Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pit bull rips off mother's arms as she tries to save son

Ban these dogs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 25, 2022 2:08 AM

Stop posting this shit.

by Anonymousreply 1December 22, 2021 3:43 PM

Pit Bull owners have "kin". I love the shady Post.

by Anonymousreply 2December 22, 2021 3:51 PM

When you make poor choices, you suffer the consequences. Sorry a child is left without a mother at Christmas, but the family even admits the dog was aggressive. This breed should absolutely never be allowed around kids.

by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2021 3:56 PM

Horrific. Ban these things. I hope by 2030 they are banned.

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2021 4:01 PM

We can't ban dogs specifically bred to tear living things larger than themselves to pieces because....freedom?

by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2021 4:02 PM

Mom had arms ripped OFF. Not ripped apart.

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2021 4:06 PM

The NYPOST is in favor of these things?

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2021 4:06 PM

Not OP R1 but why? DL is a forum for discussion of all subjects. Frankly, I'd rather the royal obsessive go away but all I can do is hit ignore.

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2021 4:22 PM

Trump voter?

by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2021 4:48 PM

I can't get with people who knowingly have a dangerous animal in their home, with children yet.

As soon as I read it was their dog, I had zero sympathy for a mother putting her child in peril...I though when I started reading this it was a loose dog that attack them

by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2021 4:59 PM

The nanny breed strikes again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2022 3:30 AM

Getting the news from the New York Post is like getting the gist of what happened from a friend who may have been there and may now be drunk or high.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2022 3:32 AM

We love our pitties! They're so misunderstood!

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2022 3:37 AM

I don't care who reports these attacks. I just want them reported.

I saw that granny attacked before. It was so just out of the blue and in your face. I mean in her face.

France banned them and they got bred out of existence in maybe 10 years or less. Every once in a while, you read about one that slipped through the ban or brought in from another country with a different label. A woman was killed by hers in the past 5 years or so and they tried to blame it on some hunting hounds which naturally proved untrue.

As an aside: I learned some years ago that the pit lobby was able to persuade the CDC to stop tracking statistics on deaths and attacks by breeds. Right there I sadly learned not to trust the CDC. I couldn't believe they were so susceptible to political lobbying - and lobbying actually harmful to people and other animals.

Thankfully some groups formed to take up the statistical gathering using among other methods FOIA requests to local sheriffs, MEs, etc. They try to make sure they hunt down the photos of these pits because pit nutters always try to deny the breed.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 3:43 AM

A fellow I had a lovely dinner date with unnerved me when he said he has a pitbull, "sweet as can be" he said.

I lost intererst.

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 3:51 AM

More vicious anti-pitbull propaganda! These gentle land sharks were used to dig the tunnels used in the underground railroads, guided lost dementia patients back to their loved ones, protected disabled orphaned children from sleep paralysis demons in the 1800s, and discovered the polio vaccine. It just is what it is and pitphobes will deal.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 3:58 AM

[quote]A fellow I had a lovely dinner date with unnerved me when he said he has a pitbull, "sweet as can be" he said. I lost interest.

They're all sweet, until they rip off your arms.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 5:39 AM

I'd love to see a rabid chimpanzee face off a rabid pitbull. Who would win?

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 5:40 AM

Play with fire, etc.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 5:50 AM

Naturally, the boyfriend had a gun.

Pitbulls and guns.

Oh, but 'aint that America?

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 6:04 AM

I can't stand people blaming the dogs in these situations - ban irresponsible owners from having dogs, do NOT ban the dogs themselves.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 8:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2022 8:42 AM

Why are there two separate pitbull experiences? One which we can see repeatedly on Youtube and social media, of well mannered goofy dogs, full of affection and part of the family, the other of dogs on the edge of a grotesque violent outburst? Because the first experience clearly isn’t the second experience ‘just waiting to happen’.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2022 8:53 AM

The guy across the street from me has five pit bulls that live outside. The guy at the end of the street has three of them. The guy around the corner has one. And I was attacked by a stray one six weeks ago and I have a broken shoulder (humerus) and badly bruised knee, face, and other (not the shoulder side) hand from him knocking me to the ground.

