Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kristen Bell stars in Netflix’s ‘The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window’

Omg this looks so good! We should watch it together, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 15, 2022 1:30 AM

Kristen Bell is hard to look at.

by Anonymousreply 1January 11, 2022 3:59 PM

Go away fat frau.

by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2022 4:03 PM

Imagine being Amy Adams, Julianne Moore, Gary Oldman. Jennifer Jason Leigh and Hope Davis watching that trailer!

Good to see Lizzie Caplan's husband Tom Riley getting some work, no doubt as the ambiguously evil/handsome English villain/hero.

He played the lead detective in the sub par Dark Heart a few years ago and despite working on murder cases AROUND THE CLOCK he had time to work on his body so it had the definition of an Olympic swimmer.

Hopefully there'll be shirtless scenes in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2022 4:04 PM

Trailer? They basically showed the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2022 4:14 PM

I personally can't stand Kristen Bell. Heard she's a major cunt IRL.

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2022 4:17 PM

I worship at the altar of Veronica Mars. But FFS, please make Bell and her FUG husband go away.

by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2022 5:10 PM

Bell is really try hard.

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2022 6:27 PM

Kristen Bell has an air of the AnnE Hathaway Syndrome about her.

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2022 6:39 PM

From the title it’s obviously horror satire — and as long as it’s not made by Keenen Ivory Wayans it might actually be funny.

by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2022 6:46 PM

It's hilarious the show will air on the same platform that paid for that piece of shit, The Woman in the Window.

Anyway, Kirsten finally has a haircut that suits her. Progress!

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2022 6:49 PM

The Corning Ware casserole was a nice touch.

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2022 6:50 PM

I guess i should be grateful it's not another Veronica reboot.

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2022 12:02 PM

The trailer wasn’t funny tho.

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2022 12:04 PM

Will Tom Riley be shirtless in this?

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2022 2:49 PM

Spoiler: They all did it.

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2022 2:53 PM

I liked it, Gary Oldman was underused though.

It would translate to the stage easily, as long as the cast was compelling enough.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2022 1:52 AM

R5 i would be too if i was married to Dax.

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2022 11:55 AM

I assume this is supposed to be satire? It looks so tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2022 12:04 PM

Is this an ‘homage’ to Dead To Me?

by Anonymousreply 19January 28, 2022 11:59 PM

I get a "The Flight Attendant" vibe from the trailer. Not just because of the lead's alcoholism issue, but the whole semi Alfred Hitchcock plot.

by Anonymousreply 20January 29, 2022 12:23 AM

R19 i was wondering the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 21January 29, 2022 6:12 AM

[quote] "‘The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window’"

Please tell me this is satire.

by Anonymousreply 22January 29, 2022 8:36 AM

Is it true there's a lot of sex scenes?

by Anonymousreply 23January 29, 2022 9:15 AM

How many nude scenes from Tom Riley thus far?

by Anonymousreply 24January 29, 2022 9:20 AM

It's a hot mess. It's not funny in the slightest.

by Anonymousreply 25January 29, 2022 9:21 AM

R2 The Op is not a frau it is fat though. It is the bald gap toothed 400 pound Rican tard Ewwdwin from Brooklyn. He is the worst and we all loathe him!

by Anonymousreply 26January 29, 2022 9:29 AM

She goes in the Bonnie Franklin pigeonhole. Obnoxious bossy perky cross eyed lady who thinks she’s soooo great.

by Anonymousreply 27January 29, 2022 12:45 PM

These titles are absurd. Netflix needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 28January 29, 2022 12:47 PM

[Quote] These titles are absurd.

It's supposed to be absurd.

by Anonymousreply 29January 29, 2022 1:06 PM

So it's The Girl on the Train except in a stationary setting.

Too bad it's not a satire--that title would have been great instead of sad and the whole "drunk/crazy/confused person witnessed a maybe murder" story is ripe for lampooning.

by Anonymousreply 30January 29, 2022 1:18 PM

R27 she IS like Bonnie Franklin! Great call!

