Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Exorcist II: The Heretic

I was expecting worse. Heard some people call it the worst movie ever. The stuff at the psychiatrist office is quite interesting. Linda Blair is very charming and could act. She wasn't a one hit wonder like Tatum O'Neal who also debuted that year same year as Blair.

BUT!

Ugh the Africa scenes are so boring.

And (these may not be answerable but) questions:

The end: Where do she and Burton go?

Why does Sharon turn bad/angry?

Why is there another Regan?

Is there any sense to the ending? (I do think Poltergeist kind of ripped off this ending.)

by Anonymousreply 30November 6, 2022 11:34 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2022 9:33 PM

No one?

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2022 3:34 AM

Worst movie ever? No. But alot of it is unintentional hilarious. I love how Reagan is so blase about being possessed by a demon. And clearly didn't have a problem showing off the girls at the most inopportune times šŸ˜„

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2022 11:06 AM

[quote]Why is there another Regan?

Pazuzu's Regan is the only Regan.

*yes*

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2022 11:14 AM

[quote]The end: Where do she and Burton go?

They go off together to help other people like Regan.

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2022 11:37 AM

Regan was a mutant with healing powers?

by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2022 12:03 PM

Yes, R6, pretty much. And she and Father Lamont went off to form the Vatican's version of the X-Men.

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2022 12:33 PM

Was Father Lamont also psychic/healing in the way that Pazuzu found irresistible in Regan?

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2022 1:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2022 1:14 PM

[quote]Regan was a mutant with healing powers?

Yes but she was far too slutty and common to ever be accepted at the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters.

Even Emma Frost said this chick was bad news.

Why do you think Chris was so hot to abandon her in Manhattan?

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2022 1:20 PM

Regan tried to save Carrie White but all the blood made her vomit all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2022 1:25 PM

Sharon killed herself because Pazuzu's wings brushed her and Louise Fletcher bored her to death.

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2022 1:30 PM

I would argue this [italic]is[/italic] the worst movie ever. Fight me.

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2022 1:48 PM

[QUOTE] she was far too slutty and common to ever be accepted at the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters.

But Chris MacNeil was Meryl-level of stardom, no? I would expect Regan would be a Hollywood princess.

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2022 3:53 PM

Why the hell was she tap-dancing again?

by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2022 3:59 PM

This film has a very strange feeling to it, completely different than the original's (which worked for that film). I think they tried to go really "high brow" and it totally failed. But, above all, it was just a bore.

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2022 6:03 PM

The best part is the exchange in between Linda Blair and Dana Plato with Plato explaining sheā€™s at the institute because sheā€™s a-a-a-utistic. Then Linda casually interjects she is there because she was possessed by a demon.

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2022 6:11 PM

I enjoyed the locusts and the African possession.

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2022 6:12 PM

[quote] But, above all, it was just a bore.

Which is why it doesnā€™t succeed as campy fun either.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2022 6:37 PM

I like the scene where Reagan nearly jumps off of the roof of her high-rise apartment. Itā€™s actually kind of thrilling and scary.

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2022 6:49 PM

Cinema doesn't get any better than James Earl Jones dressed as a bumblebee.

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2022 7:58 PM

I read that John Boorman intended this film to cure people who saw the first movie, which he'd hated.

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2022 9:12 PM

Dana Plato isn't listed in the credits for some reason. She had a pretty memorable part. Even Louise Fletcher's kids get credit and they barely say anything.

Anyone know why?

by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2022 4:09 AM

She had to put out to get into the movie

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2022 3:00 PM

A lot of the rerelease and fan art utilize that sequence in an effective way. Itā€™s visually captivating.

by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2022 1:01 AM

which sequence r25?

by Anonymousreply 26January 13, 2022 4:03 AM

I'm forever indebted to this movie which inspired my signature dance move. Next time you're out in the club look for the guy by hy himself in the center of the dance floor. With my eyes closed it will look like I'm enjoying the dance beats but in reality I'm taking out hordes of invisible locusts.

by Anonymousreply 27January 13, 2022 4:22 AM

I saw somewhere that the director had underlings direct many of the scenes. Just lazy I guess.

by Anonymousreply 28January 13, 2022 5:26 AM

The director John Boorman got very sick from the sand they brought in for the Africa sequences, R28. He was on sick leave for a month and his creative collaborator covered the filming during that time. He wasnā€™t lazy but it wasnā€™t exactly a major passion project for him either. As other posters have pointed out, he hated the original and wanted to make a movie that was an ā€œantidoteā€ and had the audience leave on a positive note.

Thereā€™s a surprisingly good book about the production of the movie that came out recently. The overall story of the film isnā€™t that exciting ā€” basic hubris run amok ā€” but the writing is strong and thereā€™s lots of interesting anecdotes from the shoot.

by Anonymousreply 29August 6, 2022 11:10 AM

You could play a drinking game while watching this movie. Every time someone says Pazuzu or Kokumo, you have to take a small sip of alcohol. Youā€™d be dead by the end of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 30November 6, 2022 11:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!