Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, Tell Me About Trevor Howard

Was he on par with his contemporaries: Richard Burton, John Gielgud, Alec Guinness, James Mason, John Mills, David Niven, Laurence Olivier, Michael Redgrave, Ralph Richardson, Robert Stephens, and Orson Welles?

Seems he is forgotten about like the others. Was he a good stage actor?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2022 7:43 AM

His shpeech wash shintillating and his shtyle was shubtle.

A shupreme theshbian!

by Anonymousreply 1December 29, 2021 7:49 PM

R1 whom?

by Anonymousreply 2December 29, 2021 8:08 PM

Loved him in “The Third Man.”

by Anonymousreply 3December 29, 2021 10:35 PM

Elder straight man here...Trevor Howard is one of the most underrated actors of the 20th. Britain's Spencer Tracy. Every performance was believable and effortless. No pushing, no showing off, always in the moment. Not one false note. Though British, he didn't have that off-putting British stuffiness which made him much more accessible, especially to us Yanks

by Anonymousreply 4December 29, 2021 10:45 PM

See him in "Outcast of the Islands" (an adaptation of the Joseph Conrad novel directed by Carol Reed a couple of years after he made "The Third Man"). A great role and unforgettable performance. FWIW, it's one of Matt Dillon's favorite movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 29, 2021 11:13 PM

R4 Thanks! This is what I was looking for. He definitely seems more down to Earth than Gielgud or Olivier.

by Anonymousreply 6December 30, 2021 11:40 AM

A wonderful actor. Like James Mason in a dueling thread, Howard seemed incapable of giving a bad performances even though they were quite different actors. BRIEF ENCOUNTER of course. But even very late in the game, when he was reportedly drunk most of the time - RYAN'S DAUGHTER and LUDWIG - he could be marvelous.

by Anonymousreply 7December 30, 2021 12:14 PM

R7 was Trevor a drunk in the Burton/Harris/Finney sense?

by Anonymousreply 8December 30, 2021 2:15 PM

R7. Don't you mean Burton/Harris/O'Toole?

I've heard no stories about Albert Finney and alcoholism.

I know people assume he was working class because his first hit was playing a masculine, hard-living, adulterous, factory worker in 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning' but he acknowledged in interviews that he was middle class.

by Anonymousreply 9January 1, 2022 8:21 AM

[quote] Was he a good stage actor?

He avoided the stage because he didn't have the ability to dominate the stage. It's easier on screen with the director and editor controlling every movement.

He had the luck to appear in two screen classics of 1940s World Culture in 'Brief Encounter' and 'Third Man'.

[quote] Every performance was believable and effortless.

Which means he was too low-key and 20th century to carry BIG films which is why he slipped into supporting roles in the 1960s.

[quote] "Outcast of the Islands" Is a fascinating failure. Carol Reed struck out to do a big international production before he had the resources to do it properly. Ralph Richardson is mesmerising and clearly outshines poor Trevor who was supposed to carry the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 1, 2022 9:09 PM

Howard was definitely overshadowed by Redgrave and Richardson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 1, 2022 10:07 PM

What the bloody hell are you two - replies 10 and 11 -on about? Ridiculous prattle -" too low-key and 20th Century to carry BIG films." Does that go for Tracy and Brando? You obviously don't know anything about film acting where less is more. As to reply 11. What are you talking about? You don't know anything about characterizations. Each actor was playing a character as delineated by Ibsen, and each did exceptionally well. They were consummate actors. Ingrid too.

by Anonymousreply 12January 1, 2022 10:47 PM

I'll never forget his guest spot on the Love Boat!

(Seriously though, I love him. Brief Encounter is one of my favorite movies)

by Anonymousreply 13January 1, 2022 10:52 PM

He's great.

by Anonymousreply 14January 2, 2022 2:29 PM

I read he was kinky and debauched and lied about turning down a knighthood because he was never offered one because he was such a freak.

by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2022 2:33 PM

His narration of the films that the British liberating forces took of the concentration camps was forceful, appropriately somber, and barely disguised revulsion.

Magnificent voice and features, aptly described as craggy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2022 2:50 PM

R15 I don't know about that but Wiki reports a 2001 biography by Terence Pettigrew saying he had actually been discharged from the British Army in 1943 for mental instability and having a "psychopathic personality"

Fair enough. Who wants to be drafted to go off and kill foreigners.

Anyway he was playing a draftee in 'The Way Ahead' in the following year and an RAF pilot in 'The Way to the Stars' in the year after that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2022 8:05 PM

He was in the looney film written by Bonzo Dog Band's front man Vivian Stanshall.

"The plot of Sir Henry at Rawlinson End revolves around attempts to exorcise the ghost of Humbert, the brother of drunken aristocrat Sir Henry (Trevor Howard) who was accidentally killed in a drunken duck-shooting incident whilst escaping trouserless from an illicit tryst. It transpires that Humbert's ghost will not rest until it is supplied with replacement trousers. Until then the ghost walks the corridors of Rawlinson End, often accompanied by that of Humbert's dog Gums which has repossessed its own body, now stuffed and mounted on a trolley. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2022 8:18 PM

He stayed out of tabloids for sure. Probably a quiet and nice man

by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2022 8:34 PM

[quote] Fair enough. Who wants to be drafted to go off and kill foreigners.

In England, 1943? Most of the country.

by Anonymousreply 20January 2, 2022 8:41 PM

Going off to fight in World War II was an extreme honor.

