Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What a day,

Schumer finds loophole to advance elections reform package and to bypass the filibuster and Joe Biden sets the firing of DeJoy in motion.

Who says Democrats are weak?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 14, 2022 6:31 PM

Good news!

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2022 1:50 AM

What’s the loophole?

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2022 1:51 AM

Splendid news, OP.

Thank you kindly for sharing.

I needed to hear some good news today.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2022 1:52 AM

Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and Oprah Winfrey have called Joe Manchin and urged him to back killing the filibuster so the Democrats can pass voting rights legislation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2022 1:58 AM

Axios is a piece of shit and writing things like this, is why...

[quote]The strategy is the latest example of how Democrats are seeking new ways to try to bypass Senate procedures that are blocking their agenda.

There are no procedures blocking the Democrats. There are ALL THE FUCKING REPUGS blocking everything and bringing the government to a fucking standstill during one of the worst times in this country's history in order to try to make sure that they are free to steal the next election by blocking black people from voting and they need to start fucking saying as much.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2022 2:01 AM

This article says that the new Postal Board Chairman is backing DeJoy and he won't be fired. In fact the new Chairman is encouraging congress to pass DeJoy's reforms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2022 2:06 AM

Is this the same USPS that will be responsible for delivering President Biden's promised covid tests to our homes? Will they arrive in time for Christmas 2022?

We are so fucked.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 2:18 AM

Upon reading the Axios article, this parliamentary maneuver will only get the legislation to debate on the Senate floor. It would still need 60 votes to pass, and there is no chance of that.

It is ultimately a silly game. The days of "shaming" senators by making them vote for or against legislation are over. There is nowhere near ten Republican senators who are in danger of not being reelected in 2022. The people who vote for them will not care of their Senator votes against this bill. Claiming a victory here, Democrats show that they are woefully out of touch with this country's voters.

*yawn*

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2022 2:18 AM

[quote]they need to start fucking saying as much.

Are you living under a rock, that's been the talk of the day for years. Everybody knows the GQP are targeting Black people in any way and with every dirty trick in the book possible.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2022 2:19 AM

If Schumer were weak he wouldn't be where he is. I know DL doesn't like him but I do.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2022 2:21 AM

Pay attention R8

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., will try this month to pass a federal elections bill backed by his full 50-member caucus. If Republicans block the plan as expected, the Senate will debate possible rules changes to bypass the filibuster and allow a voting-rights measure [bold]to pass with a simple majority[/bold], Schumer wrote to Democrats on Monday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2022 2:22 AM

R9, as the quote fucking clearly shows, that is not how things are reported. Anyone without a shithead rightwing agendy knows that when the Democrats blocked things it as reported far and wide that the Democrats were being obstructionists. That is not how the reporting goes when the Repugs commit far worse levels of obstruction and cheating. And, all of this while the Democrats have an even smaller majority to work with. Go ahead and link to the mainstream media holding the Repugs to task as obstructionists without also bothsiderism-ing it.

[quote]Upon reading the Axios article, this parliamentary maneuver will only get the legislation to debate on the Senate floor. It would still need 60 votes to pass, and there is no chance of that.

The Repugs don't want the debate. What are their arguments possibly going to be? It will put a stark spotlight on the Repugs racist, cheating-based agenda.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2022 2:30 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2022 2:31 AM

When I get depressed over the state of politics, and how the Republican party has become a flaming pile of shit with Trump pouring more gasoline on the pyre, I re-watch 'Lincoln' or I read the book, 'Team of Rivals', on which the film was based. Not that I think the GQP will step up to the plate for our Nation or the do the "right" thing like is depicted in either of those. But both the book and the film make me proud that, once upon a time, we had enough representatives who prioritized country over party, and did the right thing at the right time. Who stepped up to the plate in a big, big way. Both parties. Led by a brave, kind president. W

We could do that again, now. I know we won't. But we did once. I like to reminisce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2022 2:33 AM

Re: R13: It's ridiculous and tiresome that the Daily Mail is concentrating on President Biden leaving out one word in his speech when the United States has elected Representatives who tried to stage a coup with the former President, attempted to discount 81 million American's votes, and are trying to keep millions more Americans from being able to vote or having their votes count in upcoming elections.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2022 2:45 AM

[quote]The Repugs don't want the debate.

Of course repugs don't want a debate. If you re waiting for that you can wait forever. Not sure what you are talking about democrats obstructing??

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2022 2:47 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2022 2:47 AM

R16, you're not smart enough to talk to.

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2022 2:49 AM

Are you typing from Moscow R18??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2022 2:55 AM

It's the only way to cross the Mersey, R17.

by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2022 3:20 AM

This whole stunt is theater to show Black civil rights leaders that they did everything they could do, but it wasn't enough. I wish people would realize this by now.

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2022 3:42 AM

McTurdle doesn't care about the American people. They're just pawns for an impotent old queen trying to destroy 'lefties' (LGBTQ, minorities, women, etc.). He'll never stop til he's dead.

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2022 3:49 AM

Reading some of the replies i'm left wondering how exactly are Americans prevented from voting?

