Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

US Consumer Prices Soar At Fastest In 39 Years (1983)

Real Wages Tumble For 9th Straight Month ("I'll Tumble 4 U")

Inflation at 7%

Did your wages go up? If not, you LOST money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176January 18, 2022 12:25 PM

I doubt I’ll be getting a 7% increase in March.

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2022 1:46 PM

The husbear likes a particular brand of corn chips. Over the last year their price rose from $2 to $2.29 then yesterday I saw they now cost $2.99. That's a huge price rise.

I fully expect the same trend across the board.

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2022 1:48 PM

Stop buying stuff. Stop contributing to the demand that's pushing prices up. I'm cutting out all discretionary spending. Fuck the companies raising prices.

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2022 1:49 PM

Is this Biden's fault or the Republicans'?

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2022 1:50 PM

Jeez, it's almost like we've had a two year global catastrophe and there are economic effects.

Americans are so fucking ridiculous. They'll end up voting to end democracy because chips are a dollar more.

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2022 1:50 PM

"Is this Biden's fault or the Republicans'?"

Dump this shit right at the feet of the Orange Baboon and the Republicans. Wharton grad and "expert" businessman Trump should have foreseen this happening, if he had bothered to do any planning and coordination for the future way back in March of 2020 when COVID started going down. Instead, he and other Republicans were shooting off their mouths about how COVID was just the flu, who COVID would be eradicated by the heat of summer 2020, and a lot of other happy horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2022 1:55 PM

Trader Joe's? Raised prices between 15 and 25 percent. Mandarin oranges were priced at 3 dollars per bag. The serving size has been reduced from 8 from 12 oranges per bag, that is a higher price increase than 25 percent. Bananas are the same cost, 19 cents each.

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2022 2:14 PM

Its time for soups, stews, roasted sheet pan vegetables and eggs.

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2022 2:28 PM

I eat a lot of rice. Only.

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2022 2:30 PM

This is partly the Democrat's fault. You can't keep pumping money into the economy without getting inflation. I think a big issue is rising wages. People deserve more money but it will make goods and services more expensive for them. It's a balancing act to keep wages ahead of inflation. So far we're losing. Maybe after covid, more workers back at work will help.

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2022 2:43 PM

Partly supply chain but also a perfect opportunity for the oligarchs to raise prices across the board

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2022 2:45 PM

Don't worry - inflation is not happening. And even if it is, it's transitory. Also, it's just exercise bikes and other things you don't really need that are going up in price. Also, inflation is good because it shows the economy is going strong. Also, wages were up 1.5% last year.

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2022 2:46 PM

[quote] if he had bothered to do any planning and coordination for the future way back in March of 2020 when COVID started going down

Or even before, when he junked Obama's pandemic defense plan and dissolved the pandemic response team.

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2022 2:48 PM

R12 Delivered in the cuntiest of tones.

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2022 2:49 PM

Time to plant a garden. (I live in Florida).

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2022 2:53 PM

Carter was vilified for decades by the GOP (he was their go-to boogieman before Hillary) and most people agreed with it because they remembered how high gas prices were. That was it. Reaganomics and burgeoning fascism and all the other stuff was secondary to the anger they felt at the gas pump, which they remembered because of all the Tonight Show jokes about it.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2022 2:53 PM

R16, what about all the old people on fixed incomes who were forced to eat cat food because of Carter?

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2022 2:55 PM

Gruel for most of us while the uber rich carry on normally.

by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2022 2:56 PM

People feel rising prices directly in their lives. Burgeoning fascism doesn't hit them in the wallet. Inflation is especially hard on fixed income seniors who tend to vote. Hopefully, this eases up before November, 2022.

by Anonymousreply 19January 12, 2022 2:56 PM

Stop consuming.

by Anonymousreply 20January 12, 2022 2:57 PM

Gosh it's almost as if spending 4 years attacking and vilifying the labor force that processes the American food supply was a stupid mistake.

by Anonymousreply 21January 12, 2022 2:59 PM

[Quote]Also, it's just exercise bikes and other things you don't really need that are going up in price.

WTF? Food prices, dear.

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2022 3:02 PM

People are sick. Infected and in quarantine. People are still dying. Covid fucked things up permanently. The money situation is noticeable to me and I'm a spendthrift with a shopping problem.

by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2022 3:03 PM

Inflation is a non-issue, and those who complain about it are fascists.

The White House should continue to spend time and money fighting the real issues, like systemic racism and trans issues.