I knew there was a reason I find her so irksome!

by Anonymousreply 31January 29, 2022 3:55 PM

I thought that this was supposed be a parody, but they seem to be playing it straight and I’m not sure what I’m to think of it all. They needlessly shatter a lot of Corelle ware.

by Anonymousreply 32January 29, 2022 7:45 PM

Why are they obviously using grape juice as wine, it’s much to thick and clings to the side of the glass. Doesn’t Hollywood have a much better stand in fir faux wine?

by Anonymousreply 33January 29, 2022 8:06 PM

Wait, Amy Adams’s Woman in the Window is a Netflix movie to begin with, why would the same streamer develop a TV series that mocks one of their big movies from the year before?

by Anonymousreply 34January 29, 2022 8:10 PM

With the title i was somehow expecting a satire. This and the ridiculous gigantic glasses. Then i saw the first episode, which used every Hitchcock reference you could pack in a 29 minute episode (including The Birds) and it seemed to be awful earnest (awful being the operative word). But now, 10 minutes in the second episode, a big reveal about the most ridiculously awful death imaginable i think we are again in parody territory.

by Anonymousreply 35January 29, 2022 9:49 PM

[Quote] I thought that this was supposed be a parody, but they seem to be playing it straight and I’m not sure what I’m to think of it all.

Which is what most of the reviews said. Sounds like a mess.

by Anonymousreply 36January 30, 2022 1:37 AM

Well, I'll defy gravity and say I LIKE Kristen Bell and this looks good. Bonnie Franklin, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 37January 30, 2022 1:56 AM

I was going to ask if you needed to watch the Amy Adams movie to enjoy this one, but it sounds like I should skip it altogether.

by Anonymousreply 38January 30, 2022 2:25 AM

I watched it this afternoon while trying to avoid being productive (mission accomplished).

According to a blurb I read, Kristen said the bad acting is deliberate. I think it’s supposed to be spoofing the Lifetime type murder movies. There is a new (usually unrealistic) twist every few minutes. The beginning of the last episode is absurdly hilarious and there is an amazing cameo in the final scene.

I’ve wasted four hours on worse.

by Anonymousreply 39January 30, 2022 2:42 AM

I was inspired to read a review by the above, apparently the epitaph on the daughters tombstone changes each time. Once I read it I wasn’t going to again and didn’t notice it’s supposed to be Bart at the blackboard at the start of The Simpsons.

by Anonymousreply 40January 30, 2022 5:04 AM

R38 I wouldn’t subject my worse enemy to watch that movie, I’m still contemplating suing to get back the time I spent watching it.

by Anonymousreply 41January 30, 2022 5:12 AM

The only good thing is that hot male stripper

by Anonymousreply 42January 30, 2022 5:39 AM

R41 so it's worse than Hillbilly Elegy?

by Anonymousreply 43January 30, 2022 7:11 AM

R43 Hillbilly at least had coherent editing.

by Anonymousreply 44January 30, 2022 7:26 AM

OK, I know what this is now. This is a reboot of Veronica Mars, without the other characters.

by Anonymousreply 45January 30, 2022 9:17 PM

It's just pointless. It's neither amusing nor clever.

by Anonymousreply 46January 30, 2022 9:24 PM

Why is the stripper fucking her? This makes no sense?

by Anonymousreply 47January 30, 2022 9:38 PM

I'm hate watching this. Ep 2 starting. HATE it.

by Anonymousreply 48January 31, 2022 12:07 AM

Oh my god, this is awful, even if it adheres to the source material.

by Anonymousreply 49January 31, 2022 12:09 AM

Mzssacre Mike!

by Anonymousreply 50January 31, 2022 12:20 AM

It's not supposed to be taken seriously. If you watch it understanding that it's spoofing a genre of movies, it become hilarious and for me enjoyable. The beginning of episode 8 alone made the entire run worth it for me. Baby teeth bitch!

by Anonymousreply 51January 31, 2022 2:10 AM

I agree, R37. DL has become overrun with people who think hating everything makes them clever or interesting. Then they cry”pointless bitchery”. If you’re going to be a pointless bitch, be witty about it.

by Anonymousreply 52January 31, 2022 2:33 AM

I love her.