It wasn't until Vietnam with the draft, draft dodgers, and the draft exemptions (ministers, college students, etc.), did fighting in a war not be "honorable."

by Anonymousreply 21January 2, 2022 9:03 PM

Uh, there was a draft in WW2 as well. Plenty of guys didn't sign up to until they were forced to, sometimes not even then (draft dodgers existed and so did conscientious objectors)

by Anonymousreply 22January 2, 2022 9:17 PM

And the families of the British men who didn’t sign up voluntarily were publicly shamed. Men who worked in intelligence and code-breaking who were unable to divulge their domestic wartime activities were humiliated by the Kay person.

Plus conscientious objectors often attended the battlefield inn non-combat roles, they didn’t all go to prison.

Britain in the 40s is NOT like America was in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 23January 2, 2022 9:24 PM

No. Plenty of guys avoided signing up without being "shamed"

by Anonymousreply 24January 2, 2022 9:26 PM

[quote] Kay person

lay person

by Anonymousreply 25January 2, 2022 9:55 PM

He was terrifying in Mutiny on the Bounty. I love him in every part he played.

by Anonymousreply 26January 2, 2022 9:59 PM

[quote] He stayed out of tabloids for sure

His wife Helen appeared in a few movies and impressed me (an anonymous viewer) as a sensible, capable woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 2, 2022 10:10 PM

James Mason, another subject of a recent thread, was a conscientious objector in WW II, and it caused a rift with his family.

by Anonymousreply 28January 2, 2022 11:10 PM

Trevor Howard had a prominent jaw line which most men on earth would die for.

Men with prominent jaw lines are supposed to play heroes but Howard played too many failures. He went absolutely troppo in 'Outcast Of the Islands' and I seem to remember two or three Graham Greene roles which displayed Catholic moral failure and R7 remembers all those roles in the awful second half of his career when he played pathetic supporting parts as drunks and failures.

If he were alive today he would be sent to the gym in order to monetise and display his prominent jaw line and buff boobies alongside Henry Cavill and this other prominent jaw-lined beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 3, 2022 8:37 PM

He was offered the role of the Judge in And Then There Were None (1974).

by Anonymousreply 30January 3, 2022 8:54 PM

R7

[quote] when he was reportedly drunk most of the time

I wonder if Erroll was a bad influence on the younger Trevor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 6, 2022 6:21 AM

[Quote] Elder straight man here...

Do you have a Google Alert set for Trevor Howard or?

by Anonymousreply 32January 6, 2022 6:30 AM

R21 There's been great public amnesia about opposition to involvement in another European war.

The Selective Service Extension Act passed the House by just one vote in 1941.

And FDR promised this on October 30, 1940, at the height of his campaign for re-election: “And while I am talking to you, mothers and fathers, I give you one more assurance. I have said this before, but I shall say it again, and again and again. Your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars."

by Anonymousreply 33January 6, 2022 7:00 AM

FDR made that promise before The Japs bombed Pearl Harbor.

by Anonymousreply 34January 6, 2022 7:07 AM

[quote] he had actually been discharged from the British Army in 1943 for mental instability and having a "psychopathic personality"

I suspect that prevented from getting a US Working Visa.

All his co-stars were being poached by the US industry just after the war.

Harrison, Mason, Redgrave, Leo Genn, Deborah Kerr and Jean Simmons.

by Anonymousreply 35January 6, 2022 10:46 PM

I was trawling through Youtube trying to find stuff on Greer Garson and I cam across a shockingly primitive TV show from 1963.

It was a potted history lesson on Benjamin Disraeli.

Trevor Howard, looking very pock-marked, struggling to do anything with childish dialogue, and over-lit cardboard sets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2022 4:01 AM

That hair says late 1960s, early 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 37January 13, 2022 1:27 PM

Love him! Brief Encounter is one of my all time favorite films.

by Anonymousreply 38January 13, 2022 1:29 PM

[quote] Eldergays, Tell Me About Trevor Howard

Why do you preface your question with 'eldergays'?

Those videos at R11 and R63 are more accessible now than they were in the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2022 12:54 AM

R23

[quote] the families of the British men who didn’t sign up voluntarily were publicly shamed

And the families of the British men who didn’t sign up voluntarily were publicly shamed

Some of that ‘publicly shaming’ arose from pulp fiction.

The three Prince of Wales feathers are a heraldic device back to the 14th century to denote strength, probity etc. and they were used military, commerce, currency and sport

But Alfred Edward Woodley Mason wrote an adventure story called ‘The Four Feathers’ in 1902 where the Prince of Wales feathers were sent to the hero Harry Feversham, reminding him of his duty in the Holy war against the Muhammudan Mahdi in Sudan .

This popular story of 1902 gave the Prince of Wales feathers a new meaning in 1914.

Vice-Admiral in the Royal Navy Charles Penrose-Fitzgerald, 1841 – 1921) was anxious about insufficient men joining the army and navy. So he organised a group of thirty women in Folkestone to distribute white feathers to men not in uniform.

It was spread by suffragettes and other women throughout the Empire who took it as their job to pin white feathers on men they saw on the streets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2022 1:13 AM

I remember him being in a depressing movie with Capucine, 'The Lion' with William Holden. The whole thing radiated sadness.

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2022 6:57 AM

He was lots of fun in the 1977 Australian sex romp Eliza Fraser. If a recall correctly he played a gay character lusting after a young John Waters (not the director).

by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2022 7:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!