Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Seth Rogen: privilege accusations over tweet about car breaks in LA

Seth Rogen’s defence of Los Angeles as ‘lovely’ after a YouTube star branded it ‘a sh*thole’ following car break-ins has generated backlash as social media users branded the actor ‘privileged’.

Content creator Casey Neistat took to Twitter to reveal his frustration over having his vehicles broken into in LA, writing: ‘So our cars got robbed this morning because Los Angeles is a crime riddled 3rd world sh*thole of a city but tremendous appreciation and gratitude to the hardworking officers at the @LAPDWestLA who not only arrested the mother**ker but they got all of our stolen goods back [sic].’

Actor Seth, however, replied to Casey’s tweet to tell him he was ‘nuts’ to be negative about their shared hometown.

‘Dude I’ve lived here for over 20 years,’ he wrote. ‘You’re nuts haha. It’s lovely here. Don’t leave anything valuable in it. It’s called living in a big city.’

The Lion King star’s response then riled up some fans, who labelled him ‘privileged’ and ‘out of touch’.

‘Imagine being so rich and privileged you can afford not to be worried if your car gets broken into,’ commented one person, while another tweeted: ‘Must be nice to have this kind of privilege.’

‘Ah, yes, the millionaire is not bothered, so the rest of us don’t bother as well. Check your bubble, Seth,’ was another response.

As Casey and Seth engaged in a little back and forth, the 39-year-old actor revealed he’d had his car broken into ’15 or so times’ over the years, but he ‘never really felt violated’.

Revealing the reason for this was that he ‘lived in West Hollywood for 20 years and parked on the street’, Seth added: ‘Also it sucks your sh*t was stolen but LA is not some sh*thole city. As far as big cities go it has a lot going for it.’

Others praised the actor for his defence of LA, with one commenting: ‘Well done. That guy can feel however he does—but it’s how he expresses it that p*sses me off.

‘Say you feel violated. Don’t equate that to a city where 10mil ppl live & the ‘3rd world’ (a term wildly outdated itself) [sic].’

Acknowledging the heat his tweeting had given him, the Canadian performer then posted about his method for dealing with online criticism.

‘A lot of people come at me and talk sh*t on Twitter hoping I’ll engage with them publicly and give them attention, but instead I DM them and tell them to go f*ck themselves privately,’ he wrote.

‘It’s a lot more fun.’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 6, 2021 10:57 AM

It's called "common sense." He's correct. Don't leave shit it your car or at cover shit up, fucktard dumb cunts!

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2021 5:24 PM

Gosh, such a useless liar. He is a millionaire leftist.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2021 5:28 PM

He's privileged, but he has every right right to post anyway.

A millionaire has every right to be a leftist too, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 5:29 PM

Everyone has an opinion. Who cares what this dirt clod thinks?

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2021 5:41 PM

What if they are both right?

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2021 5:41 PM

I think it's just one of those things where celebrities should learn a lesson and stay off social. Pay somebody to be you but keep your own views out of it. Overexposure, controversy, the revelation of your own limited intellect... the pitfalls are many.

But if you're fading star I guess it's better than shooting a writer you're banging.

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2021 5:54 PM

he's a cutie

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2021 5:55 PM

Well its easier to be cavalier when you have Rogens money so it was a bit tone deaf. But he is correct that this is a part of big city life. Something tells me that the guy posting about his stolen stuff probably wasn't dirt poor either.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2021 5:58 PM

R8 According to Google, his net worth is $16 million

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2021 6:08 PM

Agreed that it reads as tone deaf. Having a car broken into or stolen and not having money to fix or replace it could cause someone to lose their livelihood. It’s weird how disconnected rich people are from how a major setback can be incredibly catastrophic to a poor person who ie already struggling to get by.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2021 6:09 PM

Wait... are you trying to say Casey Neistat is a poor person struggling to get by?

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2021 6:14 PM

No one should be expected to put up with crime just because they live in a big city, or anywhere. The problem isn't the size of the city it is the attitude of people like Rogen who are fine with it because they think it is just the price you have to pay to live in a city. Of course such crime rarely visits their doors.

