Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Making dinner for someone special in a few days

So far I've decided upon braised leeks and seared scallops. What else should I make? Any dessert ideas?

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2022 5:54 PM

Pineapple.

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2022 7:59 AM

Is Gregg still around? I bet he can add some pizzazz to your fancy eating table.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2022 8:02 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2022 8:06 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2022 8:12 AM

Not if he's into piss play, R3.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2022 8:24 AM

Make a seafood stew!!

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2022 9:05 AM

a hit with the gay guests at a party I went to….my lovely story got messed up, here & im not typing it again.

Raspberry was the best My daughter made an espresso/mocha one that was also a hit. She also made lemon, lime, and chocolate. They were all fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 6:36 PM

Also, this is a pretty dessert and something different. Everyone makes traditional tiramisu.

I picked Giada’s recipe because it is closest to the recipe my ex’s family from Italy used. Passed down through the years and all.

I have been buying strawberries 2x a week at Aldi since Christmas, and they are exceptionally good right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2022 6:40 PM

Oh I’m so looking forward to this thread. Cheers OP. Hope your dinner goes well with all the ‘suggestions’ you’ll be getting.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2022 8:45 PM

Baked Apple Rose Tarts with Honey Butter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2022 9:01 PM

Hmm.... maybe it's just me but I would not care for braised leeks. You need a starch and maybe something less offensive than leeks. (Hate leeks & green onions/scallions)

Also scallops are kind of light. What about a risotto and some roasted aspargus instead? Or broccolini?

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2022 9:05 PM

Goldschlager Truffles

ngredients 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate (chopped) 1 cup heavy cream 2 tablespoons Goldschlager Edible gold leaf

Directions 1. Place the chocolate in a bowl. Bring the cream to a boil and pour over the chocolate, let sit for 1 minute and then whisk together. Add the Goldschlager. Cool and refrigerate until firm. Scoop and roll the truffles and refrigerate until firm.

2. Roll the truffles in tempered chocolate. Tear small-pieces of gold leaf and place on truffle.

Notes: For a stronger flavor subtract cream and add Goldschlager in its place. Flavored liqeurs can be added in place of the Goldschlager. However, Crème de Menthe can be very strong and so use caution when adding in. Taste test to make sure. For a firmer truffle use less cream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2022 9:12 PM

Vanilla ice cream would be the crown jewel at the conclusion of your boringly bland meal.

Remember to drain the leeks.

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2022 9:26 PM

Okay, DLers, 'fess up as to who of you is the lucky dinner guest. Eat before you go.

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2022 9:30 PM

'Special' individuals like Spam and macaroni 'n cheese.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2022 9:40 PM

Judy Garland Salad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2022 9:42 PM

Is this the 3-times divorced person?

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2022 9:42 PM

Ricotta Crostini with Brussels Sprouts (just add some crumbled bacon or pork rinds)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2022 9:44 PM

Lemon Bars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2022 10:00 PM

This will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2022 10:45 PM

R19 beat me to it. They’re easy and delicious and no one ever serves them. A lemon dessert is always welcome.

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2022 11:35 PM

When making your selection, please keep in mind bowel movements- as the evening could lead to anal.

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2022 11:56 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! Even the pointless bitchery comments at R13 and R14 is appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2022 5:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!