Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nighttime itchiness

Does anyone else get itchy while waiting to fall asleep at night? This has been an ongoing problem for at least 20 years, at least. I've had insomnia nearly my entire adult life since I was in college and the itching became an added, nearly nightly annoyance that made it harder to fall asleep. I get it everywhere on my body, even my feet. I've pretty much concluded it's psychosomatic. I've changed laundry detergents (even though I don't have this issue during the daytime), upped the frequency of changing sheets to three times a week, and I moisturize. I've taken benadryl but the effects wear off after about a week. I try to distract myself by reading; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm going to talk to my MD to see if there's a medication to deal with this, but my next appointment isn't until February.

Does anyone else experience this? Any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 81August 14, 2022 3:03 PM

Nerves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2021 9:31 AM

Anal itch at night

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2021 9:54 AM

Try taking supplements like magnesium. It seems to work for me. I used to suffer from it far more frequently.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2021 9:58 AM

Do not take magnesium at night until you have worked out what dosage you should take. Magnesium can also have a laxative effect

Get your doctor to prescribe generic Atarax 25 - 50 mg an hour before bedtime. It's wonderful. It's an old antihistamine. it doesn't do anything for your sinuses, but it works like magic on itchy skin

During the day, your walking around and all the hormones, chemicals in your body are being circulated. At night time they're just sitting there and that's why people itch more and will cough more when they have colds/coughs

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2021 10:18 AM

Seems like you're just itching to fall asleep?

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2021 10:22 AM

There are different forms of magnesium and you have to get the right one for sleep. Magnesium Citrate causes the laxative effect; Magnesium Glycinate is the one you want for sleep.

I'm not sure if that will help with OP's nerve itch issue, though.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2021 10:25 AM

Pamper your skin, baby. Grease it. I had ringworm too lol. So get cream for that if needed!

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2021 10:35 AM

Do you eat wheat products? I had an allergic reaction to wheat which cause a lot of itching.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2021 12:03 PM

Have a liver / pancreas function test.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2021 1:47 PM

Wash out your boi hole hunty

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2021 1:54 PM

Ask your provider for gabapentin.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2021 2:32 PM

My partner had itchy legs at night for years, starting in his early 20’s. He started getting these little blister like bumps on his knees, so went to the dr. It was a gluten sensitivity that cleared up almost immediately when he cut out wheat.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2021 2:42 PM

I had that a few years ago - it drove me crazy - after trying a million things - I found out that my Histamine levels were too high. I read the old Adele Davis book and took vitamin c and followed a low histamine diet for a week or so and it went away. I had moved not long before that so I went crazy thinking I was allergic to some plant/flower in my new yard, I checked all detergent, shampoo, air filters - nothing - I was going crazy. They say your histamine levels max out like an over flowing bath tub. Once you lower the levels you sort of “reset” your system. It made me crazy though - I kept thinking I might have that weird Joni Mitchell disease!

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2021 3:08 PM

Are you also feeling not so fresh?

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2021 3:27 PM

Yes, I do. Just in the last few years, my face, especially my lower face itches as I'm falling asleep.

It's annoying, but I've noticed that it's a sign I'm really falling asleep.

And it seems to come and go, so it doesn't both me as much anymore.

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2021 4:07 PM

The itching is coming from inside your head!

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2021 4:13 PM

Are you taking hot showers before bed? Taking too hot showers can cause your skin to become itchy.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2021 4:25 PM

My feet get very itchy yes

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2021 4:28 PM

Have you checked your bed for cooties, OP?

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2021 5:17 PM

It’s type 2 diabetes

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2021 5:26 PM

I take a 24-hr Claritin and it hasn't stopped working for me.

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2021 5:57 PM

Did you get a new bed OP? I got an inexpensive memory foam mattress and it made me itch. I had to get a new mattress

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2021 6:23 PM

Bed bugs or dust mites?

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2021 7:10 PM

Worms.

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2021 7:13 PM

Yeah, this happens to me! I sleep naked and my back always gets fucking itchy, or these little jabs of itchiness that drive me nuts and make me elbow the husbear to scratch my back. It's not the sheets or detergents, I've already been down that road. Oh, and my very bottom of my ass cheeks, like, the area right after your "taint", (sorry to be so graphic).. But that area, I get so itchy at night!!! Arghhh!!!!

