Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Guessing game: Will the Supreme Court block the release of Trump's documents to the House Jan 6 Committee?

Your guess is as good as mine. This is about what you think the SC will do, not whether you agree with it or not.

by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2022 5:39 AM

Roberts will point out to the stupid bunch that if they shield Trump they will also be shielding future (and perhaps present) Democrats that want to hide their misdeeds.

by Anonymousreply 1December 25, 2021 8:08 PM

^ And the deplorables on the court will say they’ll just rule differently for the democratic presidents.

by Anonymousreply 2December 26, 2021 10:44 AM

I don't believe the SC is going to "shield" Trump's papers. He is not the President and Congress has legitimate reason to see the documents that he is so intent to hide from public view. Those are public documents, by law, Trump has no compelling interest in protecting them, unless they actually contain evidence of the commission of a crime (in which case no hypothetical privilege would protect them, as a matter of law.). This is pretty well settled law and Donny has already lost this issue in 2 lower courts. He is just using the appeals as stall tactics, as with most of his other litigation. He's basically abusing the Court system. And working my last nerve.

by Anonymousreply 3December 26, 2021 10:57 AM

The poll is at 50:50.

by Anonymousreply 4December 26, 2021 2:58 PM

I don’t think they’ll hear the case.

by Anonymousreply 5December 26, 2021 3:30 PM

They don't want to be the court that presided over the end of democracy. It's all about legacy and personal power for them. Outlaw abortion and gay marriage, yes, but give up the republic , no, except for Thomas (please die already). Cry'ng Kavanaugh and Barrett just got there and probably would want to enjoy their power for awhile. I hope.

by Anonymousreply 6December 26, 2021 3:57 PM

I don’t think they give a shit anymore about Trump. They probably will wait until after January 6, but will rule against him.

by Anonymousreply 7December 26, 2021 4:02 PM

[Quote] They don't want to be the court that presided over the end of democracy

Don't be too sure.

by Anonymousreply 8December 26, 2021 4:21 PM

I don't know how they will rule.

But,obviously however they rule will set a precedent on how other future Presidents will be treated.

No one can pretend otherwise.

So the precedent being set is important.

by Anonymousreply 9December 26, 2021 4:24 PM

When is the decision expected?

by Anonymousreply 10December 26, 2021 4:26 PM

The United States Supreme Court is a branch of the Republican Party and an offshoot of the Catholic Church. They’ll protect their own.

by Anonymousreply 11December 26, 2021 4:27 PM

Didn't do the poll. SCOTUS will not block the release. The three liberals plus Roberts will not. So then there are the others. They all have lifetime positions and Trump can do nothing about that. Thus, there is no reason to protect him. But they want to protect their own jobs. The abortion issue may very well bring about a change in the Court, but the abortion issue compounded by protecting Trump will definitely bring about a strong impetus for change in the Court. That could affect their futures. Since they gain nothing by protecting Trump and could lose a lot for doing so, I predict enough of the remaining 5 to make a majority will not protect him.

by Anonymousreply 12December 26, 2021 4:45 PM

A few hours after Trump filed his request, the House committee and the archivist asked the justices to fast-track their consideration of Trump’s petition for review. Under normal circumstances, briefs opposing the petition would be due on Jan. 24. But the committee and the archivist indicated that they instead plan to file their briefs opposing review and opposing a stay of the D.C. Circuit’s decision on Dec. 30, and they asked the justices to consider the case at their private conference on Jan. 14. Trump has also consented to their proposed timetable, they told the court.

by Anonymousreply 13December 26, 2021 4:50 PM

When Trump loses, he will just go on to the next lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 14December 26, 2021 4:57 PM

There is no legal basis for blocking the release. To do so would be a blatant political move, and would pretty much put the nail in the coffin of the legitimacy of the Supreme Court. The justices know this, so I think it would be pretty surprising if they didn't summarily dismiss tfg's claim.

by Anonymousreply 15December 26, 2021 4:57 PM

Don’t they already know what’s in the documents? A bunch of Stop the Steal meetings and notes showing Trump was highly involved?

by Anonymousreply 16December 26, 2021 5:04 PM

[Quote] To do so would be a blatant political move

Stacking the sc was already blatantly political. It's already a tool of the executive and legislature. Tell me, does anyone really respect the sc? Do you?

by Anonymousreply 17December 26, 2021 11:06 PM

Like Trump wouldn’t have had anything that made him look bad destroyed. Why does anyone think there’s anything in any papers that would hurt Trump?

by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2021 12:30 AM

Well, clearly there is because he is fighting it. He doesn’t have to be the author for them to be incriminating documents.

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2021 1:07 AM

It was always about the S.C.

We went round and round about this when Hillary was running.

Abortion rights, civil rights (gay marriage and adoptions) and voting rights.

We all knew. As my grandmother always said "you were told".

Just because she was/is unlikable doesn't mean she wasn't right.

by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2021 1:20 AM

You see which side the sc has come down on women's rights and vaccination mandates. It's not looking good.

by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2022 7:11 PM

SCOTUS have voted to let them be released! Trump is dump!

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2022 10:55 PM

Dont be too excited. Remember, Trump and his administration are known to not keep records, hiding information, and destroying evidence. There might not be much of importance in them when we get them.

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2022 11:01 PM

The records include "Sugar, Sugar" by The Archies and "Puppy Love" by Donny Osmond.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2022 11:05 PM

Why do you think Clarence Thomas was the only dissenting voice? Something to do with Ginny's involvement?

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2022 11:23 PM

But her emails....

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2022 11:24 PM

R23 It's possible Obama's team wired computer records to have a way to later backup whatever stuff the Trump presidency would do when they moved in, even if they deleted it.

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2022 11:33 PM

I wonder if a roundup will result in something like what happened to the nazis. Suicide, death in jail, fleeing the country - and the nazi or nazi leaning populace running, hiding and reinventing their past.

by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2022 5:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!