The animal control guy took my report and said he knew the exact dog that had jumped me, but that no one in the past would make a report or testify. I said I would be more than happy to testify. But (I heard) the dog went after a kid the following week, so he was finally put down without any help from me.

Since then, I have had no less than four people tell me this dog had attacked them as well. His attack M.O. was running right at you, and then dodging back and grabbing your heel/shoe/pant leg (in my case) and pulling with all his might.

My sister gave me a can of mace for Xmas. Now I carry it whenever I walk in the neighborhood. Just keep your fingers crossed I don't have to use it.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2022 8:53 AM

You can't ban stupidity. Imagine if these people were your neighbors!

People must have felt terrorized to see them walking this "aggressive" dog down the street which they obviously couldn't control.

And then the boyfriend shoots the dog on the front lawn - further endangering the community with their out of control dog and possible stray bullets from this gun nut! They're probably antivax too.

I have no sympathy for people who don't give a damn about others.

Trumpers don't care about endangering others (including their own kids) as long as they have unfettered "freedom" to do whatever the hell they want.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2022 9:26 AM

Pitbulls are like most other species, including humans. After birth If the pups are raised by a mother (and possibly the father too) who was never socialized properly the pup is going to assume the same demeanor. I don't believe at all that pitbulls are inherently a dangerous breed because of some genetic abnormality. Unfortunately the breed attracts too many people who should not be allowed to own animals, especially dogs with powerful jaws. The only difference in a pitbull that was poorly raised and a chihuahua that was poorly raised is the difference in size and strength. People look at a mean chihuahua and laugh even though a mean one can do some serious damage to a small child. They look at a mean pitbull and are rightly terrified.

I believe pitbulls that are dangerous should be put down and their owners prohibited from ever owning another one. According to statistics, there are approximately 18 million pit bulls in the United States. With that many pitbulls the number of attacks reported yearly is actually quite low. I believe the number of dangerous ones is a tiny percentage of the total population of these dogs.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2022 9:49 AM

R26 is correct. It’s not the breed.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2022 11:25 AM

Breeding them in my province is illegal for a reason. It IS the breed. Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2022 11:28 AM

Ignorant try. I’ve raised them and many other breeds.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2022 11:30 AM

Pitbulls were bred to kill bulls in South America, yes?

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2022 12:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2022 12:25 PM

If you go to our local no kill shelter, the only dogs there are Pitts..those dogs should be euthanized.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2022 1:45 PM

It was never like this in the 90s. What changed?

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2022 1:47 PM

I think the father who brought the pit bull home as a pet should be dragged to the yard and shot.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2022 1:56 PM

If you call them "pitties" instead of "pit bulls" then your mauling is so much cuter!

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2022 2:05 PM

R21. No, and frankly UKGUY, based on your other post, I am surprised you would say something so uncharacteristically stupid.

We don’t allow people per tigers because they are deadly animals. Sure, if properly trained, the risk of attack is very low. But, it always there.

This is the same for pit bulls. It doesn’t matter how much “love” you give them; the risk is always there. They were bred to attack. And they now need to be bred out.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2022 2:06 PM

Isn’t it such a coincidence that the bad owners always have pitbulls ?

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2022 2:07 PM

Pitbulls are not BRED to kill anything. They are TRAINED to kill. They are bred for their strength.

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2022 2:11 PM

Bred to attack. Bred to kill.

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2022 2:15 PM

Two biggest sources of misinformation on the web:

1. The New York Post

2. Dataloungers on anything concerning animals.

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2022 2:27 PM

Misinformation on pitbulls - I love it.

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2022 2:28 PM

Breeds are not trained from birth. When they are born, generations of past breeding and training guarantees that they will exhibit the qualities they were bred for, with or without human intervention.

My West Highland Terrier digs rapid holes and is drawn to openings created by moles and other small animals from hundreds of years of training to hunt vermin. In fact their tails are rigid and lack sensitivity through generations of owners pulling them from crevices by their tail.

It’s also pretty obvious that a ‘bad’ Westie owner cannot create a killer Westie.

Pit Bulls share a group of generationally bred tendencies that can manifest themselves in the form of a variety of aggressive and dangerous behaviors. It’s also clear that many modern Pit Bull owners and breeders are accentuating the more aggressive aspects of the breed.