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2021 6:21 PM

Just because I leave something in my car doesn’t mean you can take it!

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2021 6:48 PM

Why are you posting from a British rag, the Metro.UK?

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2021 6:55 PM

R5 that's not allowed 🚫

by Anonymousreply 15November 28, 2021 7:44 AM

R13 exactly it’s another way of victim shaming, like why did you let somebody spike your drink or rape you because you were wearing a tighter outfit than usual instead of blaming the criminals.

by Anonymousreply 16November 28, 2021 7:52 AM

Ffs, I dislike Seth Rogen, and dislike airing most personal gripes on social media, but there's always someone who has less than you and who had a shittier day than you, faced with obstacles of greater repercussion.

That's not stopping anyone else from complaining -- or from being holier than thou in being the guardian of the lesser privileged.

I can't have a 20 minute business meeting where someone doesn't make some little personal gripe apropros of something, but has to first give a little apology about "I know mine is a miniscule problem that fades against those of the oppressed and the downtrodden and those who don't share the good fortune of my upbringing and circumstances and..."

Holy hell, it's exhausting hearing all your little guilts and tattle-taling on privilege.

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2021 10:19 AM

This is your daily edition of "we hate woke people" and "all liberals are limousine liberals and hypocrites" that somebody feels compelled to post. It must be awful to have that kind of obsession.

by Anonymousreply 18November 28, 2021 1:17 PM

Well, LA IS a shit hole, so there is that.

by Anonymousreply 19November 28, 2021 1:26 PM

Hmm.. This went from people being mad at Casey for complaining about LA to even more people calling Seth Rogen privilege for being cavalier about break-ins

by Anonymousreply 20November 28, 2021 1:41 PM

LA is the Dumbest Suburb in the World.

by Anonymousreply 21November 28, 2021 1:59 PM

Seth is not that funny. Go back to Canada. It's cold, maybe your humor will "keep better."

by Anonymousreply 22November 28, 2021 2:04 PM

At least the police got the culprit and the poster got his stuff back. In NYC or SF, the police wouldn't even bother.

by Anonymousreply 23November 28, 2021 2:06 PM

I'm very weary of the "American cities are shitholes" brigade. It's not objectively not true and they seem to have some type of agenda. They either want to lay the groundwork for delegitimizing cities politically or they want heavy-handed policing to keep poor people away from less poor people. They are at best hysterical idiots. I doubt that twitter guy has ever set foot in a third world city in his life. We should be more aware of this type of bullshit narrative. I'm also weary of the "you're rich so you're not allowed to talk about anything" line. As many people pointed out, the twitter guy probably isn't poor.

by Anonymousreply 24November 28, 2021 2:21 PM

If you don't want shit stolen out of your car, then don't leave shit in your car. This has nothing to do with privilege.

by Anonymousreply 25November 28, 2021 2:26 PM

Slow news day or what? Who gives any fucks what super fug Seth Rogen thinks about anything.

by Anonymousreply 26November 28, 2021 2:29 PM

I remember reading a rant about my city being a shithole. I had just come from a block party and was sitting in the garden. For most people, life is completely normal.

by Anonymousreply 27November 28, 2021 5:40 PM

Its a little funny to see celebrities becoming the societal outcasts these days. They probably feel like rich carnies deep down inside.

by Anonymousreply 28November 28, 2021 5:53 PM

Nothing makes Angelenos madder than the scores of new residents who sold every possession to hitchhike from Flyoverstan to Los Angeles -- and then are full of complaints. Get lost, losers!

If LA is a sh*thole it is our sh*thole, move back to NowheresFuck, Alabama so that the cost of living in LA can stop skyrocketing.

by Anonymousreply 29November 28, 2021 6:29 PM

[quote] Well its easier to be cavalier when you have Rogens money so it was a bit tone deaf. But he is correct that this is a part of big city life. Something tells me that the guy posting about his stolen stuff probably wasn't dirt poor either.

