Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A LARRY KING SPECIAL: THE DEATH OF STEPHEN SONDHEIM

Someone else start, I’ve got nothing.

by Anonymousreply 83December 2, 2021 5:18 PM

It was the young husband, just like my pal Martha Raye

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2021 1:24 AM

Something, something, "favorite film -- 'Jaws' or 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'?"...

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2021 1:24 AM

And we have Shirley Jones on the phone with us. Shirley, what was it like having your life played out in front of an audience in the musical "Follies"?

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 1:26 AM

So Stephen, what was your inspiration for Sunday In The Park With George?

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2021 1:28 AM

As we know, Stephen Sondheim brought England's cryptic crosswords to New York Magazine in 1968.

Does that mean engraved words will be across and down in his crypt?

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2021 1:29 AM

Steve wrote a wonderful show about George Michael looking for sex in local parks. It was called "Sunday in the Park with George." For those of you who aren't familiar with the gay lifestyle, many gay men go to local parks looking for sex in the bushes. Sunday is often the best day to go so that they can call in sick on Monday morning.

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2021 1:31 AM

"We had hoped to have Elaine Stritch join us by telephone, but apparently she's unavailable."

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2021 1:32 AM

We have Donna Murphy on the line. Donna, you starred in a Sondheim musical. What was it like playing the character Fresca?

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2021 1:39 AM

And we have Queen Elizabeth on the phone. Welcome your Royal Highness. Is it true that your mother used to sit around drinking gin and singing "Liaisons"?

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2021 2:00 AM

"We have a very sad and special 'Larry King Show' for you tonight. One of America's greatest musical guys, Stephen Sond--is it 'Heem'? 'Hime'?---passed away, I'm told to '3/4 time'."

"To discuss Steve's legacy we have tonight a distinguished panel, some you might have heard of: Her Royal Highness Princess Meghan of Montecito, who will tell us about her favorite songs; Steve's talented son Tommy Tune; the Mayor of Trondheim; and hairdresser to the stars, Liza's step-brother Joey Eber, who will talk about blue."

"Taking your questions now. Go ahead, Syosset!"

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2021 2:33 AM

We've had some callers asking how I'm still broadcasting. Well it wasn't easy! We had to rig up a special astral-to-NTSC converter. Sometimes they call a converter a dongle. The nice thing about the afterlife is that my own dongle works again. You wouldn't believe what goes on here.

Another nice thing about the afterlife is that you become the best version of yourself. So I'm feeling sharp as a tack.

Now let's get back to Steven Sontag. He wasn't just a funny New York Jew. He was a true renaissance man. He made hats, he ran a catering company, he designed architectural follies, and he even worked in musical theater, writing classics like Pippin and Godspell. We'll be talking with many of his theater cronies, starting with singer-turned-lawyer Patti Loophole. Patsy, I understand Steven left everything to his nephew. But before we get into that, didn't you and Steve have a feud over Sunrise Boulevard? Have you forgiven him?

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2021 6:14 PM

Tell us, Steve, how was it to be the lead actor in 7th Heaven?

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2021 6:21 PM

In a few moments, we'll be speaking with Stephen's wife, Judy Collins.

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2021 6:26 PM

And Steve's mama, Joan Collins!

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2021 6:27 PM

These Larry King threads are so tired and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2021 6:29 PM

Thank you for your very tired and extremely unfunny contribution, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2021 6:32 PM

We're here now with Elaine Page, the spokeslady for A&P's fine line of products. Elaine, did Steve enjoy snacking on your Spanish Bar Cake? Hold that thought while we bring you this word from the vivacious Phyllis Newman and Femiron.

by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2021 6:32 PM

Larry: "Now Steve: people say "Follies" is the greatest musical ever written...but for my money, it's gotta be "Fiddler"!"

by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2021 6:40 PM

Next we'll talk about his best song, "Matchmaker, matchmaker".

by Anonymousreply 19November 27, 2021 6:43 PM

...author of famous musical stage hits The Shining, Cujo, and Salem's Lot.

by Anonymousreply 20November 27, 2021 6:46 PM

[quote]These Larry King threads are so tired and unfunny.

