Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I have a theory about mental illness and the pandemic

The pandemic has brought a lot of previously undiagnosed mental illness to the surface as evidenced by the Qtards. I know doctors had said that a lot of people became very anxious and freaked out by the solitude created by the shut down stay at home orders. My guess is these are all people who rely on others for validation and stimulation. Doubtless they were not taught to entertain themselves with books and solitary pursuits. They were probably never very adaptable to change either.

by Anonymousreply 64November 28, 2021 1:37 AM

Humans are generally very social . We need human interaction. Op sounds like a smug introvert loner .

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2021 5:05 PM

Sounds like OP touched a nerve, r1. It's not his fault you crave validation from others. It must suck to be you, you sorry excuse for a human being.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2021 5:12 PM

They're extroverts. They get joy out of getting under people's skin. All the books and non-social educational pursuits in the world, is not a replacement for that.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 5:30 PM

I loved the lock down. As children, the kids in my family were sent to our rooms for an hour a day to read, nap, play with our toys and learn to occupy ourselves. It was a valuable lesson.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2021 5:38 PM

The OP is the one who sounds mentally ill or with some social or behavioral disorder.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2021 5:40 PM

What an important discovery. You should write this up immediately and send it to the World Health Organization!

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2021 5:42 PM

Actually it sounds lie both. r1 and r5 are the screwed up, wastes-of-oxygen :)

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2021 5:43 PM

We get multiple threads a week by guys who have developed agoraphobia and germ related compulsions due to the pandemic. There was one a couple of days ago.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2021 5:43 PM

I have a theory, it could be bunnies!

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2021 5:43 PM

OP Q was around before the pandemic. It was in the process of growing.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2021 5:44 PM

Pretty sure WHO has discovered this too R6 considering how many studies show social media as detrimental and the types that are addicted.

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2021 5:44 PM

There were multiple things going on—

You had some extroverts, who get their energy and joy from being around other people. That’s not a bad thing (nor is being an introvert) but for them, lockdown was like a plant left without water, making them listless and depressed.

Then you had people who use social activities, partying, hooking up, etc to distract themselves from, and ignore, personal problems and life anxieties or to self-medicate conditions like anxiety. Left without their distractions they were like a baby without his pacifier. They had to look their anxieties and fears straight in the face. They weren’t equipped to do that—Covid didn’t magically make anyone self-actualized—so they were in a lot of psychological pain.

Then you had the people who base their identities around external objects and activities. The people who are always coming back from lavish trips or showing off their latest dinner at a Michelin restaurant. These people were extremely uncomfortable sitting at home without access to the things they used to define who they are in the world. These people in my life were the ones taking unnecessary risks or seeking to skip the vaccine line because they needed that dopamine hit or being “a VIP” anyway they could get it. These are the ones I have the least sympathy for.

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2021 5:46 PM

R11 Social media does retard social development but the solution isn't to retreat further into isolation, it's to interact with humans in real life.

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2021 5:46 PM

This thread demonstrates why I come to DL: for the holiday warmth.

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2021 5:47 PM

I've rather enjoyed the lovely solitude of this rather otherwise dreadful pandemic.

It's not like we have been huddling in tin sheds in our backyards waiting for the Luftwaffe to drop bombs on our heads.

Most people are totally connected and they can continue to bury their heads in their devices only during this time without being rude to people they were with.

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2021 5:50 PM

Interesting R12 and, yes, I completely agree. Good descriptio s of the various extroverts.

by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2021 5:51 PM

The only reason the introverts are fine with staying home is because of all the technological advances. If this were 1984 instead of 2021, things would be a lot different. It's clear that the wealthy would rather have a society that's eternally plugged in since they can take jet rides and stay in their mansions.

by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2021 5:56 PM

+the 2020 election. I know I went crazy. And I'm not back to normal yet. And yes, there is a normal for me. This fuckery ain't it.

by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2021 6:41 PM

I loved the lockdown. I miss it. I hate going out now into public and dealing with cunty fraus, assholes who don't follow rules of the road whether driving or walking, people just being miserable in general. Exhausting.

I miss the early days of the pandemic when you could go outside for a walk and not have to deal with people.

by Anonymousreply 19November 27, 2021 6:45 PM

Do any of you arguing that extroverts are somehow emotionally or intellectually stunted because they enjoy social stimulation realize that many introverts also enjoy social stimulation and going out and about for no other reason than they want to or feel like it? I am an introvert, have worked for myself and by myself for more than a decade, and do not live with anyone. I'm more than ok with being alone, but this situation has absolutely fucked me up. I hate it. I like other people. I like going out and socializing with all sorts of people. It does energize me. The difference is, the thought of having to be "on" all the time would drain me at some point, but I've come to realize that taking my ability to socialize in person is apparently far, far worse.

by Anonymousreply 20November 27, 2021 6:48 PM

Even as an introvert I find the lockdown hard at times. Even we need to get out from time to time - a movie, nice dinner and visiting family. I admit I'm better off than most. Many in family are extroverts and I see how hard it has been on them. I had to find myself limiting myself more because their stress fed into my life.

