Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What language did Mayor Pete learn to read a book?

What book?

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2022 2:59 PM

The man go up in the man book.

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2022 5:48 AM

Norwegian.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2022 6:01 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2022 6:11 AM

Is it your language OP? If so, obviously not English.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2022 6:25 AM

Spanish. Book: Diario íntimo de una pomposa gilipollas by Gabriel de la Cueva, 5th Duke of Alburquerque

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2022 6:28 AM

Sanskrit. Kama sutra.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2022 6:56 AM

OP is missing a crucial comma

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 7:33 AM

r4 has an incomplete sentence

how embarrassing for you

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2022 7:38 AM

where would the comma go r7

honestly curious

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2022 7:39 AM

Valley of the Dolls

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2022 7:42 AM

Mommie Dearest- like all Faggots!!!!

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2022 7:46 AM

The title of this thread demonstrates such a poor grasp of English that it's difficult to know how to correct it so that it makes sense. Part of the problem is that the question appears without any context.

If OP had written, "I read that Mayor Pete learned a language new to him in order to read a book written in that language. What language did Mayor Pete learn to read that book?" his question would have been much clearer. r2 and r3 figured out the context, and their answers helped me to understand the original question, which otherwise would have mystified me forever.

Without context, most English speakers would read OP's question and answer, "English, you damn fool". And the answer to the next question would be "See Dick Run".

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2022 8:16 AM

If you couldn't figure out the context of the post you wouldn't have been able to answer it r12.

I should have put "in order" to read a book in the title but this is an internet forum and not a PhD dissertation. It doesn't merit that much thought when posting.

Jeesh the grammar trolls are relentless

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2022 8:23 AM

Or you could have substituted “in order” with the aforementioned comma (to answer r9’s question).

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2022 8:33 AM

For crissakes the English sucked but we figured it out within 3 posts. Is there anything else to say about weird Mayor Pete. He's a mixed bag, isn't he? Typical Harvard show off.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2022 10:03 AM

I have known people like Pete to claim things almost exactly like this before and to a man they have all been liars.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2022 10:18 AM

R12 - I came at this from a different perspective.

While I agree that the OP's question is poorly worded and would have been helped by providing a context, another way to approach it is to have completely rewritten the question without the need for a context.

Maybe wording it like this would have been preferable:

"In what languages is Mayor Pete a fluent reader?"

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2022 10:33 AM

Who to the what, dear?

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2022 10:50 AM

Mayor Pete's ambitions almost certainly exceed his political skills.

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2022 11:04 AM

In spite of what r16 thinks he knows about Pete Buttegieg, the man has demonstrated a number of times that he is a polyglot (a person who can speak multiple languages). I doubt he is fully fluent in all of them all of the time. Even with polyglots, fluency demands a lot of refreshing., conversation and studying. Such people do exist. You can find numerous examples on youtube. They are rarer among Americans, for whom the knowledge of even one other language is a rarity. Polyglots are more common where multiple languages are spoken within a very small geographic area. (For example, in Switzerland). It is always impressive to me to here the prime minister of Canada deliver a speech in English and then immediately repeat it in Quebecois. Likewise, the prime ministers of Ireland will often give a speech in English and then again in Gaelic.

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2022 8:24 AM

Hear, not here^

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2022 8:25 AM

He can polyglot all over my face.

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2022 9:12 AM

Norwegian

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2022 2:37 PM

The language of love, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2022 2:42 PM

To be fair, Norwegian is the easiest language for English speakers to learn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2022 2:45 PM

The Maltese Falcon.

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2022 2:58 PM

Norwegian. He taught himself the language while reading a book on the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2022 2:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!