Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just cancel the stupid filibuster already…

McConnel is going to do this on his first day back as majority leader. Day one. (Assuming the rethuglican scumbags win one net seat in 2022).

So the Dems should do it now or else Kristin and Joe M. will look like fools.

by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2022 4:09 PM

Changing the rules to gain a short-term advantage is risky.

We - the Democrats - successfully used the filibuster in the past to achieve legislation and to stop what we considered damaging legislation.

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2022 4:02 AM

Well, I was on the fence on out this for that very reason, r1.

And also because I don’t trust the squad and this could be one of their tricks.

I realize I’m in the minority, but I don’t believe the squad has pure intentions. Frankly, I don’t trust them.

They all came out of nowhere and all secured these safe seats that allow them to be troublemakers for the Democratic Party and still get re-elected. It all seems a little too perfect.

But now we have to take things as they are, and if it’s true that they can pass some safeguards to democracy, then they should drop the stupid thing.

It’s as good as dead anyway. Mitch will kill it, with glee, if they stay their supposed track to win 2022. Let’s hope they don’t.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2022 4:52 AM

The "squad" is short sighted and not very bright. They talk a good game, but they seem oblivious to reality and common sense. Zealots rarely make good leaders or good legislators.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2022 5:03 AM

Maybe the Repugnants will come to the table and negotiate some deals that will make lives better for U.S. Americans?

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2022 5:18 AM

The Squad are all members of the House and the filibuster is a Senate rule.

A lot of you people would fail an 8th grade civics test.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2022 5:35 AM

The squad are the main people calling for the end of the filibuster. They are driving this narrative. They are the ones who come up with these extreme tactics and then make them the middle.

The squad is LEADING the call to end the filibuster. Even though they are in the house.

I believe r5 owes the thread an apology.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2022 3:15 PM

Be careful what you wish for. This will come around to bite the Dems in the ass when they are in the minority.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 3:17 PM

R7 have you read the thread? Why be so stupid and lazy? Don’t contribute if you’re going to phone it in.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2022 3:24 PM

The DNC needs to go after Chuck Todd and his daily smear campaign against the Democratic Party.

He is so blatant about making stuff up to make democrats look like republicans: “both sides are the same” b.s.

He spend the entire day yesterday blaming Harry Reid for the filibuster being suspended and never mentioned WHY Reid was FORCED to remove the filibuster to get Obama’s appointees.

Chuck Todd is a liar and a propagandist and should not be allowed to get away with his intentional hits and smears against democrats.

He has a provincial disposition and would be better suited as a mechanic in Dayton Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2022 3:29 PM

Somebody tell me how this bald, ugly deplorable got a job at NBC. He looks like the janitor.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2022 3:31 PM

What's with the "the squad! The squad is sooo dangerous! Better not change things and let the Republicans fuck everything up, because the SQUAD is much worse than whatever the Republicans are doing! Leave the Republicans alone and let them do their thing!" bullshit? Like, WTF?

It's never blamed on guys like Mitch McConnell that drastic measures are considered in the first place. It's always the "Oh, we shouldn't make the Conservatives mad, they might retaliate! No, let them do their thing! Let's just sit back and complain how the Dems do nothing".

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2022 3:37 PM

Why doesn’t the squad ever go after McConnel or McCartny?

They are always trashing democrats and never doing any actual work. They are so buddy buddy with republicans.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2022 3:40 PM

The "filibuster" is appalling. This rule that you need 60 votes to proceed with legislation only dates back to the 1970s, not the early years of the country, and has been increasingly used by the right wing against Democrats (dropping it, as posters upthread have pointed out, when it got in their own way).

Maybe make the filibusterer actually hold the floor like Mr. Smith, with a bag lunch and a pair of Depends? That practice started around the 1850s. But this super-majority rule is a tool of oligarchy and corruption.

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2022 3:43 PM

Not ONLY will Mitch kill the filibuster, he will expand SCOTUS and stack it. DUH

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2022 3:46 PM

People like r14 are not thinking. There is little advantage in eliminating the filibuster if you a) don’t have the Presidency and b) don’t have the desire to pass legislation. McConnell has no reason to overturn the filibuster until 2025 at the earliest. Similarly, why on Earth would he try to pack a Court that is already stacked 6-3 in his favor?

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2022 3:51 PM

R15 because he can. But your point about not having the presidency is taken. Congress can only override a President's veto with 2/3 vote.

HOWEVER, if the Republicans REALLY get their laws in place, they could steal their way to 2/3 this November. They aren't fucking around. The 1%, corporations, banks, and WHITE MEN, will be served. They held their noses and supported trump. THEY WILL GIVE NO POWER TO THE DARKIES AND THE WORKERS.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2022 3:57 PM

R16, hysterics are not helpful. In fact, responses like yours are exactly (EXACTLY in your language) what Republican strategists need to win.