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2021 7:18 PM

A friend recommended taking Pepcid when taking Benadryl or Zyrtec, and it worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2021 7:19 PM

I have itchy areas on my body (ears & neck, for some reason). My dermatologist said to use OTC cortisone cream. I bought "Cortizone 10" cooling gel cream, which works for me.

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2021 7:23 PM

I'll also add, I've become a little addicted to that Gold Bond medicated body lotion, (the one in the green bottle with a red pump). It has a bit of a tingle but not itchy, it's VERY refreshing and sooths your skin, it has a very light eucalyptus smell, sort of like that smell some nicer gym steam rooms have when they put eucalyptus in the steam. I'd really recommend this to any of you guys who want to try some new lotion. It isn't as thick and heavy as many of the Gold Bond lotions, goes on somewhat thin, not pasty, absorbs really well. I try not to use it every night but when I do, I don't have as much of an itch problem.

As far as that itchiness in the lower but cheek area, I've started putting either Gold Bond powder or spray-on powder or jock spray before bed every night. I HATE that this has become a new habit and hate doing it, but it usually keeps me from getting so itchy. Fuck, I sound like an old man now.

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2021 7:24 PM

R28, I'm chuckling reading about your Gold Bond use. But if it works, it works.

by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2021 7:33 PM

Ye OP.... that and restless legs at the same time. Neither sensation seems to bother me earlier in the evening. By 11-ish it starts to drive me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2021 8:10 PM

Scabies from a hookup, Filthy Whore OP. So proud, so jealous. No, you can't come over. Sure, because of covid. Such a skank

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2021 8:20 PM

And the worst part are those times when you scratch that intense itch and it immediately causes another itch on a different part of your body. Nerves!

by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2021 8:26 PM

Try CeraVe Itch Relief Moisturing Cream.

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2021 8:46 PM

In old country, these were places that needed the kiss of your lover.

It was a stupid, filthy country.

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2021 8:52 PM

[quote]In old country, these were places that needed the kiss of your lover.

I don't mind kissing a hot taint once and a while

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2021 9:51 PM

diabetes.............(really)

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2021 9:51 PM

Is your vagina real or man-made?

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2021 9:54 PM

[quote] Taking too hot showers can cause your skin to become itchy

My dermatologist says lots of people just need to wash the face, underarms and groin with soap and just do a quick rinse in the shower for the rest of the body.

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2021 9:57 PM

Get your liver checked, as someone upthread said.

Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2021 10:34 PM

R38 but too hot showers cause skin irritation.

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2021 10:35 PM

OP, if you've had this for at least 20 years then why haven't you seen a doctor already?

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2021 10:49 PM

What helps with Hemroids ?

by Anonymousreply 42December 5, 2021 3:39 AM

Rub, don't scratch.

by Anonymousreply 43December 5, 2021 3:47 AM

Jesus you need Ambien

by Anonymousreply 44December 5, 2021 4:51 AM

Had similar experience too. Tested my blood sugar and came out normal. Tried several hydrocortisone cream it didn't work. Luckily it stop though I might have bout of itchy legs from time to time.

Will try the low gluten see how will it goes.

by Anonymousreply 45December 5, 2021 5:33 AM

[quote]OP, if you've had this for at least 20 years then why haven't you seen a doctor already?

Why do you conclude I haven't? After more than a lot, you're still a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 46December 5, 2021 6:14 AM

OP here. Thank you for all the responses. T ishey give me a good basis to start researching. I didn't realize the itchy issue is more common than I thought. It was especially bad last night, so of course, the more preoccupied I became, the worse it got. Now I'm perfectly fine, but tired.

This has happened across three states, about four residences, and as many mattresses. I doubt it's dust mites or bed bugs, especially since I started changing sheets more frequently. Also, it's been ages since I stayed in a hotel, so I'm not sure how I'd bring them home.