Agree. LA is not a city to be "poor" but maybe you can be "poor" in New Mexico or Idaho or Mississippi. It's this uniquely American red-state privilege of thinking someone should drop a well-paying union job in your lap wherever you live. The world has moved on, move with it.

by Anonymousreply 30November 28, 2021 6:35 PM

R29, if you get tired of LA, you've got New York down already.

At least DL's version of it.

by Anonymousreply 31November 28, 2021 6:38 PM

No, Rogen is right r12. If you live in an urban area you know crime is going to be a possibility. You have to take some precautions. It sucks, but it's the reality.

That's why people who are terrified of crime live in the burbs rather than cities.

by Anonymousreply 32November 28, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote]That's why people who are terrified of crime live in the burbs rather than cities.

You're wrong about that.

Manhattan is full of people terrified of crime.

They guard themselves by living in high security doorman buildings.

Have drivers or services so they don't need to use public transportation.

Things that the average Joe can't afford.

by Anonymousreply 33November 28, 2021 6:59 PM

Has Seth Rogen ever had a correct take on anything? Everytime this idiot opens his mouth, it's cringe.

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2021 7:03 PM

Republicans like to bash cities like L.A. while ignoring poverty and meth addiction in rural areas

by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2021 7:05 PM

[quote] No, Rogen is right [R12]. If you live in an urban area you know crime is going to be a possibility. You have to take some precautions. It sucks, but it's the reality.

The outrage is because people like Rogen don't have to take precautions. They live in gated neighborhoods and have protection.

by Anonymousreply 36November 28, 2021 7:06 PM

R25 If you don't want to get raped, wear a burka, right?

by Anonymousreply 37November 28, 2021 7:06 PM

R25 its got everything to do with privilege. If you're living out of your car, as some do in LA, you have nowhere else to put your shit

Plus poor people cant afford cars with modern security measures either. Or if they can, they cant afford to fix the damage after a break in (that shit can get expensive)

As some of the responses said

[quote] ‘Imagine being so rich and privileged you can afford not to be worried if your car gets broken into,’ commented one person, while another tweeted: ‘Must be nice to have this kind of privilege.’

[quote] ‘Ah, yes, the millionaire is not bothered, so the rest of us don’t bother as well. Check your bubble, Seth,’ was another response.

Says it all

by Anonymousreply 38November 28, 2021 7:09 PM

I just read that there another looting took place near me. It occurred literally blocks away from me while I was having dinner. This was only weeks after I read about targeted home invasions occurring in upscale neighborhoods in the valley. It's only a matter of time before this becomes a regular occurrence if you allow crime to fester for too long.

by Anonymousreply 39November 28, 2021 7:09 PM

Fucking nonsensce on Twitter Do not leave shit in your car. Duh. Rogan is just a journyman actor, not worth $$$$$s.

by Anonymousreply 40November 28, 2021 7:13 PM

Not leaving valuables in plain sight is urban living 101 stuff r37.

by Anonymousreply 41November 28, 2021 7:18 PM

[Quote]If you're living out of your car, as some do in LA, you have nowhere else to put your shit

You are really, really reaching. Obviously this guy is not homeless and living out of his car. He parks his car on the street in a crowded urban area and left valuables in there that someone could break in steal (and almost certainly in plain sight or they wouldn't have known).

It sucks for him, I've had it happen to me. It's a mistake I made once and never did that again.

by Anonymousreply 42November 28, 2021 7:22 PM

This is the dumbest controversy ever. r25 is right-- it has nothing to do with privilege. Rich or poor, it's a pain in the ass to have things stolen from your car. Rich or poor, you should take basic precautions to keep your shit from getting stolen.

by Anonymousreply 43November 28, 2021 7:26 PM

The obnoxious default of shrieking "privileged!" at anyone disagreeing with you ho happens to be white gives you an automatic lifetime cancel in my book.

