Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stephen Sondheim is dead to me (sob, RIP)

I’m surprised this hasn’t been posted yet?

by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2021 5:24 PM

I hope you like surprises.

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2021 6:20 AM

Again, everything on DL is absolutely bonkers today. OP very obviously knew there was already a huge thread. Why pretend otherwise? What is this trolling accomplishing?

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2021 6:22 AM

The search function isn't great on this site, r2.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 6:25 AM

There there OP.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2021 7:16 AM

Please note the correct title format that we use for celebrities.

X is dead to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2021 7:19 AM

No one needs to use "dead to me," that's not a DL tradition.

Still, R2 is right, OP obviously knew this had already been posted.

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2021 7:23 AM

"Is Dead to Me!" is indeed a DL tradition.

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2021 7:30 AM

R3 thank you, I genuinely didn’t see this posted. I thought it was breaking news, color me embarrassed.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2021 7:35 AM

DefatTurd almost singlehandedly ruins this forum. It’s obviously miserable and it wants others to be miserable as well.

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2021 7:36 AM

I'd like to write a tribute to Stephen Sondheim, but so many others are more eloquent than I could ever be. I do need to say this: he was a great songwriter, of course, with a career envied by most composers and playwrights and poets. He was *the* great musical dramatist, perhaps the greatest there ever was. But ultimately, he was the most important person in theater in our lifetimes, comparable to Shakespeare. Yes, Sondheim is our Shakespeare. He is unequalled.

by Anonymousreply 10November 28, 2021 1:10 AM

Bump it with a trumpet.

by Anonymousreply 11November 28, 2021 2:54 AM

The original thread maxed out and is now closed. I guess we come here now (?)...

by Anonymousreply 12November 28, 2021 4:12 AM

This thread can be Lucy to the Jessie original.

by Anonymousreply 13November 28, 2021 5:04 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 28, 2021 5:58 AM

I've always wondered why he never did any acting. That face...so soft, so smooth, so...JABBA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 28, 2021 8:15 AM

What happened to his left eye and why didn't he have those brown and black marks removed from his face?

by Anonymousreply 16November 28, 2021 1:36 PM

R15 on today's "CBS Sunday Morning" they showed a picture when he acted.

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2021 1:55 PM

Is this the official Sondheim mourning thread PT2?

by Anonymousreply 18November 28, 2021 2:22 PM

Ben Platt posted a video of a Sondheim interview on his Instagram. Sondheim talks about the people who were teachers to him, including Oscar Hammerstein.

(You may have to hit the play button on the picture to view it.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 28, 2021 3:42 PM

Amusing Twitter anecdote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 28, 2021 4:31 PM

Yes, he acted a few times. Most notably in the play June Moon, which was filmed for TV, and is (or was) available on DVD. He also appeared as himself in the film Camp. You can hear him in Tick Tick Boom, of course, but also on the original cast album of Gypsy, speaking the line "You ain't getting 88¢ from me!"

There are two CDs of Sondheim Sings, with recordings he made of his own songs as demos for producers, orchestrators, etc. There's a lot more of that material out there, but as it is very much niche material no one wanted to spend the money to release it. Humblebrag: he lost most of those recordings in a fire at his home, and I was happy and proud to be able to replace a fair amount of it for him from my own collection.

by Anonymousreply 21November 28, 2021 6:56 PM

Do you think Johnny Mathis spent anytime hung in a closet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 28, 2021 7:20 PM

Johnny is hung, but not in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 23November 28, 2021 7:22 PM

Sondheim singing Move On at Michael Bennett's memorial

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2021 5:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!