Her face looks different, her eyes especially. The tell tail new hairstyle is another clue.

by Anonymousreply 53January 31, 2022 4:18 AM

Has Amy Adams commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 54January 31, 2022 4:21 AM

OK I've stopped hating as we move into Ep 4. Say what you will but the first 2 episodes are dreadfully dull as they set up the story.

by Anonymousreply 55January 31, 2022 7:28 AM

I can't believe that some of you couldn't grasp that this was meant to be a parody? Did you fall down and knock yourselves in the head?

That said, from what I've read, although it is meant to be a parody it's nowhere near funny enough to actually be one. I'm really disappointed, something like this done well could have been great. I had it on my list - I don't think I'll bother now, even though I like Kristen Bell, and I've seen the movies it's ripping the piss out of so would likely get all the references.

by Anonymousreply 56January 31, 2022 9:33 AM

List? What list?

by Anonymousreply 57January 31, 2022 9:43 AM

R56. Calm your tits. The show is poorly written. It can't even make clear it's a parody until a few episodes in.

by Anonymousreply 58January 31, 2022 12:06 PM

Another abysmal shitshow from Netflix. No wonder they are hemorrhaging customers to other streaming services right now.

by Anonymousreply 59January 31, 2022 12:14 PM

I don't want to spoil but I'd really like to address that upsetting cameo appearance.

by Anonymousreply 60February 1, 2022 3:47 PM

It was good for a rainy day binge. It's parody and packs every cliche in. The ridiculous wine glasses, the weird handyman who never seems to get the mailbox fixed despite working on it for years, the daughter's tombstone which has a different epitaph each time it's shown.

It's mocking the frau wine murder stories.

by Anonymousreply 61February 1, 2022 3:55 PM

If you have half a brain you can figure out pretty quickly that it's a parody (if the title alone didn't clue you in). I think some people are frustrated because they don't get right away that it is a parody, because the cast is playing it totally straight, instead of like a Leslie Nielsen parody film. That's one of the things I liked most about it. For what it was, I found it to be entertaining. And Kristen Bell was very good in it. Not the greatest television show ever made, but I was entertained enough to want to watch every episode, and the finale made me laugh. Nothing bad about that.

by Anonymousreply 62February 1, 2022 3:57 PM

The finale was pretty fucking funny. "You're casseroles taste like SHIT!"

by Anonymousreply 63February 1, 2022 4:11 PM

The scene in the AA meeting when a woman tells Kristen it's so hard to talk openly about the death of her brother. Kristen says she understands how painful it must be. Woman: "it's not that. I find it hard to pronounce autoerotic asphyxiation".

Loved their spin on 'take your daughter to work day'.

'

by Anonymousreply 64February 2, 2022 12:24 AM

It's a parody/satire but it's not a good one.

They simply didn't do enough.

[quote]because the cast is playing it totally straight, instead of like a Leslie Nielsen parody film.

I feel that was the mistake.

The thing that made those films funny is that they did play them straight most of the time. Nearly everyone's delivery was serious. The characters took themselves seriously.

People weren't necessarily intentionally hamming it up.

It was what you were seeing and what exactly they were saying that made them funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65February 2, 2022 12:36 AM

It's the "Citizen Kane" of streaming films. Bell is this generations Streep!

by Anonymousreply 66February 2, 2022 12:37 AM

When I think of all those wonderful shows, some that got renewed only to then be cancelled, that Netflix dismissed only to make and put up this crap all I can say is the golden age of this streamer has passed and it’s circling the drain even as it adds another subscription bump.

by Anonymousreply 67February 2, 2022 12:42 AM

[quote]The thing that made those films funny is that they did play them straight most of the time.

