Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is your favorite Christmas song?

Mine is the 'Little Drummer Boy' version by Bing and David. I never get tired of listening it, especially the lyrics sung by David.

Peace on Earth can it be?

Years from now, perhaps we'll see?

See the day of glory

See the day, when men of good will

Live in peace, live in peace again

Peace on Earth

Can it be

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269December 25, 2022 11:55 PM

[quote]Mine is the 'Little Drummer Boy'

I would rather have a power drill through my eardrums than hear that repetitive, annoying shit ever again.

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2021 2:51 PM

OP, I love the Little Drummer Boy as well. Bob Seeger's rendition is pretty awesome. Also, I like "O, Holy Night". Apart from those, I detest secular Christmas songs.

Oddly enough, for someone who is not religious or even Christian, I do like Christmas hymns.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2021 2:57 PM

Obviously O Holy Night, the only Christmas carol that bids you 'fall on your knees.'

Obviously started life in the Catholic church.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 2:58 PM

R3 God will get you for that, Walter! LOL

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2021 2:59 PM

My favourite is O Little Town of Bethlehem as I find the words quite moving....

The hopes and fears of all the years / Are met in thee tonight.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2021 2:59 PM

Nothing beats this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2021 3:07 PM

My favorite non-hymn Christmas song is Jethro Tull's well, [italic]Christmas Song."[/italic]

Once in Royal David's City stood a lonely cattle shed, Where a mother held her baby.

You'd do well to remember the things He later said. When you're stuffing yourselves at the Christmas parties,

You'll just laugh when I tell you to take a running jump. You're missing the point I'm sure does not need making That Christmas spirit is not what you drink.

So how can you laugh when your own mother's hungry, And how can you smile when the reasons for smiling are wrong?

And if I just messed up your thoughtless pleasures, Remember, if you wish, this is just a Christmas song.

(Hey! Santa! Pass us that bottle, will you?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2021 3:09 PM

Little drummer boy and hark the herald angels sing

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2021 3:09 PM

At 2:30, the beautiful " Hymne des Fraternises" from the film " Joyeux Noel," about the WW1 cease fire. " I'm Dreaming of Home." For anyone who is away from home over Christmas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2021 3:15 PM

Another vote for Merry Little Christmas, it's a brilliant song and so satisfying to sing, although tricky.

Fun Fact: the original lyrics were deemed too depressing by Judy:

Some of the original lyrics penned by Martin were rejected before filming began.[9][10] When presented with the original draft lyric, Garland, her co-star Tom Drake and director Vincente Minnelli criticized the song as depressing, and asked Martin to change the lyrics. Though he initially resisted, Martin made several changes to make the song more upbeat. For example, the lines "It may be your last / Next year we may all be living in the past" became "Let your heart be light / Next year all our troubles will be out of sight". Garland's version of the song, which was also released as a single by Decca Records, became popular among United States troops serving in World War II; her performance at the Hollywood Canteen brought many soldiers to tears.[11]

In 1957, Frank Sinatra asked Martin to revise the line "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow." He told Martin, "The name of my album is A Jolly Christmas. Do you think you could jolly up that line for me?"[10] Martin's new line was "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough." Martin made several other alterations, changing from the future tense to the present, so that the song's focus is a celebration of present happiness, rather than anticipation of a better future.[12]

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2021 3:18 PM

At the risk of exposing my deep seated Scrooge, there are only two Christmas songs I like: "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland and Nat King Cole's "The Christmas Song". I can stand Elvis' "Blue Christmas" simply because of the strange and enchanting sound of the background vocals.

There are several I despise, most notably McCartney's "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" and that lonesome and blue sounding song from "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

At work, I have been hearing Streisand belting out "My Favorite Things". If I didn't already despise her singing, that song would have done it by itself.

Bah, humbug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2021 3:18 PM

One Little Christmas Tree by Stevie Wonder. I'm also a sucker for Faith Hill's Where Are You Christmas, even those it's a very cheesy song.

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2021 3:20 PM

Why Mariah Carey All I Want For Christmas Is You of course! It's the bestest song there is!

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2021 3:20 PM

R1, you've obviously never heard Gene Autry's rendition of "Here comes Santa Claus". Put that on a loop and by the third time through I'd confess to flying an airplane into the World Trade Center, being the lone gunman on the grassy knoll as well as at Ford's Theater, and the guy who convinced Hitler's mother to not have an abortion... anything to make it stop.

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2021 3:21 PM

They are all abhorrent!! Every single one. If I had to choose the most tolerable, it’s Christmas wrapping.

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2021 3:22 PM

My favorites are "It's beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" because my grandmother loved it and sang it to me often, and the Eagles' "Please Come Home for Christmas".

by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2021 3:25 PM

I couldn't sing Christmas songs growing up so we sang this:

I have a little dreidel, I made it out of clay And when it's dry and ready, with dreidel I shall play. Oh, Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel, I made you out of clay Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel, with Dreidel I shall play.