All types of aggressive and predatory animals can appear ‘cute’ or ‘playful’ or ‘happy’ or ‘gentle.’ That does not predispose that they won’t unexpectedly become aggressive and violent with little warning. The Pit Bull is a risky breed. To believe otherwise is foolish.

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2022 2:36 PM

My last roommate had three dogs, one of which was a pitbull who was totally in love with me. His name is Snappy, of all things. He would sit outside my room for hours waiting for scritches and attention and follow me around the house at heel.

One night I was alone with the dogs and the little elderly dachshund was nosing his way into a food bin, so I walked over to shut it and Snappy followed me (as usual). As I was shooing the dogs away, Snappy snapped. He didn't make a noise. He didn't growl. He just turned and chomped the little dachshund's throat and shook him to death.

It was over in less than 10 seconds and then Snappy was back to his old sweet self again like nothing had happened.

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2022 2:41 PM

Forgot to add those two dogs had lived together for more than 10 years and never had an incident before that night.

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2022 2:44 PM

I’m listening to my Pitbull playlist now!

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2022 2:47 PM

So sorry to hear this, R24! I hope you’re making a good recovery.

by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2022 2:47 PM

[quote]He just turned and chomped the little dachshund's throat and shook him to death. It was over in less than 10 seconds and then Snappy was back to his old sweet self again like nothing had happened.

I admire that.

by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2022 3:06 PM

I'm trying, R46 -- thanks for the thought. I wrote about it here not too long after it happened in another thread, because I was so depressed after my injuries (and over the holidays, yet!) that I was up in the middle of the night brooding about it. My x-ray after four weeks showed there's been no healing of the humerus whatsoever, but I go back in two weeks, and I'm hopeful that it will be a bit better by then. But at least now I can walk without pain and use my right hand; up until two or so weeks ago, I couldn't do either of those things. So I'm getting better, albeit slowly.

I must say, it was gratifying to hear that other people had been attacked by this dog -- I feel like I really did a service to the community by reporting it. I just wish other people had done the same before he got to me.

by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2022 3:27 PM

What a horrible way to die.

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2022 3:32 PM

Pitbulls aside, this is a really weird story:

[quote]When Shane returned home that afternoon, he said Heather was in the bathroom with the door closed and she told him that Damion had fallen down the steps and she didn't know where he was, according to a police report from the Shawano County Sheriff's Office. After he located the boy in the living room, Shane returned to the bathroom and found the family's pit bull attacking Heather.

So she's having her arms ripped off and doesn't mention it?

[quote]When officers arrived shortly before 3 p.m., they found Heather on the bathroom floor, struggling to breath and unable to speak. Damion was sitting in a chair in the living room with a severe injury to his leg, the report said. The dog was dead. The immediate aftermath was a blur for everyone involved, says Shannon. Only Heather knows for sure what happened and she was unable to communicate with family and police.

So basically this woman was brutally slaughtered and everyone's just taking the boyfriend's word that the dog did it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 17, 2022 3:41 PM

R42 and R43 win the thread.

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2022 5:07 PM

Pit bulls are banned here in Norway.

by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2022 5:35 PM

Lunch time poll. Let’s say you know that at some point in your future you will be attacked by a dog; it is inevitable and beyond your control, as dog attacks often are. You are however given the luxury of choosing the breed that will attack you. How many do you suppose would choose a pit bull? The problem with this breed lies in the reasoning behind that answer. There are a lot of sweet breeds, but sparingly few that are able to tear your arms off.

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2022 5:50 PM

R24 Sorry to hear of your injuries. I wish you a speedy and full recovery. I have always been a runner and after having been chased and terrorized by many stray dogs and dogs of owners who walk nearby but like to let their dogs "run around off the chain," I began carrying mace on my key chain.

I haven't had to use the mace yet, but I always make sure it's visible when I come upon owners with dogs running off the chain. Now they have sense enough to call their mutts. I love animals but If a strange dog gets too close, I'll have no problem blasting them with mace and kicking the shit out of them!