by Anonymousreply 21November 27, 2021 6:51 PM

I like a mix of both - the solitude and the occasional going out and meeting friends. But my employer, capitalism, society, in general, is pushing to go back to normal and I don't think we should. Many of us found things we liked during the pandemic (working from home, more time on our own, eating in) so I wish we could adapt some of those things as things go back more to what they were like before.

by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2021 6:55 PM

I think most of us go out to dinner and out with friends occasionally even if we enjoy our downtime and find most people tiresome, draining cunts.

by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2021 7:00 PM

Then figure out how to do that on your own, R22. If that's how you really want to live your life, figure out how to get there. I'm not being snide. I'm just sick of hearing how things should be across the board. No one is going to roll out a red carpet for the life you want. You have to work for it, and it includes compromises on your side to the realities of life. Capitalism isn't the problem. Looking at reality as it is and taking the steps towards something YOU want is the focus you should take, not blame on everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2021 7:01 PM

Yes, people are social and there are many extroverts. Going to parties, shows and enjoying a night is fine and it was normal people missed that. But I also feel American society seems too extreme on extroversion and it's not healthy nor truly social. Everyone must compare themselves to others and there's this compulsive need to spend on luxuries we don't need. Everyone expects everyone to smile, compliment them and stroke their ego like they are toddlers. I mean we've had generations of children who were taught "You Will Be The President One Day!" which creates this inflated sense of self-importance and neediness for validation even in adults. This infantilization and constant craving of material goods and feelings of superiority. The lockdown should have had people sit back and self-reflect, take time to get a hobby, read books, become less reliant on convenience and learn new things, develop some skills and become overall better human beings but it didn't last.

by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2021 7:15 PM

That sounds like a you problem, R25. Stop speaking in platitudes that you've created in your mind to work against, and deal with yourself.

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2021 7:23 PM

R25 but instead of doing that they started doing their own "research" and turned into cultists who deny science and reality.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2021 7:30 PM

Actually R26, R25 speaks the truth.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2021 7:31 PM

No, r28, r26 is an example, as I'm sure you are, an example of someone who live a lie. If it makes you uncomfortable, then do something about it. No one is obligated to live according to your mandate. You don't know the how or why anyone outside of yourself has made the decisions they've made. You don't know anything about those you are sneering at.

If you want to make a change in that type of life, do it yourself. Show others how you did it, but you won't. You get off on pointing your finger at others to else to give a weird sense of superiority. You don't have to do anything, just bitch about what others do and condemn them.

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2021 7:38 PM

OP, the Qtards go back to 2015.

by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2021 7:40 PM

What are you blathering about R29? You are blubbering about something completely off topic and missing what R26 and R28 are saying.

You also sound butthurt and personally offended.

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2021 7:45 PM

Don't know about that R30 but numerous reports say people who felt isolated and out of control during lockdown found Q online and became hooked and true believers in huge numbers during the pandemic. It induced some kind of mental health crisis.

by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2021 7:51 PM

The people I know of who are into Q are: shut-ins, on disability, or low education (and very touchy about that). If they weren't so destructive, I would feel sorry for them.

by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2021 7:53 PM

I think the majority are low education but there are more than a few who are educated and should know better.

by Anonymousreply 34November 27, 2021 8:10 PM

People fall into conspiracy theories because the people and institutions that they usually trust for their information are blatantly lying to them constantly.

by Anonymousreply 35November 27, 2021 8:11 PM

R35 Yeah. The mainstream media and federal government are not the best sources of unbiased information. People aren't logic or taught critical thinking in schools nor are people educated in media literacy. Being able to properly research is a skill that most people do not have. I can't see any of this being fixed without massive reforms everywhere and that will take generations for the positive effects to show.

by Anonymousreply 36November 27, 2021 8:34 PM

*taught logic

by Anonymousreply 37November 27, 2021 8:34 PM

Taught thought logic that aligns with something you've been taught? Have you ever learned how to think and act for yourself?

by Anonymousreply 38November 27, 2021 8:37 PM

It's ironic that that the chief purveyors of misinformation, who cloak their war against citizen journalists as a war on disinformation, are the primary cause of people getting entangled in conspiracy theories.

by Anonymousreply 39November 27, 2021 8:44 PM

The GOP relies on conspiracies and paranoia. They worked with televangelists too. Notice how Evangelism is really American nationalism with xenophobia and pro-capitalism sentiment rather than actual religion and spirituality? It's natural that people who were already Evangelicals would hop onto conspiracy theories like Q. All of it pleases that same part of the brain.

by Anonymousreply 40November 27, 2021 8:47 PM

R38...troll alert.

by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2021 8:52 PM

You are insane. Do you not realize how much of what you are saying is based in some bizarre paranoia? Do you realize how many "others" you are pointing at to blame? For what? Do you not understand what you are doing?

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2021 8:53 PM

I was referring to R40, and well now R41 in my post at R39

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2021 8:54 PM

We don't care R43. You're lost and a troll.