Too many of the younger gens trying to text their votes in?

by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2022 3:54 AM

I like Schumer. His hair and glasses remind me of Dr. Oro Myicin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2022 3:56 AM

R16, I take it back. You can talk to R23.

by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2022 5:00 AM

Gerrymandered districts in Ohio struck down.

by Anonymousreply 26January 13, 2022 6:08 AM

Thank god

by Anonymousreply 27January 13, 2022 1:21 PM

[quote]Who says Democrats are weak?[quote]

Democrats. Speaking of them as a group, they are the most self-hating, self-sabotaging, self-flagellating motherfuckers on earth. The only thing Republicans have is party unity, but that's a massive advantage. Look at the Black politicians boycotting Biden's speech in Georgia earlier this week. Great move. That'll show the Repukes we're all on the same page, right?

by Anonymousreply 28January 13, 2022 1:33 PM

Now I'm confused. If Schumer can get this onto the Senate floor without a filibuster can it pass on a simple majority or no?

by Anonymousreply 29January 13, 2022 1:41 PM

I read somewhere that these tests should not be stored below 32 degrees. The post office and mailmen/women can't possibly keep to that. Not this winter.

by Anonymousreply 30January 13, 2022 1:41 PM

Yes it can R29.

by Anonymousreply 31January 13, 2022 6:23 PM

As long as you have treacherous, back stabbing cunts like Letitia James in the party, Democrats will never be able to present a unified front to the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 32January 13, 2022 6:39 PM

Sinema is sabotaging again. 😤

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 13, 2022 7:10 PM

She’s a royal cunt, Arizonans should be furious

by Anonymousreply 34January 13, 2022 7:20 PM

🎶"Stacey guides us note by note. Stacey carries lots of clout. Stacey says we vote, we vote. Stacey says sit it out, we sit it out."🎶

(Sung to the tune of Blossom Dearie's "My Attorney Bernie.")

by Anonymousreply 35January 13, 2022 7:24 PM

What's wrong with making someone show ID to vote? You need it to do everything else in this country and around the world.

by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2022 11:14 PM

I don't know why Sinema and Manchin remain Dems at this point. They are giving Moscow Mitch everything he wants, so why not make it official, cross the aisle, and caucus as Rs?

by Anonymousreply 37January 13, 2022 11:22 PM

R10 and Chuck is proud of his lesbian daughter and her wife.

by Anonymousreply 38January 13, 2022 11:32 PM

[quote]Chuck is proud of his lesbian daughter and her wife.

As is Dick Cheney, R38; what's your point?

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2022 1:58 AM

"This whole stunt is theater to show Black civil rights leaders that they did everything they could do, but it wasn't enough. I wish people would realize this by now."

They did do all they could do. Don't blame all Dems for the fact that Sinema and Manchin are cunts

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2022 2:16 AM

Its a terrible legislation. In no democratic country do they not require IDs. If you want to vote, you need an ID. India a developing nation verifies all voters and issues ID. European nations require ID to vote. And no canvassing is allowed near the polling booths. And early voting defeats the purpose, as until the last day of the election things may change. If they allow early voting then they need to also allow for a change of vote on the election day. The federal government can mandate that there should be more polling places for every 10000 people or something like that, and need to clearly define the papers needed for verification of IDs and make sure that states issue IDs. And also they should allow for nonpartisan who have to register with the government to provide transportation, probably food for people in line, and mandate a holiday. All these things same-day registration etc, anyone can claim and vote. It is terrible terrible legislation and anti-democratic.

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2022 2:20 AM

I don’t understand why Biden allows,Sinema,and Manchin to play games with him. It’s been clear,for months, they wouldn’t support filibuster reform or BBB. Why not pass something they will say yes to and not look pathetic in public when they skunk you.

by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2022 2:29 AM

I wish, as far as Sinema and Manchin are concerned, they would follow the money and hold a kleiglight to it. They must have secret $wiss bank accounts with deep payoffs from lobbyists and whoever. None of their actions pass the smell test. They've dug their heels in and none of it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2022 2:46 AM

Why does Oprah have a phone number? Stupid fat cow.

by Anonymousreply 44January 14, 2022 2:55 AM

I really truly wish someone (anyone) would have the cojones to suggest, on live tv, that we just pay bigger bribes to these two whores than they're getting from Koch, Murdoch, Big Pharma et al. That would work.....

by Anonymousreply 45January 14, 2022 2:56 AM

[quote] In no democratic country do they not require IDs.

Yes they do. Even the UK is introducing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 14, 2022 2:57 AM

And yet, R41, here in America the Republican party has made is blazingly clear they need to make voting as difficult as possible to elect more Republicans.

Go look at the history of Jim Crow and get back to us. Until then don't pontificate on American elections as you clearly don't understand the circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 47January 14, 2022 3:04 AM

Manchin is up for re-election in Meth Virginia in November. In 2018 he won by only 19,000 votes. I hope they get rid of him. He's useless to the Democrats.

If every anti-Republican voted in November the Democrats could take the House and Senate. But they won't. The Pink Pussyhats will pout that Santa didn't bring them everything they wanted.

Let's see what the Republicans bring them.

by Anonymousreply 48January 14, 2022 3:07 AM

While we're at it, R41, tell your troll farm supervisors to come up with more persuasive talking points, because they clearly didn't do their research on US elections.

by Anonymousreply 49January 14, 2022 3:07 AM

R49 okay granted I am not in the know, then explain who is getting suppressed and how?

by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2022 3:12 AM

Kyrsten Sinema's speech was written by someone from Charles Koch Heritage Foundation. Guarantee it. KS is a stupid lying cunt with a smellier pussy than Cheryl-and that is saying a lot.BTW, Sinema said she is not a member of any religion yet today the lying POS wore a sweet little cross as she choked back tears after giving the middle finger to Biden, Arizonans and decent humans everywhere.

BTW R41 The things you listed in the anti voting bills are the least of what the Repugs are doing. Look it up dumboetski-.

by Anonymousreply 51January 14, 2022 3:14 AM

They always make it hard for urban areas to vote, while at the same time, doing everything they can to make it easy as possible for rural conservative areas to vote, while screwing over minorities.

I just can't believe this type of shit us allowed to happen in today's America.

by Anonymousreply 52January 14, 2022 6:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!