PM

Elizabeth Warren has been warning about this for months.

Why are some still referencing price gouging as “inflation”?

Let’s call it what it is.

by Anonymousreply 114February 11, 2022 9:10 PM

Inflation by any other name still stinks. We need to reduce overall spending to fight it.

by Anonymousreply 115February 11, 2022 9:30 PM

[quote]I don't understand how the president or any other democrat can't say, "prices are up ALL OVER THE WORLD. It's not just America".

the president can't be bothered to say it. He and the dems can't be bothered to do anything about anything.

Look at the issue with trump and all the confidential records. After what trump did to Hillary regarding her emails, it is GOD DAMNED SHAMEFUL of the democrats to sit back. This should have been FRONT PAGE NEWS. They got those records a month ago and couldn't even be bothered to capitalize on it. JC, they are weak, lazy, pathetic and useless. Only about 20 democrats deserve our votes. The rest deserve an actual kick in the ass and a slap in the face

The republicans must sit back and thank God for the democrats every single day. Having democrats as their opposition must be like winning Powerball lottery every day. They're the gift that keeps giving. For Christ sake, the department of justice isn't even investigating trump for the insurrection. They can't be bothered. EVEN THOUGH, it would get rid of trump. Who in the fuck can't be bothered to take a thorn out of their own side? The democrats. That's who

by Anonymousreply 116February 11, 2022 9:33 PM

This!^^

by Anonymousreply 117February 11, 2022 10:10 PM

It doesn't matter to people who can't afford the increased costs of goods.

by Anonymousreply 118February 11, 2022 10:12 PM

Just trying to sabotage Biden, with the help of truckers, Teamsters and warehouse workers.

by Anonymousreply 119February 11, 2022 10:18 PM

Greedy, opportunistic companies with obscene and immoral executive compensation are bilking the public for all our worth.

Meanwhile: Did you hear Kim passed the baby bar?!

by Anonymousreply 120February 12, 2022 3:03 AM

[quote] Just trying to sabotage Biden, with the help of truckers, Teamsters and warehouse workers.

Extreme partisans see this as sabotaging Biden. Normal people see the inflation as the government and others sabotaging the American people.

by Anonymousreply 121February 12, 2022 8:26 AM

[quote]Chipotle: 26% profit increase. Raising prices.

[quote]Starbucks: 31% profit increase. Raising prices.

[quote]McDonalds: 59% profit increase. Raising prices.

[quote]Shell/Mobile/BP: 60% profit increase. Raising prices.

[quote]There's not a labor shortage. This isn't inflation. It is 100% corporate greed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 12, 2022 9:19 AM

Corporations really jumped on Covid and ran with it. Sure supply chain issues are real, but they've bilked it for all its worth and I think the could fix the issues much quicker and easier than they claim. But they can use it as an excuse to raise prices. They've used "the great resignation" to simply realize that they can get away with low staffing and shit service. And lots of businesses have realized that more limited hours (at least at many of their stores if not all) leads to more profits as they have lower labor and utility costs, yet people keep buying - but in a narrower band of time. I

But OP is right - the narrative is inflation. I here something about inflation everyday on NPR and all the talk about how rate hikes the Fed will make this year as countermeasure. This, of course, plays further into the hands of (most) corporations and the wealthy - probably sick of our previous low interest rate era. People and corporations who have investments want bigger returns. Nothing wrong with that in theory, but those holding debt will fall further behind. Banks, naturally, want to charge more for their services. And on and on.

I heard something about how people under 40 have never experienced this. Heck, I'm 48 and never remember such sticker shock and increase in prices in my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 123February 12, 2022 12:40 PM

"People between the ages of 45 and 54 have borne the largest brunt of high inflation, seeing their expenses increase $305 on a monthly basis. Comparatively, Americans who are 65 years and older are only spending an additional $194 per month."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 12, 2022 12:45 PM

[quote] I'm 48 and never remember such sticker shock and increase in prices in my lifetime.

Ask your parents about the energy crisis in the 1970s. Gas lines were real. A policy was implemented that customers could only buy on odd/even days according to your license plate. That basically shut down all family vacations to visit grandma in another state.

by Anonymousreply 125February 12, 2022 12:49 PM

Oil companies always collude to raise prices - and governments never call it what it is - collusion.

by Anonymousreply 126February 12, 2022 12:53 PM

The cars dealers are DEFINITELY price gouging with their new cars.

by Anonymousreply 127February 12, 2022 12:54 PM

[quote] Oil companies always collude to raise prices

When governments make decisions like shutting down Keystone pipeline, oil companies have to do what they do to survive.

The US could be paying fifty cents a gallon for gas, but Democrats always want to ensure Arab sheiks get richer.

by Anonymousreply 128February 12, 2022 12:57 PM

R128- Oil prices are soaring so I would expect gasoline prices to get to $4 a gallon say by April. Oil is now $93 a barrel at the closing yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 129February 12, 2022 1:12 PM

R127 - I just read Ford raised the price of an Edge by $1000 across each model, while de-contenting. For a vehicle in its last year of production. Cash grab, and probably a way to shoulder the discounts it’ll have to give to clear them out. That said, you can’t buy a new Cadillac to save your life where I live. Actually, any new GM vehicle is pretty hard to come by. Not sure if that’s Covid or still the chip shortage, but I can’t imagine after all this time it’s either. I think a lot of car companies are also learning that taking orders is probably a more profitable business model.

by Anonymousreply 130February 12, 2022 1:12 PM

OP would be screaming INFLATION if an individual with an (R), that was affixed to their name, had occupied the White House.