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2022 6:53 PM

This story doesn't any direct connection to my continuing gay experience. So, I refuse to acknowledge it.

by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2022 6:56 PM

Ban yourself, OP. And screw yourself while your at it, Michael Vick.

by Anonymousreply 56January 17, 2022 6:58 PM

It's not the heat, it's the humidity. or something.

by Anonymousreply 57January 17, 2022 7:02 PM

That sounds awful and so very painful, R48! I hope you do find you make some progress with your humerus and that you're able to manage your pain.

I remember recently reading about some supplement that helped with bone healing, but I can't remember what it was called. I know it had collagen, calcium, vitamins C, D, and K in it, as well as some other things. My aunt broke her humerus recently and her doctor suggested something like this too. Maybe something like this would help your recovery?

by Anonymousreply 58January 17, 2022 7:52 PM

Anyone who denies that dogs are bred for specific traits and performance are ignorant of canine genetics and behavior.

Ignore them.

by Anonymousreply 59January 17, 2022 10:38 PM

I'm taking calcium, R46/R58. Hopefully that's helping. My next appointment/x-ray is on the 31st, and I'm hopeful. But if there's been no healing at that point (8 weeks after the break), they'll be considering surgery to insert screws in the bone (!). I'm counting down the days until I can get the next set of x-rays.

Interestingly enough, I saw yet another stray pit bull today up the road from my place at the convenience store. He was a big brown boy and I made sure I stayed on the other side of the parking lot from him. None of the people there would leave their vehicles until he finally took off running on the other direction. I found myself almost hoping he would get hit by a car, as that is a very busy intersection. Before I was attacked, I would have gone up to him and tried to catch him to keep him out of the road, but now...

by Anonymousreply 60January 17, 2022 11:10 PM

I like scrolling through pics and videos on IG of German Shepherds, retrievers and Belgian Shepherds. Adult dogs and puppies. But American pit bull stuff always sneaks in and the muscles, size and teeth on those animals = scary. I've never clicked on the pit bull stuff, but IG keeps popping it in there regularly among the feed: manacing looking adult pits among the German shepherd puppy videos I look at the most. Wtf? There's no sneaking in of collies or great Danes.

by Anonymousreply 61January 18, 2022 1:14 AM

Pit bulls are bred to attack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 18, 2022 1:18 AM

Pit Bulls are trash dogs owned by trash people. They're monstrous animals almost genetically predisposed to violence and brutality, but Certain People parade them around on a chain like a status symbol.

What kind of human garbage keeps one of these beasts to impress other people?

by Anonymousreply 63January 18, 2022 1:27 AM

That's just awful at R62. If you pay attention as I have been for many years now, you'd know this is a very common occurrence. And with no consequences for the pit or the owner.

I think the stats on pits killing other animals is about 30,000 every year. Pets and livestock. This is not normal no matter what pit nutters say.

by Anonymousreply 64January 18, 2022 1:37 AM

Is your thread about this still here, R60? I'd like to follow it, but searched and don't see it. Glad to hear you're taking calcium!

by Anonymousreply 65January 18, 2022 1:44 AM

Sorry to hear that R24.

by Anonymousreply 66January 18, 2022 1:49 AM

I’m sorry I totally agree with a lot of the statements that are on here. I’ve had a pitbull for 13 years. She is the sweetest thing in the world. It’s how the dog is raised. It makes me sick how people treat them.

by Anonymousreply 67January 18, 2022 2:07 AM

Christ. It is NOT solely how they are raised r67! I would like you to find an example of a Labrador or Golden Retriever who ripped off arms. I’ve got all night long too.

by Anonymousreply 68January 18, 2022 2:28 AM

If I see someone walking toward me with their pit bull while I'm walking my dog, I always cross the street. I will not take any chances with these animals. They are no less dangerous than wild animals.

by Anonymousreply 69January 18, 2022 4:10 AM

I love how the individuals who claim that pit bulls aren't a problem breed try to defend them against panels of experts that were able to pass legislature that made their breeding illegal.

You aren't magic trainers. They are bad.

by Anonymousreply 70January 18, 2022 4:46 AM

R70 - it's always these lunatic dog lovers with liontamer complexes. Oh - they were probably abused! Owners like US who will love them and KNOW how to train dogs would never have dogs act this way.

Uh-huh. Utter bullshit.