Not a chance. Just because Leslie Neilson didn't deliver every line accompanied by blowing a horn and throwing up jazz hands, his "deadpan" delivery was intentionally NOT straight. Take another look at the clip you embedded. His facial expressions tell all - he is in on the joke and playing it for the audience, and he did it fucking brilliantly. But for this show they took a different approach. The actors performed a serious crime drama and let the sight gags (oversized wine glasses, changing tombstone, etc.) be the "funny man". You may not like it, but I liked the fresh approach and found it at least entertaining enough to be engaged in the story for all episodes.

by Anonymousreply 68February 2, 2022 2:25 AM

[quote]Not a chance. Just because Leslie Neilson didn't deliver every line accompanied by blowing a horn and throwing up jazz hands, his "deadpan" delivery was intentionally NOT straight.

Films where they don't "play it straight" are Brain Doners, Robin Hood Men in Tights, My Blue Heaven, Black Sheep, any of the Ernest movies, Scary Movie or any of their ilk. Even in Dracula Dead and Loving It was no one playing it straight.

Frank Drebin was not going to be running around singing, "Fat guy in a little coat." George Kennedy wasn't going to play a priest with a weird accent that asks one of his students to "pull your dress down" so she can flash her boobs. There were no dance sequences where the entire cast sings, "We're manly men in tights!" What they did is a long way from the slapstick you'd find in a film where they weren't playing it straight.

by Anonymousreply 69February 2, 2022 3:34 AM

I'm sure the poster at #15 was probably kidding, but I think "they all did it" would have to be my guess right now for that hypothetical season 2.

by Anonymousreply 70February 2, 2022 4:17 AM

It’s #1 on Netflix today so someone is enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 71February 2, 2022 4:25 AM

R71 My god, I just saw that and I’m appalled! I don’t think the original film even made it to number one once. Amy Adams has been officially added to the scrap heap, her career is never recovering from this.

by Anonymousreply 72February 2, 2022 5:03 AM

In interviews the actors keep talking about how unique this show is. But they're also acknowledging that most people were initially confused as to what genre this was supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 73February 2, 2022 7:47 AM

Just finished watching it. I feel like things only really started to come together in the last two episodes. I did find the prop gags funny and it was nice to see Kristen play someone who isn't snarky. Shelley should play a bitch more often and that cameo in the finale is DL gold.

by Anonymousreply 74February 3, 2022 2:56 AM

I browsed a reddit discussion about this and it is absolutely baffling how many posters couldn't grasp that this was a parody.

by Anonymousreply 75February 3, 2022 3:10 AM

R75 every fandom is filled with idiots. And reddit is a great example.

by Anonymousreply 76February 3, 2022 4:03 AM

It was fine. I wasn't blown away, not did I hate it. I think there were some missed opportunities. That casserole dish should have been dropped more times.

by Anonymousreply 77February 3, 2022 4:03 AM

I've started to watch this an I'm enthralled. I'm eagerly awaiting the follow up "The Man Downstairs from the Kids Watching the Video About the Woman Next Door to the Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window Who Doesn't Seem to be Dead."

by Anonymousreply 78February 3, 2022 4:06 AM

Kristen Bell is a horrible actress. I don't know if there's a more technical term for this but whatever character she plays, it always just seems like "hey! it's Kristen Bell pretending to be whatever!"

She's always more than her character.

by Anonymousreply 79February 3, 2022 4:12 AM

Is it a comedy?

by Anonymousreply 80February 3, 2022 4:26 AM

It’s another project like the ones Will Ferrell did a run of a few years ago (in fact he’s a producer) — parody that is barely distinguishable from the real thing. He did a Lifetime movie with Kristen Wiig that was almost exactly like a real Lifetime movie, the sole joke being that it was Ferrell and Wiig doing it instead of some C-list actors. This project isn’t as subtle as that but it still spends a lot of time being a melodrama instead of spoofing one.

by Anonymousreply 81February 3, 2022 4:51 AM

R80 - after watching two or so episodes, I came to that conclusion. That didn't help. I think it's a bad comedy.

by Anonymousreply 82February 3, 2022 4:56 AM

R79 well she's mainly known for Veronica Mars and Gossip Girl so it checks out.

by Anonymousreply 83February 3, 2022 5:21 AM

R80 It's a parody of the genre of thrillers featuring haggard ( not really haggard just Hollywood haggard) , traumatised and or alcoholic women who find themselves drawn into mystery and intrigue. And who may or not be imagining things.

by Anonymousreply 84February 3, 2022 6:10 AM

It reminded me of the parody movie Kristen Wiig & Will Ferrell did a while back. This one was funnier though. I laughed out loud at the Take Your Daughter to Work Day, & several of Kristen’s voiceovers.