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2022 3:04 PM

Biden administration has many fires to put out at once, unenviable never-ending challenges.

by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2022 3:07 PM

Nice try, R24. Keep voting for the party that lowers wages, crashes the economy every time they're in power, and channels wealth to the tiny .01%.

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2022 3:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2022 3:11 PM

Except 7% is the highest yearly inflation rate in 40 years. So yes, it's a problem.

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2022 3:15 PM

To be fair it does say “from a year earlier.”

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2022 3:15 PM

Pandemic + Massive Transfers of Pandemic Relief Funds To Consumers + Massive Logistical Disruptions Due To Pandemic

Why does everyone act surprised by inflation?

by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2022 3:17 PM

Inflation is a problem - it's a concrete thing that people see every time they go to the grocery store. To pretend it's not a big deal is dumb. However, there's a decent case to be made that it's basically Trump's doing. The Dems should make it.

Does anyone think that if Trump had somehow won the election, and inflation were still surging, he would hesitate to blame Pelosi or Schumer or AOC or Alec Baldwin or Fauci or literally anyone?

by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2022 3:18 PM

that's really cheap, r2. My favorite corn chip brand are $5.

by Anonymousreply 32January 12, 2022 3:24 PM

Biden’s America!

by Anonymousreply 33January 13, 2022 11:44 AM

01/06/2022

by Anonymousreply 34January 13, 2022 11:57 AM

[quote] Did your wages go up? If not, you LOST money.

This is ALWAYS true (unless there is deflation, which is extremely rare).

by Anonymousreply 35January 13, 2022 12:02 PM

[quote] I eat a lot of rice. Only.

Add brown vegetables!

by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2022 12:31 PM

Indicator: Whole Foods Cashews, 16 oz. bag (Sep 21): $8.99. 10 oz. bag (Jan 22): $8.99.

by Anonymousreply 37January 13, 2022 12:51 PM

I actually don't see any real increases in food cost so far. But I am poor and only shop at Safeway and Target!

by Anonymousreply 38January 13, 2022 12:54 PM

[quote] Biden administration has many fires to put out at once, unenviable never-ending challenges.

Every administration does. That’s why the presidency ages people. Did you see how much grayer Clinton and Obama became upon leaving office?

by Anonymousreply 39January 13, 2022 1:36 PM

Every Republican since Reagan has waltzed into a growing economy and then proceeded to wreck it.

by Anonymousreply 40January 13, 2022 1:45 PM

Every Democrat since LBJ has planted an economic time bomb that has gone off only after the voters wisely through him out of office.

by Anonymousreply 41January 13, 2022 4:03 PM

Through?

by Anonymousreply 42January 13, 2022 4:16 PM

Haven’t had time to read this thread but consider this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 13, 2022 4:19 PM

Corporate profits are through the roof. The inflation in almost all cases is corporate price gouging, pure and simple. They saw the opportunity to raise prices without getting massive consumer pushback, and they took it.

by Anonymousreply 44January 13, 2022 4:25 PM

How can one not notice food prices rising? It's everywhere. I don't blame Biden. One just wonders how far this is going to go because you know these prices are never going to be lowered

by Anonymousreply 45January 13, 2022 4:28 PM

R44 amen!

This whole thing is a scam. Gas prices never had to go up. They are making mountains of profits. Record braking. Unheard of margins.

The average consumer has no clue. They are being literally ripped of blind.

by Anonymousreply 46January 13, 2022 4:31 PM

Looking forward to my 1.8% cost of living raise at work this year.

by Anonymousreply 47January 13, 2022 4:31 PM

Multi housing conglomerates all raised their rents at the same time and could be some collusion and price fixing going on in the rental markets.

We need some answers. Why aren’t these corporate CEOs being hauled in front of Congress?

All this corporate greed is coming home to roost.

by Anonymousreply 48January 13, 2022 4:33 PM

If profits are at a record, then many new businesses will be opening up to undercut existing businesses on price and take some of their profits.

When that happens, prices will go down. Problem solved! It's the Invisible Hand of free market forces, which economists and educated people have known about since the days of Adam Smith.

by Anonymousreply 49January 13, 2022 4:51 PM

Here come the econ parlor tricks @R49

by Anonymousreply 50January 13, 2022 5:00 PM

“many new businesses will be opening up”.

I got news for you, this only happens in “free markets” in Econ books aka fairy tales.

by Anonymousreply 51January 13, 2022 5:02 PM

Haha, R49, you're so droll! Surely you know that competitive free markets are only for the little people.

by Anonymousreply 52January 13, 2022 5:19 PM

Wages have increased for new hires. For everyone else who worked during the enitire pandemic, our wages stayed the same.