It's either the liontamers or it's the anti-social types who think they're badasses and like to scare people. They're both pieces of shit.

by Anonymousreply 71January 18, 2022 4:54 AM

Pit bulls came up at work yesterday. Most people were like "whatever, I'm not a dog person, I never see them around." One old lady who is always contrarian (rudely so) and bad-tempered reeled out all the stupid lines ("it's how they're raised, they're sweet") and said she's going to get one when she retires. She also loves vacationing on the red neck Rivera, has skin that looks like leather and a bad platinum dye job, and totters around on plateau heels in animal print leggings. I wasn't surprised to hear she likes pit bulls.

by Anonymousreply 72January 18, 2022 5:05 AM

Lol, no sane person owns shitbulls.

by Anonymousreply 73January 18, 2022 5:07 AM

i have met some wonderful pit bulls. And a few that were wonderful in their own way but also aggressive towards either people or other animals.

Fun fact: According to a vet friend, about 8 out of 10 owners of dogs with aggression problems don't want to hear it and don't want to do anything about it.

by Anonymousreply 74January 18, 2022 5:46 AM

[quote] Fun fact: According to a vet friend, about 8 out of 10 owners of dogs with aggression problems don't want to hear it and don't want to do anything about it.

Haha that's funny.

They're probably the exact same parents who raise SHIT kids.

Those assholes shouldn't be allowed to have dogs OR kids.

by Anonymousreply 75January 18, 2022 7:04 AM

I used to have a grooming shop yrs ago and most of the dogs that came for a grooming were untrained pain in the asses..many were nasty too.

99% of the time it was the owners fault for not training Poopsie and expecting the dog to train itself by 6 month old.

The other 1% were just nasty. Dogs that no one should own. If they told me Bowser was biting everyone in the family, I would ask why would you keep a beast like that? What joy could it be giving you.

by Anonymousreply 76January 18, 2022 12:21 PM

R14, I also suspect that the statistics are misleading because they include bites by legitimate working dogs. A K9 biting someone is not the same thing as a family’s German Shepherd biting someone (which does happen on occasion, but they won’t eat your face).

I knew a family with a GSD that, for whatever reason, was just a “bad dog.” Nice family and they sent the dog to training, did everything, but he remained a problem. But I was never terrified of him. He was aggressive, but he would bite or try to bite and then back off. He didn’t eat people. I’ve known lots of smaller dogs that were aggressive, but it doesn’t matter that much. Every time I see a pit bull at a dog park I get nervous.

Even if it is “how they are raised” (it isn’t) and even though “any dog can snap” (they can), it’s only pit bulls that latch in and tear all the flesh off someone. And packs of dogs. That’s another issue.

by Anonymousreply 77January 18, 2022 12:45 PM

Those who say “ban these dogs” usually have zero idea what they’re talking about and sharing these stories is idiotic. My chihuahua bit my lip and pulled hard the other day - it bled for hours and it’s still swollen, three days later. Should we ban chihuahuas?

I volunteer ten hours a week at a large, open intake animal shelter and work with the “naughty” dogs - the dogs that jump, get a bit mouthy, bite the leash, etc. Dogs that need a bit of training before being placed safely. In the seven years I have volunteered there, there have been fewer than 15 dogs euthanized for dangerous behavior and they include a lab (who bit the crap out of my friend’s face), a golden retriever (neglected at childhood and treated shabbily by new adopter), a small terrier, and yes, a couple of pitties. I get the daily outcome report so I have the data; plus we all obviously discuss details after any event, which are rare.

The vast majority of our large dogs have some pittie in them and I’ve never felt unsafe with any of them. In fact, pitties are far more likely to climb into a lap for smooches than to bite. If the shelter and community supports positive reinforcement and training, even neglected dogs can have excellent lives. Look at the Michael Vick dogs - after all that torture and abuse, they have all gone to live happy, safe lives.

by Anonymousreply 78January 18, 2022 1:40 PM

R78, that’s awesome, but I’m not even sure how I feel about a mixed pit. I might not have a problem with that.