There isn't.

It's "price gouging" for all you sheep. Think it! Say it! Believe it! Just believe it!

by Anonymousreply 131February 12, 2022 1:13 PM

I used to be a loyal Brand shopper, but no more. I’m now a cheap mother fucker when it comes to buying shit. I now comparison shop and if I can’t find a deal, I find a replacement or skip the purchase (if I can). I cancelled my Prime membership and every subscription I have. I don’t miss any of it.

by Anonymousreply 132February 12, 2022 1:23 PM

"The cars dealers are DEFINITELY price gouging with their new cars."

Manufacturers have cars but dealers aren't ordering them - for that very reason.

by Anonymousreply 133February 12, 2022 3:03 PM

I will just leave this here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134February 12, 2022 3:56 PM

May I just say to those who think every supermarket is price gouging, that isn't true. I can't speak to every grocer, but I have friends who own a chain. The price you pay is higher because the wholesale prices they pay are now higher.

by Anonymousreply 135February 12, 2022 4:34 PM

Meanwhile the media keeps blaming it on supply line shortages. Maybe once, but now it’s complete bullshit perpetuated by the out of touch media and anyone looking to make political hay.

by Anonymousreply 136February 12, 2022 7:09 PM

[quote] Meanwhile the media keeps blaming it on supply line shortages.

With the trucker block, do you think the US is getting anything from Canada?

And ports in California still aren’t operating 24/7 as they used to.

by Anonymousreply 137February 12, 2022 8:11 PM

R137) I guess you’re right. Those groceries that are made in China are probably stuck on a Canadian truck - those domestically produced groceries (90% of groceries are produced right here), are clogging up the harbors and incoming bridges.

by Anonymousreply 138February 12, 2022 9:28 PM

Laugh all you want r138, but when you have no maple syrup for your pancakes, then we’ll see what you believe.

by Anonymousreply 139February 12, 2022 9:37 PM

Then perhaps this is a good thing, R139. You fat whores don't need carbs and sugar.

by Anonymousreply 140February 12, 2022 9:42 PM

Just by luck...I'm so glad that I bought my leased car in 2020. Who knew or foresaw the higher prices of new and used cars...if you can get one now. What a mess...the price gouging all around. Companies shouldn't get away with this, but then, oversights in general, are breaking down. Our protections are eroding.

by Anonymousreply 141February 13, 2022 12:34 AM

My mother bought a brand new Mazda recently. More than she wanted to pay - being an expensive model rather than gouging - but it was either commit then, or it'd be gone right quick (had just arrived on the lot).

I bought a 2020 Chevy Sonic new in Feb '21, at a fair price, not realizing the shortage was coming.

by Anonymousreply 142February 13, 2022 12:51 AM

I bought a 2020 Lincoln Corsair just after Covid hit. I’ve seen used 2020s selling for pretty much what I paid for mine almost two years ago. Normally, it’d be selling for probably $6-7g less.

by Anonymousreply 143February 13, 2022 1:10 AM

I’ve notice the media is finally reporting this as price gouging and not monetary inflation.

It took them long enough to admit it.

by Anonymousreply 144February 18, 2022 1:27 PM

And then you have these Republican cunts. Democrats need to be screaming from the rooftops. SCREAMING'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145February 18, 2022 1:42 PM

So the deplorables know about t145.

Does anybody know?

That should be major news.

Why is it that the inflation is news and that Biden is so bad is news but the republican’s sabotaging isn't news.

Seems a bit unfair.

by Anonymousreply 146February 18, 2022 2:06 PM

I don't disagree there are some factors that are Covid-19-related that is driving some inflation, like the chip shortage in the auto industry. Has anyone driven past a car dealership - I did recently and thought many had closed? The lots were empty. Why can't this issue be fixed with our technical abilities??? But when you look at the record profits being made by corporations, price gouging is definitely occurring. No other rational explanation for it.

by Anonymousreply 147February 18, 2022 2:55 PM

[quote]I bought a 2020 Chevy Sonic new in Feb '21, at a fair price, not realizing the shortage was coming.

Yeah, but now you have to drive a Chevy Sonic.

by Anonymousreply 148February 18, 2022 3:12 PM

R147 - I think dealerships make more money taking orders. Don’t have to take stock that sits. This is ALL about profits, not inflation.

by Anonymousreply 149February 18, 2022 3:40 PM

Corp. execs are doing this. And they continue to do it because most people are just dumb and don't understand it isn't Biden trying to hurt them. It is the Dems who are doing everything in their power to serve the wealthiest.

by Anonymousreply 150February 18, 2022 3:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 18, 2022 4:06 PM

Sorry: It ISN'T the Dems.

by Anonymousreply 152February 18, 2022 4:08 PM

Beware of price gouging over the next few weeks. Try to warn others too.

You can already see it at the gas stations.

by Anonymousreply 153February 24, 2022 11:05 PM

It’s out of control.

by Anonymousreply 154February 24, 2022 11:12 PM

I guess the corporations are seeing how night they can go before they are held accountable.

by Anonymousreply 155March 10, 2022 5:40 PM

Night, Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 156March 10, 2022 6:37 PM

Surrender, Dorothy!

by Anonymousreply 157March 10, 2022 9:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!