Some of them are actually hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 21November 27, 2021 6:47 PM

Larry: "Now answer me this, Steve...why doesn't Kaye Ballard work more?"

by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2021 6:52 PM

So we are back, and the death of Stephen Sondheim is very tragic. I will have some guests on that knew him later in the show, but I do want to talk about how his death will touch many. Where will we get the shoes he is so famous for? I wore his shoes since I began in radio. Bob Hope introduced me to his line of shoes, so well crafted and they were like walking on butter.

It was when Bob was telling me about him and his lovely wife being in a bomb shelter during the bombing of London and the gentleman next to him kept passing gas. It was one of the funniest stories I have ever heard, and Bob said the man kept commenting on his wonderful shoes.

by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2021 6:53 PM

Stephen Heimerstein, son of King Oscar Heimerstein the Second, has passed away.

by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2021 7:03 PM

Ssssteven Ssssssonheim wrote my big TERRIF hit Losing My Mind--even before I did!

Larry, that mansha PROPHET!!!

by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2021 7:08 PM

We're joined now by the effervescent Catherine Zeta-Gellar, who won an Oscar for the Broadway revival of Soundheim's "A Little Light Music."

Cathy, I heard a rumor that Soundheim was into H&M. Have you ever shopped there?

Cath, I can't understand you. Could stop tap-dancing and take a breath? Cath?

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2021 7:18 PM

Tell us, Steve, what was it like having Dr Ruth as your sister?

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2021 7:19 PM

These threads always crack me up. I’m not funny enough to contribute, but they’re fun to read. You bitches are funny.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2021 7:21 PM

And now, on the phone from London, Dame Angela Lansbury, who originated the role of pie-maker Mrs. Lovey in Sweeney Todd. Tell me, why no apple pies?

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2021 7:26 PM

Special: The Death of Sandahl Bergman continues after these messages from Ayds candy!

by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2021 7:29 PM

Joining us by breaking into the studio is the inimitable and inescapable James Corden. I guess he did something in the theater once? James, let me just ask this: how can we miss you if you never go away?

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2021 7:42 PM

We'll have Lynn Miranda, that fabulous New York Follies dancer ,after our next break, doing her famous Pole Dance from her upcoming musical Kosciuszko a hip hop recreation of the Civil War that owes everything to Trondheim.

by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2021 7:50 PM

I loved Shondheim!

by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2021 8:32 PM

Larry King is like Stephen Sondheim to me: the Schrödinger's cats of celebrity deaths.

I can never remember if they're alive or not without Googling.

by Anonymousreply 34November 27, 2021 8:34 PM

Let's talk about my prostate.

by Anonymousreply 35November 27, 2021 8:41 PM

When he'd send in the clowns, was it in a car?

by Anonymousreply 36November 27, 2021 8:50 PM

This might've made my heart skip a few beats if I weren't using Garlique, the natural herbal supplement! Garlique, as in unique.

by Anonymousreply 37November 27, 2021 8:59 PM

I want to "W" many here, but I not allowed to, neither on my Kindle nor Galaxy phone! 😞

by Anonymousreply 38November 27, 2021 9:04 PM

"I'm"

by Anonymousreply 39November 27, 2021 9:05 PM

We wanted Lee Remick here, but she was unavailable. Panel, tell me -- is it true Anyone Can Whistle? Laine Kazan! What say you?

by Anonymousreply 40November 27, 2021 9:13 PM

Next up we'll talk to Rina Marinara who starred with Natalie Woods in the original Emmy winning film version of West Side Stony - and of course Rina is featured as GlandHand in the new Steve Allen version of the play soon to be in a stream near your house.

But first, tell me, Dr. Joyce Bothers - is it true that Steve was a Sondheimite?

by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2021 9:16 PM

LARRY: We're joined now by British actress Madonna, who is famed for her Sondheim interpretations. My Donna, what language were the songs in originally?