Here's a little dreidel That's small and made of clay But i'm not gonna play with it 'Cos dreidel's fuckin' gay.

by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2021 3:35 PM

That was beautiful, OP. I cried.

by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2021 3:51 PM

for the edgy amongst us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 27, 2021 4:01 PM

Happy XMas (War is Over). I like the contrast of the children’s choir and the message of peace. Not a Christmas song about gifts or mistletoe or kissing Santa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 27, 2021 4:25 PM

Sinead and Peter Gabriel... Sinead says she was his "side pussy."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 27, 2021 4:29 PM

I judge people based on their favorite Christmas song.

In OPs case, I judge him to be a moron.

by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2021 4:44 PM

?^

by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2021 4:47 PM

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2021 4:56 PM

Actually anything on this album is great

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2021 5:00 PM

I like quite a few. Carol of the Bells (especially sung by a choir) is my all time favorite. But I also like What Child Is This?, O Come All Ye Faithful, O Holy Night, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas?, and I'll Be Home For Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2021 5:05 PM

Miss Eartha owns this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2021 5:22 PM

O Holly night by Celine Dion.

Other Spanish songs that remind me of xmast past.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2021 5:25 PM

U2 - Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2021 5:29 PM

Boney M - Mary's Boy Child. I threw a Christmas party one year and this song came on later in the evening when everyone was drunk. The whole place was up and dancing. They asked me to put it on repeat. It must have played 4 or 5 times. Many of them were unfamiliar with the song I guess because I remember several asking me who sang it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2021 5:34 PM

I was a Seventies child. This sums it up perfectly for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2021 5:44 PM

Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2021 5:48 PM

The gold standard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2021 5:59 PM

The Pogues - Fairytale Of New York

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 27, 2021 6:17 PM

All holidays, no matter the stated theme, are, to me, about one thing-the relentlessness of passing time which makes them poignant, melancholy, sad and fun,too.

I’ll quit beating around the bush- I’m with r6. Garland’s version of HYAMC is my favorite because it’s all that holidays are to me. Obviously, I prefer “Until then, we’ll have to muddle through somehow”.

by Anonymousreply 35November 27, 2021 6:19 PM

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Christmas Canon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 27, 2021 6:23 PM

As sung by Miss Karen. 🎄 ❄️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 27, 2021 6:23 PM

A lot of songs we thing of as Christmas songs have nothing to do with Christmas. For example:

Jingle Bells

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

My Favorite Things

Let It Snow

Frosty the Snowman

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Sleigh Ride

by Anonymousreply 38November 27, 2021 6:24 PM

thing=think!

by Anonymousreply 39November 27, 2021 6:24 PM

Mamacita, ¿Dónde Está Santa Claus?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 27, 2021 6:26 PM

Sweet Secret Peace - Neil Finn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2021 6:26 PM

For me, the Christmas season doesn't start until I hear The Waitresses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2021 6:31 PM

I really enjoyed that, R19!

[quote] "All holidays, no matter the stated theme, are, to me, about one thing-the relentlessness of passing time which makes them poignant, melancholy, sad and fun,too."

Indeed, R35. Which is why I was thrilled to see Joni's powerful 2000 version of "Both Sides Now" (which I already loved) included in "Love, Actually". I don't think I've ever had a Christmas that wasn't at least somewhat melancholy. But I'm a melancholy person, anyway. This has been on my holiday playlist since 2003.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2021 6:47 PM

Santa Stay Home

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2021 6:50 PM

12 pains of Christmas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2021 6:51 PM

I'll add George Winston's arrangement of "The Holly and the Ivy" (and everything else from his album "December", which I always start playing the day after Thanksgiving).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2021 6:54 PM

Yup, r43 and r46, those more than do. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 47November 27, 2021 7:02 PM

'Moonlight in Vermont'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 27, 2021 7:05 PM

Judy fucks up the lyrics a couple of times, most notably at the 3:10 mark, but singing The Christmas Song with Mel Torme on her show is iconic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 27, 2021 8:45 PM

I like the ancient sound of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."

by Anonymousreply 50November 27, 2021 9:09 PM

“Merry Christmas Baby”. Etta James

BTW what makes “My Favorite Things” a Christmas song. I’ve never understood the connection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 27, 2021 9:23 PM

Amy Grant’s version of “Most Wonderful Time of the Year”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 27, 2021 9:44 PM

My favorite is "Oh, Holy Night" followed by "Do You Hear What I Hear?" (for some reason I loved Bobby Vinton's version)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 27, 2021 9:46 PM

A West Virginian performing Jingle Bell Rock

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 27, 2021 9:51 PM

Where are all the playlist trolls who should be making a 'DL Holiday Album'?

