Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's Stockard Channing's best film performance?

In which film do you think Will Smith's object of lust was strongest?

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2021 8:54 PM

I always liked her in The West Wing.

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2021 6:48 PM

She only has one Oscar nomination lol

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2021 6:59 PM

How dare you OP. There is only one choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 7:10 PM

Six Degrees of Separation is the obvious choice, but I'll put in a good word for her small role in Bright Young Things, where she gets to play a character with the name Mrs. Melrose Ape.

It's an adaption of an Evelyn Waugh story directed by Stephen Fry, and really should be much better remembered than it is.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2021 7:11 PM

I do remember towards the end of "The Fortune" she had one really hilarious scene where she gets out of like a car crash or some abandoned car and is walking around like she doesn't know where the hell she is. But she and her reactions were really funny. I don't remember much else about that film, saw it eons ago.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2021 7:26 PM

R3 beat me to it!

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2021 7:26 PM

I guess Grease is the obvious answer, but she was also memorable in Six Degrees. She knows her way around a monologue.

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2021 7:31 PM

It hasn't happened yet. It will be her "Elizabeth Taylor-Larry Fortensky Rehab Romance" project, when it is eventually made. The role she was born for!

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2021 8:00 PM

Six Degrees is one of my favorite movies and the ending where she simply walks down a street is one of my favorite movie moments. Her West Wing performances are highlights for me to, especially the polar winter episode where Jed collapses on the plane to China.

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2021 8:13 PM

I watched The Fortune recently and was dumbfounded. It's so tone deaf and almost aggressively unfunny. I think Mike Nichols saw The Sting and thought, "I can make a better film." Alas, he didn't. Channing's role was meant for Bette Midler and her manic energy might have invigorated the project, but her manager/lover wanted her to headline her own project for her film debut. Channing is just OK in this. Beatty and Nicholson mug like crazy.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2021 8:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!