Cut that shit out, freaks!

by Anonymousreply 44November 28, 2021 7:40 PM

I was going to order dessert, but then I remembered there are poor people somewhere, so I didn't because privilege.

by Anonymousreply 45November 28, 2021 7:44 PM

Move to NYC, where you don't need a car.

by Anonymousreply 46November 28, 2021 7:48 PM

I live in a high-crime large city. People on NextDoor are constantly posting about package thiefs, and it gets on my nerves because I don't understand what they expect. They no a lot of homeless and mentally ill people roam the streets...they shouldn't be surprised a package laying out is at risk of being stolen.

That said, I think it's sad people can't order things to be delivered at home because packages get stolen.

by Anonymousreply 47November 28, 2021 7:54 PM

[quote] They no a lot of homeless and mentally ill people roam the streets...they shouldn't be surprised a package laying out is at risk of being stolen.

That is the problem, we all KNOW that. But, that doesn't mean it should just be a default that we all accept, that is the problem. We can have large cities without homeless and mentally ill people roaming the streets. But, that would be too difficult so our leaders tell us we just have to expect it.

by Anonymousreply 48November 28, 2021 8:01 PM

The US is slowly converting into Mad Max.

by Anonymousreply 49November 28, 2021 8:06 PM

[quote] I just read that there another looting took place near me. It occurred literally blocks away from me while I was having dinner.

OMG you poor thing!!! Your dinner must have been ruined - even though you didn’t know anything about it at the time. Do you think you’ll ever be able to go to dinner again or will the PTSD be too much to deal with? Literal blocks wow! Why do such terrible things always happen to you?!!! 🥺😢😭

by Anonymousreply 50November 28, 2021 8:10 PM

LA is a wonderful city, I LOVE LA!!!

by Anonymousreply 51November 28, 2021 8:10 PM

We all know that the "celebrities should just shut up" people are the same ones who lick Ted Nugent's asshole every time he threatens to rape Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 52November 28, 2021 8:12 PM

[quote]That is the problem, we all KNOW that. But, that doesn't mean it should just be a default that we all accept, that is the problem. We can have large cities without homeless and mentally ill people roaming the streets. But, that would be too difficult so our leaders tell us we just have to expect it.

R48 so right - and it can be done, as anybody that has been to Tokyo or any city in Japan can testify. Or Singapore. I'm sure others here can give more examples

It doesnt have to be like that. We dont have to expect it to be the default, and we shouldnt

by Anonymousreply 53November 28, 2021 8:28 PM

R38 Sweetie, if someone is living out of their car in LA, they aren't long for this world anyway. Someone stealing what little they have is the least of their worries. Perhaps, they'd be better off selling the clunker and buying a one way ticket somewhere less expensive. Life was never fair. Never will be fair. And it's going to get a whole lot worse for those that can't support themselves.

by Anonymousreply 54November 28, 2021 8:45 PM

[quote] And it's going to get a whole lot worse for those that can't support themselves.

Not to mention for those who cannot discern the difference between WHO and THAT.

by Anonymousreply 55November 28, 2021 8:53 PM

there is a guy living in his car one block from me. I thought the car was abandoned and reported it as such. It's parked in a 2 hour parking zone. It's been there for months. The law here in LA is that if a car hasn't moved in 72 hours on the street, it's considered abandoned and will be towed. But I guess because someone is living in it it's allowed? I know I once parked on that same street and went over the 2 hr limit and got a ticket. But you can apparently live there for free...LA is a shit hole now. A shit hole where someone can be living in their car across the street from apartments that rent for $4 grand a month.

by Anonymousreply 56November 28, 2021 9:18 PM

If you want to see a real shithole, go to Oklahoma City. You'll run back to LA and kiss the sidewalk.

by Anonymousreply 57November 28, 2021 9:26 PM

Well, calling Blue State metropolises”third-world shitholes” is a direct quote from Donald Trump and regular propaganda from right-wingers who hate people of color and Democrats.

