Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best Actress 2021

Who do you think of the likely to win the best actress Academy Award for her performance in a film released in 2021?

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2022 4:23 AM

Khrishten Schtewart for Shpensher.

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2021 5:29 AM

What a crummy group of nominees. No wonder nobody give a rat's ass about the Oscars anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2021 5:31 AM

R3, au contraire. it's the strongest group of performances in many years.

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2021 5:32 AM

I'm betting on Zegler. She's getting absolutely incredible reviews for bother her singing and acting, Hollywood will get to crown a new ingenue princess, plus she has two other big-budget epics in the works so she'll score votes from the cast and crew of those films, as well.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2021 5:34 AM

I think West Side Story has to do well at the box office for it to get any Oscar wins.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2021 5:39 AM

[quote] au contraire. it's the strongest group of performances in many years.

Hah! Like I said, with nominees like this no wonder nobody gives a about the Oscars anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2021 5:44 AM

I thought Stewart gave a great performance in a messy movie that didn't deserve it. "Diana haunted by Anne Boleyn!"

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2021 5:45 AM

R6, maybe stick to the Marvel Universe films and let people who like grown-up movies discuss this thread.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2021 5:46 AM

I'll probably win again. Wow this is so annoying.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2021 5:50 AM

Emma Corrin or Kristen Stewart?

Who was better?

(didn't see either.)

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2021 5:51 AM

I hope it is Fern.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2021 5:53 AM

R10, I've seen both and preferred Corrin. I've liked Stewart's work with foreign directors in the past, such as Personal Shopper and Clouds of Sils Maria, but I thought Spencer was a heavy-handed mess.

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2021 5:54 AM

R12 I agree. I thought she did a good job, but the movie was terrible, like Andrew Garfield in Under the Silver Lake.

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2021 5:57 AM

R12 Same director.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2021 6:02 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2021 6:04 AM

Audiences don't like Spencer much. 50 percent on rotten tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2021 6:09 AM

I cared enough to enter and said I at the moment I don't give a shit about this.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2021 6:12 AM

Yup, it's Rachel Zegler. She is getting good reviews and heaven forbid they give it to ANY white person.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2021 6:13 AM

Do they still give out the Academy Juvenile Award Oscar, like they did for Judy Garland , Hayley Mills, etc?

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2021 6:15 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2021 6:34 AM

R18, a white woman has won the best actress category every single year except for one (when Halle Berry won). I don't think the Academy would shy away from keeping that trend going this year, so you can relax.

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2021 6:36 AM

Rachel Zegler isn’t winning anything. Emmy Rossum didn’t win for The Phantom either.

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2021 6:42 AM

I think it could go either way: the Academy could choose to reward her despite this being her first starring role (a la Marlee Matlin) or, going the other way, they could say give her time to earn more credits and then give it to her next time (a la Jennifer Lawrence).

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2021 6:52 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2021 7:01 AM

I think they'd give McDormand another Oscar before any of the others.

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2021 7:30 AM

R24, wrong. Here's a smattering of Zeglar's reviews:

"As Maria, Zegler is a truly captivating discovery, with a delicacy that makes her appear to be floating on air — an impression deepened by her lilting soprano. Her wounded rage in the film’s finale cuts through the character’s sweetness with crushing force." - THR

"The superb Zegler, by contrast, brings a quality of luminous intelligence even to María’s wide-eyed naiveté; her clear-as-a-bell singing and deft timing serve her well amid the ebullient comedy of “I Feel Pretty,” and also amid the soaring passions of “Tonight,” in which a fire escape becomes Tony and María’s romantic refuge" - LAT

"the sensational breakout Zegler" - AP

"And the glorious Zegler, a newcomer barely out of her teens, gives a breakout star performance that will be talked about for years." - GMA

"Zegler (who'll follow this debut with another iconic role as Snow White) is positively luminous as Maria" - CNN

"Zegler – in her first film role – is the ideal Maria, a young woman brimming with life and hope." - BBC

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2021 6:45 PM

[quote]gives a breakout star performance that will be talked about for years."

What are the box office projections for WSS? It may not even be talked about after Dec. 11.

I have so little interest in seeing this. I can't be the only one.

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2021 6:48 PM

R27, it's expected to be a huge hit and the leader for Oscar nominations when they're announced. I can't wait to see it. It's Spielberg's first musical with a screenplay by Tony Kushner so that's reason enough to see it on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2021 7:09 PM

What is a Rachel Zegler ? Can any one tell me ? Whatever "it" is, I hope someone strangles "it."

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2021 8:01 PM

R29, ignorance is never amusing.

by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2021 9:16 PM

Rachel Zegler? Bullshit

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2022 4:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!