My company has made more money than ever. I refuse to work as hard as I used to. I won't work overtime either.

by Anonymousreply 53January 13, 2022 5:28 PM

R53 gets it. It is not inflation if corporations are realizing huge profits. It’s just PRICE GOUGING

by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2022 5:53 PM

“Wages have increased for new hires”

Now they are up to 1990s wages instead of 1970s wages.

by Anonymousreply 55January 13, 2022 5:54 PM

[quote] Record braking.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 56January 13, 2022 7:05 PM

Cars are the worst. The manufacturers have cottoned onto the model of selling fewer with much higher profit margins. These “chips” will never get sorted out and the deals are gone forever.

by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2022 7:19 PM

"through him out of office"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2022 7:20 PM

The automakers might be outsmarting themselves. It used to be the norm for people to drive cars for many years. Now everyone wants a new car every 2-3 years. If we can all get used to driving cars10-12 years again, the automakers will be fucked.

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2022 9:46 PM

What was the "economic time bomb" that Clinton planted? The one where Bush's bank regulators were so lax that they let the economy blow up seven years after he got elected?

What was the one that Obama planted? Was he the one who managed to convince Trump to do nothing to stop the onslaught of Covid?

What fucking nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2022 10:22 PM

Joe - You've been there a year now.

Fix it or get out.

by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2022 10:24 PM

Good thing the stock market is keeping pace with it.

by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2022 10:27 PM

I love dum-dums like R61 who cosplay at tough-talking realists but have zero idea what to actually do.

by Anonymousreply 63January 13, 2022 10:30 PM

R63 - you're saying it's my job to do Biden's job. Fuck you and him.

He's a fucking old dinosaur, and there's no reason for you to suck his withered old man cock because politics.

Get covid and die.

by Anonymousreply 64January 13, 2022 10:33 PM

It will only affect the upper classes. Poor people are already too poor to buy anything but necessities.

by Anonymousreply 65January 13, 2022 10:35 PM

This is part of an email I sent to my property mgr today. The theme is that businesses will use stupid ass excuses that are transparently a swot of lies in order to cover up their inherent contempt for their customers. They hate us, we are the major inconvenience of their lives, aside from their employees whom they treat like slaves. I haven't changed the names to protect who I feel is guilty. The silver lining is that a grocery store that's a little out of my way presents the complete antithesis of the Kroger mess down the street. Before anybody tells me to shop at Metropolitan Market, I already have done. Since there is no mention of race or gender, I'm expecting to be flamed for non-inclusiveness. Or whatever triggers the brain dead woketards today.

"The QFC down the street from me has gone full ghetto. The shelves look like a North Korean mom and pop store struggling with a famine. No milk, no eggs, no bread. One checker on duty after 0800. Charging top dollar for everything. One must step carefully over the homeless as one makes one's way to the disgusting entrance, overflowing garbage bins, the surface looking like the last time it was cleaned was when George W. Bush was serving his first term as president. Inside the store, shoplifters are screaming and running out the door. Literally. Then there's Metropolitan Market a few blocks to the west. The shelves are fully stocked. At least five checkout lanes are open."

I don't know what the solution is to this violation of the basic expectation of a decent shopping experience , aside from the obvious: get your shit together, stop fucking up, start treating your customers and employees with a degree of respect, whilst rolling in record profits.

by Anonymousreply 66January 13, 2022 10:37 PM

I'm with you, R3.

Fuck these corporations.

They can rot in hell.

I'm going to speak to my family and friends and spread the message.

It's time we fought back against this bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 67January 13, 2022 10:43 PM

[quote]He's a fucking old dinosaur, and there's no reason for you to suck his withered old man cock because politics. Get covid and die.

Says R64, momentarily taking Trump's withered old man nubbin out of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 68January 13, 2022 10:47 PM

R64 sounds like someone with whom anyone would enjoy spending a delightful evening, or perhaps even a weekend.

by Anonymousreply 69January 13, 2022 11:11 PM

No, R64's job is to hate-post and whine. He's the perfect Trumper.

by Anonymousreply 70January 13, 2022 11:12 PM

[r64] seems nice.

by Anonymousreply 71January 13, 2022 11:13 PM

R64 here. I don't cut slack because of party politics. I blame Trump for his faults and the same for Biden. It's politics - not religion. And I'm not a true believer.

by Anonymousreply 72January 13, 2022 11:15 PM

What exactly is it you blame Biden for, r64?

by Anonymousreply 73January 13, 2022 11:18 PM

R73, not being a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 74January 13, 2022 11:19 PM

lol not a true believer, just a rage queen who wishes Covid and death on people who vex her.

by Anonymousreply 75January 13, 2022 11:20 PM

If inflation was 7% under Trump with a broken supply chain, I'd be screaming bloody murder for him to make that his number one issue. And fucking fix it. You want to run the country, then fix the big stuff.