Do Claratin or Atarax cause sleeplessness or tension? I took Sudafed in college for about a week and did not do well on it.

by Anonymousreply 47December 5, 2021 6:21 AM

Atarax can make people drowsy, but it's never caused me any drowsiness. It's an antihistamine so it doesn't cause any stimulating effects (feeling wired/tension)

Decongestants are stimulants and can make people feel wired.

A lot of people experience itchy skin at night, especially as they get older. My skin started itching when I was 40. I can only use fragrance free detergent and fabric softener. The only soap I can use on my skin is Dove. Everything else makes me itch

by Anonymousreply 48December 5, 2021 7:29 AM

Dryer sheets or fabric softeners are chemical bombs that not only affect the life of sheets and clothing but can irritate the holy hell out of your skin.

I see you've mentioned detergents OP but what about dryer sheets?

by Anonymousreply 49December 5, 2021 7:38 AM

Because OP/r46 you never mention having seen a doctor in your otherwise detailed post, although you do say you will see one in February. Which gives the impression you haven't seen one yet.

What did the doctor say, then?

by Anonymousreply 50December 5, 2021 7:45 AM

OP, I was suffering with the same nighttime itchy skin dilemma. I began washing my sheets more frequently and tried several anti-itch creams. Nothing seemed to do much good - until I began washing with a rough loofah. It seemed counter-intuitive as a night itch remedy, but it felt so good! I didn’t think much of it until I went to bed that night and noticed that my maddening itch problem was drastically reduced. Now I don’t shower without it. Worked for me - give it a try!

by Anonymousreply 51December 5, 2021 3:20 PM

Atarax causes short term Memory loss while you’re on it

by Anonymousreply 52December 5, 2021 3:21 PM

Scabies can cause major itching at night. Also gluten sensitivity can cause this.

by Anonymousreply 53December 5, 2021 3:33 PM

Scabies do not go away by themselves. Generations of skin eaters have been born and have died on your body. Perhaps they had fads as well.

by Anonymousreply 54December 5, 2021 5:27 PM

R4. - Every night for weeks my nasal passages swell up and I have to breathe through my 👄. I’ve used the nasal strips but often times they don’t help.

by Anonymousreply 55December 5, 2021 5:33 PM

Take an allergy pill

by Anonymousreply 56December 5, 2021 6:13 PM

OP, Claritin has never caused drowsiness for me.

by Anonymousreply 57December 5, 2021 7:01 PM

Claritin is a saviour. Back in the old days I'd scratch my shins until I drew blood.

by Anonymousreply 58December 5, 2021 8:04 PM

I’m telling you, try taking an antihistamine with a Pepcid.

It works.

by Anonymousreply 59December 5, 2021 8:11 PM

Do you maybe just have allergies op? If you’re allergic to something that grows outside or a pet you may itch. During the day you may just be too busy and focused on other stuff to notice.

by Anonymousreply 60December 5, 2021 8:13 PM

[quote] was suffering with the same nighttime itchy skin dilemma. I began washing my sheets more frequently and tried several anti-itch creams. Nothing seemed to do much good - until I began washing with a rough loofah. It seemed counter-intuitive as a night itch remedy, but it felt so good! I didn’t think much of it until I went to bed that night and noticed that my maddening itch problem was drastically reduced.

Interesting you say this, as I have found a bit of temporary relief from coffee-grounds scrub in the bath/shower. Pity the effect doesn't last long.

Still itch like mad day and night. And I'm one of those assiduous avoiders of most chemical soaps and liquids and cleaners, except dish soap for the sink and a spritz of antibac when self-injecting. My diet while not strictly banning anything is moderate to low in inflammatory foods. Anti-histamines don't help a lot, either--for me those work better as sleep aids (and my sleep cycle is knocked all to hell, but that's another story).

Someone once suggested to me it could be a Mast Cell problem, which seems like a huge complex immune issue that I don't have the mental energy to investigate.

by Anonymousreply 61August 12, 2022 2:47 PM

Op is a fraud

by Anonymousreply 62August 12, 2022 3:05 PM

Have pinworms been mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 63August 12, 2022 3:08 PM

One of the statin drugs gave me itching. I switched to a different statin and it went away.