by Anonymousreply 55November 27, 2021 10:26 PM

I can't just pick one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 27, 2021 10:58 PM

This isn't an actual Christmas song, but it is a seasonal song I love (but only when sung by Darlene Love):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 27, 2021 11:32 PM

In The Bleak Midwinter by Sheila Walsh

by Anonymousreply 58November 28, 2021 12:03 AM

Although not truly a Christmas song, My Favorite Things, as sung by The Supremes, is my Christmas favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 28, 2021 12:25 AM

It's a tie between Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle and The Christmas Waltz. I like Frank Sinatra's version best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 28, 2021 12:27 AM

Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride IS Christmas to me. When I learned in middle school he lived in my small town? Permanently cemented favored status.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 28, 2021 12:36 AM

Carol of the Bells.

I also really like O Holy Night, but it has to be sung properly. It's all about how the singer hits the "fall on your knees" part.

by Anonymousreply 62November 28, 2021 12:39 AM

Handel 's "For Unto Us a Child Is Born" - Stephen Cleobury conducting the Choir of King's College, Cambridge, and Brandenburg Consort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 28, 2021 12:41 AM

Anyone ever hear Nancy Wilson's version of "The Christmas Waltz"? I never particularly liked the song until I heard Nancy's version... it's definitive.

Also, it's not Christmas until Karen sings "Merry Christmas, Darling".

by Anonymousreply 64November 28, 2021 12:44 AM

Recent: Last Christmas (George Michael)

Modern: Merry LIttle Christmas (Karen Carpenter tied with Rosemary Clooney when guest-starring on ER)

Traditional: Minuit chrétien (Ginette Reno), later became O Holy Night and O Night Divine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 28, 2021 12:46 AM

David Archuleta's "Oh, Holy Night" is the best version (or best live version) I've ever heard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 28, 2021 12:48 AM

Linda Eder takes it up a notch with this "Do You Hear What I Hear" classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 28, 2021 12:50 AM

I guess I'm in the minority but I can't stand Merry Christmas, Darling. Such a bore.

by Anonymousreply 68November 28, 2021 12:56 AM

Do You Hear What I Hear is my favorite Christmas song. I’m amazed no one mentioned it before now.

by Anonymousreply 69November 28, 2021 12:56 AM

I Saw Mommy Fucking Santa Claus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 28, 2021 1:15 AM

It would have to be something from the Dusty Towne Sexy Holiday Special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 28, 2021 1:16 AM

My favorites are Silent Night and O Holy Night, for the Jesus. I don't have a favorite "Silent Night," but Aaron Neville does my favorite "O Holy Night."

I also love the Phil Spector Christmas Gift for You album, especially the Ronettes' "Frawsty the Snowman" and the Crystals' "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer".

And the Roches' Christmas album, on which they sing "Adeste Fideles."

I hate "River," no matter who performs it. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," "I'll Be Home for Christmas," and "Carol of the Bells" make me want to be a Christmas suicide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 28, 2021 1:17 AM

"I'll Be Home for Christmas."

Whenever he hears it, my almost-94-year-old Dad to this day still tears up and gets a faraway look in his eyes. Says the song transports him back to the various way stations during WW2 and Korea where during the Christmas season all his fellow GIs had that very look in their eyes, wondering what their loved ones back home were doing THAT minute as the song played across the miles. Says that black, white, brown, yellow--didn't matter in those minutes; the pain and loss were too real. And then he gazes off again, softly singing the words "If only in my dreams."

Ach! My heart!

by Anonymousreply 73November 28, 2021 1:18 AM

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - The Power Of Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 28, 2021 1:19 AM

Do They Know It's Christmas ~ Band Aid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 28, 2021 1:28 AM

Do You Hear What I Hear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 28, 2021 1:32 AM

Moscow Symphony

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 28, 2021 1:47 PM

I was a little gay tyke when that duet between Crosby and Bowie aired, and it was at that moment I understood camp.

Mary! Anyone who can snot herself over this macabre and grotesque pool of warm spittle sprinkled with Communion wafers needs to grow up.

by Anonymousreply 78November 28, 2021 2:39 PM

No love for Dominick the Donkey?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 28, 2021 2:52 PM

R63 OMG I was going to mention this! I sang Messiah in choir for several years and this was my favorite. Hella hard and we weren't very good but we felt heroic afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 80November 28, 2021 3:39 PM

Here comes Santa Claus and his big bag of shit

by Anonymousreply 81November 28, 2021 8:55 PM

Silver Vibrator

by Anonymousreply 82November 28, 2021 10:31 PM

"Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride IS Christmas to me"

Here you go....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 29, 2021 1:02 AM

The Turkey Lurkey Song

by Anonymousreply 84November 29, 2021 1:37 AM

Cannot think of a more ludicrous collaboration.

