Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Should I get a serval?

Does anyone here own one? So energetic, like a dog in a cat's body!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2022 6:13 PM

OMG it's horrible I'd ask you to lock it in the kitchen when I came round if I knew you.

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2022 12:30 PM

Servals are categorised as dangerous animals under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976, and require a licence to be kept privately. Born Free is very concerned by the risk these and other dangerous wild animals pose when kept as pets or used for birthday parties, 'cuddle' sessions and 'meet and greets'. No matter how domesticated they may become, a serval cat will always be a wild animal at heart and does not make a good pet.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2022 12:33 PM

Would it be able to thrive in a Manhattan apartment?

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2022 12:35 PM

Serval cats are wild animals. Native to many parts of Africa, serval cats roam savannahs and wetlands hunting for prey. They have a poor quality of life when kept as pets.

Serval cats are strong, fast and have an incredible capacity for jumping. In the wild, servals will leap high into the air to catch flying birds, and can slap fish hard enough to stun them. They are not easily house-trained, and will frequently mark their territory with urine. It is extremely challenging to provide for the nutritional and veterinary needs of a wild cat like a serval in captivity.

They are difficult to contain in a home or enclosure setting, and pose a risk to their keepers and the public, and even native wildlife if they escape. Their own safety is also in jeopardy in captivity. Escaped servals have died by being hit by cars or of starvation since they never had the opportunity to learn how to hunt.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2022 12:36 PM

No. They should not be kept as pets.

The serval is NOT a domestic cat.

Even the savannah cat that is a cross between a serval and domestic cat is often too wild for most people to handle.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2022 12:40 PM

Off/topic: what are the DL thoughts about wolf-dogs? Supposedly a dog that is bred with an actual wolf? My gut reaction is to not approve but I admittedly know nothing about having one etc.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2022 12:44 PM

By all means OP!!! If you're a cruel selfish narcissist.

For such people it's the perfect present for themselves: a genetically wild animal that will be bored witless by solitary domestic enclosure, and lack of 8 hours of daily stimulus, into psychosis and depression.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 12:45 PM

OP You may be better off with a Bengal Cat or a Savannah Cat, but both are a real handful.

The best thing you could do is go a a cat rescue centre and adopt a kitten or cat from them.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2022 12:46 PM

We had one but it attacked my grandmother while she was napping in her chair and now she has a plastic ear.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2022 12:49 PM

Domestic house cats have plenty of energy, OP. And are just as beautiful.

As for wolf dogs, not a good idea. They don’t know their own strength.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2022 12:49 PM

[quote] what are the DL thoughts about wolf-dogs?

I guess my counter question would be Why? In business language I would ask for a use case. In a home/pet environment, I wouldn't know what the mix would do better or more effectively. I just cannot see a task or purpose a wolf-dog could do better than a specialized dog breed. Same in the cat world. The serval just doesn't seem to fill a niche in humans' lives that specialized domesticated breeds cannot fill better.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2022 12:51 PM

Grandma got run over by a serval.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2022 2:29 PM

Get one, OP!

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2022 2:43 PM

Maybe you could arrange with your local animal shelter to give you the bodies of unwanted euthanized cats to feed to your serval.

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2022 2:53 PM

[quote] As for wolf dogs, not a good idea. They don’t know their own strength.

Neither did I!

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2022 2:57 PM

[quote] I guess my counter question would be Why? In business language I would ask for a use case

They do look really close to a real wolves. And they are big. I’m not arguing for breeding them. I’m just sharing what the owners I’ve seen seem to like about them.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2022 6:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!