MADONNA: These are my tits, Larry!

LARRY: Whoa, that's too scary for basic cable. Let's go to something less controversial. Up next is Rose McGowan to tell us about auditioning for Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2021 9:17 PM

Next we have Patti LuPone on the phone telling us all about the time Stephen gave her a private tour of his sex dungeon. Just a moment, recording studio? Oh, it was the recording studio? Who do we have on the line about the sex dungeon? We'll be having that person in the final segment, I see. So, keep watching!

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2021 9:17 PM

You never married... why?

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2021 9:20 PM

Coming up in the next segment, we'll have Lucie Arnaz in the studio to talk about why her stepfather, Gary Morton, didn't allow her mother Lucille Ball to work with the late great Steve Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2021 9:29 PM

Up next on Larry King Live...

Mickey Rooney and Ann Miller fresh off their starring roles in 'Sugar Babies' will reminisce about their lunch dates at Rumpelmayer’s and after-show drinks at Sardi's with Stephen Sondheim

No one does New York like Mickey, Annie and Stevie!

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2021 9:38 PM

Shtephen Shondheim, sho shad about thish. Larry.

by Anonymousreply 47November 27, 2021 9:42 PM

Next up is Alec Baldwin who recently joined the cast of Assassins with Kathie Lee Harvey Gifford and Leslie Odoms Van Houten.

by Anonymousreply 48November 27, 2021 9:44 PM

James Spader—it’s good to see you. Love The Blackish. Some of the funniest stuff on television. Steven very famously directed you in one of his earliest films, “Sex Lives on Videotape.” Did he like to watch?

by Anonymousreply 49November 27, 2021 9:57 PM

Coming up, I'm joined by Jake Gyllenhaal, Natalie Portman, Andrew Garfield and Rachel Weisz for a segment called "Four Jews in a Room Bitching." Uh, that's a really great musical theater joke that went over everybody's head. Appropriate for a Sondheim tribute I guess. My producer said we should do a marvelous joke, but I thought that one was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 50November 27, 2021 10:43 PM

"Welcome back to the 'Larry King Show,' brought to you by Potrzebie Holograms, whose famous slogan is 'What, Me Die?' Leah Michelle Gellar, the rumor that Hymie Stephens wanted you and your dog Barbra to star in his new musical 'Piddler On The Patio'---what say you?"

"Our phone lines are open. Go ahead, Bayside!"

by Anonymousreply 51November 27, 2021 11:21 PM

Sondheim- is that German?

by Anonymousreply 52November 27, 2021 11:32 PM

Next up: the dynamic Miss Ova Horseshoe, renowned for starring as Cher's mom in [italic]Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves.[/italic] I'll be asking her why her first name is "Eggs" in Latin, but first, let's hear from Lume, the new deodorant that keeps your sex parts kissing sweet.

by Anonymousreply 53November 27, 2021 11:38 PM

Steven, I've always found those car chases and shoot-em-ups in your movies very exciting. Tell me, why did you turn down the role in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? Hell of a role in my opinion!

by Anonymousreply 54November 27, 2021 11:40 PM

Next up, the great Torah Feldshush performs 'A Roses Turns' from Sondheim's his musical 'Cats.'

by Anonymousreply 55November 28, 2021 1:30 AM

hit musical Cats, that is. Hit it Tora Tora Tora!

by Anonymousreply 56November 28, 2021 1:31 AM

Your show Cabaret was a big hit for Liza. Did the two of you become close as she seems attracted to gay fellows?

by Anonymousreply 57November 28, 2021 1:50 AM

Angela Lansbury, what a cunt. Am I right Steve?

by Anonymousreply 58November 28, 2021 1:55 AM

[quote]Angela Lansbury, what a cunt. Am I right Steve?

