Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Season - Finding Your Roots

Papi Raul Esparza was on the episode I watched tonight.

The other one I watched had a British actress who directed Passing, and it turned out her family history had some similarities to that story.

Goodness, Raul is handsome. Looks like his Cuban/Spanish family are all quite attractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 23, 2022 3:13 AM

How does it matter? I find it quite amusing that people go in search of their roots when they need to connect with people in the present.

by Anonymousreply 1January 11, 2022 3:54 AM

Cunt R1 shows up right on time!

by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2022 1:29 PM

How's Esparza's bisexual cock doing? Which gender is he with now?

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2022 1:46 PM

This week was activist week. Anita Hill and some chick that was part of the response to Ferguson.

But no hot guys. That's ok, am still recovering from Raul's hotness.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2022 1:31 PM

R1 it is mainly American liberals who are obsessed with such things. Conservatives too take pride in their heritage, but not to that degree. They are American, first and foremost.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2022 2:31 PM

R1 R5 shhhhhh - grown folks are talking.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2022 2:33 PM

Mario Lopez was on this week. How in the world is that guy 48? He could get by on the "I'm 48 but people think I look 25." Please don't tell me he has a big dick in addition to his other attributes!

by Anonymousreply 7February 2, 2022 7:47 PM

[quote] Mario Lopez was on this week. How in the world is that guy 48? He could get by on the "I'm 48 but people think I look 25." Please don't tell me he has a big dick in addition to his other attributes!

R7 I have a big dick in addition to my other attributes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 3, 2022 5:03 AM

Mario, Mario’s bouncing dick, and his Dad. Nice roots. Woof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 4, 2022 1:40 AM

Did Dick Clark molest Mario Lopez? Mario said Dick became VERY interested in him as a young male actor?

by Anonymousreply 10February 4, 2022 2:42 AM

I thought Melissa Villasenor was Filipino, I remember when she was hired headlines of the first Asian added to the cast? Yet, here she’s Mexican?

by Anonymousreply 11February 4, 2022 2:55 AM

R11 If she thought she was Filipino she found out she isn't.

Both Mario and Melissa have similar roots - Mexican with Spanish conqueror blood AND also indigenous blood.

The one with John Leguizamo was interesting, too. He thought he was at least partly Puerto Rican, but he isn't.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2022 4:00 PM

Who left the door open and let r5 out?

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2022 4:16 PM

R13 A crypt door, no less.

She's apparently never heard of the DAR. Tracing lineage is one of the tried and true ways for snobs to show they were a Real American. It's only when The Poors and The Brown and Blacks do it that it becomes disdainful, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2022 4:19 PM

[quote] The other one I watched had a British actress who directed Passing, and it turned out her family history had some similarities to that story.

Which the director had made clear in the publicity surround the release of the film, it isn't an earth shaking revelation. Especially since she already knew her mother was a light skinned black woman.

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2022 4:27 PM

From what Rebecca Hall said in the episode, her mother thought she might have been black, but they weren't 100 percent sure. The research helped them confirm it.

And the research was done probably well before the movie release. Some of these episodes are essentially done almost a season before they air. Someone this season (Pamela Adlon, I think?) had them researching her background for FIVE YEARS before they found enough to find whatever answer they'd been looking for.

Nathan Lane and Leslie Odom Jr. are tonight's guests - and I think this one is the last for the season (it's usually 8 episodes a year).

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2022 4:34 PM

In a few weeks they will rerun the Broadway episode from last year with Audra and Mandy Patinkin.

I know not everyone cares for Mandy but his episode was one of the most heartfelt, shocking ones I've seen on the whole run of this show from its beginnings.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2022 4:37 PM

R16 Did her mother not have a mirror? Because while very light skinned, it was also apparent from her appearance that she was part black. And, it wasn't like her mother didn't grow up around other black people to compare herself to, she grew up in Detroit. She might not have known the names of her black ancestors but I can't imagine she wouldn't know she was partly black.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2022 4:42 PM

R18 I think the confusion was that her mother's father was very very light skinned and it was unclear what his ancestry was. I think they obviously assumed but it's one thing to assume and another to know the specifics (see also Warren, Elizabeth).

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2022 4:45 PM

R19 I never understood how anyone including Elizabeth Warren, herself, could think she was Native American. She is blonde and blue-eyed.

by Anonymousreply 20February 23, 2022 12:01 AM

R20 I get it, but I think Liz is a bottle blonde....beyond that it's possible.

My mother was told she was 1/8 Sioux, and that one of her grandmothers was full blooded. No one in our family had any reason to lie about it, yet when I did DNA testing, no Native DNA appeared.

Appearance isn't always a 100 percent guarantee.

by Anonymousreply 21February 23, 2022 2:01 AM

R21 You can't go by the mail-in DNA for that. They have very little native DNA in their systems so they don't pick it up and no tribe that I'm aware of allow it as evidence to enroll. I have documented native ancestors. Not family lore but people who were clearly labeled Indian in the 1800s some with tribal affiliations listed. Yet, one test found none and another found a trace amount.

If you signed up for their app, take a look. I'm sure your percentages have changed to what they were when you first got your results. Sometimes whole ethnicities disappear, and if you take multiple ones they give you different results. If you have results from 23&Me, you can upload the DNA base file to My Heritage, which is another one of these programs, for free. They will then give you a report, based upon the sample you gave to 23&Me and from 23&Me's own generated file, and yet they will give you very different results. The fact is that DNA testing for ancestry isn't as clear and as settled a science as we would like to believe. 23&Me tried to claim my Grandmother's Sister's Granddaughter was my sister. There is absolutely no way that could be the case. Just trust me I investigated and it is just not physically possible for us to share even one parent, literally both sets of parents were on two different continents when she was conceived and born.

by Anonymousreply 22February 23, 2022 2:42 AM

Nathan Lane and Leslie Odom Jr were on tonight. Very moving but Nathan was cracking jokes.

I never really knew much of Leslie's work other than him being in Hamilton but he is.....not at all hard on the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 23February 23, 2022 3:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!