You can't handle it, don't run.

You're already there and realize you can't do it, step down.

by Anonymousreply 76January 13, 2022 11:21 PM

[quote]lol not a true believer, just a rage queen who wishes Covid and death on people who vex her.

Then why are they the party of universal healthcare? Seems counter-productive, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 77January 13, 2022 11:23 PM

All of this hemming and hawing about fascism and "Trump is literally Hitler washing correct war on democracy" is going to seem pretty stupid and out-of-touch if these economic shocks keep coming. I hated Trump too, but this is so fucking ridiculous that the Dems have allowed this to happen and some people here are still simping for Biden and AOC and w/e THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU.

by Anonymousreply 78January 13, 2022 11:26 PM

The economic shocks are the result of an ongoing Covid epidemic that Republicans seem intent on prolonging.

Ask the Supreme Court about economic shocks.

AOC has nothing to do with it and the fact you brought her up is something of a tell.

by Anonymousreply 79January 13, 2022 11:27 PM

You mean since 1982 when Reagan was in office? I wonder who his re-election went just two years later…….

by Anonymousreply 80January 13, 2022 11:28 PM

Stop with the too much demand and too much money in the system BS...the only reason prices are going up is a profit grab, plain and simple. Ask yourself, if inventory is low, regardless of the reasons, then why arent they increasing production to meet the need ? Instead they demand more productivity with fewer employees...another profit grab.

by Anonymousreply 81January 13, 2022 11:33 PM

There's a so called supply shortage, but one day after Christmas, the Valentine's Day merchandise went up on the shelves

by Anonymousreply 82January 13, 2022 11:37 PM

[quote] washing correct war on democracy

Hunh?

by Anonymousreply 83January 13, 2022 11:39 PM

[quote] the Dems have allowed this to happen

They have? They could prevent it? How?

by Anonymousreply 84January 13, 2022 11:44 PM

[quote] There's a so called supply shortage, but one day after Christmas, the Valentine's Day merchandise went up on the shelves

It's not "so-called." It's a real shortage.

We're talking about ESSENTIAL supplies, not holiday crap that no one needs.

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 85January 13, 2022 11:45 PM

What essential supplies are you not finding on the shelves?

by Anonymousreply 86January 13, 2022 11:47 PM

[quote]hawing about fascism and "Trump is literally Hitler washing correct war on democracy"

I do believe the prion disease has made its way to R64's frontal lobe. Now he's blaming Biden for not stopping corporations from price gouging. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 87January 14, 2022 1:08 AM

How many of these corporations are thinking long-term? After all, we can learn to do without most of their products.

True, Americans don’t have much self-discipline. But I well remember the days when my grocery budget was 1/4 what it is now. I did without a lot of things and didn’t really miss them.

I can and will do it again. I’m not going to spend more. I’ll just change the products I buy and shop sales.

by Anonymousreply 88January 14, 2022 1:15 AM

The biggest increases in prices were for shelter and energy. How do you get by without a place to live? Or gas in the car for most people outside NYC?

by Anonymousreply 89January 14, 2022 2:52 AM

Now it's that all corporations are price gouging? You people have an answer for everything!

R84 I believed Biden and company when they said inflation was transitory, and they said that right months ago. They were wrong and they haven't owned up at all! This is Trump tier lunacy.

by Anonymousreply 90January 14, 2022 9:39 AM

R90 I see there is a massive push by trolls to pin inflation on Biden. Inflation is a lagging indicator, for one. This is Low T’s inflation. It is also directly tied to a global supply chain issue. Demand is very high. Enter inflation.

by Anonymousreply 91January 14, 2022 10:55 AM

Inflation isn't really in Biden's hands. He can loudly complain about it, which isn't a bad idea, but can't do much.

by Anonymousreply 92January 14, 2022 12:13 PM

Biden needs to look like he’s doing something. Inflation is something people REALLY care about unlike voting rights and 1/6 which they’re supposed to care about but don’t.

by Anonymousreply 93January 14, 2022 12:18 PM

It’s not inflation. Look at the record profit..that is not inflation you bunch of dummies. That is price gouging.

In an inflation scenario, prices are higher but profits are the same or lower.

It’s not inflation if companies are making a fortune. They don’t even have a name for this type of macro cash grab because market conditions haven’t allowed such a thing since the depression.