Bad mother. Drug addict kids. Made them build her house in Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 59November 28, 2021 2:00 AM

After the break we'll have Gayle King on the line to ask some important questions. Gayle will be asking also about Steve & his lovely wife Eydie. Steve wrote the play Golden Showers for them to headline in.

LARRY: Gail are you there? Gail? Oh Hi Oprah How nice for you to join us as well. . My you are breathing hard. Are you OK? is Gail there with you? Oh, she's just rinsing out & washing her face. Yes, we'll hold.

GAYLE: Hey Larry, hang on I seem to have a bit of hair stuck in my throat. (Coughing & spitting). OK I"m here, Larry. I guess we all want to know. Did Stevie die of natural causes? Will Golden Showers go forward without Stevie? Is Eydie OK?

by Anonymousreply 60November 28, 2021 2:08 AM

We enjoyed his play "Velvita". That Patty Duke can sing!

by Anonymousreply 61November 28, 2021 2:15 AM

"Show business personified. A person who remade the American theater. Someone whose likes we aren't likely to see again. I'm speaking, of course, of the dynamic Barbara Eden, who will be joining us after the break and I'll see if she's heard of Steven Sondberg."

by Anonymousreply 62November 28, 2021 2:31 AM

These Larry King threads make me laugh harder than anything. They are Datalounge at its best.

by Anonymousreply 63November 28, 2021 5:54 AM

"Welcome to this special Broadway edition of 'Larry King Live?'." Tonight we're paying tribute to the late Steven Wonderheim."

"He was called Little Stevie, but he was a giant in musical theater, penning hits such as 'Oy, Do I Have Some Schmaltz!'; 'Sunday in the Park with George, Paul, John, and Ringo'; and, of course, Stevie's paean to his favorite medication, 'A Little Night Mucinex'."

"Now tell us, Ms. Peters---may I call you Bernadette?---when did you first realize Steverino was a friend of Dorothy Provine? Was it when he introduced you to his four tops?"

"Audience, the phone lines are open. Go ahead, Secaucus!"

by Anonymousreply 64November 28, 2021 12:32 PM

Rogers and Sondheim gave us some of the greatest musicals in history... Antigone!, Oklahomo, The Sound of Music. After the break, Ginger Rogers great grandson, Mark-Rick Stevens, joins us from Fire Island to perform a Climb Every Mountain with Liza Milleni!

by Anonymousreply 65November 28, 2021 12:52 PM

After the break we'll be talking to that powerhouse belter Ethel Mertz who of course starred in GYPSUM where Stan wrote the words that went along to the music written by Julie Andrews......

And of course we'll have Mark Marky Wallers to do a number from Stan's bee bop musical A FUNKY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY.

by Anonymousreply 66November 28, 2021 4:56 PM

Glenn, you babysat Sondheim. I know you can't sing, but could he?

by Anonymousreply 67November 28, 2021 5:02 PM

After the break, we'll be joined live on a Zoo call by Broadway's hottest ingenue, Ben Platt. Ben is famous for doing his own stunts, so let's find out if he hurt himself jumping through that window. But first a word from our sponsor, Trojans.

Boy, I can't keep up. I thought Broadway's hottest ingenue was Pia Zadora. Now she had some big talents. Or what about that kid from Rent? They say he was touched by greatness.

What do you mean, hot mike? Who's he?

by Anonymousreply 68November 28, 2021 5:18 PM

Where were you on 9/11?

by Anonymousreply 69November 28, 2021 5:21 PM

LARRY KING: The death of Stefan Sondchime has raised so many questions, like "Do I hear a waltz?" and "Does anyone still wear a hat?" But the biggest one is, what did he die of? Here with medical insight is Dr. Doogie Howser.

NEIL PATRICK HARRIS: Uh, Larry, I'm not a doctor. I just played one on TV.

KING: That's okay. I'm not a journalist but I play one on TV. Could it have been hemorrhoids? Those can be a real killer. Trust me.

HARRIS: Uh....

KING: Speaking of medical curiosities, how teeny was Todd, exactly?

HARRIS: Uh....I was in Assassins...