by Anonymousreply 85November 29, 2021 1:59 AM

Sorry, for me, there're many ties between:

"Patapan" by Julie Andrews "Ave Maria," respective arrangement-versions by Barbra Streisand and Leontyne Price "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas," respective versions by Streisand and Judy Garland "O Come, All Ye Faithful" "Holiday Feeling" by Steve and Eydie Gormé

by Anonymousreply 86November 29, 2021 3:00 AM

I really love those old ones from the 14th, 15th or 16th century, like this one:

"Gaudete"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 29, 2021 3:08 AM

Winter Wonderland, so many good versions of it! My favorites are by Connie Francis & the Eurythmics (separate songs). Also, Silent Night by Charlotte Church.

by Anonymousreply 88November 29, 2021 3:45 AM

^ LOL now that would be a collaboration. Eurythmics does a really good version. And I love Annie & Al Green's Put A Little Love In Your Heart. That's the direction I wish her Christmas album went in and not that wrist cutting droll we got.

by Anonymousreply 89November 29, 2021 11:07 AM

DL favorite David Archuleta and a plethora of Mormons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90November 29, 2021 1:43 PM

Super unpopular but I love Mariah. Bitch has the only modern Christmas carol that has become a permanent part of the canon. And it's fucking fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 29, 2021 1:48 PM

R72 I love that entire album, but my favorite from it is "Sleigh Ride".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 29, 2021 8:55 PM

I've already posted three times, but haven't seen any Percy Faith added to the list yet. I have always loved this arrangement (but I'm a huge geek for all of the 50s, 60s, and 70s orchestral stuff anyway, Christmas or not).

So, here is my all-time favorite version of "We Three Kings".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 29, 2021 9:22 PM

Hey, Santa! By Carnie & Wendy Wilson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 29, 2021 10:46 PM

Has eminent chanteuse Chrissy Metz released a holiday album yet?

by Anonymousreply 95November 29, 2021 10:47 PM

Fucker Face I love you.

Fucker Face I need you.

by Anonymousreply 96November 29, 2021 10:55 PM

Merry Fucking Christmas by Mr Garrison

Purple People (Christmas in Space) by Tori Amos is a close runner up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 29, 2021 11:06 PM

Thanks, R75. I will always love that song.

by Anonymousreply 98November 29, 2021 11:25 PM

Patient Zero?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 29, 2021 11:59 PM

Mariah's voice replaced by a midi piano

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 30, 2021 12:15 AM

R88 Connie Francis' version of Winter Wonderland is my favorite. I also like Trans Siberian's Christmas Canon.

by Anonymousreply 101November 30, 2021 2:55 AM

"Little Drummer Boy" is the worst Christmas song. What mother wants someone banging on a drum when she's trying to get her infant to sleep?

Ba-rump-a-bum, indeed.

"Joy to the World" is the best Christmas song.

by Anonymousreply 102November 30, 2021 4:42 AM

R101 Connie’s version gives me goosebumps like no other. Just typing this gave me the goosebumps! Her voice & the arrangement are so beautiful, sheer perfection.

by Anonymousreply 103November 30, 2021 7:12 AM

XXXmas horny holes

by Anonymousreply 104November 30, 2021 9:03 AM

Thanks, "Love, Simon" for reminding us of "Someday at Christmas" by The Jackson 5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 30, 2021 9:16 AM

[quote] Connie’s version gives me goosebumps like no other. Just typing this gave me the goosebumps! Her voice & the arrangement are so beautiful, sheer perfection.

jesus, joseph and MARY!

by Anonymousreply 106November 30, 2021 9:16 AM

So many to choose from....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 30, 2021 9:23 AM

"O Holy Night."

"Good King Wenceslas."

"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."

by Anonymousreply 108November 30, 2021 9:29 AM

Lick my man pussy holiday

by Anonymousreply 109November 30, 2021 11:49 PM

Do you have any more, R87? Not by that group (though I like the soloist), but other very old Christmas songs. Album recommendations? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 110December 1, 2021 12:05 AM

Yes, buy eat my snizz Santa or jingle big balls xmas on vinyl

by Anonymousreply 111December 1, 2021 1:07 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112December 1, 2021 2:53 AM

Veni veni Emmanuel

I find it hauntingly beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113December 1, 2021 3:03 AM

Santa Claus is Watching You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 8, 2021 2:04 PM

We live in deer country and love venison for Christmas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115December 8, 2021 9:11 PM

Hard Candy Christmas by Cyndi Lauper not Dolly Parton.

by Anonymousreply 116December 8, 2021 10:45 PM

Hard Candy Christmas is so depressing. I'm surprised Annie Lennox didn't have it on her Christmas album.