We have had inflation before but this is not that.

by Anonymousreply 94January 14, 2022 12:30 PM

This is another smear job by republicans to pile on Biden like they did to Obama.

by Anonymousreply 95January 14, 2022 12:30 PM

One thing that Trump was good at that Dems are very not good at is *seeming like they're doing something. Biden needs to hammer on this every day. This motivates people, or at least makes them so cynical and dispirited they don't show up.

by Anonymousreply 96January 14, 2022 1:11 PM

R96...In case you are unaware, lying by politicians...both sides...is what created this mess over the past 50 years. Decreasing jobs, decreasing wages. and a decreasing quality of life. Hows that been working out for everyone ? The narrative is controlled by whatever party is in power...and they both claim things are good. Its all meant as a distraction so you dont notice how much things suck.

by Anonymousreply 97January 14, 2022 2:10 PM

Exactly what have Republicans done to fight inflation?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98January 14, 2022 2:33 PM

Corporate profits are at all time highs. Because they are charging too much.

by Anonymousreply 99January 14, 2022 2:40 PM

God how tedious is the "both sides!" shit.

Dems are flawed, for sure, but the Reps are a combo of violent racists and plutocratic slavemasters. There's no fucking comparison.

by Anonymousreply 100January 14, 2022 2:44 PM

Hardworking people are the ones who are screwed, and the democrats and republicans all are against us. The uber rich (those making a couple of million per year or who come from wealth) and politicians are protected by republicans. Lazy, low-life fast-breeding poor blood suckers are protected by the democrats. The responsible ones making 50,000-1M/year get fucked by both sides.

We have been duped into thinking a blanket tax for everyone is “regressive”. That is not true. We should all pay the SAME tax and there should be no loopholes. That would be fair and help prevent political corruption.

by Anonymousreply 101January 14, 2022 6:49 PM

r100. You need to educate yourself. Seriously. Neither party works for us. Republicans are harsh Capitalists who dont give a fuck if you suffer, starve or die...Democrats are soft Capitalists who will throw you some crumbs so youre distracted about how much things suck in reality, but they dont care either in the end. If they did, why have jobs, wages and the quality of life declined over the past 50 years ? Regardless of who has been in office, regardless of who controlled Congress. They all work for their Capitalist donors.

by Anonymousreply 102January 14, 2022 6:52 PM

You guys have to get your stories straight.

Are the Dems Soft Capitalists who will feed you crumbs? Or the handmaids of the bloodsucking undeserved brown welfare hoards?

by Anonymousreply 103January 14, 2022 7:06 PM

R103,

Most politicians are unscrupulous bastards who use whichever narrative they choose to take money from the citizens and put it in their own pockets. Don’t be fooled, they’re laughing all the way to the bank.

Hilary is my favorite politician (probably more for emotional than intelligent reasons) and she’s no better than trump when it comes to stealing from the public (the Clinton foundation 🙄). They all abuse their power.

Dems do have them better social game and are the lesser of two evils. I would probably be more financially secure if Republicans are in power, but i can’t bring myself to vote for one.

by Anonymousreply 104January 14, 2022 7:12 PM

I wish there was an ounce of real reporting on what we're supposed to hate about the Clinton Foundation that didn't come from a pile of Jew-hating cranks.

by Anonymousreply 105January 14, 2022 9:31 PM

R105m what exactly does the Clinton Foundation do? I've never heard of them helping anyone

by Anonymousreply 106January 15, 2022 12:18 AM

Corporations are raising prices because they can. Unless it's something I can't live without, I'm not pumping up the demand. Fuck it, I'll eat Colby cheese if I have to...

by Anonymousreply 107January 15, 2022 12:23 AM

R93!!!! Yes this is exactly correct! "Biden can't control inflation" isn't as good argument to take to the voters not the Democrats passing even empty bills that"Target" inflation would be easily digestible by voters.

Some of you are ridiculously sloppy in your strategy but r93 is correct

by Anonymousreply 108January 15, 2022 6:25 AM

I'm not buying anything. Haven't eaten out in three months.

by Anonymousreply 109January 15, 2022 6:43 AM

Election fraud has consequences. Literally the week after Biden took office, gas prices started rising and everything else quickly joined them. Housing prices are astronomical, yet they are bringing in millions of "refugees" and illegals, ensuring continued competition for housing. Cheap foreign labor has kept wages down for decades. Ridiculous mandates are shuttering businesses and are the cause of supply chain issues. This is literally ALL Biden's fault. No question.

by Anonymousreply 110January 15, 2022 8:51 AM

Who is the "they" who are "bringing in" refugees? Let me guess - Soros? Space Jews? Who?