I would still love to read a single case of a lab or golden ripping off a humans arms. It’s not the same. A chihuahua biting your lip is not the same thing as having two limbs torn off your body, so no, I would not want to eliminate chihuahuas lolol.

by Anonymousreply 79January 18, 2022 2:03 PM

[quote] Those who say “ban these dogs” usually have zero idea what they’re talking about and sharing these stories is idiotic. My chihuahua bit my lip and pulled hard the other day - it bled for hours and it’s still swollen, three days later. Should we ban chihuahuas?

That you would argue this demonstrates who the idiot is. And that you have a dog who bites, and you let that dog near your face, is extraneous evidence.

by Anonymousreply 80January 18, 2022 2:03 PM

I know of three people who had sweet, loving pit bulls. But the thing those three had in common was that (a) all of them were adopted as puppies, (b) from litters where the mama and papa dogs were known, and their behavior was known, and (c) had very solid, disciplined training at a young age.

They are loyal dogs, but they MUST get intense obedience training because of their size. Like German Shepherds, they develop protective behaviors and can become violent if they perceive an issue.

And there are some sub-breeds within the pit bull breed - the blue nose ones, for example - who are inbred in a similar way that dobermans are inbred, and are known to have behavioral issues.

I've had nice experiences with pit bulls but I understand why some people feel they should be banned, they should at minimum be heavily regulated, from adoption to ownership. They are NOT dogs you can leave at home for 10 hours a day. They are NOT dogs that can run off leash. They are NOT dogs that anyone but the most experience dog owner should consider adopting.

by Anonymousreply 81January 18, 2022 2:11 PM

They’re sweet until they’re not.

by Anonymousreply 82January 18, 2022 2:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 18, 2022 2:31 PM

R78, to admit that your own chihuahua bit your face and left you bleeding for hours and swollen days later is all I need to know about your credentials in training or understanding pets.

I laud you for your volunteer work on behalf of abandoned animals, but question the validity of your observations. I was born into a family of dog lovers, and have had companion dogs of at least a dozen breeds mixes and mutts. None of them ever bit my or anyone else's face.

You have to admit it’s a little funny. I can hear it now:

Volunteer at the animal shelter:

“Wow! No Palm Oil! What happened to your face???”

No Palm Oil:

“Oh it’s nothing really. My chihuahua just bit my face and I bled for hours. Naughty little dog.”

by Anonymousreply 84January 18, 2022 2:48 PM

A story popped up in my feed the other day about a 14-day old infant in the UK with irresponsible parents who was killed by a "staffordshire" terrier. Mom was sleeping and dad was out smoking.

by Anonymousreply 85January 18, 2022 2:56 PM

[quote] Those who say “ban these dogs” usually have zero idea what they’re talking about and sharing these stories is idiotic.

No, R178, you're the idiot. They are almost all sweet, lovable until they are not. The problem has always been that these genetic traits - which cannot be trained or loved away - persist and you cannot know in advance which pits or pit mixes will heed the call of Mother Nature or when that might happen. The consequences of that happening are so devastating and too often deadly that it is not worth keeping this breed in existence. There is no reason to keep this risky breed going in future. None.

The Vick dogs have considerable fundraising value. Some pitter organizations also capitalized on Vick's dogs. Each dog also came with a $18,275 dowry, as part of the sentence deal worked out with Michael Vick. The sizable press campaign around the "Vicktory" dogs has undoubtedly brought in substantial donations.

Twenty one of the Vick dogs were deemed too unstable for adoption.

Nonetheless there were unscrupulous pit centered groups that issued false public statements about these dogs and their suitability for rehabilitation and suitability for adoption (which you seem to have gullibly swallowed whole) and as a result policies were adopted that set a dangerous precedent. Shelters and rescue groups follow the leader. As a result, more and more animal groups believe that unstable fighting dogs can be rehabilitated and placed into private homes. This practice, however, places the safety of families and beloved pets at great risk.