by Anonymousreply 117December 8, 2021 10:48 PM

In The Bleak Midwinter

by Anonymousreply 118December 8, 2021 11:19 PM

The Holly and the Ivy

by Anonymousreply 119December 8, 2021 11:21 PM

Happy Holidays performed by Peggy Lee

by Anonymousreply 120December 8, 2021 11:24 PM

Meat me under the tree

by Anonymousreply 121December 8, 2021 11:27 PM

"Christmas Day" - the Beach Boys

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 8, 2021 11:28 PM

Mrs. Partridge singing The Christmas Song is okay but I was always curious why there were only 4 stockings on the mantel when Shirley had 5 kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123December 8, 2021 11:38 PM

This Christmas by Donnie Hathaway

by Anonymousreply 124December 8, 2021 11:46 PM

Sometime in the mid-late ‘90’s in December, I was in Best Buy looking at cds and this song came on. I remember freezing in my tracks, not moving at all, because the combination of the beauty of the song, the familiarity of the singer, and the stupid Christmas feeling even the most black-hearted soul can get once in their life was all just so gloriously overwhelming.

Second fave is Patti Labelle singing O Holy Night. The first time I heard it, I was falling asleep with Letterman or Leno or someone on, she was a guest and sang it. I thought I was dreaming because her voice was simply perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125December 8, 2021 11:57 PM

Silent Night, my favorite version.

Among family this receives polarized reactions. I love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126December 9, 2021 12:18 AM

Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127December 9, 2021 12:18 AM

A little Billie for Christmas, yum!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128December 9, 2021 12:33 AM

I'm not a huge Mariah fan but I really like the way she does "O Holy Night".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129December 9, 2021 12:51 AM

"I Believe in Father Christmas" by Greg Lake, written as counter to the commerce of Christmas and what Christmas had become.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130December 9, 2021 12:56 AM

"Merry Christmas, I Don't Want to Fight Tonight" by the Ramones

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131December 9, 2021 12:58 AM

"The Season's Upon Us" by The Dropkick Murphys

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132December 9, 2021 12:59 AM

I love this Percy Faith Christmas album. Reminds me of my mom and my childhood.

Anyway, "Silver Bells" is probably my favorite track, followed by "Christmas Is"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 9, 2021 1:07 AM

Just saw r93!

by Anonymousreply 134December 9, 2021 1:08 AM

Bing liked to serenade his children with “Little Drummer Boy” before beating them with a stick.

by Anonymousreply 135December 9, 2021 1:14 AM

In the Bleak Midwinter (Julie Andrews cover)

The Christmas Song (Chesnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Judy)

by Anonymousreply 136December 9, 2021 1:25 AM

My favorite is Charlie Pride's version of O' Holy Night.

My second favorite is this one, the perfect DL xmas song:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137December 9, 2021 1:29 AM

The Holly and the Ivy

by Anonymousreply 138December 9, 2021 10:18 AM

Il Est Né, Le Divin Enfant- Siouxsie And The Banshees. I love this because it takes a sugary traditional French Christmas carol and gives it a gothic twist. The video is hilarious. Everyone but Siouxsie looks “overly refreshed”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 9, 2021 10:33 AM

Yesterday I heard “In the Bleak Midwinter” on the classical radio station. I’ve come to really like that one.

by Anonymousreply 140December 9, 2021 10:42 AM

R75 This has always been a favorite. In retrospect, some of the lyrics are a little fucked up, but how can you not love Boy George, bursting in like Aretha, with, "And in our worrrrrrrld of plentyyyyyy...."

by Anonymousreply 141December 9, 2021 11:07 AM

Mary! me all you want, but this never ceases to make me tear up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142December 9, 2021 11:07 AM

r60 writes,

[quote] It's a tie between Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle and The Christmas Waltz. I like Frank Sinatra's version best.

It's weird, and I don' t know why, but it wasn't until I was an adult that a first heard any version of "A Christmas Waltz". I think I heard it first on my cable provider Sounds of the Season.

I fell in love with it. I know it's been covered many times, but the first version I heard was by a woman vocalist. I'd like to say she was Nancy Wilson or Peggy Lee, not sure.

If a hear a man's voice singing it, I want it to be Sinatra. I adore his version.

I wish I

I too love Sinatra's

by Anonymousreply 143December 9, 2021 12:03 PM

oops, sorry, meant to delete "I wish I" and "I too love Sinatra's'

by Anonymousreply 144December 9, 2021 12:04 PM

No British people here or do they hate this? I first herd it on the British 'The Office' and thought it was delightfully unsentimental but sweet.