So this is just a right-wing asshole slinging standard-issue propaganda and hate that has nothing to do with the truth, or how much of an impoverished, disease-ridden shithole the American South is.

by Anonymousreply 58November 28, 2021 9:46 PM

How the hell are cars being stolen? They have alarms, tracking features, the ability to disable remotely. Give me a goddam break. The youtuber must be driving a '77 Monte Carlo.

by Anonymousreply 59November 28, 2021 9:53 PM

Just move to a house with a garage, problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 60November 28, 2021 9:56 PM

Their car wasn't stolen, stuff was stolen out of his car r60.

by Anonymousreply 61November 28, 2021 9:57 PM

R59* I mean.

by Anonymousreply 62November 28, 2021 9:58 PM

City and local governments usually have large pieces of property that sit unused. As at least a temporary measure, how about create large parking lots where those living in their car can park, not on the streets, with regular police patrols to help with safety. Also, create enclosed campgrounds where the homeless can camp and not be harassed, instead of on the streets or in parks. And, then work on getting them housed. There are mainly two types of homeless, the ones who are just struggling financially, but are still working, those tend to be the ones in cars. And, then there are the chronically homeless many of whom suffer from addiction and/or mental health issues. The first group is easy, provide housing for them. The second is harder, but once the others have been helped it will be easier to deal with them. One thing we need to get away from is this idea they have to be sober before getting shelter. No the most important thing is to get them sheltered and off the streets, then we can focus on their other issues.

by Anonymousreply 63November 28, 2021 10:26 PM

R50 I didn’t say that it interrupted my dinner dumbass. I said if an act of violence that gets national press coverage happens in a place previously thought to be safe, then that’s a problem. Crime is not random, it’s endemic. But your response isn’t the stupidest in this thread unfortunately. It looks like the solution is to hope that the situation gets so bad, people will leave. But who else but Cali will want them? Clean your own fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 64November 28, 2021 10:36 PM

The Lion King star? He was the worst voice over in the new adaptation of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 65November 28, 2021 10:43 PM

Seth Rogen probably doesn't have to park his car on the street for long periods of time, e.g., overnight. At home, he's in a safe neighborhood, plus has a garage for his multiple vehicles.

If I had my car broken into more than 10X, I would feel violated.

He's right about not leaving valuables in your car, though. That's common sense.

by Anonymousreply 66November 28, 2021 10:47 PM

He starred in Guilt Trip which wasn't as bad as they said. I've seen far worse big hits.

by Anonymousreply 67November 28, 2021 10:54 PM

Crime is not endemic, you dumb cunt. Crime is much lower than it was when I was a kid and even lower than during the height of the epidemic. You're just a dumb sheep who believes local news with its terror porn.

by Anonymousreply 68November 28, 2021 11:36 PM

[quote] as anybody that has been to Tokyo or any city in Japan can testify. Or Singapore. I'm sure others here can give more examples

Tokyo and Singapore don't have any.......well, never mind.

by Anonymousreply 69November 29, 2021 12:18 AM

Japan does have homeless people. I've been to this area, San'ya, that has a high concentration of homeless people. I've also seen homeless people in cardboard boxes (in Tokyo). It's not like in the US, though. I don't remember anyone ever asking me for money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 29, 2021 12:46 AM

R68 It is clear that violent crime is increasing in 2020 murder increased by 30%, the largest one year increase on record. Aggravated Assault rose 12%. Car theft was the only aspect of property theft to show an increase. So you are wrong that crime isn't increasing, especially during the pandemic. Violent crime most certainly increased. And, the one aspect of property crime that was being discussed, also increased.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 29, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote] Crime is much lower than it was when I was a kid and even lower than during the height of the epidemic

The whole point is that the crime epidemic isn't lower, it's just being tolerated just like the homeless crisis. The cities are overpopulated and the cities have just given up making our current crisis more unique than in decades past. Crime and homelessness leave a lot of destruction in their wake so the actual numbers matter. Homeless people left untreated for their mental illness and drug addiction wouldn't have been as much an issue in the past when we had enough resources and people had empathy, unlike people like Seth Rogen who just play nice guys in the movies, but are total assholes in real life.

by Anonymousreply 72November 29, 2021 1:00 AM

Violent crime did rise in 2020 r71. But it has already started trending slightly downwards from that high in 2021, so things aren't getting worse.