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2021 8:58 PM

[quote] Don't know about that [R30] but numerous reports say people who felt isolated and out of control during lockdown found Q online and became hooked and true believers in huge numbers during the pandemic.

Wrong. QAnon is what drove Trump into office. It’s what Roseanne and all the others got hooked onto. It’s Pizzagate shit. This all happened way before the pandemic and started on 4chan.

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2021 8:59 PM

[quote] I think the majority are low education but there are more than a few who are educated and should know better.

Honey, cults take in highly intelligent and successful people. Intelligent people are also religious. Emotional intelligence is the key here and is something that can’t be taught in a school. Americans are very unhappy people.

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2021 9:01 PM

Yes, R45, and as I said even more got sucked in during isolation lock down.

by Anonymousreply 47November 27, 2021 9:04 PM

R45 Trump isn't exactly an honest politician, but he knew how to use the media to his advantage while he was running for president. It would eventually backfire big time, but the media's hypocrisy became much more apparent as they kept ramping up their attacks on the administration.

by Anonymousreply 48November 27, 2021 9:04 PM

R46, you got that right. Religious zealots have always been nuts.

by Anonymousreply 49November 27, 2021 9:05 PM

Critical thinking and logic are taught. Just like social skills are taught. Children do not come out of the womb knowing this stuff. Parents, teachers, coaches and other mentors have that responsibility to educate and discipline children and teens, so they can grow into responsible citizens who have control over their emotions and impulses. The issue is too many parents are overburdened with work, schools have massively declined in quality, teachers are not given respect and the overall rise of income inequality makes it even more difficult. So many people grow up with a lack of education, guidance and discipline and thus susceptible to being exploited by religions, cults and government propaganda. We all know the damage that has caused in the past with wars and genocide which usually start over ignorance and fear. That's why the GOP is a threat, they are pandering to base emotions like fear. That's how the Nazi party rose. If more people were educated to use logic and reason, they would not be a victim to extreme ideology.

by Anonymousreply 50November 27, 2021 9:05 PM

R50 So the liberal media doesn't stoke fear? Are you living in a cave?

by Anonymousreply 51November 27, 2021 9:07 PM

Sweeping generalizations. Many of us didn't hole-up in our hi-rise condos with the windows taped shut. We had to go out every day to work, shop, do errands.

by Anonymousreply 52November 27, 2021 9:09 PM

R51 No such thing as "liberal media." They are all about making money and fear-mongering does that. Still am not playing "both sides" card. Fox News is completely irredeemable. CNN and WaPost both piss me off at times but still they maintain some integrity. They exaggerate. Fox just lies. Too different things.

by Anonymousreply 53November 27, 2021 9:12 PM

Yes R52, but the fact is many stayed locked in their homes surfing the net and chasing the rabbit down the hole.

by Anonymousreply 54November 27, 2021 9:16 PM

"Too different things."

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 55November 27, 2021 9:25 PM

We used lockdown to learn a few new skills. My husband has always been good at DIY but he’s excellent now after learning more thru YouTube. My gardening and cooking has improved with extra tips and tricks learnt on YouTube as well.

by Anonymousreply 56November 27, 2021 9:28 PM

R56, and that's the difference between some of us and the ones who lost their minds.

by Anonymousreply 57November 27, 2021 9:41 PM

Fear, hate and division have been used in every way conceivable, a big part in lies, by those wishing to destroy our democracy. With the pandemic and political upheaval, they have affected practically all of us in one way or another. Add to that the many changes we have been faced in the last two years. We are all different. We have all been affected together in millions of ways, some small, some large and life-changing. Even though some of us may not be able to understand some of the changes mentioned in this thread, it has been eye-opening, and real to those experiencing changes. We will never return to where we were. Most will be able to adapt.

by Anonymousreply 58November 27, 2021 9:45 PM

Or the people who already had those skills for a very long time, and have been applying them, and are now being called every name in the book. So yeah, that's been fun.

by Anonymousreply 59November 27, 2021 9:45 PM

The pandemic just intensified people's narcissism.

Mentally-ill identified narcissists now have one more attention-getting tool (pandemic sympathy) to add to their arsenal.

by Anonymousreply 60November 27, 2021 10:16 PM

I knew that Trump was an asshole back when Hillary Clinton was going to his wedding and calling him a "friend," and I knew that Republicans are generally awful people long before she even ran for office.

Those weren't big revelations.

by Anonymousreply 61November 27, 2021 10:48 PM

Oops. Meant to post my comment in the Hillary Clinton thread.

by Anonymousreply 62November 27, 2021 10:54 PM

Fascinating what only a few years make. The video is titled Trump's war on media, but I could have sworn the "This is Dangerous to our Democracy" meme was escalated by Democrats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 28, 2021 1:12 AM

It's facilitated my natural Agoraphobia and made me happier.

I can easily switch into sociable mode if I have to, but can't say that I've hated the past 20 months.

by Anonymousreply 64November 28, 2021 1:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!