I love this band, all of them good decent guys who had a blast performing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145December 9, 2021 12:47 PM

I like this cute lil ditty from 1960s singer-songwriter Margo Guryan, who died recently. Claudine Longet did a fun version of this song too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146December 9, 2021 12:48 PM

'Herd' lol.

by Anonymousreply 147December 9, 2021 12:50 PM

Christmas at Our House

Barbara Mandrell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148December 9, 2021 1:49 PM

Winter Wonderland- Conway Twitty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149December 9, 2021 1:55 PM

I'll only admit to this on an anonymous message board -- All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 9, 2021 2:45 PM

R145, Slade were massively successful in the UK in the early 70s, and a lot of their songs are fondly remembered. This isn’t one of them. It is played everywhere you go from October onwards. I have had to listen to it for almost fifty years, and it sets my teeth on edge.

by Anonymousreply 151December 9, 2021 4:47 PM

Christmas coincides with the Winter Solstice which officially marks the darkest time of the year and the beginning of winter in the Northern Hemisphere. This is when seasonal affective disorder sets in, elderly people's lungs get swamped with pneumonia, and sensitive people start thinking about ending it all. That's why you have special feasts and lights and music and gift giving. It has nothing to do with the historical Jesus's birthdate, other than that it was convenient for the early Church to coopt pagan solstice festivals for that purpose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152December 9, 2021 4:57 PM

Love the holiday season

by Anonymousreply 153December 9, 2021 5:02 PM

I performed Morten Lauridsen's setting of "O Magnum Mysterium" in college chamber choir, and it immediately became a favorite, and he a favorite composer. The Nordic Chamber Choir's recording is singular. No one has done it better.

Program Note (via the internet, because I'm multitasking):

"O Magnum Mysterium" is a text from the Holy Matins of Christmas describing the wonderment of the animals as they gaze on Christ: “O great mystery and wonderful sacrament, that animals should see the newborn Lord, lying in a manger!”

That very last note gives me chills everytime (especially if I'm listening through headphones).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154December 9, 2021 5:56 PM

Another Lauridsen piece commonly performed during this season, is "Sure On This Shining Night", another favorite of mine. While popular in winter concert repertoire, the source poem is actually set in the summer season...

A program note (via the Internet):

"The text of Sure on This Shining Night is a poem by James Agee from his book “Permit Me Voyage”. The poem is written from the perspective of an older man walking outside on a summer night, reflecting back on his life."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155December 9, 2021 6:17 PM

I like the Johnny Mathis version of "Winter Wonderland"

by Anonymousreply 156December 9, 2021 6:36 PM

Boy that Annie L. Xmas album was painful to listen to & I say that as a fan of most of her music.

Sometimes the original arrangement of a song is the best way to do it & no new one will do it any justice.

She actually put an upbeat kids choir on "Silent Night" as some sort of echo on her version & thought it was okay?

All 12 were horrible & shrill.

by Anonymousreply 157December 9, 2021 6:57 PM

Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee

Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid

The Little Drummer Boy - Harry Simeone Chorale

The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You) - Nat King Cole

Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses

Do You Hear What I Hear? - Johnny Mathis

I Like a Sleighride (Jingle Bells) - Peggy Lee

Thanks For Christmas - XTC

What's This? (from The Nightmare Before Christmas - Danny Elfman

All I Want For Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey (I can't help it but I still love this song)

Ave Maria - Chris Cornell & Eleven

Christmas Canon - Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Underneath The Tree - Kelly Clarkson

Oh Holy Night - Andy Williams

Blue Christmas - Ann & Nancy Wilson

Christmas Time - Bryan Adams

Happy Holiday/The Holiday Season - Andy Williams

A Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives

O Holy Night - Celine Dion

by Anonymousreply 158December 9, 2021 7:05 PM

O helga natt - Nils Bech

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159December 9, 2021 7:31 PM

Try again. O helga natt - Nils Bech

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160December 9, 2021 7:34 PM

Do You Hear What I Hear? - Belinda Carlisle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 9, 2021 7:44 PM

Silver Bells - Belinda Carlisle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 9, 2021 7:45 PM

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Belinda Carlisle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163December 9, 2021 7:46 PM

Christmas Lullaby - Belinda Carlisle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164December 9, 2021 7:47 PM

Not really a Christmas song, but I love it this time of year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165December 9, 2021 8:17 PM

[quote] Sometimes the original arrangement of a song is the best way to do it & no new one will do it any justice.

I wish someone would've told that to Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 166December 9, 2021 9:31 PM

Before Annie Lennox went all Christmas funeral chic. I don't think she ever looked more beautiful in a music video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 9, 2021 9:35 PM

R143, it's Nancy Wilson .... the only version of this song for me. It's fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 168December 10, 2021 12:58 AM

McCartney’s Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time. And I’m not kidding!

by Anonymousreply 169December 10, 2021 1:16 AM

Here it is r168

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170December 10, 2021 1:17 AM

And Peggy Lee. Both vocalists are superb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171December 10, 2021 1:23 AM

"Every Year, Every Christmas" by Luther Vandross. This is my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 10, 2021 1:31 AM

Has anyone posted from Jackie Evancho yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173December 10, 2021 9:59 PM

Speaking of Karen, R37. I really love her version of 'Little Alter Boy'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174December 10, 2021 10:28 PM

"Skating" by Vince Guaraldi

"Hard Candy Christmas" is incredibly depressing (Tracey Thorn also did a version) but, as with "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," not therefore antithetical to the actual spirit of Christmas for many people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175December 10, 2021 10:42 PM

Grandma got run over by a reindeer

by Anonymousreply 176December 10, 2021 11:33 PM

Oh blow it out your ass!

by Anonymousreply 177December 11, 2021 12:41 AM

I always liked this odd rendition of Three Kings by Blondie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178December 11, 2021 1:10 AM

My Francophone self has always loved that one, R32.