Kristen said her mother would watch this & not get that it’s a parody, she’d watch it as a literal thriller (as my mother did). She was shocked by the scenes I found funny, & didn’t understand the epitaph changing (she thought she was standing at the wrong headstone). Hearing her take on it made me appreciate it even more!

by Anonymousreply 85February 3, 2022 6:58 AM

I watched it all last night. I thought it was hilarious. I'd watch another season. I like Kristen Bell.

by Anonymousreply 86February 4, 2022 12:21 AM

R86 are you a white woman by chance?

by Anonymousreply 87February 4, 2022 2:40 AM

R86 With a wine drinking habit by chance?

by Anonymousreply 88February 4, 2022 2:43 AM

I liked it a lot, especially Kristen Bell's ridiculous phobia about getting caught in the rain.

by Anonymousreply 89February 4, 2022 2:45 AM

I can't believe Ombrophobia is a real thing.

by Anonymousreply 90February 4, 2022 8:00 AM

Rex is hot

by Anonymousreply 91February 12, 2022 2:02 AM

The sex scenes were surprisingly graphic in a Show Zero T&A way. I guess Kristen is trying to show she still has it as a mom in her 40s.

by Anonymousreply 92February 12, 2022 2:13 AM

I wish that sex scene had been with Michael Ealy instead.

by Anonymousreply 93February 12, 2022 11:41 AM

I appreciated that it was a bit more subtle with the parody -- taking the Lifetime movies and tweaking them just a bit at times. Bell's monologs, the bad acting that was not over the top. The scene where it was revealed of how the daughter died was funny, because even though it was an over-the-top death, they for the most part played it straight.

I thought even the little girl nailed playing the sweet, precocious kid stereotype with just a touch of parody. They also did a good job with some of the supporting characters, the concerned cop, the neighbor who is worried how everything is going to affect her husband's Scott, the male stripper who was panicking about what type of bread to text. The love scene went on a little too long, but did chuckle about all of the inserted shower sex.

A lot of little things that were done as a quick throwaway line and moved on from were funny -- "I probably should have not prescribed..." the quick look at the gravestone with its changing epitaphs (there is no "I" in heaven).

by Anonymousreply 94February 12, 2022 12:35 PM

Considering how unappealing she is in her real life I am always impressed with how likable KB can be when she acts.

by Anonymousreply 95February 12, 2022 12:53 PM

loved it - was astonished by the lousy reviews some critics gave it - humorless pricks

by Anonymousreply 96February 12, 2022 4:50 PM

R96 or it just wasn't their type of humour.

by Anonymousreply 97February 13, 2022 8:09 AM

It was so subtle in its parody it nearly wasn’t. I put that down to the writing, not the acting, which was was quite good.

by Anonymousreply 98February 13, 2022 9:36 AM

I didn’t realize it is a parody

by Anonymousreply 99February 13, 2022 5:38 PM

Had I not laughed through The Woman In The Window in the last week, this would have seemed like a Domestic Thriller that didn’t take itself too seriously, with a wry sense of humour and an even shittier plot than usual.

by Anonymousreply 100February 14, 2022 12:55 PM

I liked that despite its frivolity it requires your full attention. Otherwise you'll miss gags (or even the point of the series). I was on the fence for several episodes but the ridiculous sex scene won me over.

by Anonymousreply 101February 14, 2022 1:07 PM

The stripper was hot. I remember him from that Kim Cattrel church soap opera from a few years ago. Nice ass on him. Too bad they cut away just as he was turning around.

by Anonymousreply 102February 14, 2022 1:22 PM

I wish she'd wound up with the stripper. And Take Your Daughter To Work Day was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 103February 15, 2022 1:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!