And even still, the crime wave of 2020 was literally a fraction compares to past decades where violent crime was truly out of control. You often hear these hyperbolic statements about crime, when crime is actually much better than it used to be. People always have rose colored glasses about the past.

by Anonymousreply 73November 29, 2021 2:01 AM

[quote] As at least a temporary measure, how about create large parking lots where those living in their car can park, not on the streets, with regular police patrols to help with safety.

In some article about the high cost of rentals or homelessness or something was a story about people living out of their cars pooling resources. They hired someone to patrol their area at night. IIRC, this included people in RVs that had to be towed to the area. I can't remember enough details to search for this online.

by Anonymousreply 74November 29, 2021 2:11 AM

[quote]And even still, the crime wave of 2020 was literally a fraction compares to past decades where violent crime was truly out of control.

I don't know,. I lived in Manhattan in the '70s and early '80s and crime was through the roof but I don't remember the randomness, the viciousness of what we're seeing today.

Violent crime was above 125th street. Bed Stuy. The Bronx. Not in mid-town Manhattan. At least as I recall.

There were parts of town you just did not go to. But the rest of the city felt safe.

by Anonymousreply 75November 29, 2021 2:23 AM

R75 Just like property crime is down, but I don't ever remember gangs of looters smash and grabbing before, like they are right now. Crime seems to be changing to become more like video games rather than real life.

by Anonymousreply 76November 29, 2021 2:31 AM

[quote] But it has already started trending slightly downwards from that high in 2021, so things aren't getting worse.

As is always the case with stats, they can be very misleading. Property and theft crimes aren't prosecuted, or aren't prosecuted to the full extent of the law. You also have to factor in population size. You would expect there to be a decrease per capita, but when it comes to violent crime, the impact on a community would be the same, if not greater, than in decades prior. You could see it with your own ways simply walking down the street where communities and buildings fall into permanent disrepair because the city has simply turns a blind eye.

You also have to factor in incarceration rate. The incarceration rate doesn't seem to correlate with the crime statistics. How come? We can hypothesize but we'll never get the full picture as so many crimes still go unreported and the media bias plays a role as well. A data scientists certainly will have their work cut out for them.

Human pathology doesn't change. We just found new ways to mask it over the years. That is unless we use it to push a political agenda.

by Anonymousreply 77November 29, 2021 2:33 AM

This sparked my interest further so I did some more research. So called experts concluded that rates of incarceration do not lead to decreased crime, however, given that we know that the data on crime statistics that is publicly available is unreliable, we can fairly conclude that this is a false hypothesis. Even expert data scientists admit that there is at least some positive correlation so it's fair to conclude that all the data is unreliable.

by Anonymousreply 78November 29, 2021 2:51 AM

R77 / R78 girl….these comments are…..a mess!

by Anonymousreply 79November 29, 2021 2:58 AM

This is a let them eat cake post. He should have opted out of this one. Someone who probably lives in a gated community and has full time security probably shouldn’t be pretending he understands and telling people to just roll with it.

by Anonymousreply 80November 29, 2021 3:17 AM

R80 The fact that 41% agree with him is very disturbing. Crime has really become an invisible problem as long as it's happening to someone else apparently. This problem will most likely get much worse before it ever gets better.

by Anonymousreply 81November 29, 2021 3:22 AM

R64 well then why bring up your fucking dinner if it has nothing to do with anything. The rest of your comment is such a mess (again) that it’s not worth even going through. Read before posting babe.

by Anonymousreply 82November 29, 2021 8:52 AM

R79 It's not that hard to understand. The problem with using stats as a predictive measurement of crime is that crime is not a relative statistic. A greater number of crimes have a greater negative impact on communities. You would also expect higher rates of incarceration to have a direct correlation with the rate of crime. Since there is no correlation, one can assume that many crimes remain unreported. Thus, we are not safer now than we were decades ago. The only thing that's changed is how we punish crime.

by Anonymousreply 83November 29, 2021 9:58 AM

Jesus Christ of course there have been smash-and-grab robberies in the past. It's just that the whole fucking country didn't wet their pants over a handbag store in suburban SFO getting knocked over.