by Anonymousreply 111January 15, 2022 9:10 AM

I'm not that person who posted that but R111 some of our agencies are flying immigrants around the country

and there's an issue about the people on the flights not wearing masks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 15, 2022 8:43 PM

There have also been planes with migrants landing at Westchester County Airport in White Plains, New York and in Jacksonville, Florida

It's happening all the time in Pennsylvania

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113January 15, 2022 8:48 PM

Lot of flights out of Texas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114January 15, 2022 8:51 PM

[quote]There have also been planes with migrants landing at Westchester County Airport in White Plains, New York and in Jacksonville, Florida. It's happening all the time in Pennsylvania

Another example of the Dem's winning strategy!

by Anonymousreply 115January 15, 2022 8:56 PM

Everything goes up when gas goes up. It's like clockwork.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 15, 2022 9:08 PM

Gas is up for no reason other than a cash grab from the oil companies.

by Anonymousreply 117January 15, 2022 9:13 PM

Yeah. Sounds like some bullshit supply-demand issues because of the pandemic. First a big slowdown in demand, then a huge increase.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118January 15, 2022 9:25 PM

[quote] Sounds like some bullshit supply-demand issues because of the pandemic.

Sure does. Netflix just announced they’re raising prices. Will Hulu et al. be far behind?

WTF kind of supply chain issue could streaming services have? Puh-leez.

by Anonymousreply 119January 15, 2022 9:45 PM

But you don't see the democrats bring home this point

And as usual they're just allowing the republicans to control the narrative

by Anonymousreply 120January 15, 2022 9:51 PM

Yes, we all know how people fleeing war and famine dream of moving to Wilkes-Berre, PA.

by Anonymousreply 121January 16, 2022 12:42 PM

RE; TJ'S Mandarin oranges were priced at 3 dollars per bag. The price is now 3.49. Each bag has been reduced from 8 to 12 oranges per bag. The bag is 25 percent smaller while the price has increased =15 percent .

by Anonymousreply 122January 16, 2022 1:10 PM

As soon as workers start making more money, the plutocrats who run this country start sounding alarm bells. It never fails. Higher wages is what they fear.

by Anonymousreply 123January 16, 2022 3:17 PM

[quote] Dump this shit right at the feet of the Orange Baboon and the Republicans.

Sigh. The handful of Loony Lefties are in every thread. How about this -- it's everybody's fault. Left and Right, and now maybe we can finally start fixing the problem. But nope, I'm sure you'll insist hyper-inflation is the fault of the President who's been out of office for over a year.

by Anonymousreply 124January 16, 2022 5:04 PM

It is because we had surpluses before the rethugs took over. But in any event, a little inflation is good for us.

by Anonymousreply 125January 16, 2022 5:22 PM

If you think this is hyper-inflation, you have no idea what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 126January 16, 2022 6:31 PM

[quote]It is because we had surpluses before the rethugs took over. But in any event, a little inflation is good for us.

You won't be singing this tune in November, the next November or the next November

Inflation is all people are going to care about when they vote. They do not care that Joe Biden gave them stimulus checks and all or almost all the republicans voted against it. They won't care about anything positive that he's done.

They're only going to care that they can't buy useless crap from China at a low price

by Anonymousreply 127January 16, 2022 8:15 PM

r126 - Where do you think we're headed with a government that uses a xerox machine to print money?

by Anonymousreply 128January 16, 2022 10:47 PM

r124 = bothsidesism from the word 'go'

by Anonymousreply 129January 16, 2022 10:49 PM

R129 - And?

by Anonymousreply 130January 16, 2022 10:56 PM

r128....HAHAHAHAHA....weve been printing money and throwing it into the economy for 20 years. That is not new, and it has nothing to do with inflation. Inflation is a profit grab from greedy Capitalists. Dont you ask yourself why they dont just ramp up production ? NO. Because that saves them money to. Why ramp up production when we can jack up prices without spending a cent ?

by Anonymousreply 131January 16, 2022 10:57 PM

If someone says 2 + 2 = 4, r130 would be arguing that 2 + 2 = 6. Then the "fair and balanced"media would say, hey, we need to report both sides. One guy says 4, the other siide says 6. Let's call it a draw and say 2 + 2 = 5.

by Anonymousreply 132January 16, 2022 10:58 PM

R132 - That was astonishingly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 133January 16, 2022 11:00 PM

I love how r133 has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to back up her assertion.

by Anonymousreply 134January 16, 2022 11:02 PM

What is there to say? It is stupid and facile on its face.