KING: So it was hemorrhoids. Thank you, Doctor. Coming up we've got James Lapine, Tony Kushner, Tim Burton, and could it be? Yes, it could! Sally Struthers is joining us after this word from First Alert.

by Anonymousreply 70November 28, 2021 6:56 PM

Nancy Kerrigan you were up for Ice Follies until Alexis Smith capped your knee. Did she ever apologize. We still mourn the death of your husband Dean Paul Martin. Why didn't his first wife Olivia Hussey have a better career, and why does your stepdaughter India Eisley spreak with an English accent if she was born and raised in LA.

by Anonymousreply 71November 28, 2021 7:37 PM

And now, let's talk to Lindsey Buckingham, who's here to tell us about his mad passionate affair with Stevie Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 72November 28, 2021 8:42 PM

There it is again. I do hear a waltz! Murray, can you check my earpiece?

by Anonymousreply 73November 29, 2021 6:17 AM

LK: "Stevie Wonder Sondheim was one of the preeminent playwrights of our generation, even though he was blind as a bat. By 'our generation', I mean those of us who are now dead. Here in my heavenly studio is the Oscar-winning star of 'Southside Story', George Michael Chakiris. Mr. Chicklis, how did it feel to go from winning an Oscar for being light in your loafers, to playing a po-po in 'The Commish'? Did you feel the need to keep up with Dennis Franz showing his supple behind on 'NYFD Red'? Why did you never come out as a homo? Before you answer, a word from our sponsor Truvada. Chicklis, perhaps you could get an endorsement deal with them!"

by Anonymousreply 74November 29, 2021 9:46 AM

"Tonight's special 'Larry King Live?' is coming to you from the Great White Way---is it okay to say that, because I don't want to offend my Negroes out there. Theatres need their cleaning crews!"

"Please welcome my first guest, Etsy Pinza, original star of Stephen 'Sondra' Locke's musical 'Southern Pacific Railroad'. Etsy also found new fame this year with the Pop ditty about his Covid-19 shots, 'Needles In Pinza'."

"Tell us, Needles, did it bother you to drink Bloody Marys on stage with the transgender Nelly Bush?"

"Our phone lines are open. Go ahead, Douglaston!"

by Anonymousreply 75November 29, 2021 6:15 PM

Have we heard from Debbie Reynolds? She always has many details and fond memories of anyone who has passed to Glory.

by Anonymousreply 76November 29, 2021 6:34 PM

Will his widower, Jeff Romley be interviewed?

by Anonymousreply 77November 29, 2021 6:34 PM

"Joining us now is Chita Moreno, one of the original stars of the West Side Story.... "

by Anonymousreply 78December 2, 2021 2:38 AM

Oscar Wilde was charged with “sondheim” in the late 1800s

by Anonymousreply 79December 2, 2021 3:29 AM

On the phone is Melissa etheridge who sang “the ladies who munch”. Melissa what were you munching on?

by Anonymousreply 80December 2, 2021 2:26 PM

"Greetings from tonight's special episode of 'The Larry King Show', where we interview the lovely Julie Newmar about her breakthrough role in her husband Andrew's musical homage, 'The Sondheims of Music'."

"Tell us, Julia, how was it working with the late, great drag queen John Cameron Swayze? Did his Timex keep on ticking? Word is there was Some Ting Wong---what say you?"

"Before we hear from Sally Darktown Struthers, the phone lines are open. Go ahead, Throggs Neck!"

by Anonymousreply 81December 2, 2021 3:50 PM

In just a minute we'll be talking to Broadway preformer Larry Court who slept with Stan to get leading roles in both West Site Stories and Companies.....I'm sure he'll have a lot to say.

Kristy Chenowith wanted to be with us but she is still recovering from her face rift surgery.

But first this from Super Beets!

by Anonymousreply 82December 2, 2021 4:18 PM

Haha, r82! I eat Super Beets Chews!

by Anonymousreply 83December 2, 2021 5:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!