And if it's true that property crimes "don't get prosecuted" (which is probably bullshit but let's go with it), why is that? Is Chesa Boudin the dictator of American law enforcement? Or maybe are local governments overwhelmed by the loss of funding that came from the epidemic and simply don't have the money they used to? What are state governments doing to plug that gap? In New York, where I live, there is money going to localities to support law enforcement. Is there the same action in TX and FL and WI? Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 84November 29, 2021 10:43 AM

R56 How would one know if car was parked for 72 hours without moving? You can go somewhere and later park it in the same spot. Or do you constantly monitor the car for three days straight?

by Anonymousreply 85November 29, 2021 11:04 AM

[quote]How would one know if car was parked for 72 hours without moving?

In DC, I remember meter maids marking tires with chalk. I imagine there's some new computerized way of doing it now. Also, when I lived there (Dupont Circle), people knew enough not to leave stuff in the back of their cars. And during December, you were warned not to leave purchases and other valuables in your trunk, lest they be made off with by the less-than-honest.

by Anonymousreply 86November 29, 2021 12:09 PM

If cities enforced speeding, parking and other driving rules, the psychotic, self-pitying car owners of America would riot.

In Nassau County, NY, the county executive installed and expanded speed cameras all over. His logic was clear. Speeding is a crime and the county would make money from the fines and not need to boost property taxes so much. The residents were so incensed to be forced to follow the law that they voted him out.

by Anonymousreply 87November 29, 2021 12:31 PM

There are several reasons why we are living in a scarier time. Think of the potential harm a cyber crime or act of terrorism can have on a population, and then think of how much easier it is to organize and network with the internet. Now think of how much easier it is for criminals to fall through the cracks when you have a much larger, more depersonalized society where law enforcement is stretched thin. Now, think of the damage a single person can do with today's technological advances. A single hacker can disrupt massive supply chains. And finally, think of the role media plays to exploit tragedy no matter what scale for the purpose of terrorizing and controlling the population. It becomes quite chilling when you think about it.

by Anonymousreply 88November 29, 2021 3:51 PM

So, we have a robust surveillance state that can track every purchase you make and every interaction you have but criminals can still fall through the cracks?

How can a single hacker disrupt massive supply chains? What would they do? It's actually...hard to do that.

You Qanon people need to pick one paranoia and stick with it.

by Anonymousreply 89November 29, 2021 4:21 PM

[quote] How can a single hacker disrupt massive supply chains? What would they do? It's actually...hard to do that.

Have you forgotten the Colonial Pipeline hacking that screwed up the gasoline supply up and down the East coast?

by Anonymousreply 90November 29, 2021 6:48 PM

You mean the one where hackers shut down the billing software and Colonial Pipeline would rather let whole states go cold than lose money for a day?

Also, that wasn't the work of a *single hacker, dear. That was the work of a sophisticated group who took advantage of a very stupid corporation who cheaped out on cyber security.

by Anonymousreply 91November 29, 2021 8:20 PM

R91 If a network of hackers can do it a single one can do it as well. You just need one extremely great hacker instead of a team of just "good" ones.

Also, Colonial had to be able to bill their customers and keep such records or the government would have been all over them, because of taxes and regulations, state and federal, involved in the selling of gasoline. Also, the main reason they shutdown the pipeline was because they were afraid that if they didn't the hackers could get into other systems, such as safety software.

That is what the NSA needs to be focused on, the nation's cyber security. It should not be just the responsibility of the individual or business. Cyber attacks harm many different people and are an attack on this country. This time it was Colonial Pipeline, but other times it is a small hospital in the middle of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 92November 29, 2021 8:30 PM

Wait, so the Government should provide cyber security for private corporations? But they shouldn't pay taxes? Or be subject to environmental regulations?