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2022 4:03 PM

Oh puleaze. If all Republicans need to win are blow hard lefties like myself, they wouldn't be passing laws to nullify the vote counts for lefties.

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2022 4:57 PM

The best way to cancel the filibuster is to accuse of something and then start a cancel campaign.

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2022 5:06 PM

OP, Trump got crosswise with McConnell because McConnell refused his demands to blow up the filibuster rule in its entirety.

by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2022 5:14 PM

This cunt, again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2022 5:25 PM

Does anyone think that if Sinema were a Republican, she would dare do anything to hold up their legislation? No. Why? Because she would be destroyed by the party. But the Dems are too weak to pull the power play and she and Manchin realize that they have the ultimate power over the entire party. Even though some Republican senators know that proposed legislation is best for the country, why do they vote against it? To protect their constituents? no. To protect their jobs. This is the one thing Trump has done successfully - intimidate anyone who dares disagree or question. Dems need the power broker. Wasn't Biden supposed to be able to negotiate the Senate because he was such an integral part of it? Well, he thinks it still runs the way it did when he was a member - compromise. These Republicans will never compromise on anything. Sinema and Manchin must be crushed.

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2022 6:29 PM

McConnell and Senate Republicans love the horrid bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2022 8:20 PM

How are her approval ratings in AZ?

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2022 9:10 PM

According to this discussion, Sinema is actually deluded enough to think than she can run for president in 2024 and have a chance of winning as a centrist, and this is what's driving her. Can she really be that deluded? I doubt she can muster anything like the base required.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2022 9:27 PM

I wish a GOP Senator from a state with a Dem governor would drop dead and have that Governor appoint a Democrat in their place.

Although KY has a Dem governor Andy Beshear, their state legislators created a law against this. The constitutionality of that law is iffy at best and Beshear would likely ignore it if old Mitch were to keel over anytime soon! Fingers crossed!

by Anonymousreply 26January 13, 2022 9:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 13, 2022 10:06 PM

The two Democrats In Name Only will lose their unearned "status" and finally will not be as news worthy.

by Anonymousreply 28January 13, 2022 10:14 PM

R5 Schools stopped teaching civics. Wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 29January 13, 2022 10:23 PM

R25 She is that deluded.

by Anonymousreply 30January 13, 2022 10:27 PM

It's obvious Manchin and Sinema have already obtained assurances from McConnell he won't flip this after midterms. They're not stupid.

by Anonymousreply 31January 13, 2022 10:39 PM

[quote]Schools stopped teaching civics. Wonder why.

Schools have not stopped teaching civics, why do people keep saying this?

The problem is same as ever the stupid kids don't pay attention and think it doesn't apply to their lives so you end up with detached, retarded, uninformed citizens!

by Anonymousreply 32January 13, 2022 10:44 PM

Bitch McConnell is elderly and sickly. He’s also a well-known liar. Getting “assurances” from him that he won’t do something in a couple years…shows that Manchin and Sinema are even stupider than previously thought.

by Anonymousreply 33January 13, 2022 10:45 PM

[quote]According to this discussion, Sinema is actually deluded enough to think than she can run for president in 2024 and have a chance of winning as a centrist, and this is what's driving her. Can she really be that deluded? I doubt she can muster anything like the base required.

She could win if she runs as a Republican. The only thing she’s accomplished in the Senate is “owning the libs”.

by Anonymousreply 34January 13, 2022 10:48 PM

Manchin is cynical enough to know that McConnell will trash the filibuster whenever it's convenient for him to do so, if it's in his power. Sinema, who knows; she may be deluded enough to believe whatever Mitch tells her. No, R34, Sinema won't win the Republican base, certainly not as a presidential candidate. She'd be the Republican Tulsi Gabbard, only dumber.

by Anonymousreply 35January 13, 2022 10:50 PM

R32 People keep saying it for a reason; it is not ubiquitous as it once was such as English, Math, etc.

Love your use of “retarded”.

by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2022 10:53 PM

The intention of changing the rules of the filibuster for the purpose of shoring up and protecting the voting rights act is to prevent our democracy from become an autocracy.

by Anonymousreply 37January 13, 2022 11:22 PM

[quote]The intention of changing the rules of the filibuster for the purpose of shoring up and protecting the voting rights act is to prevent our democracy from become an autocracy.

Whatever!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2022 12:15 AM

Can Schumer strip Manchin and Kristin of their committes?

They are clearly on the side of republicans. STRIP THEM OF EVERYTHING.

DO IT BEFORE MLK DAY

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2022 1:09 PM

As I posted in another thread, I think the solution to this is simple: just offer more bribe money to these two grifters than they're getting from their 'donors', Koch, Murdoch et al.

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2022 2:55 PM

#doublethebribe

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2022 3:01 PM

I get the Sinema hate, but I just can’t extend that to Manchin. Whatever we get - if only judges - from a Democrat elected to the Senate from West Bugtussle is gravy to me.

by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2022 4:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!