by Anonymousreply 135January 16, 2022 11:04 PM

r135, do you even know what 'bothsidesism' means? The example given is of course an extreme, but it's dead-on accurate for what the Right and the media have been doing for 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 136January 16, 2022 11:06 PM

No stupid, what you are arguing is extremism. You are arguing against open-mindedness. You are arguing against reason. You are fanatical, and a waste of my time. I'm sorry if you don't understand what a problem you are.

by Anonymousreply 137January 16, 2022 11:12 PM

There is nothing 'extreme' about pointing out how the Right tries to move society more and more to the right by these tactics, along with their bought-and-paid-for media. You are using the oldest trick in the Republican playbook: label the other side of EXACTLY what you have been doing, and do it without batting an eye.

by Anonymousreply 138January 16, 2022 11:15 PM

I don't even know what the fuck you are talking about anymore. You are one of the extreme shitheads (right or left) that is tearing this country apart with your insane partisanship. Not only are you stupid, you are a cancer. Now, I'm done with you. Prattle on to your black heart's consent.

by Anonymousreply 139January 16, 2022 11:17 PM

I don't give a motherFUCK if gas is 17 dollars a gallon. I'm STILL not voting for Nazi/traitor/scumfuck Trump. Nice try though, OP.

by Anonymousreply 140January 16, 2022 11:20 PM

[quote]You are one of the extreme shitheads (right or left) that is tearing this country apart with your insane partisanship.

More bothsidesism.

by Anonymousreply 141January 16, 2022 11:25 PM

I guess the tactic here is:

1. say something stupid and insane and Tucker Carlson-y

2. Huff and moan when you're called stupid and insane

3. Decry "Partisanship!" and "Extremism! On both sides!" and declare that you're not going to engage any more!

It's weird.

by Anonymousreply 142January 16, 2022 11:35 PM

no, r142. The tactic here is:

1. Say "and?" and act like everyone is supposed to know what you are thinking.

2. Huff and moan when you say a comment is stupid without providing ANY RATIONALE (similar to item 1).

3. Pretend like you don't recognize or know what bothsidesism is and get all uppity when called out on your bullshit.

It's bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 143January 16, 2022 11:46 PM

I remember 1983, and Robby Benson.

by Anonymousreply 144January 17, 2022 1:21 AM

[quote]As soon as workers start making more money, the plutocrats who run this country start sounding alarm bells. It never fails. Higher wages is what they fear.

Wage and price increases go hand in hand, to maintain the equilibrium. Real wage growth is possible with increased productivity.

by Anonymousreply 145January 17, 2022 1:24 AM

[quote]Inflation is all people are going to care about when they vote. They do not care that Joe Biden gave them stimulus checks and all or almost all the republicans voted against it.

The checks will be a negative as its hammered home that the stimulus money and excess government spending fueled the inflation.

by Anonymousreply 146January 17, 2022 1:27 AM

All part of the plan.

by Anonymousreply 147January 17, 2022 12:00 PM

I’ve noticed my $80 worth of groceries now costs about $100. Everything is going up but my wage.

by Anonymousreply 148January 17, 2022 12:06 PM

R93 is 100% correct.

While most Democrats will say they care about voting rights, in the back of their minds they're thinking that it's not really all that hard to vote as it is and in 2022 everyone should have a driver's license or some other form of ID, and so the GOP proposals to require that aren't worth falling on our swords.

That may not be true or fair, especially in the rural South, but it's what voters are thinking and so explaining what the infrastructure bill will do is a good move now along with making it seem like Democrats are concerned about inflation, which does affect the working class the most..

by Anonymousreply 149January 17, 2022 12:12 PM

R148, I notice it a ton with groceries. First of all, no matter which store I go to - there's always one or two items that I need out of stock. So I go to multiple places. I spent $7 on little box blueberries and these veggie burgers I buy are now over $5, used to be 3.99. These are just two examples off the top of my head. Netflix is going up $2, and I'm part of a razor club and it went up $1. Stuff adds up.

by Anonymousreply 150January 17, 2022 4:27 PM

Welcome to Joe Biden's America.

by Anonymousreply 151January 17, 2022 4:30 PM

Or, R150, as a fellow blueberry lover, I can tell you that the prices always go up in winter because we're getting blueberries from South America and not from the US.

It's the price you pay for out-of-season fruit.

by Anonymousreply 152January 17, 2022 4:33 PM

I bought trash bags, cheese, and grapefruit juice. 30 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 153January 17, 2022 4:36 PM

The Dollar Tree confirms it: the US inflation rate is 25%, not 7%.