And you have seen too many fucking movies, dear.

by Anonymousreply 93November 29, 2021 8:36 PM

R93 No people should still have to provide their own cyber security, but the government has a role to play in protecting us all and retaliating, especially concerning companies that are infrastructure, which a gas pipeline most certainly is. And, I never said they shouldn't pay taxes or be regulated.

And, lone wolf hackers are real.

PS take your "dear" and ram it us your ass, honey!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 29, 2021 8:42 PM

Fine, you miserable unfuckable shut in, go fuck yourself and your paper-thin ideas about HACKERS that came out of a movie in 1997.

by Anonymousreply 95November 29, 2021 8:44 PM

Our infrastructure isn't even large enough to support our growing population, which is why I stress that crime has a more negative impact on the modern day if and when criminals target our limited infrastructure.

by Anonymousreply 96November 29, 2021 8:48 PM

R95 I know what hackers can do because I used to work in the tech sector. The people I worked with were "white hat" hackers but they were still hackers. To act like hackers are not capable of causing real harm puts you in 1897, not 1997, and certainly not 2021.

by Anonymousreply 97November 29, 2021 8:49 PM

R83 I’m not sure how you generate your thoughts but they’re total nonsense:

[quote] You would also expect higher rates of incarceration to have a direct correlation with the rate of crime.

Not necessarily.

[quote] Since there is no correlation, one can assume that many crimes remain unreported.

No.

[quote] Thus, we are not safer now than we were decades ago.

No.

[quote] The only thing that's changed is how we punish crime.

Again, no.

None of your comments contain any of the reasons or implications that you use to generate your following thoughts or conclusions, I can’t imagine what the inside of your brain must tell you.

by Anonymousreply 98November 29, 2021 8:55 PM

A lot of theories have been put forward trying to explain what other effects besides high incarceration helped reduce crime. None of the theories have been conclusive.

by Anonymousreply 99November 29, 2021 9:01 PM

No other country on earth (not russia, not china) puts away its citizens at the same rate we do. Some are violent, some aren't.

Mostly what we lack are equitable education, widespread quality medical care and a baseline social trust.

Americans hate each other and are suspicious of absolutely everyone.

by Anonymousreply 100November 29, 2021 9:07 PM

I guess we're undergoing another social experiment in real time. So far, it's not going very well. One thing we can agree on is that non violent offenders shouldn't be jailed at the rate they are. However, it's also likely that not enough violent offenders aren't being incarcerated. I also believe that these violent offenders pose a bigger threat.

by Anonymousreply 101November 29, 2021 9:11 PM

Are being...

by Anonymousreply 102November 29, 2021 9:11 PM

I dunno. There are a lot of motherfuckers in jail right now.

by Anonymousreply 103November 29, 2021 9:31 PM

He's not even American -- he just lives here -- and he takes it upon himself to lecture us about crime and about LA. That irks me.

by Anonymousreply 104December 5, 2021 11:20 PM

Why do I think you'd be irked even if he weren't Canadian?

by Anonymousreply 105December 5, 2021 11:21 PM

Seth Rogen's father is American so he has always had American citizenship r104, not to mention he has lived in LA since the 90s.

That was a big reach.

by Anonymousreply 106December 5, 2021 11:26 PM

He didn't grow up here R106.

He's an entitled blob who should stay off Twitter if he can't take the heat.

by Anonymousreply 107December 5, 2021 11:57 PM

He probably has automatic Israeli citizenship too but do you think the Israelis would be interested if he suddenty popped up in their country to lecture them about how to do things and what to think? Somehow I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 108December 6, 2021 12:01 AM

Well maybe if he lived in Israel for over 20 years like has in America r108. Man, don't hurt yourself with all that stretching you are doing.

I don't care really if you don't like Rogen or what he said, but trying to pretend like he is some stranger to America is a dumb angle. He has lived here since Freaks and Geeks man.

by Anonymousreply 109December 6, 2021 12:53 AM

Cool! Anti-semitism! That was missing/

by Anonymousreply 110December 6, 2021 10:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!