We had to sing this one every year as the school headmaster loved it. The attached rendition is a much jolliet arrangment than the dirge I recall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179December 11, 2021 1:37 AM

Christmastime is Here, sung by Diana Krall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180December 11, 2021 1:44 AM

Santa Claus is Coming to Town, sung by the Jackson 5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181December 11, 2021 1:45 AM

Agree with Bowie Bing. Would also add "Jingle bell rock" and anything from Nat King cole

by Anonymousreply 182December 11, 2021 1:46 AM

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, sung by what's her name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183December 11, 2021 1:47 AM

Carol of the Bells, sung the right way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184December 11, 2021 1:52 AM

[quote]I really love her version of 'Little Alter Boy'.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 185December 11, 2021 2:31 PM

In Excelsis Deo (Angels We Have Heard On High)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186December 11, 2021 4:04 PM

Kay Thompson's Jingle Bells

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187December 11, 2021 4:26 PM

The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188December 11, 2021 4:44 PM

R178 I love that blondie Easter egg of a song too.

by Anonymousreply 189December 11, 2021 4:54 PM

Then he smiled at me, pa rum pa pa pum

It's only gas she said, pa rum pa pa pum

gas from his bum, pum pum...

by Anonymousreply 190December 12, 2021 9:23 AM

My new favorite song for this holiday season. Sing it Kristin, our new Material Girl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191December 12, 2021 1:35 PM

I like this one =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192December 12, 2021 2:34 PM

I'll Be Home For Christmas - Sugar Lime Blue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193December 12, 2021 2:41 PM

I've always like "Gabriel's Message" by Sting. It has a little of the echo-y medieval type sound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194December 12, 2021 2:41 PM

Captive audience at lunch to one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195December 12, 2021 5:49 PM

Hard Candy Christmas by Dolly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196December 12, 2021 10:16 PM

This would have been a better duet with Bing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197December 12, 2021 10:33 PM

I'm probably late, but I just heard this for the first time today. I like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198December 12, 2021 10:48 PM

The Mistletoe Jam - Luther Vandross

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199December 14, 2021 11:24 PM

A Kiss For Christmas - Luther Vandross

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200December 14, 2021 11:24 PM

With A Christmas Heart - Luther Vandross

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201December 14, 2021 11:26 PM

I Listen To The Bells - Luther Vandross

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202December 14, 2021 11:27 PM

My Favorite Things - Luther Vandross

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203December 14, 2021 11:28 PM

I adore Kathleen Battle. Especially, this Christmas song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204December 14, 2021 11:31 PM

Bells, Bows, Gifts, Trees

I can’t get enough of Todrick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205December 14, 2021 11:33 PM

Merry Christmas Baby - Billy Idol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206December 15, 2021 12:23 AM

Yellin' At the Christmas Tree - Billy Idol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207December 15, 2021 12:24 AM

Santa Claus Is Back In Town - Billy Idol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208December 15, 2021 12:25 AM

Christmas Love - Billy Idol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209December 15, 2021 12:27 AM

White Christmas - Billy Idol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210December 15, 2021 12:28 AM

Christmas Star - Debbie Gibson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211December 16, 2021 1:18 AM

lmao at r210

by Anonymousreply 212December 16, 2021 10:31 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213December 16, 2021 6:12 PM

Trish King Music doing some Christmas covers =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214December 17, 2021 12:50 AM

Part 2 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215December 17, 2021 1:07 AM

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but Oh Holy Night by Josh Groban is transformative.

It almost makes you believe all this Christmas chicanery is real.

I cried the first time I heard it.

by Anonymousreply 216December 17, 2021 1:12 AM

A nice romantic original...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217December 17, 2021 4:58 AM

R216 I like Josh's Ava Maria, as well.

by Anonymousreply 218December 17, 2021 12:20 PM

[quote] I cried the first time I heard it.

MARY's Boy Child!

by Anonymousreply 219December 17, 2021 12:21 PM

[quote]At work, I have been hearing Streisand belting out "My Favorite Things". If I didn't already despise her singing, that song would have done it by itself.