The Dems are toast next year. And Biden might just as well throw in the towel then.

by Anonymousreply 154January 17, 2022 5:18 PM

How much cheese is you fuckin buyin?

by Anonymousreply 155January 17, 2022 5:22 PM

R151 how is this Joe Biden’s fault. The price gouging started under Trump. Not to mention the tariffs. Without those, goods would be a at least 15 percent cheaper.

At least Biden is trying to do something about it.

by Anonymousreply 156January 17, 2022 6:20 PM

I never used to look at food prices. Now I do and I feel like a fucking peasant doing so.

by Anonymousreply 157January 17, 2022 6:28 PM

I'm not sure why Biden doesn't scrap Trump's stupid tariffs. There's a lot he could be doing. Most of it is symbolic bullshit, but that works in at least letting people know he gets it and is trying.

by Anonymousreply 158January 17, 2022 6:34 PM

[quote] The White House should continue to spend time and money fighting the real issues, like systemic racism and trans issues.

Relax and have a drink, Defacto. In fact have several.

by Anonymousreply 159January 17, 2022 6:41 PM

You can’t remove tariffs in one move. Both countries have to do it once they are put in place. Which wires a trade deal.

You think republicans are going to give him a trade deal?

Trump did these things he knew would take years to unwind. The post office too. He sabotaged the country.

by Anonymousreply 160January 17, 2022 6:52 PM

They can be enacted by executive order but only rescinded by act of Congress? I'm not sure about that one.

by Anonymousreply 161January 17, 2022 7:22 PM

[quote] It's the price you pay for out-of-season fruit.

Bitch, who is you callin out of season? I may be a fruit, but out of season? Oh, HELL no!

R163, hold my earrings!

by Anonymousreply 162January 17, 2022 8:51 PM

Well technically you CAN remove your side’s tariffs but then the other countries just keep theirs in place. This is why trade deals are necessary.

The only reason Trump canceled the PPP was to spite Obama.

by Anonymousreply 163January 17, 2022 9:06 PM

Biden owns this.

by Anonymousreply 164January 18, 2022 1:08 AM

He does, but inflation was also rampant under Trump, it was just not reported as Trump fiddled the numbers.I believe right wingers at teh NBER continue to do so, but the opposite way now.

by Anonymousreply 165January 18, 2022 1:11 AM

prices have been rising every year for decades

by Anonymousreply 166January 18, 2022 2:55 AM

This has nothing to do with Biden. He doesn’t go out and set prices smh.

by Anonymousreply 167January 18, 2022 3:23 AM

The minute he took office he cut the Keystone pipeline and began other measures to phase out oil. The very next week gas was already up 10¢ a gallon and it hasn't stopped. Now heating gas has more than doubled and prices are out of control. You are an idiot r167.

by Anonymousreply 168January 18, 2022 4:15 AM

Keystone Pipeline was intended to provide Canadian oil imports. By keeping prices elevated, we maintained oil related jobs in North Dakota. We also help to stop the continuing spread of mindless sprawl which has so damaged this nation.

by Anonymousreply 169January 18, 2022 6:29 AM

Oil prices have been high since the pandemic started. They have not "suddenly" spun out of control

by Anonymousreply 170January 18, 2022 6:30 AM

Ditto for food, although meat prices have climbed steeply lately. But they were only held down by Trump threatening the meat packers. Our food prices are still well well well below Europe's.

by Anonymousreply 171January 18, 2022 6:31 AM

He could have used the federal government to take over some Koch Bros paper factories and churn out billions of masks, but instead he was using the government to keep workers on the job in corona-infected meat factories in Kansas and Nebraska.

by Anonymousreply 172January 18, 2022 6:33 AM

Hugher gas prices also help manufacture of electric vehicles. Do you know what that means? More coal jobs! But will the Scots-Irish of Kentucy and West Virginia see the connection and give up their victim culture? Of course not. Self-pitying narcissism is the core of their identity.

by Anonymousreply 173January 18, 2022 6:48 AM

The cancellation of the keystone pipeline as the reason for increased gas prices is a ruse … the cancellation do not take away a single drop of oil.

What it did do was keep a lot of rural farmers from having their property flooded with oils spills and leaks.

Biden puts the working man over the price gouging oil conglomerates.

by Anonymousreply 174January 18, 2022 9:24 AM

[quote]Our food prices are still well well well below Europe's.

While true, that doesn't make for a very effective campaign slogan.

by Anonymousreply 175January 18, 2022 11:51 AM

God it's like the scriptwriters for Laura Ingraham visit us nightly after they drink away their guilt.

by Anonymousreply 176January 18, 2022 12:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!