Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ricki Lake

Looking back it really is apparent Ricki Lake has always been a gay ally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2022 2:09 AM

Ahhhhh - the good old days!

by Anonymousreply 1January 8, 2022 1:12 AM

Didn’t she marry one?

by Anonymousreply 2January 8, 2022 1:19 AM

R1 has a point.

by Anonymousreply 3January 8, 2022 1:21 AM

The Gay Ally shit is such bullshit. You are either a smart and tolerant human being or your not. As a straight woman who loves gay dudes I would be insulted at being called an "ally". I'm just a cool lady that wasn't born in the 18th century and has good taste

by Anonymousreply 4January 8, 2022 1:29 AM

I agree ^. I’ve always felt like “ally” was so disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 5January 8, 2022 1:33 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 8, 2022 1:42 AM

R4 shut up sally jessy raphael!!

by Anonymousreply 7January 8, 2022 1:45 AM

R5 and you too Jenny jones!

by Anonymousreply 8January 8, 2022 1:46 AM

Does Ricki share that Divine taught her to walk in heels?

by Anonymousreply 9January 8, 2022 1:47 AM

Well then, r9, she learned from the best.

by Anonymousreply 10January 8, 2022 1:51 AM

She went to Ithaca College in the 80s and had all gay friends. It was not an act.

by Anonymousreply 11January 8, 2022 3:04 AM

Go Ricki go Ricki!

by Anonymousreply 12January 8, 2022 9:41 PM

She's a big old pothead now, too.

by Anonymousreply 13January 8, 2022 9:43 PM

R13 really?!

by Anonymousreply 14January 8, 2022 10:35 PM

Ricki Lake is a gem!

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2022 11:47 PM

I first saw Fred Phelps on her show, he was so hateful I thought it had to be some sort of joke. She had him thrown off the stage, albeit too late.

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2022 11:56 PM

She said Divine was the one who taught her to walk in heels, so she learned from the best.

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2022 11:57 PM

When Ricki and hubby, Rob Sussman lived in the West Village the vibe was that hubby played for our team.

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2022 11:58 PM

Ricki Lake has a gay man to thank for her career: John Waters.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2022 11:59 PM

[quote] "shut up sally jessy raphael!!"

Calm down, R7. We know for a fact that R4 isn't Sally Jesse Raphael. She even made it clear in her statement:

[quote] "wasn't born in the 18th century"

So, there you are. R4 is not Sally Jesse Raphael.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2022 12:04 AM

While these 90s and 2000s trash talk shows did not age well in a lot of ways they did give a platform to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transsexual voices. The Club Kids went on Geraldo and Oprah had many episodes on gay people coming out. Even Tyra Banks had some episodes on the topic in the mid-2000s. I think it helped these talk shows allowed gay, lesbian and transsexual people to be able to explain themselves and give their perspective. It was baby steps.

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2022 12:05 AM

Alice Hyatt was gay positive as well. I recall when Tommy’s scout leader was outed and his entire troupe abandoned him except for ignorant, innocent Tommy. At the conclusion, Alice granted license for Tommy to go camping with the scout leader.

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2022 12:10 AM

And didn’t the scout leader ply Tommy with beer on their camping trip!?

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2022 12:20 AM

Back then if you weren't a fire breathing homophobe, you were an ally. I think people forget how shitty it was

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2022 12:23 AM

[quote] "Alice Hyatt was gay positive as well. I recall when Tommy’s scout leader was outed and his entire troupe abandoned him except for ignorant, innocent Tommy. At the conclusion, Alice granted license for Tommy to go camping with the scout leader."

It wasn't a scout leader, but a gay friend of Mel's who'd gone from college football player to actor in "B" pictures, R22.

Alice did eventually come to her senses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2022 12:24 AM

[quote] "The Club Kids went on Geraldo and Oprah..."

Unfortunately. Amanda Lepore: fine. RuPaul: fine. Michael Alig: the addict/murderer attention whore shouldn't have been given any kind of platform at any point in his life.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2022 12:27 AM

R4, you might want to stop using the word "tolerant". That sounds like you just put up with the fact that there are gay people in society. I never say that I "tolerate straight women". See how stupid that sounds?

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2022 2:05 AM

My coworker is related to her and said she has always been an incredibly cool person. (Side note - she bought my coworker a car out of the blue).

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2022 2:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!