Another serious issue is that temperament is an inheritable trait – which is why when you buy from a breeder you should be able to see the parents and grandparents for their temperament. Fighting dogs should never be bred.

by Anonymousreply 86January 18, 2022 9:59 PM

I love the gall of someone calling this thread idiotic when provided gruesome details on what pitbulls do to people and animals. Even one poster who was mauled and severely injured. I guess this is where we are as a society where we reject facts. We reject logic.

by Anonymousreply 87January 18, 2022 10:52 PM

*when we

by Anonymousreply 88January 18, 2022 10:53 PM

Fuck off OP

by Anonymousreply 89January 18, 2022 10:56 PM

Not every dog from a breed will demonstrate every single characteristic of the breed, but we cannot deny breeds favor certain traits. I have a Newfoundland, a breed known, among other characteristics, as being good working dogs. My girl resists anything resembling “work” for a dog, such as carrying things, etc. Since she is the gentle giant the breed promotes, however, I can guarantee she will never rip anyone’s arms off.

by Anonymousreply 90January 18, 2022 11:40 PM

My dog was attacked by an off-leash pit bull. It was strong, but I was able to get it to loosen its grip on my dog's neck by leveraging my body weight against its neck. I now carry a knife when I walk my dogs and, if it happens again, the pit bull will have its throat slit right there in the street.

by Anonymousreply 91January 18, 2022 11:41 PM

[quote]I now carry a knife when I walk my dogs

What a world.

by Anonymousreply 92January 18, 2022 11:42 PM

What if carjackers start bringing their pit bulls with them?

by Anonymousreply 93January 19, 2022 12:09 AM

I suspect that if Pitbulls were all euthanised, within 5 years we'd be back to the same number of serious dog attacks. Because the people who are bad pitbull owners would simply move on to be bad owners of another physically strong breed.

by Anonymousreply 94January 19, 2022 10:18 PM

Wrong^.

This was never the case in the 80s while I was growing up. Or the 90s. I never saw pitbulls and I lived in blue-collar areas.

by Anonymousreply 95January 19, 2022 10:21 PM

[QUOTE]There is evidence to suggest that owners of vicious dogs are far more likely to have criminal convictions for violent crimes which may go some way towards explaining the Pit Bull’s disproportionate rate of fatal attacks. The Rottweiler came second with 45 fatal attacks recorded while the German Shepherd was third with 20. Even some breeds that are not associated with aggression, such as the Labrador Retriever, also make the top-10 list with 9 fatal attacks documented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 19, 2022 10:28 PM

I actually adopted my pitbull when she was about two. The people that had her lost their house so they had no place to put her. I got her for 20 bucks. She reminded me of my grandmother’s dog. I had lost my grandmother that following year. I figured having a dog would help me. I have a feeling they just left her outside all the time because she was not potty trained or anything. I’ve had her for about 10 years now. And she has been a loyal sweet friend. I’m single. So when I come home from work every day she is so happy to see me. I’m so glad I got her. I’m more afraid of humans than dogs.

by Anonymousreply 97January 19, 2022 11:23 PM

^ I too was more afraid of humans than dogs but then I got bit.

by Anonymousreply 98January 20, 2022 5:09 AM

R78 I would not advocate banning chihuahuas but they don't have a history of terrorizing people. If a dog I owned bit my face that would be the last thing it bites in its lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 99January 20, 2022 9:25 AM

R97, fingers crossed. You were lucky.

by Anonymousreply 100January 20, 2022 5:46 PM

Neighbor has had enough!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 20, 2022 9:21 PM

The Little Rascals, Our Gang, had a pitbull. The dog with the black eye patch was a pit. There were no incidents with all those children. Strange how they used to be a normal breed.

by Anonymousreply 102January 20, 2022 11:45 PM

"It's all about how you raise them."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 21, 2022 2:08 AM

[quote] The Little Rascals, Our Gang, had a pitbull. The dog with the black eye patch was a pit. There were no incidents with all those children. Strange how they used to be a normal breed.

LOL! You obviously don't know the real story. That dog was vicious and bit people. Someone ended up putting glass in its food and killing it.

You can find news items from the turn of the 20th century about pits attacking people.

by Anonymousreply 104January 21, 2022 2:58 AM

If he'd only gotten one, she could've kept her job as a paper hanger.

by Anonymousreply 105January 21, 2022 3:10 AM

“ We someone think of the children!!!!!”

by Anonymousreply 106January 24, 2022 11:56 PM

They need to stop breeding them and end the breed. They’re the serial killers of the canine world! It’s fucking mind blowing anyone would get one let alone near children.

by Anonymousreply 107January 25, 2022 2:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!