Where do you work? Barbra's basement mall?

by Anonymousreply 220December 17, 2021 12:26 PM

^what about Babs-on-crack single Jingle Bells? My bp goes through the roof when I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 221December 17, 2021 9:59 PM

This is a cute one that not many people have heard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222December 18, 2021 2:08 AM

Bette Midler & Johnny Mathis =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223December 19, 2021 5:05 PM

Cool Yule =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224December 19, 2021 5:05 PM

Some Mele K. =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225December 19, 2021 5:06 PM

This is a different version =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226December 19, 2021 5:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227December 19, 2021 5:07 PM

My favorite - and a great video creation for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228December 19, 2021 5:23 PM

They should do a Muppet version of the Bowie/Crosby duet, with Kermit as Bowie and Sam the Eagle as Crosby.

by Anonymousreply 229December 19, 2021 5:32 PM

Here comes Santa Claus and his big sack of shit

by Anonymousreply 230December 19, 2021 11:01 PM

Santa Claus and his old Lady by Cheech and Chong.

I heard it today and it has been a long time since I heard it last.

Still makes me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 231December 23, 2021 3:02 AM

[quote] Obviously O Holy Night, the only Christmas carol that bids you 'fall on your knees.' Obviously started life in the Catholic church.

Interestingly, while it is one of the most orthodox Christmas hymns, that evokes a solemn high church feeling, the English lyrics were translated by a Unitarian transcendentalist.

by Anonymousreply 232December 23, 2021 3:25 AM

I don't have a favourite, but I like The Christmas Song a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233December 23, 2021 3:42 AM

Shilver Bellsh

"Shitty shidewalksh, bushy shidewalksh, dresshed in holiday shtyle, in the air there's a feeling of Chrishmash"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234December 23, 2021 3:48 AM

Julie always makes me weep when I hear this. Mostly, for the loss of her wonderful voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235December 23, 2021 12:40 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 236December 23, 2021 12:58 PM

Here's a lovely one for Christmas Eve by our own John Legend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237December 24, 2021 11:25 AM

John Legend is one of the most boring performers ever.

by Anonymousreply 238December 24, 2021 12:03 PM

Bonnie McKee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239December 24, 2021 1:39 PM

Denis Leary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240December 24, 2021 1:43 PM

Gurl, the way she skips down those stairs in heels and that costume is not to be believed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241December 24, 2021 2:15 PM

A drag queen ice skating on Teflon. What could be more Christmas than that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242December 24, 2021 2:22 PM

I am in love with Sufjan Stevens. Bring a Torch is my fav.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243December 24, 2021 2:37 PM

Christmas Love by Maggie Roche

by Anonymousreply 244December 24, 2021 2:47 PM

R159 did not understand the assignment.

by Anonymousreply 245December 24, 2021 3:07 PM

I love Cynthia Clawson’s 1988 Christmas album Carolsinger.

by Anonymousreply 246December 24, 2021 6:57 PM

The "From A Distance Medley" - Jewel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247December 25, 2021 6:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248December 25, 2021 6:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249December 25, 2021 6:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250December 25, 2021 6:03 PM

Winter Wonderland - Jewel

It's hard to believe that this Xmas album has only sold 41,000 albums so far.

It's one of the better ones that I've listened to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251December 25, 2021 6:05 PM

Silent Night Boogie Woogie =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252December 26, 2021 12:16 AM

I Hear Sleigh Bells...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253December 26, 2021 12:18 AM

'Blue Christmas' by Elvis. Haven't heard it yet this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254December 26, 2021 12:35 AM

Deck the halls...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255December 26, 2021 6:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256December 26, 2021 7:05 PM

May as well reignite this thread with possibly the greatest Christmas song we DLers love to hate.

P.S, Tiny Tim was so very gay, I believe he was a homosexual anarchist. So gay he was straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257November 27, 2022 10:32 AM

This because its actually kind of dark, yet would be played while you were shopping in department stores in the 1960s and 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258November 27, 2022 1:05 PM

Oh Holy Night- Perry Como.

by Anonymousreply 259November 27, 2022 1:29 PM

The Supremes version of Silver Bells

by Anonymousreply 260November 27, 2022 1:35 PM

“BRING A TORCH JEANETTE ISABELLA” is the best Carol EVER!

by Anonymousreply 261November 27, 2022 1:54 PM

Love this version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262November 29, 2022 5:55 AM

I love The Little Drunkard Boy too, op.

by Anonymousreply 263November 29, 2022 6:01 AM

The climax of White Christmas....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264November 29, 2022 6:31 AM

It's Christmas Time again...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265November 29, 2022 6:36 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266November 29, 2022 7:10 AM

Have a Kung Fu Christmas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267December 10, 2022 11:08 PM

Miss Gore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268December 25, 2022 11:04 PM

Oh, Come, All Ye Faithful...IN LATIN

by Anonymousreply 269December 25, 2022 11:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!