I used CeraVe for Itchy Skin with lidocaine in it. Helped.

by Anonymousreply 64August 12, 2022 3:11 PM

R55, with swollen sinuses trying to sleep. Try the 2nd generation of nasal sprays. These are supposedly non-addicting and now they've been around long enough to have generic versions. Nasonex is one brand. I was worried I'd have to use every night but strangely, one dose lasts a month or more. I found Claritin pills to be less effective.

by Anonymousreply 65August 12, 2022 3:18 PM

Y'all, my cooter itches. Seriously!

by Anonymousreply 66August 12, 2022 3:19 PM

Yes, my hands get itchy at night. It’s driving me crazy. It’s a relatively new thing and I don’t know how to fix it either. Cold water helps.

by Anonymousreply 67August 12, 2022 3:23 PM

I had the itchies at night for a while. It was very annoying....just as I'm about to go into a nice, deep sleep, an intense itch had to be scratched. Then another itch, somewhere else would happen. It drove me crazy. Mostly it was my back, so I kept a back scratcher by me. I use fragrant free laundry detergents, Vanicream scent-free/sensitive soap and Vanicream body cream. I'm also prone to eczema. Even with that, the itchiness continued. Lately, it seems to have subsided.

by Anonymousreply 68August 12, 2022 3:53 PM

Get this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 12, 2022 3:56 PM

You should chew on a Nexgard every month. It’ll keep the fleas off of you.

by Anonymousreply 70August 12, 2022 8:16 PM

Cut down or eliminate histamine producing foods. Take an OTC anti histamine.

Also avoid these histamine producing ingredients: nitrites, sulfites, glutamates, benzoate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 12, 2022 8:29 PM

My grandma told me her asshole itched every night shortly after she went to bed for decades

by Anonymousreply 72August 13, 2022 12:34 AM

Did she have to scratch him, R72?

by Anonymousreply 73August 13, 2022 4:25 PM

Ask DL’s resident Slather Queen.

No doubt this person will know some slatheration to coat your body with. Whether or not it is efficacious will be TBD.

by Anonymousreply 74August 13, 2022 4:28 PM

Use Kiehl’s Crème de Corps on your limbs.

by Anonymousreply 75August 13, 2022 4:48 PM

Maybe try CBD? I've been meaning to try it myself for insomnia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 13, 2022 4:54 PM

My credibility comes from having the same problem and figuring out a solution. If antihistamine cures it even temporarily I would suspect an immune system issue. Your immune system is responding to either something or nothing. If it is something you can maybe isolate what it is.That will be the best solution if it is identifiable. If it is nothing it is the function of the system itself. I had the same problem and going to sleep was a horrible time because their is nothing to distract the mind from the itching. First I would speak with a dermatologist. They will do tests on your skin cells and see if their is something obviously causing it. If they find something to justify a prescription they will likely then prescribe you creams with hormones to change cell reactivity.. I also found taking advil or tylenol and a cool shower before bed followed by a high quality salve with as few ingredients beyond beeswax and olive oil as possible really worked well. The prescribed creams became unnecessary 99 percent of the time after i figured out the shower and salve and Advil method. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 77August 13, 2022 5:11 PM

I do like the CeraVe Itch Relief cream... it's not lidocaine, it's promoxazine or something like that. But a local anaesthetic. It takes a few minutes to work and then I usually fall asleep without realizing that it worked - but I think it did since prior to applying I couldn't sleep. Also maybe moisturize with CeraVe regular after showering at night.

If the antihistamines are helping then it could very well be an allergic reaction in which case you have some investigation to do.

by Anonymousreply 78August 13, 2022 8:30 PM

I used to have a friend who scratched constantly like she fucking had fleas or something. It was very disturbing and it eventually caused me to part ways with her because it was unnerving to watch. Later it dawned on me she was probably shooting up or smoking crack as it can cause addicts to scratch themselves silly.

by Anonymousreply 79August 13, 2022 9:04 PM

Shower with apple cider vinegar and echinacea

by Anonymousreply 80August 14, 2022 2:25 PM

R79 let's not get into it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 14, 2022 3:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!